...If I End Up In an Urban Fantasy Novel

Guest Celt

Re: ...If I End Up In an Urban Fantasy Novel

67. I will obtain and hoard silver bullion, and acquire some basic tools (and the skills to use them) for making castings out of it, applying it as a coating other other metal implements, and producing other small items out of it. Silver just seems to be useful stuff in a lot of ways.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

67a. But first, I will check to see if Vampire$ Inc. exists, or used to exist. Because in that world, not just any silver will do. It has to be silver from a blessed crucifix. (Fortunately, Vampire$ Inc has connections with the Vatican...)

68) I will get PS: Silversmith. This will give me a legitimate reason to obtain and work silver. And will snag me some extra income, to boot.

68) I will get PS: Handloader. This will allow me to make my own silver bullets.

The mid to late Run Anita books are Romance Novels with sections of intense Action/adventure. They aren't really written for guys. Also the last couple of Major Anita novels have gotten back to the feel of the early novels (Flirt not being a "major novel"). 90% of the Urban Fantasy genre are books that are written for Women that have deep romance threads. You complaining about this would be like me complaining about the Action genre not having enough interpersonal relationship stuff. Those books aren't written to attract me as a reader' date=' they are written for guys.[/quote']

I have zero objection to sex or romance in an urban fantasy novel. And neither do most men (even if they deny, deny, deny). I do, however, wish some of them were written for men. I loved the first four anita blake novels. I'm glad to hear the latter ones moved back toward the beginning, though I'm not sure I'm willing to give Hamilton a second chance. The middle ones, however, degenerated into plotless trash. It stopped being urban fantasy and became straight up badly written chiche-storm erotica. My main objection being bad-writing and anvil-slamming with the cliches rather than erotic content. It doesn't matter which sex it was written for. Bad is bad.

67aII) Unless the universe is Cthonic' date=' in which case, burn it with fire.[/quote']

The universe is underground?

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary shouts "fire in the hole!"

I have zero objection to sex or romance in an urban fantasy novel. And neither do most men (even if they deny' date=' deny, deny). I do, however, wish some of them were written for men. I loved the first four anita blake novels. I'm glad to hear the latter ones moved back toward the beginning, though I'm not sure I'm willing to give Hamilton a second chance. The middle ones, however, degenerated into plotless trash. It stopped being urban fantasy and became straight up badly written chiche-storm erotica. My main objection being bad-writing and anvil-slamming with the cliches rather than erotic content. It doesn't matter which sex it was written for. Bad is bad.[/quote']

The odd thing about Anita Blake is that it was Hamilton's divorce that derailed her writing, so why does she write sex like someone who has never actually had sex?

The odd thing about Anita Blake is that it was Hamilton's divorce that derailed her writing' date=' so why does she write sex like someone who has never actually had sex?[/quote']

Write what you know? :eg:

"Resembles Cthulhu"' date=' if you're going to be literal about it.[/quote']

ah, you meant to say "Cthulhoid" or something like that.

I suppose a "hollow Earth" type world could be described as cthonic, but was wondering why that would mean it should be burned with fire.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary appreciated the opportunity to say "Fire in the hole!" In fact, appreciated it so much that they just said it again.

The odd thing about Anita Blake is that it was Hamilton's divorce that derailed her writing' date=' so why does she write sex like someone who has never actually had sex?[/quote']

Because it would be an unseemly topic for me to speculate on, I will refrain from considering implications as to the cause of the divorce.

Lucius Alexander

The delighted palindromedary tries my patience by crying "Fire in the hole!" yet again

• 2 weeks later...

#(Whatever it is now)

If the ventriloquist doll wants your soul. Suggest he take a trip to DC. Lot of politicians there. Politicians arent known for using their souls, so most will be in mint condition in fact some may never have been removed from box. Ups the collectior's value.

Write what you know? :eg:

Hmmm ... the character is a necromancer, and one who, ah, consorts with some of those necromantic things ... so ... Hamilton may be writing from knowledge ... ummmm....