"Crowning Moment of Cool?"

redleaf

I'm working on a new Star Hero campaign. One thing that came up in some private messages with members here is the concept of "Crowning Moment of Cool."

For example, in Star Wars (the original movies), one Crowning Moment of Cool would be when Luke was fighting Darth Vader, and refused to fight, and then Vader mentioned Luke's sister, and Luke lost it and started laying it down on Vader.

Followed by another Crowning Moment, when the Emperor tells Luke to kill Vader, and he throws his lightsaber away...

What are some CMOC's in other sci-fi movies/shows? I think taking these and working backwards will also help plan a campaign.

Re: "Crowning Moment of Cool?"

I'm working on a new Star Hero campaign. One thing that came up in some private messages with members here is the concept of "Crowning Moment of Cool."

For example, in Star Wars (the original movies), one Crowning Moment of Cool would be when Luke was fighting Darth Vader, and refused to fight, and then Vader mentioned Luke's sister, and Luke lost it and started laying it down on Vader.

Followed by another Crowning Moment, when the Emperor tells Luke to kill Vader, and he throws his lightsaber away...

What are some CMOC's in other sci-fi movies/shows? I think taking these and working backwards will also help plan a campaign.

Ask your players. Seriously. Enlist them in campaign planning and they will enjoy the game more. (Exceptions exists, but this generally holds true.)

Ask your players. Seriously. Enlist them in campaign planning and they will enjoy the game more. (Exceptions exists' date=' but this generally holds true.)[/quote']

Heck, that's exactly why most of my characters have a couple of pages of background material. These are things I want you, the GM, to incorporate into the game so that my character is more fully a part of your world!

Heck' date=' that's exactly why most of my characters have a couple of pages of background material. These are things I want you, the GM, to incorporate into the game so that my character is more fully a part of your world![/quote']

Bingo.

My favorite CMOC (or CMOA) is from the second episode of Firefly' date=' "The Train Job," near the end where the crew tries to give the money back.[/quote']

That episode had to crowning moments. First was when they gave the colony back their very expensive vaccine, and when they tried to give the money back to the Syndicate's representative.

When I click on the Londo Mollari link on teh Earth-Minbari war, I get the Season 5 Emperor talking about Centauri, not the one that goes kind of like this:

When they ran out of ships, they fought with tanks. WHen they ran out of tanks they fought with guns. When they ran out of guns, they fought with stick and stones. When they ran out of stick and stones, they fought with bare hands. They. Were. MAGNIFICENT (SP?)

This is from a book, not a film or TV show, but from Brin's Startide Rising:

Patiently,

We took the insults --

* Patiently,

Evil intent --

* Now we stop,

Patient no longer --

* Dream and logic,

Join in combat !!

I'll link other passages from books that I know are in other threads as I find them.

When I click on the Londo Mollari link on teh Earth-Minbari war, I get the Season 5 Emperor talking about Centauri, not the one that goes kind of like this:

When they ran out of ships, they fought with tanks. WHen they ran out of tanks they fought with guns. When they ran out of guns, they fought with stick and stones. When they ran out of stick and stones, they fought with bare hands. They. Were. MAGNIFICENT (SP?)

I remember it as

They fought them in space; and when their ships were destroyed they fought on the ground; and when the charges in their weapons were gone, they fought on with knives...and with rocks...and with bare hands...and they fought...and they fought...and they fought. Never have I seen such courage.

Lucius Alexander

What would be a crowning moment of awesome for a palindromedary?

Well that's that then. Now I really will have to watch B5 once and for all!

Totally agree about asking the players and linking into the character backgrounds. I think the trick with CMoC's is to not completely copy the classic scene otherwise you get comments along the lines of "What? You mean like in Aliens where...". Better maybe, but also much harder to build your own CMoC that is influenced by others rather than an exact copy. Having said that, I reckon either route would go down well in game! :)

the quote is around 1:27 or so, be patient :D

PS this is the same video that was posted above

Tasha

I''ve mentioned it before, but David Weber's 'Mutineer's Moon' (first of the Dahak trilogy, one of my favourites) has plenty of cool / awesome moments.

This is perhaps the best. Basically, after having the bejeezus whomped out of him by the hero (Colin), the villain (Anu) *finally* gets a send-off that is well-deserved and perfectly appropriate ...

------------

"How?" the mutineer moaned. Even his implants couldn't fully deaden the agony of his broken limbs, and his face was white. "How could you DO that?"

"Dahak taught me", Colin said grimly, and Anu shook his head frantically.

"No! No, Dahak's dead. I killed it!" The agony of failure, utter and complete, filled Anu's face, overshadowing his physical pain.

[Colin slings Anu into a convenient space-lifeboat. then says:] "You wanted Dahak, you son of a bitch. Well, Dahak wants you too. I think he'll enjoy the meeting more than you will."

"No!" Anu shrieked as the hatch began to close. "Noooooo! Ple-!"

The hatch cut him off, and Osir twitched as the lifeboat launched

The gleaming minnow arced upwards through the enclave's shields, fleeing the planet its mother ship had come to so long before. It altered course, swinging unerringly to line its nose on the white, distant disk of the Moon, and its passenger's terrified mind hammered futilely at the commands locked into its computers. The lifeboat paid no heed, driving onward towards the mighty starship it had left millennia ago. Tracking systems aboard that starship locked upon it, noting its origin and course, and a fold-space signal pulsed out before it, identifying its single passenger to Dahak.

The computer watched it come, and Alpha-priority commands within his core programming tingled to life. Dahak could have fired the instant he identified the target, but he held his fire, waiting, letting the lifeboat bear its cargo closer and closer, and the human emotion of anticipation filled his circuitry.

The lifeboat reached the killzone around the warship, and a single, five-thousand-kilometer streamer of energy erupted from beneath the crater men had named Tycho. It lashed out, fit to destroy a ship like Osir herself, and the silver minnow vanished.

There were tiny sounds aboard the leviathan called Dahak. The targeting systems shut themselves down with a quiet click. The massive energy mount whined softly as it powered down, its glowing snout cooling quickly in the vacuum of its weapon bay. Then there was only silence. Silence and yet another human emotion ...... completion.

--------

This and other very cool moments and lines can be found on http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/72222-Awesome-moments-in-fiction/