Anyone running any online games?

Ragnarok

Re: Anyone running any online games?

I really don't own the 7th Sea' date=' so I do not know much about the setting. The general premise, that I am getting, is that this is a variation of Pirates of the Caribbean movies. While I may not own any of the referred campaign material, I do have to say that I like the concept...[/quote']Okay, 7th Sea is essentially mid to late Renaissance Europe with some twists. There are ruins of an ancient, forgotten race scattered around the world. Many secret cabals all doing their thing (not that it is so different from history but you know), magic exists (though I dislike the way 7th Sea does magic so I changed it). The biggest thing to remember is that for every major European nation (except Portugal) has a 7th Sea equivalent.

United Kingdom = Avalon

Spain = Castille

France = Montaigne

Italy = Vodacce

Germany = Eisen

Norway = Vendel (there are two basic sub-groups and I imagine the Dutch fall under Vendel as well)

Middle East = The Empire of the Crescent Moon

China/Mongolia = Cathay

All that serves as the foundation for the discovery of the New World by a Vodacce merchant hired by the Castillian nobility to find a new trade route to Cathay. In the two hundred years since, all but two of the major nations have set up colonies in the New World. Castille has concentrated on the southern lands while Vendel and Avalon has focused on the northern lands. Montaigne has set up most of her colonies south of the Equator.

In general, technology is slightly better in some areas. Medicine for instance, is slightly more advanced with doctors knowing to disinfect the wounds and boiling their instruments between patients. This has led to a slightly higher population as deaths from infection are less common (they still exist, but are less common). Part of this has to do with a slightly different focus from the Church.

The Vatacine Church is the Roman Catholic equivalent. There are some radical differences in that the Vatacine Church used to promote scientific understanding of the world. Recent developments have been less that promising, with an Inquisition forming and scientific research being suppressed.

And of course, this caused an Objectionist (Protestant) movement within the Church. Similarly, the Queen of Avalon has taken a similar stance to the real monarchs of England and declared herself the center of spirituality in her native lands. Her two sub-kingdoms, Inishmore and the Highland Marches have taken similar paths.

As you can see, the setting is remarkably similar to Europe. But it is larger than life too. Swashbucklers, pirates, explorers, archaeologists and other adventurers abound. Secret societies seek to control the world from behind the scenes while others seek the ruins of a lost civilization for scraps of ancient wisdom.

Pirates of the Caribbean has nothing on the 7th Sea setting.

Right now I am toying with the idea of playing a male wicken, aka a warlock. I am not sure if you actually have witches in this campaign, but since you were stating that you were kinda trying to keep it similar to our history, I thought that there may be a chance. I am also on the assumption that the inquisition also has a part in the campaign. Let me know how off base I am or if I am good to continue along these lines...
Yes, there are "witches" in the setting. I am so trying to finish this other document so I can post it for you to read. There is a fair amount of information just in the first section (like I said earlier, I'm pretty proud of myself for that).

And you are correct, there is indeed an Inquisition.

Does this post help?

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey' date=' better safe than sorry. I've had GMs screw me over for less...[/quote']As a player in my game, you will find that I am remarkably easy to get along with. I do know how to say "no" but I don't deliberately seek to screw over either the player or his character. To me, this is all a cooperative and fun thing to do. Screwing over the players is so low on my list of things to do this century....

Alright, I've basically inserted the Romany people into the setting, because I can't recall if the 7th Sea even touches on them anywhere. I can easily change that but seeing as their main addition to 17th Century Europe was some really good music and racial tension, I doubt it'll be an issue.

