• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

Re: Ctrl+V

\begin{align} \sin(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\cos \theta \\ \cos(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\sin \theta \\ \tan(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\cot \theta \\ \csc(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\sec \theta \\ \sec(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\csc \theta \\ \cot(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\tan \theta \end{align}

\begin{align} \sin(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\cos \theta \\ \cos(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\sin \theta \\ \tan(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\cot \theta \\ \csc(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\sec \theta \\ \sec(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\csc \theta \\ \cot(\tfrac{\pi}{2} - \theta) &= +\tan \theta \end{align}

...So what's you rotating?

Ok, maybe not a rotation - But if it's not that, beats me.

Bruised Knuckles: Shock may vanish in a second (see

Shock, p. B419), but injuries make it painful to strike with

the hurt body part. Striking at full power with an injured

body part inflicts the shock penalty for its accumulated

wounds (maximum -4) as if wounded anew. You can

avoid this by hitting with less force: take a damage penalty

equal to the shock penalty. High Pain Threshold lets

you ignore this; Low Pain Threshold means you must

make a Will roll at this penalty or flinch and pull your

punch anyway!

Bruised Knuckles: Shock may vanish in a second (see

Shock, p. B419), but injuries make it painful to strike with

the hurt body part. Striking at full power with an injured

body part inflicts the shock penalty for its accumulated

wounds (maximum -4) as if wounded anew. You can

avoid this by hitting with less force: take a damage penalty

equal to the shock penalty. High Pain Threshold lets

you ignore this; Low Pain Threshold means you must

make a Will roll at this penalty or flinch and pull your

punch anyway!

That Reads like GURPS talk.

I don't claim to be a great GM... heck, I don't claim to be a good GM... but I'm always trying.

Recently I started work on a new campaign, one that will only last 12-16 episodes (I hope), and thought a bit about how I wanted things to go. At the same time, I noted down some of my favorite GMing "rules" and/or philosophies. And I thought I'd share them with everyone for commentary.

Rule 1) The "He's Effing Tarzan Rule": This rule is taken from a Hero All Stars game Darren Watts ran. At one point, a player had Tarzan leap out of a window, run along the fire escape, leap to some telephone lines, and dash along them towards Central Park. Darren said "Okay" and let it go at that. Another player said "Doesn't he need to make a DEX Roll or something?" To which Darren replied "Dude, he's (effing) Tarzan!"

What this means to me is that a PC, when in his idiom, should be allowed to shine. If he's doing something he's supposed to be good at, don't ask for a die roll, that just runs the risk of failure and making the PC look stupid. Of course, this rule shouldn't be used when the PC is in combat and/or involved in something critical, use it only when the PC is doing something where failure would only distract from the flow of the story.

Rule 2) Failure Now Gets You More Screen Time Later: Per David Mattingly, Player Characters (and players) shouldn't be afraid of failure. If/when you fail, it's not the end of the world (usually.) What it means is that now you have a chance to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, reaffirm your commitments, and forge ahead to victory.

What this means to me, is that as a GM you need to think about what happens if the PCs don't succeed and plan accordingly. If they fail at a task, you need to be able to point them in a new direction, one that should hopefully accomplish their objective in a slightly different matter. And, if you can't think of what to have happen if the PCs fail... consider Rule 1.

Rule 3) Yes And No Is Boring: Told to me by Ross Watson, this rule is pretty easy. Telling a player either "yes" or "no" to a question is rather dull and uninteresting. The GM's answers should range from Yes to Yes And; Yes But; No; No And; and No But.

Ross's example of this in action is as follows: The PC falls into a pit and asks "Can I get out?" "Yes" and "No" are absolutes and offer nothing to the PC to enhance the experience. However, consider what happens if you use the following: "Yes, and once you climb out you see men with spears all around you." Or, "Yes, but the rope you're using is really a giant snake!" Or, "No, and the pit is now filling with water!"

Rule 4) Reward Creative Thinking: In a recent 6E play-test (where we were using 700 point PCs to see what 6E was like) I tried to use Multiple Power Attack to hit two enemies at once. I explained how the maneuver worked and the GM said almost instantly, "I'll have to ban that." That really annoyed me, especially since he let me use the maneuver "Just this once", and I rolled an 18, missing both shots. He then let me hit one guy, anyway....

This is a very open-ended rule... but it basically means "reward out of the box thinking." It also should tell the GM not to quantify everything in sight (unless that's part of the scenario.) For example, the RPG
Feng Shui
encourages having the PCs create landscape elements on the fly -- such as telling the GM that "since were in a warehouse, I'm going to get the forklift and run over some mooks!" Doesn't matter if the GM indicated a forklift on the map, or not according to the laws of action movies, this is a warehouse and there's a forklift there.

Rule 5) Players Write The Best Adventures: Coined by GM Darren Hansen, this rule requires you to listen to your PCs, both in and out of combat. Take what they say and use it! For example, in a game I was in, my PC had an alien mom. A friend's PC was an alien, sent to Earth to learn something of himself. At one point my PC told his: "You know what the difference between you and me is? My family's never tried to take over the planet." Guess what happened a few adventures later?

There are a lot of ways to use this rule. Have the PCs decided that the person behind the events they're investigating is Character A? Make it so. They'll think they're brillant for figuring out the plot. Heck, you might create a plot with no master villain, simply wait for them to start Wild Mass Guessing, and select whoever they've decided is responsible. If a PC talks about wanting to do something, considering introducing that something. You can even do the reverse -- if the PC swears something's not possible, consider making it possible, not to show the PC who's boss, but to expand their awareness of your universe and how it works.

Rule 6) You're The GM, You Have An Infinite Of Everything: You have the whole world. You have all the points you need. Nothing in your word is on a checklist (usually.) Thus, if you intend to have the PCs encounter something, don't worry if they breeze through them... just throw more of them out there.

Rule 7) If All Else Fails...: Have some guys with guns come through the door.

Hey, it worked for Mickey Spillane, it should work for you. Once the fight is over, you should be able to figure out what you want to have happen next. Or, the PCs will take care of that for you by pursuing their "new" lead.

Strench of the Damned: Energy Blast 2d6 (standard effect: 6 STUN, 2 BODY), Alterable Size, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), No Normal Defense ([standard]; LS: Self Contained Breathing LS: Immunity to Gasses; +1), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (16" Radius; +1 1/4) (97 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Does not work in water; -1/4)

Strench of the Damned: Energy Blast 2d6 (standard effect: 6 STUN' date=' 2 BODY), Alterable Size, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), No Normal Defense ([standard']; LS: Self Contained Breathing LS: Immunity to Gasses; +1), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (16" Radius; +1 1/4) (97 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Does not work in water; -1/4)

...Why not "Line of Smell"?