The repair of Impairing and Disabling wounds

BobGreenwade

Since Disabling and Impairing is a side effect of losing BODY, I'd say removing those effects is a side effect of Healing BODY.

If you want to say that Healing along can't do that (because of the chance for Disabling effects to last longer or be permanent), I'd say use the Can Regrow Limbs Adder. If you can regrow a limb, you can certainly regain the use of a disabled one.

Use Healing with Can Heal Limbs. This is explicitly listed in the description of Healing, and it also specifies that it happens when the wound is fully healed. See FREd p. 120, second column, paragraph after the example at the top.

I suppose you could use 0d6 Healing, Can Heal Limbs, and the limb would be fixed when the BODY heals naturally, or perhaps when someone else uses their Healing Power on it.

The light dawns!

Okay, thanks for the help, guys. I now feel very foolish for having missed this painfully obvious answer. I guess I was so wrapped-up in the specifics of my Special Effects (a nerve-healing device for the Spacer's Toolkit Online) and the generalities of Impairing and Disabling that I didn't even think to look for specific rules in the book itself.

Originally posted by archer

I suppose you could use 0d6 Healing, Can Heal Limbs, and the limb would be fixed when the BODY heals naturally, or perhaps when someone else uses their Healing Power on it.

I wouldn't call it 0d6. I would say it has to do enough Body healing to repair the wound that did the impairing (what is it, 1/2 the character's Body?), but could take a Limitation that it does not actually restore lost Body.

Sorry, Bob, didn't mean to come across sounding pissy. I was thinking of a line in a fantasy novel wherein a bunch of characters are standing around talking about how they're going to scrounge for firewood, when the thief pipes up with "Or you could just use the firewood in the wagon back there that I bought when we were in town."

:cool:

Originally posted by archer

Sorry, Bob, didn't mean to come across sounding pissy. I was thinking of a line in a fantasy novel wherein a bunch of characters are standing around talking about how they're going to scrounge for firewood, when the thief pipes up with "Or you could just use the firewood in the wagon back there that I bought when we were in town."

:cool:

Yeah, it wasn't you or anyone else specifically that made me feel foolish -- I just kinda felt like I'd just asked for the approximate duration of the Hundred Years' War. :)

I think I just figured out what was actually hanging me up here. I want to be able to have the Disabling damage healed even long after the BODY damage that caused it has healed (whether on its own or through some other means).

What I'm thinking of doing is Healing applied to any Characteristics (DEX, END, STUN, Running, or whatever) lost because of Disabling damage (in this particular case, specifically nerve damage caused by Disabling wounds). That would be, I think, worth probably a -1 Limitation.

Any comments?

Well..... I'm not a hundred percent certain that that's necessary to heal a Disabling/Impairing wound. I'd say that one of the following conditions apply (pick one):

* After the BODY is healed, you can use any number of dice of Healing (including zero) with Can Heal Limbs to heal the Impairing/Disabling part

* After the BODY is healed, you can't ever heal the Impairing/Disabling part (matches up with some source material)

* The Impairing/Disabling wound causes the character's actual BODY score to be reduced (think of an old war injury); the Healing with Can Heal Limbs actually restores this loss (matches up with some other source material)