--

Luludja is an eldest daughter of one of the Gypsy Tribes, which makes her as close to royalty as Gypsies get. They have some recognition in the royal courts, but not a lot. It was a position she wasn't particularly happy with. Being brash, adverterous, and had a streak of wanderlust that made even the normally nomadic people seem sedentary. When they reached a costal area Luludja took off, hooking up with a man named Wilhelm. She quickly learned swordplay, and the two of them had a tumultous relationship - falling in and out with each other and finally into a kind of competition. Luludja happily gambling, fought, and womanized her way through the Old World. An opportunity to cross to the New World presented itself, and she ended up spending a few years as a pirate in the New World, doing much the same as she did in the Old World. Though now without the occasional run in with Wilhelm. The only unfinished business being that she never bested him at swordplay (though she was definitely the better gambler and womanizer).

Luludja took only two things with her from the Old World; a deck of Tarot her grandmother gave her (which she has claimed she can read someone's future through but has never once done so - rumors to the contrary). And a sigil she keeps on her person that denotes her as a Gypsy Lords daughter, though she happily found out no one here cares that she's a Gypsy Princess and keeps it simply as a reminder of her family.

Lulu (has no one actually wants to pronounce her full name) is a first class rogue, but isn't really a bad person. She just gets caught up in the moment and excitement of adventure. She'll embark on a quest, adventure, or even a random lark at the drop of a hat (or by being chased off by the local mayor as happens occasionally). She earned the ire of a local Avalonian lord when his daughter broke off an engagement due to Lulu's antics with the poor girl (she's avoided that island, rumors have it there's a shoot on sight order, the daughter was sent back to Avalon to finish her schooling).

Lulu isn't particularly imposing in stature, but she is quick with a sword, and has a certain charm about her, just as many seem to want her dead as those who want to employ (or trick) her in one scheme or another.

--

And - I can say from experience that Nol doesn't "screw over" players, ever.

Lulu is, more than likely, indiscriminate. Or it's because she's competing in a "Man's" world so is beating them at their own game. Or she may be batting for the other team. I'm not sure which yet. Definitely not left over, and very much on purpose. . .

I was thinking of a grizzled gunsmith with such good gunsmithing abilities weapons he's built or worked on border on 'magic'. I'm not sure how that fits into the magic system or if you'd prefer super skills.
Hmmmn. The Eisen are known for their weapon making using a very strong metal known as Dracheneisen (dragon iron). Perhaps your character learned his trade among those smiths, either by virtue of being Eisen or been lucky enough to have been apprenticed to an Eisen smith. Just what those superior abilities entail is something I have to think about. What were you looking to accomplish?

Lulu is' date=' more than likely, indiscriminate. Or it's because she's competing in a "Man's" world so is beating them at their own game. Or she may be batting for the other team. I'm not sure which yet. Definitely not left over, and very much on purpose. . .[/quote']Good enough for me.

Hmmmn. The Eisen are known for their weapon making using a very strong metal known as Dracheneisen (dragon iron). Perhaps your character learned his trade among those smiths' date=' either by virtue of being Eisen or been lucky enough to have been apprenticed to an Eisen smith. Just what those superior abilities entail is something I have to think about. What were you looking to accomplish?[/quote']

Better activation roll (maybe none at all?)

Bullet with your name on it OCV bonus?

I'm not sure exactly. Perhaps some inventions like black powder grenado?

Perhaps an inventor? We're talking renaissance... DaVinci type inventions?

Interesting ideas. I will have to give more thought on it. As an interesting aside, it was a German who invented the percussion cap that replaced manual loads. It was admittedly about 40 years after the American Revolution (well into the 1800s, but this is fantasy).

Thinking just a bit on it. I would say that Smoothbore pistols and rifles should have an inherent -1 OCV and Limited Range on them. And that someone building "advanced" weapons for the time would remove those by adding rifling to the barrel.

Been doing some research into period firearms. I surely wish there was a HERO writeup somewhere of flintlock pistols' date=' muskets and rifles. I've come up with some stats that we can use, but I don't know how accurate they are to the actual weapons.[/quote']

There are quite a few threads about this in OTHER GENRES. I'll see if I can't get a list.

That would be awesome.

