A Robert E. Howard moment.....

RexMundi

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A Robert E. Howard moment.....

He was out all the time. HPL really got around, the whole Never left his house thing is a popular Myth. http://www.hplovecraft.com/life/myths.asp Those excursions may not sound like much but Travel wasn't really EASY until the 60's or so if you really think about it.

As for Howard. His "reasons" for checking out are still a Mystery. The guy was pretty much at the top of his game when he got the news his Mother was in a coma, then, Bang. Still doesn't make much sense to a lot of folks.

~Rex

Yeah... if we could only get HPL a typist and some medical care and REH some counseling... imagine if he'd had another 20 years (or more) to evolve and continue to create.

One of my favorite pastimes is thinking about what Robert E. Howard might have written had he lived longer. Just imagine the stories he could have written about WWII.

One of my favorite pastimes is thinking about what Robert E. Howard might have written had he lived longer. Just imagine the stories he could have written about WWII.

He would have been what? 35? He might have served in WWII.

First let me say that I haven't got to read any Steve Costigan. Nor have I even heard of Breck Elkins. But I can confidently say that the final brawl would be between Kull the Conquer and Conan the Cimmerian. Why? Because Howard has explicitly stated that Barabarians are better than Civilised man. So it would be down these two. Though I just remebered that Kull has come to the aide of Bran Mak Morn, so that could throw a monkey wrench in the bar fight. But considering everything that Conan survived, he would be the winner, unless he was drunk. Could any of the other characters survive an attack by the vicous man-eater gray ape, or could cut giant snakes in twain?

But I could be wrong.

Kull is Conan. The Phoenix and the Sword is a rewrite of By This Ax I Rule! - which was a better piece of writing than the version that got published back in the day. Both Kull and Conan were barbarians who were enslaved and then rose to seize the crowns of civilized kingdoms. Both prove brooding, thoughtful kings. Its one of those "fighting with myself" situations. One major difference though: where Conan mostly gripes about it being restricted by the system once he's king, Kull smashes the tablets of law and demands he be tyrant by natural right. He's the one who forces charismatic absolute rule barbarian king style with his force of will. But, on the other hand, Conan punched out Cthulu.

Kull is Conan. The Phoenix and the Sword is a rewrite of By This Ax I Rule! - which was a better piece of writing than the version that got published back in the day. Both Kull and Conan were barbarians who were enslaved and then rose to seize the crowns of civilized kingdoms. Both prove brooding' date=' thoughtful kings. Its one of those "fighting with myself" situations. One major difference though: where Conan mostly gripes about it being restricted by the system once he's king, Kull smashes the tablets of law and demands he be tyrant by natural right. He's the one who forces charismatic absolute rule barbarian king style with his force of will. But, on the other hand, Conan punched out Cthulu.[/quote']

Wait... when was Conan a slave? Or, should I say... when did REH say Conan was a slave?

I seem to remember his first story being him having just escaped slavery, running from wolves, and taking cover in a haunted tomb, kills a Zombie and gains a sword. Next step Wolve burgers for lunch! Might not be first published though...I last read REH some 30 years ago....

I seem to remember his first story being him having just escaped slavery' date=' running from wolves, and taking cover in a haunted tomb, kills a Zombie and gains a sword. Next step Wolve burgers for lunch! Might not be first published though...I last read REH some 30 years ago....[/quote']

That wasn't an REH story, but one of the L. Sprague and de Camp pastiches.

Thinking of Howard and WWII' date=' I keep coming back around to Sgt Rock.[/quote']

Sgt. Rock is still one of my all time favorite comics, and I'm still a big fan of the entire Kubert Legacy. Unfortunately, THOSE PEOPLE IN HOLLYWOOD, are going to take our Rock, and make a futuristic movie of The Rock and the boys of Easy Co. So, say good bye to the Thompson .45 and cool characters, Hello to Blaster Rifles and Star Ship Troopers armor......

~Rex.....says watch out for the Conan follow ups by other Writers. Really the only Post Howard Conan/Kull/Solomon Kane etc, that was ever worth a hill of beans, came in the Comic Format. Not the novels. Except no substitutes.

So, Kull, Conan, Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, El Borak, and Sailor Steve Costigan all walk into a Bar. Who's the last one standing at the end of the inevitable Brawl?

~Rex

Whichever one brought a gun. :snicker:

Armed with bladed weapons? Conan or Kull. Barehanded? No question... Esau Cairn.

Guns? In a Brawl in a Bar? This is Robert E. Howard we're talking about, not some throw down between Thugnificant and .50 Cent .......

~Rex

Wait, is "Thugnificant" a real rapper? 'cause if not, I am so stealing that for someone.