HERO System Bestiary

Here's our back cover text for the HSB:

LIONS, AND TIGERS, AND BEARS...

AND DRAGONS... AND ZOMBIES... AND ROBOTS...

No matter what genre, time period, or setting your campaign takes place in, The HERO System Bestiary has creatures and monsters for you to use! Designed for use with any HERO System game, the Bestiary describes any sort of creature, animal, or monster you need for your game or character. Each one has notes about how to adapt it for different types of games, adventures, and characters.

The Bestiary includes:

—Rules for creating and using animals in HERO System games

—Over 120 monsters and fantastic beasts, such as demons, dragons, elementals, and manticores

—Over 50 humanoid monsters, such as giants, goblins, orcs, trolls, and the undead

—Over 40 Celtic and Asian monsters, such as faeries, chiang-shih, kappa, and tengu

—Over two dozen Science Fiction, Horror, and movie monsters, such as robots and giant apes

—Over 80 real-life animals

—Options for many creatures, plus a system of Templates you can apply to any creature, giving you the ability to create hundreds more creatures with just a few seconds’ work

Whatever type of monster or animal you’re looking for, you’ll find it in The HERO System Bestiary!

Price: $34.99 US

ISBN: 978-1-58366-128-4

SKU: DOJHERO1006

ISBN

Price

Re: HERO System Bestiary

How does this compare to th 5th edition Bestiary? Is it an update for 6E of what is in the 5E Bestiary' date=' or does it include "new" content?[/quote']

Essentially, the 6E Bestiary compiles, reorganizes, and "Sixifies" what was in the 5E version, plus most of Monsters, Minions, And Marauders and the Celtic bestiary from Tuala Morn, some sections from the two Asian Bestiary(s), a few items taken from other books, and whatever else Steve thought was appropriate and cool.

I've been looking through mine and I'm VERY happy. I was nice to see some of the material in books I don't own. It definitely whetted my appetite for more!

I also have to say that the uniformity in cover design is kind of nifty. Yes, I said "nifty." Get over it. While cover art is fine and dandy, the uniformity looks powerful on the shelf.

Essentially' date=' the 6E [i']Bestiary[/i] compiles, reorganizes, and "Sixifies" what was in the 5E version, plus most of Monsters, Minions, And Marauders and the Celtic bestiary from Tuala Morn, some sections from the two Asian Bestiary(s), a few items taken from other books, and whatever else Steve thought was appropriate and cool.

It seems to me that creatures should be statted about the same under 5th and 6th (i.e., if a creature was to have X STR, X combat skill, etc., then there is no reason it should change between editions)? It seems I should be able to get by with the 5th Bestiary fine enough (I have MM&M also)?

Understandably, the desire is for there to be sales of the book, and I'm sure I would get it sometime, but is there any real reason to rush out and do so, given that I have the prior books?

Understandably' date=' the desire is for there to be sales of the book, and I'm sure I would get it sometime, but is there any real reason to rush out and do so, given that I have the prior books?[/quote']From my opinion, probably not. Beyond that, Momma always told me if I didn't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. If you do get it, get it for the stats. There are some things that are included that were not in the 5E Bestiary. Beyond that, I will only say that I felt a little disappointed after picking it up.

Thanks, I'll probably get it with a print and PDF package rather than rush for the PDF, seemed like creatures shouldn't really have changed, but with CV decoupled and killing damage not requiring at least 1 rDef, there might be some updates, and more creatures is always good.

On of the things I thought was beneficial for me is that there seemed to be a wider breadth of monsters. In previous editions I sometimes felt that there was a LOT of space given to different versions of a base monster (eg dragons) so that if you happened to not be using that type of monster in your game you didn't get as much use out of the book.

I'm not sure if it's just because the new version has more pages or if it's organised differently, but I FEEL like the 6E version was a better buy than 5E. That could just be me. I haven't actually compared page counts or number of monsters or monster types, so I could be wrong. But it certainly feels like a larger cross-section of creatures to SMASH!

It seems to me that creatures should be statted about the same under 5th and 6th (i.e., if a creature was to have X STR, X combat skill, etc., then there is no reason it should change between editions)? It seems I should be able to get by with the 5th Bestiary fine enough (I have MM&M also)?

Understandably, the desire is for there to be sales of the book, and I'm sure I would get it sometime, but is there any real reason to rush out and do so, given that I have the prior books?

There are a lot of minor changes in stats in many creatures (mainly in OCV/DCV/OMCV/DMCV) as well as changes in how venoms work, and the like. Also, even if you have the 5E bestiary and MMM, the 6E book does have stuff from Celtic folklore and the Asian Bestiaries, as well as what seems to be a lot of totally new material.

• 3 years later...

Reviving an old Thread.

I've enjoyed the Bestiary for some years and always greatly enjoyed it's contents, however...

Has anyone else ever thought that the index is mess? It should have just stated an alphabetical list of creatures, beasts and animals instead of dividing everything into categories. Though the categories could/should be mentioned in the creature profiles. The way it's done now just makes it unnecessarily complex to find things since you first need to know it's mythological origin or classification.

Additionally, the classifications don't even seem to make any sense this way.

Goblins seem to fall under Giants, Harpies and Griffins are under Golems. Buffalo, Camel, Chimpanzee, Giant Clam, Alligator, and Deer seem to be listed under Great Cats. The whole thing is just needlessly complex and searching for anything particular generally means reading through the entire index from top to bottom until you come across what you need.

Reviving an old Thread.

I've enjoyed the Bestiary for some years and always greatly enjoyed it's contents, however...

Has anyone else ever thought that the index is mess? It should have just stated an alphabetical list of creatures, beasts and animals instead of dividing everything into categories. Though the categories could/should be mentioned in the creature profiles. The way it's done now just makes it unnecessarily complex to find things since you first need to know it's mythological origin or classification.

Additionally, the classifications don't even seem to make any sense this way.

Goblins seem to fall under Giants, Harpies and Griffins are under Golems. Buffalo, Camel, Chimpanzee, Giant Clam, Alligator, and Deer seem to be listed under Great Cats. The whole thing is just needlessly complex and searching for anything particular generally means reading through the entire index from top to bottom until you come across what you need.

Well the Bestiary doesn't have an index, just a table of contents. 

If you look at the page flow you see that text sections go:

Boar p432

Buffalo/Cattle p433

Camel p433

Cat, Domestic p433

SECTION Cats, Great p433

Cheetah p437

Leopard p438

But the stat blocks are:

Boar p432

SECTION Cats, Great p433

Buffalo/Cattle p434

Camel p435

Cat, Domestic p436

Cheetah p437

Leopard p438

Comparing these to the Table of Contents it looks like the ToC lists items by Stat Block and Section Header order, not by the Text entries themselves. 

Having an actual index would help I guess, but I wasn't driving the ship. 

Great book! Collects and updates creature write up from just about all the different 5th edition Hero System books and does great conversions and updates to 6th edition. I like to get my books in PDF, and some of the 5th edition books that this gathers creatures from were not available in PDF at all. Great value; good, detailed write-ups, nice illustrations, and good coverage of multiple genres as well as extra rules for custom hit locations and how to use for different genres.