"Space" music recommendation!

Jhaierr

I ran across this music in the Star Walk app. It's fantastic ambient music for that "space" feel.

Astropilot - Solar Walk -- http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/solar-walk/id368611181 (You can listen to a sample of each track.) I believe it's also available on Rhapsody and other online music places.

Was hoping this might be useful during a game to give the players that "sci-fi" feeling.

Re: "Space" music recommendation!

Well, shameless plug maybe, but my good friend Scott Rockwood (of Madahoochi) has a few I feel are fitting:

- More of a space-age folk song, it is an ode to Tito Ortez or whoever, the first tourist in space, though the lyrics have nothing to do with that event - "Look to the sky, ma, to see all the rich people.... floating in front of the moon."

- An instrumental that I would think is fitting for "fight scene" music in a sci-fi game.

They have a few other songs that might be fitting - Nuclear Man, Boom, Frisco Bay (a happy little tune about the end of the world), Cycle of Creation (70's style tune about new civilizations rising from the ashes of the previous.)

I also find a lot of the electronica / jam-band types have some good sci-fi music; Galactic, Particle, Umphree's McGee instrumentals, Sound Tribe Sector 9, Ozric Tentacles, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, Medeski Martin and Wood (particularly the "End of the World Party" album), Lotus, etc. Any of the non-primus Les Claypool supergroups, and especially Buckethead. That One Guy has a few as well.

Pink Floyd has plenty, as does Rush, or Dream Theater.

Well... it seemed kinda, Idunno... obvious?

I try to recommend stuff folks might not have heard before, and I figure pretty much everyone here knows about Vangelis.

Um, actually I hadn't! Just listened to some of his stuff in samples. Really great. The 1492 music is fantastic, for instance. But I never knew much about the Blade Runner music 'til now.

How about the various music compilation CDs from Babylon 5? That's some of the best

space music that's ever been released over the years (granted, given the length of

time that's passed since those discs were originally released, they might be a little hard

to find in the regular music stores, but online places like Amazon.com might have them).

Major Tom 2009 :dyn

Banned from Argo:

one of the all time classics, about a federation starship crew on shore leave, probably

NSFW. theres a newish punk/filk band called Toyboat that does a hard rock version of this

Dawsons Christian:

a really good ghost story set in space, another classic

Hope Eyerie:

Benson Arizona[From the Movie Darkstar]

The Phoenix:

got plenty more I can reccomend, these are just some of my favorites

It's not like the definition of "Space Music" is set in stone. Sometimes it's techno, sometimes it's new age, sometimes it's John Williams' Star Wars OST.

And sometimes it's like this:

It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere

I'm all alone, more or less

Let me fly far away from here

Fun, fun, fun in the sun, sun, sun

I want to lie shipwrecked and comatose

Drinking fresh mango juice

Goldfish shoals nibbling at my toes

I'll pack my bags and head into hyperspace

Where I'll succeed at time-warp speed