Awesomeness to follow:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/28792-Early-Firearms?p=641655#post641655

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/55481-Victorian-Western-HERO-Firearms?p=1340839#post1340839

There is a lot of interesting stuff in those two posts and it really all depends on how 'realistic' vs 'gamable' you want it to be and where you draw that line. In games from the era I've played we almost always use the Activation Roll. Range penalties are pretty staple, too.

Update: Just finished the second part of the magic document; Invocations. I thought that I would be further along than I am. There is a potential bright spot. If I was smart enough to save a document to my thumb drive before I formatted the wrong disk, I may still have most of the last major section done already. All I will need to do is edit it. And I think that I may well have that on a physical hard drive that I removed from the computer as well. So I am drawing near to the end of one of the most time consuming parts of the prep work.

Update: So I think to myself, why should I go through a hard time trying to build a price list for the game. Somebody on the internet has got have done one already. And I was right. And here you go, the 7th Sea Pricelist. Keep in mind this is in Guilders and Cents. Easy peasy to translate. 1 Pound = 20 Shillings = 2000 Pennies. 1 Shilling = 1 Guilder. 1 Cent = 1 Penny. So conversion should be relatively easy.

Additions to the list

Rifle, Flintlock 3 Pounds (60 Guilders)

EDIT: And don't get too caught up in accounting. If there is something you want that isn't listed, use the nearest equivalents. For example, a Side Sword (often called a Cut & Thrust Sword) is sort of like a cross between a broad sword and a fencing sword. One is 10g and the other 15g. So call it even and spend 12g. And if it is something truly exotic. Post a message. I'll let you know.

I had to make an adjustment to Lulu; the STR min of a Rapier is listed as 10STR (just using builds out of the books until something else overrides), so I bumped her STR up to 10 and ED down to 4.

I'll report the HDC tomorrow with some starting equipment as well.

I had to make an adjustment to Lulu; the STR min of a Rapier is listed as 10STR (just using builds out of the books until something else overrides)' date=' so I bumped her STR up to 10 and ED down to 4.[/quote']That reminds me that I wanted to change the STR Minima on many of the weapons. And I think that STR Minimum of a Rapier should not be 10. At STR 8 you should be able to lift a Washing Machine. If you can lift a Washing Machine, you should be able to wield a rapier pretty effectively.

Table Rule: The STR Minimum for all weapons is reduced by 5.

Now that doesn't mean you cannot make the change, it merely means you don't have to if you don't want to.

I'll report the HDC tomorrow with some starting equipment as well.
Only if you decide to change things around.

Given the reduced STR Min, I'm actually going to reduce her STR to 8, and put the points somewhere else. I'll repost the character with changes and equipment sometime tonight or tomorrow.

I got my HDD back, they could do the backup - unfortunately the moron who did the work didn't think I wanted the new HDD in the same format as the old HDD and gave me it all on NTFS, where the old HDD was formatted FAT32. Gee... maybe there's a REASON for that. So, after yelling at him LOUDLY and talking much more calmly to his manager I got refunded the labor, and have to get all the data copied manually tonight because I cannot lose anymore time to work and the idiots can't guarantee I'll have all the data by close tonight - it's only 63GB and if the peons used anything other than USB it'd be maybe 4-5 hours total work. So here I am - livid beyond all imagination and working to get the data to a READABLE drive.

So.. venting done. Character soonish.

I got my HDD back' date=' they could do the backup - unfortunately the moron who did the work didn't think I wanted the new HDD in the same format as the old HDD and gave me it all on NTFS, where the old HDD was formatted FAT32. Gee... maybe there's a REASON for that. So, after yelling at him LOUDLY and talking much more calmly to his manager I got refunded the labor, and have to get all the data copied manually tonight[/quote']

IIRC you're a Mac guy, right? So I assume you're using FAT32 to make your drive writeable when booted into MacOS -- if so, I'd take a hard look at NTFS 3G for your Mac. It's running in userspace instead of kernel space, so it's a small performance loss, but it would get you up and running right now and you could convert to FAT32 later if you chose. Just a thought.