.600 Nitro Express Revolver

shadowcat1313

Re: .600 Nitro Express Revolver

Most of the critters you would be wanting these caliber's for, if you didn't kill it on the first shot, unless you are really good you won't have time for the second. The cost on the double rifle for the .700 would require a Wealth perk level in HERO anyway, heh.

Besides you think the .700NE is a power house round, you should see the .950 JDJ.... How's that movie line go.....oh yeah. "Big Badda Boom!"

~Rex

These days, the cost of a (legal) elephant hunt would also require the wealth perk, at an even higher level, so the firearm would just be a detail, anyway. I'm not 100% sure if any country still issues licenses to hunt elephant. (And rhino? I'm very doubtful....)

These days' date=' the cost of a (legal) elephant hunt would also require the wealth perk, at an even higher level, so the firearm would just be a detail, anyway. I'm not 100% sure if any country still issues licenses to hunt elephant. (And rhino? I'm very doubtful....)[/quote']

Forget which country, but GoDaddy's CEO goes on elephant hunts to kill "rogue" ones. Apparently he's done it quite a few times.

Isn't that the one that fires a one pound projectile from a modified shortened 20mm Vulcan case, fired from a 100+ lb bench gun?

he does a .50 BMG case necked up to 14.5mm too....

yeah....I do believe that guy is a touch, hmm, large bore ammo crazy. Needed to get special waivers for the .950 considering it violates a few dozen destructive weapons laws around here. Great game ammo though. :D

~Rex

Forget which country' date=' but GoDaddy's CEO goes on elephant hunts to kill "rogue" ones. Apparently he's done it quite a few times.[/quote']

There's more then a few actually for both Elephant and Rhino. International population is still a big question but some places locally, bit of an issue so they farm out a loteery of liscense's and such for folks interested. Rogues are a big issue in a few places as well and those they sort of farm out the "potential" and when the opportunity comes up the phone rings and the planes start moving.

Seem to recall that if you go on a sanctioned hunt you can even still import the Ivory and such to places like the UK. Been awhile since I've looked into that. Biggest thing I've dropped myself is a toss up between my last Moose and the last Brown Bear. Had an opportunity to go for Cape Buffalo, but basically, those critters scare me so I passed.

Lot of private reserve stuff to. Not a fan of most of those though. I'm fine with non African/Asian big game.

~Rex

• 2 weeks later...

... And, in 'Fallout 3', there is a mod that places a .700 'Nitro Express' (with a small but steady ammo supply) into the game.

It is an Awesome weapon.

Just one shot (medium range) will explode the head off a Supermutant, demolish power armour or turn an unmutated unarmoured Human into minestrone. :D

Well, If it used some of the EXPLOSIVE ammo that was loaded in the original Nitro Express guns... Otherwise it should JUST kill humans. Too little resistance to slow it down... :help:

There's more then a few actually for both Elephant and Rhino. International population is still a big question but some places locally, bit of an issue so they farm out a loteery of liscense's and such for folks interested. Rogues are a big issue in a few places as well and those they sort of farm out the "potential" and when the opportunity comes up the phone rings and the planes start moving.

Seem to recall that if you go on a sanctioned hunt you can even still import the Ivory and such to places like the UK. Been awhile since I've looked into that. Biggest thing I've dropped myself is a toss up between my last Moose and the last Brown Bear. Had an opportunity to go for Cape Buffalo, but basically, those critters scare me so I passed.

Lot of private reserve stuff to. Not a fan of most of those though. I'm fine with non African/Asian big game.

~Rex

One of my friends recently bagged a lion with his Blaser .375H&H when it stood up at 35 yards while he was hunting buffalo. Actually, the shot was taken when it advanced TOWARDS them...

Well' date=' If it used some of the EXPLOSIVE ammo that was loaded in the original Nitro Express guns... Otherwise it should JUST kill humans. Too little resistance to slow it down... :help:[/quote']

Probably FO3's game physics as much as anything. Overdose targets with enough kinetic energy, and they tend to ..... disappear. Just that the 700 NE does it so well.

One of my friends recently bagged a lion with his Blaser .375H&H when it stood up at 35 yards while he was hunting buffalo. Actually' date=' the shot was taken when it advanced TOWARDS them...[/quote']

I'd rather face a Lion head on then a Cape Buffalo. 35 yards is pretty close though. Never had an opportunity to handle a Blaser, much less in the .375H&H, but a buddy of mine swears by it for his prefered Big Game rifle while I'm more of a Weatherby kinda guy. Some day though....

