Green Lantern Limitation on Vari Pool

Seenar

Depending on the time period and which GL you are talking about I would give it a -1/4 "Not Versus Yellow" or "Not Versus Wood." I might also give it a -1/4 "Obvious Target Point" to show that the power eminates from a central point. If you can somehow contain the ring (Force Wall or Entangle around the hand) you might be able to keep it from functioning propery. That would probably be just about it for me.

Edited to add:

At different points in time the ring has also been either an OIF or an OIHID. I do not think it is currently either right now though.

I'd also consider something to the effect of adding the "Doesn't Require a Control Roll" Advantage, and then limiting that with "only if the power is explained in terms of an energy construct". That would let GL come up with new energy constructs with ease, but would require him to do some undefined sort of careful manipulation of his powers if he decides to use his ring to read someone's mind or to travel through time.

Another possibility would be "disrupted by PRE Attacks": the VPP responds to successful Presence Attacks as if they were Drains or Suppresses, with EGO being used to resist and recover. This explains why GLs are required to be "fearless".

Finally, there's the issue of the ring's charge. Depending on the version, this should be a "ceases to operate after 24 hours, until it's recharged" and "ceases to operate when the Central Power Battery is disabled", or it should be an END Reserve, with the REC being dependent on an OAF (the personal power battery).

Originally posted by Seenar

Look at JL He does not do any desolid or telepathy for instance.

The key word here is "yet". :)

I would imagine that short of the mental powers, there are very few on the list that GL cannot do. He can probably even do certain SFX forms of Desolid (one of the SFX of Desolid is immunity to damage) and Telepathy (using the ring to detect truth). It really just depends on the GM's interpritation of powers. For example, I could easily see GL's protective field defined as visible Armor rather than a FF. There are so many different ways of defining something that it is almost impossible to say what cannot be included.

I agree that there realy isn't nough limitation on what the ring can do to warent a limitation. I do think it should require a skill roll based on EGO. The GM could envoke modifiers to make the roll much easier for powers that Green Lantern gegularly does and more difficult for powers he rarely does or ones you come up with that you've never seen done. I could see a limitation requiring a rechage daily, but it would be small, -1/4 probably. I could also see a focus limitation, or more to the point an OIHID limitation( OIHID has been use to simulte a focus that cannot be taken away before). As far as the "doesn't effect yellow" or "doesn't effect wood" limitation, that would depend on which GL you're trying to emulate. I would also put a limitation on the active points in one power, to reflect GL being able to do anything and still scale it back to fit your campagn's active point limit.

There have been examples of Green Lantern using his ring to wipe someone's memory, or to restore clarity of thought. Likewise, there have been examples of Green Lantern using his ring to fly through solid objects, effectively acting as if he was intangible. He has time travelled, and has travelled to at least one "alternate dimension" - the "world within the ring". There are some things that he has never done to my knowledge, such as teleportation, summoning the spirits of the dead, or foretelling the future. To that end, I think that Chaosliege has the right idea in principle: let him do anything that he has the points to do, based on the size of his VPP; but make the "typical" uses (flight, images, energy constructs, life support force field, instant change into costume, etc.) effectively automatic (I'd go so far as to bypass any Ego roll in cases such as these), and apply substantial penalties to particularly inappropriate activities.

Want a touchstone for what's appropriate and what isn't? If it can be easily explained in terms of manipulating energy (especially the green energy stored in the ring), it's probably appropriate; if it deals with sensing or altering something physical, it's less appropriate, but still acceptable. If it deals with a person's mind, it might be appropriate; if it's clearly in the realm of the supernatural, it's extremely inappropriate.

Let me be more clear:

What is the limitation on a Varipool if I can only use:

Teke

EB

RKA

Force Wall

Force Field

Flight

It is either going to be a Limited Class Limitation (-1/2) or a Very Limited Class Limitation (-1). You decide. Or you could just split the difference and say it is a Nearly Very Limited Class Limitation and give it a -3/4. ;)

What I was shooting for was a limit on the type of powers he can pull off.

Look at JL He does not do any desolid or telepathy for instance.

I have actually seen Hal Jordan pull of desolidification at least once, though I can't remember the issue.

In general, I don't think that any of the GL rings are limited enough justify any limitation just for the kinds of things they can make. I made a GL knock-off for a game once. As well as "Can't effect the color green" (my character's ring was blue), I took "Can't use invisible power effects advantage". That actually bit me in the tuckus more than once.

You may also consider making the VPP require an EGO-based skill roll.

Let me be more clear:

What is the limitation on a Varipool if I can only use:

Teke

EB

RKA

Force Wall

Force Field

Flight

I'd say -1/2. Drains only is -1, and all adjustment powers is -1/2. I'd say this list is closer to the 2nd than the first.

Originally posted by Gary

I'd say -1/2. Drains only is -1, and all adjustment powers is -1/2. I'd say this list is closer to the 2nd than the first.

Thanks Gary,

That is about what I was thinking. I am not sure why everyone wanted to force me into doing the Green Lantern. I was looking for the effect.

The charactar I have in mind does not even have a ring.

If the effect that you're looking for is the GL-like energy constructs, you could get a lot of mileage out of Force Wall and TK, where the Force Wall has an Advantage (no more than +1/4) "can be moved and reshaped at will", and the TK has the Limitation "must be used through the Force Wall" (probably a -1/4). Meanwhile, you might consider a Multipower instead of a VPP.