How would you

JmOz

Originally posted by Yamo

Yes, but who said anything about 350 points? :confused:

Well I think most of us prefer to see power examples which can be utilized by player characters. But as I said above, I am sure you will see some Time powers in the USPD for more inspiration of you do not wish to purchase Digital Hero. I am content to use my personel version above. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Monolith

3d6, on average, will drain a point of Speed. It is not always accurate, but close enough. Also a 5x Rapid Fire will will drain someone from 5 to 0 Speed. For characters with more Speed, or for poor rolls, you could easily state that it is a slowing process. That is all part of the SFX.

Once again, my example was for personal time stop, not the 10,000 point version Steve did for Universal Time Stop. :) The TK would slow things down, but it would not stop items weighing more than 400 kg which entered the field.

I did not say to link them. I said to put each of the powers into an EC slot to bring the cost down. :)

The biggest problems are that power defense stops it, and that strong or heavy characters have a huge advantage compared to weak characters. Neither of these seem appropriate to a timestop power.

If the 2 powers are in a EC, that would mean that you would have to use them in consecutive phases, which could lead to inappropriate side effects.

For Yamo:

Time Stop: Telekinesis (150 STR), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Selective Target (+1/4), Megascale (Planet) (1" = 10000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4) (900 Active Points)

This version should stop everything and everyone dead in their tracks on the whole planet. :)

Originally posted by Gary

The biggest problems are that power defense stops it, and that strong or heavy characters have a huge advantage compared to weak characters. Neither of these seem appropriate to a timestop power.

The Speed Drain has nothing to do with how strong the person in the AE is. Power Defense is an issue, but that is rare, and once again who says Power Defense isn't the negator of Time Stop? :)

If the 2 powers are in a EC, that would mean that you would have to use them in consecutive phases, which could lead to inappropriate side effects.

You are unfamiliar with the concept of MPA and Zero Phase actions I take it?

The Speed Drain has nothing to do with how strong the person in the AE is. Power Defense is an issue, but that is rare, and once again who says Power Defense isn't the negator of Time Stop? :)

You are unfamiliar with the concept of MPA and Zero Phase actions I take it?

The strength part is if spd isn't fully drained. Example, a 10 str energy projector gets drained to 1 spd. This projector is helpless, unless he has enough flight to blast out. A str 60 brick drained to 1 spd can easily leap, run, or fly out of the tk, since even his casual str is enough to break it. Thus, strong characters have an advantage.

I didn't think you were allowed to use MPA with 2 slots in a EC. I could be wrong about this, since I don't have the rule book with me.

The strength part is if spd isn't fully drained. Example, a 10 str energy projector gets drained to 1 spd. This projector is helpless, unless he has enough flight to blast out. A str 60 brick drained to 1 spd can easily leap, run, or fly out of the tk, since even his casual str is enough to break it. Thus, strong characters have an advantage.

This is true, but it is not an absolute. In most games a brick will only have a 4-5 Speed, and thus will be a 0 Speed when he is hit. This means he will not get an attempt to break out.

If your game has everyone with 6-8 Speeds then you would probably need to Rapid Fire the attack 6-7 times instead of 5. :)

I didn't think you were allowed to use MPA with 2 slots in a EC. I could be wrong about this, since I don't have the rule book with me.

You aren't allowed too. That was my mistake when I typed it. But you are allowed to activate a Change Enviroment as a zero phase action, just as you are a Darkness field. Thus you zero phase the CE and then attack with the Drain.

This is true, but it is not an absolute. In most games a brick will only have a 4-5 Speed, and thus will be a 0 Speed when he is hit. This means he will not get an attempt to break out.

If your game has everyone with 6-8 Speeds then you would probably need to Rapid Fire the attack 6-7 times instead of 5. :)

You aren't allowed too. That was my mistake when I typed it. But you are allowed to activate a Change Enviroment as a zero phase action, just as you are a Darkness field. Thus you zero phase the CE and then attack with the Drain.

I'll concede that you can simply up the number of dice of the speed drain to zap everyone.

I thought any power that requires an attack roll ended your phase. I'm pretty sure that CE, Darkness, Images, and Force Wall all require an attack roll, even if trivial.

I thought any power that requires an attack roll ended your phase. I'm pretty sure that CE, Darkness, Images, and Force Wall all require an attack roll, even if trivial.

You might be right there. That I do not remember off the top of my head. If it is considered an attack power then I would buy both powers outside of an EC and then link the Drain to the CE.

Originally posted by MisterVimes

Here's an easy cop-out

Cost Power END
1219 Time Stop: Transform 25d6: Transforms all targets into targets frozen in time (Major), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Megascale (planet) (1" = 10000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4) (1219 Active Points) 122
Powers Cost: 1219

There we go. MisterVimes has solved the issue for us all. But I do so hate using Transform for everything. :)

My take on Timestop

This is a bit quirky, and IDHMBIFOM, so I will

probably be off on the points and modifiers...

Extradimensional travel 20 Other times +20

Time travel only -1/2 Only to the beginning of this phase -1

Constant +1 ( 80 active, 32 real ) PLUS Desolid linked -1/2

( 40 active, 27 real ) Total cost 59 real points.

Special effect being that everything the character

isn't interacting with stays still instead of zipping back

and forth for 1second of movement.

There we go. MisterVimes has solved the issue for us all. But I do so hate using Transform for everything. :)

Yeah... me too. But in the case of Time Stoppage, I might consider using it just because there are SO many factors. If you were to go with a SPD drain AND Darkness (all sense including mental) AND 300+ STR TK AND grant everyone LS: Does not age during the effect, that's one raeally big power that could just as easily be defined as "Hey guys... um, time stopped... just an FYI."