~Rex :D Wouldn't mind some actual Lion Hunting.....some of them get kinda pesky in places. Be an interesting stalk. Have done the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" as a con event for HERO a few times. Lions got mad game potential.

Probably FO3's game physics as much as anything. Overdose targets with enough kinetic energy' date=' and they tend to ..... disappear. Just that the 700 NE does it so well.[/quote']

Well, It is a game. I think I would rather have an 8 ga side by side. Shot OR slug!

I'd rather face a Lion head on then a Cape Buffalo. 35 yards is pretty close though. Never had an opportunity to handle a Blaser, much less in the .375H&H, but a buddy of mine swears by it for his prefered Big Game rifle while I'm more of a Weatherby kinda guy. Some day though....

~Rex :D Wouldn't mind some actual Lion Hunting.....some of them get kinda pesky in places. Be an interesting stalk. Have done the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" as a con event for HERO a few times. Lions got mad game potential.

I haven't hunted any dangerous game. I have an attraction to using a Marlin 1895 with Garrett loads... But the .375 is one of the standards that all others are judged by. ;)

I've done, a Couple of types of Bear, hogs, Mountain Lion (but that was one of those rogue animal things), Moose, Bison, other then that more then a few types of deer and even a couple of gators. Off Continent though, other then bear and boar, I've gotten Camera close to elephant and rhino (no desire really to put a bullet in one of those plus those things and cape buffalo scare the crap out of me), and got to help out a touch with a radio collar sponser thing for a jaguar and a tiger back in my early 20's, rather not repeat the bug and leech experience for that stuff though.

Was cool though considering how big into wildlife conservation most of your hunters really are, and their knowledge of it, yet, they get zero credit for it and are often witchhunted instead.

Back to the Ammo topic though......even in games I use the .375 as my benchmark foundation to judge up and down for other ammo types, and have even gone so far as to plugging in various csl's here and there to reflect the performance curve of various types of ammo. I'd say, for your big game cartridge, .375 is the one to measure everyone else by, same for .308 for the lighter caliber material.

~Rex.....2 weeks out from a bullpup conversion for an SKS. :D

Was cool though considering how big into wildlife conservation most of your hunters really are, and their knowledge of it, yet, they get zero credit for it and are often witchhunted instead.

What, you mean people who enjoy hunting animals have an interest in the continued existence of those animals? I . . . that's just incomprehensible! ;)

I've done, a Couple of types of Bear, hogs, Mountain Lion (but that was one of those rogue animal things), Moose, Bison, other then that more then a few types of deer and even a couple of gators. Off Continent though, other then bear and boar, I've gotten Camera close to elephant and rhino (no desire really to put a bullet in one of those plus those things and cape buffalo scare the crap out of me), and got to help out a touch with a radio collar sponser thing for a jaguar and a tiger back in my early 20's, rather not repeat the bug and leech experience for that stuff though.

Back to the Ammo topic though......even in games I use the .375 as my benchmark foundation to judge up and down for other ammo types, and have even gone so far as to plugging in various csl's here and there to reflect the performance curve of various types of ammo. I'd say, for your big game cartridge, .375 is the one to measure everyone else by, same for .308 for the lighter caliber material.

~Rex.....2 weeks out from a bullpup conversion for an SKS. :D

send me a picture of your conversion when you can. I am big on bullpups, and think the SKS is actually under-rated. I think I like them better than the AK.

I found something neat on the firearms blog...

European handgun case/safe/display case all in one! sweet, though very pricey

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/04/29/technoframes-blaze-pistol-case/

What' date=' you mean people who enjoy hunting animals have an interest in the continued existence of those animals? I . . . that's just incomprehensible! ;)[/quote']

Yeah we get a good laugh about here, you should see the clashes between the DNR and the Hunters ....Our DNR keeps telling us that we have Bazillions of Deer running amok...the Hunters keep reminding the DNR that until they can demonstrate the ability to count to 21 while naked in the shower, that the count is a few Bazillion short. Wisconsin DNR still uses Herd count methods that haven't been used by any other big hunting industry state (And Hunting is something like a Billion dollar industry in this state....), since oh, 1916.....

