:help: Whistle Code

McCoy

I'm working on writing up a street gang. One feature is going to be a "whistle code," a few bars of a tune casually whistled will signal gang members in earshot. Could just handwave it, but would like the players to have a chance to "break the code."

Only signal I've decided on is the Theme from Hawaii Five-O means "police approaching/in the area."

What songs, recognizable by 21st century youth in ten notes or less, would be useful in organizing the gang and subtly signaling tactics?

Thanks in advance to everybody!

Re: :help: Whistle Code

You want to use codes based on shows popular with todays youth, and you picked Hawaii 5-0? I was a youth when that show was on!

But I think the concept is good.

Lookout, Police! = CIS

Someone's Watching Us = 24

He/She's a spy = Battlestar Galactica

and I don't watch enough TV.

You want to use codes based on shows popular with todays youth, and you picked Hawaii 5-0? I was a youth when that show was on!

Lookout, Police! = CIS

Do you mean CSI: Crime Scene Investigation ("Who Are You?"), or NCIS?

Anyway, I can only think of things that are also a bit dated:

Take Five : relax for a bit.

Get Smart theme : this guy's a spy for the cops, but not a very good one so don't worry too much.

Walker, Texas Ranger theme : do not engage this guy hand to hand.

"Sooner or Later" (from Dick Tracy) : someone's playing both sides against the middle.

I saw an episode of Gangland where one of the RL gang members used Bird Calls to announce various things. He had a call for when he was around (birdsong), A hello, and one for trouble (a very loud cawing). He was pretty good and sounded just like a bird. His gang name was Big Bird (he also wore yellow and was a very big guy). IIRC it was the episode about the Los Solidos called "Blood in the Streets" from season 3

the scooby doo theme

Would mean?

You want to use codes based on shows popular with todays youth' date=' and you picked Hawaii 5-0? I was a youth when that show was on![/quote']

"Popularity" is not the criteria, "recognizability" is. I still hear "Five-O" used to refer to the police, possibly by people who have no idea where the reference comes from, and I think the first seven notes can be recognized by many who have never seen more than a promo for the show.

Lookout, Police! = CIS

Someone's Watching Us = 24

He/She's a spy = Battlestar Galactica

and I don't watch enough TV.

You think Hawaii Five-O is too obscure and you're alternative suggestion is Battlestar Galactica? Seriously, what non-geek has seen it?

Honestly' date=' if you're going to have a whistle code for a 21st C street gang, TV show themes are the last thing I'd think of. How about something based off of rap or hip-hop?[/quote']

Are there any two Rap songs that sound different when whistled? Rap tends to be defined by the driving rhythm and the lyrics, the melody not so much.

Do you mean CSI: Crime Scene Investigation ("Who Are You?")' date=' or [i']NCIS[/i]?

Anyway, I can only think of things that are also a bit dated:

Get Smart theme : this guy's a spy for the cops, but not a very good one so don't worry too much.

Walker, Texas Ranger theme : do not engage this guy hand to hand.

"Sooner or Later" (from Dick Tracy) : someone's playing both sides against the middle.

Some good suggestions, thank you!

OK, so far:

"Theme from Hawaii Five-O": police approaching/in the area

"Scooby Doo Where Are You": time to get out of here, scatter,disperse, fade into the surroundings

"Who Are You?": We're being watched

"Theme from Get Smart" : this guy's a spy for the cops, but not a very good one so don't worry too much/play along with what I'm about to do/say

"Walker, Texas Ranger theme": do not engage / outnumbered /out of our league/ walk away if we can

"Sooner or Later" (from Dick Tracy) : someone's playing both sides against the middle (Torch song, maybe a little hard to whistle?)

"Eye of the Tiger": we're being surrounded/ about to be ambushed/ walking into a trap

• 3 weeks later...

Theme from M.A.S.H. could be...

"I (or someone near me) needs medical attention"* or "Somebody thinks he's funny"** or "This guy's outclassed, kill him."***

*Obvious.

**I'm looking at YOU, Alan.

***The song's title is "Suicide is painless"

It occurs to me the music from "West Side Story" would cover a lot of gang situations.

• 2 weeks later...