Re: My take on Timestop

Originally posted by Arkham

Extradimensional travel 20 Other times +20

Time travel only -1/2 Only to the beginning of this phase -1

Constant +1 ( 80 active, 32 real ) PLUS Desolid linked -1/2

( 40 active, 27 real ) Total cost 59 real points.

Special effect being that everything the character

isn't interacting with stays still instead of zipping back

and forth for 1second of movement.

You would need Usable As Attack on there, and then probably some Reduced End, but I could see that being a very useful single person Time Stop as well.

Yeah... me too. But in the case of Time Stoppage, I might consider using it just because there are SO many factors. If you were to go with a SPD drain AND Darkness (all sense including mental) AND 300+ STR TK AND grant everyone LS: Does not age during the effect, that's one raeally big power that could just as easily be defined as "Hey guys... um, time stopped... just an FYI."

I think Time Stop is, just as Steve has said for the "Rogue Effect", something which should be powers outside of the player's ability to have. They are caveat powers which few players have the maturity to use in genre. For example:

Extra-Dimensional Movement, Usable As Attack. 40 AP.

There is an absolute power that a player could depopulate the entire gaming univese with. While that power works well in the GM's hands as part of a controlled storyline (as with Nebula), it does not work well in the player's hands.

Ultimately all the powers mentioned in this thread are major Stop Sign powers, and most of them should not be allowed to player characters for fear of inbalance. GMs do not have control over an adventure like the writer of a comic book does, and that can lead to a great deal of danger.

Re: Re: My take on Timestop

You would need Usable As Attack on there, and then probably some Reduced End, but I could see that being a very useful single person Time Stop as well.

Why would you need usable as attack? The only one

technically traveling though time is the user... The desolid

is mostly there so that if they stand still for a turn, they

don't timetravel into themselves and get hurt...

And as a GM, I wouldn't allow 0 end, otherwise the

PC could wander around indefinately with the whole

Multiverse stuck in time, until they decide to release it.

But 1/2 end, I could see. That's an expensive power.

Re: Re: Re: My take on Timestop

Originally posted by Arkham

Why would you need usable as attack? The only one

technically traveling though time is the user... The desolid

is mostly there so that if they stand still for a turn, they

don't timetravel into themselves and get hurt...

I thought you were discussing a power that made time stop for someone else. I did not realize you meant that time would stop for the user. My bad. :)

I think Time Stop is, just as Steve has said for the "Rogue Effect", something which should be powers outside of the player's ability to have. They are caveat powers which few players have the maturity to use in genre. For example:

Extra-Dimensional Movement, Usable As Attack. 40 AP.

There is an absolute power that a player could depopulate the entire gaming univese with. While that power works well in the GM's hands as part of a controlled storyline (as with Nebula), it does not work well in the player's hands.

Twilight zone "It's a Good Life" anyone?

Ultimately all the powers mentioned in this thread are major Stop Sign powers, and most of them should not be allowed to player characters for fear of inbalance. GMs do not have control over an adventure like the writer of a comic book does, and that can lead to a great deal of danger.

I think that goes without saying (but some players might need it said anyway).

Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on Timestop

I thought you were discussing a power that made time stop for someone else. I did not realize you meant that time would stop for the user. My bad. :)

It's all good. :)

Now given that it is intended for the PC to essentially

'step out of time' for a while, does it work thematically, and

rules-wise for the issue at hand?

And all for less than 60 real points?

Here is my take on the Jericho effect... nit-pick

Cost Power END
67 Jericho Effect: Multiform (only to become character 'controlled' (500 Character Points in the most expensive form), Reversion (+0) (100 Active Points); Costs END (Only To Change) (Only To Change; -1/2) [Notes: Used to become controlled character] 10
3 Jericho Effect II: Teleportation 1", Transdimensional (Single Dimension; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (5 Active Points); Linked to Jericho Effect (-1/2) [Notes: Used to move controlled target away] 1
Powers Cost: 70

Here is my take on the Jericho effect... nit-pick

Cost Power END
67 Jericho Effect: Multiform (only to become character 'controlled' (500 Character Points in the most expensive form), Reversion (+0) (100 Active Points); Costs END (Only To Change) (Only To Change; -1/2) [Notes: Used to become controlled character] 10
3 Jericho Effect II: Teleportation 1", Transdimensional (Single Dimension; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (5 Active Points); Linked to Jericho Effect (-1/2) [Notes: Used to move controlled target away] 1
Powers Cost: 70

What happens if the multiform dies? Does the target return or stay in limbo?

Also, I think you need extra dimensional movement, not 1" teleport with the transdimensional advantage.

Here's an easy cop-out

(example snipped)

Try this one: It will stop pretty much ANYONE, eventually (except those with Power Defense), even those who are intangible (Affects Desolid). The cost listed is for 1d6; season to taste by buying multiple d6's to speed up the effect. The focus is a gold pocketwatch (for nostalgia's sake; remember that bad old TV-movie?)

Using the rules for partial Transforms, everyone would sloooow down until they stopped.

The way to stop the "Uncontrolled" is that after one minute of 'internal' time for the user, the effect shuts off, and the Transform is an all-or-nothing reversion as well (reverts when the watch shuts off). I toyed with the idea of using a charge that lasts for 1 minute, but didn't really see it was necessary, since I had to define a way to stop the "Uncontrolled" in any case.

Pts.  Powers END
43   Time Stop: Transform 1d6: Transform all targets into targets frozen in time (Major), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Affects Desolidified (Any form of Desolidification; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Megascale (1" = 10000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4) (86 Active Points); Gold Pocketwatch IAF Fragile (-3/4), Gestures (Must push button on watch) (-1/4)