As for Gewing, yeah I'll post a pic when we get done converting it. SKS is always a lot of fun as a project, and you can find the little buggers at just about any gun show. Ammo is cheap, conversion kits abound. We're gonna roll with the Shernic Gun Works kit and give it a whirl. If the one works well we might do a couple more so we can equip all the friends. :D

http://sgworks.com/

~Rex

thanks. Around here the fish and game department often seems to be doing what it can to make hunting less feasible. Not to mention we have the worst hunting (mixed on fishing)in the region (compared to Idaho and Montana in particular, but I believe Oregon beats us too) but we charge at least as much as the other states do. In my area most of the deer seem to be stunted, I think they are too inbred. (No comment on the rest of the neighbors.) I think I mentioned before that the spike buck I shot on my property turned out to be a spike DOE!

Bullpup parts are in, next Gun show, pick up the SKS. Just trying to decide on which model to get since the bullpup kit works with any of them apparently. There's a few guys around here that have truckloads of SKS's hanging around so a lot to pick from for more then a fair price.

Lot of the deer around here are having issues as well. More then a few of those cross dressing does showing up, heh. We blame the DNR, though with the new Governer that may change real quick since he's always been pro hunter, and not so much, pro appointee for life that's never set foot in the woods ever for the posistions. Should at least shake things up to the point where we get a good herd count for once.

Deer around here are smart to. The local hippies like to feed them so they all just move into the suburbs during hunting season to hang out at the deer feeders in the folks back yards. Then of course there is the never ending wail of complaints from those same neighborhoods about how there is so many deer, cars get smashed every day, and folks are knee deep in Deer Poo, "EXTEND THE SEASON!!!!!", yet, can't find one freakin Deer actually "In" the woods, heh.

Simple rule really. You can count critters from behind a desk no matter what the piece of paper hanging on the wall says you have your degree in.... :D

Get's even more fun when you get folks suing because they decided to go out turkey hunting for the first time, and taking their 4 year old in full cammo along with them to play with the turkey caller and rustle around in the brush, and the kid gets shot. Terrible yes, but, really, turkey hunting, with something the size of a turkey, cammoed up to hide like a turkey, hanging out where the turkey's are, and making turkey noise. Not the smartest of moves, heh. Least it was bird shot, Kid's fine and now has an aversion to hiding in bushes with a turkey caller during turkey season.

All this reminds me though I do need to get a new rifle for Deer. Kinda want something different then the old, a bit better at range since I save my up close stuff for Bow or Black Powder. Open for suggestions, heh.

~Rex

Bullpup parts are in, next Gun show, pick up the SKS. Just trying to decide on which model to get since the bullpup kit works with any of them apparently. There's a few guys around here that have truckloads of SKS's hanging around so a lot to pick from for more then a fair price.

Lot of the deer around here are having issues as well. More then a few of those cross dressing does showing up, heh. We blame the DNR, though with the new Governer that may change real quick since he's always been pro hunter, and not so much, pro appointee for life that's never set foot in the woods ever for the posistions. Should at least shake things up to the point where we get a good herd count for once.

Deer around here are smart to. The local hippies like to feed them so they all just move into the suburbs during hunting season to hang out at the deer feeders in the folks back yards. Then of course there is the never ending wail of complaints from those same neighborhoods about how there is so many deer, cars get smashed every day, and folks are knee deep in Deer Poo, "EXTEND THE SEASON!!!!!", yet, can't find one freakin Deer actually "In" the woods, heh.

Simple rule really. You can count critters from behind a desk no matter what the piece of paper hanging on the wall says you have your degree in.... :D

Get's even more fun when you get folks suing because they decided to go out turkey hunting for the first time, and taking their 4 year old in full cammo along with them to play with the turkey caller and rustle around in the brush, and the kid gets shot. Terrible yes, but, really, turkey hunting, with something the size of a turkey, cammoed up to hide like a turkey, hanging out where the turkey's are, and making turkey noise. Not the smartest of moves, heh. Least it was bird shot, Kid's fine and now has an aversion to hiding in bushes with a turkey caller during turkey season.

All this reminds me though I do need to get a new rifle for Deer. Kinda want something different then the old, a bit better at range since I save my up close stuff for Bow or Black Powder. Open for suggestions, heh.

~Rex

Damn, I'm glad the kid survived. I haven't seriously tried hunting turkeys, there are a lot around, but almost never on my property. Not enough food for them.

My dad laughs about all the people using super-magnum shotguns and full body camoflage to hunt turkeys. The first time he and his friends went out, all 3 of them got turkeys. None wore camo. One used an over-under 12 ga upland gun, one used a pump action goose gun, the third used a 60 year old lever action .410. All clean kills...

Did the hunter who hit the kid get charged? I could see it due to not making SURE of his target. I would like to see the parent charged with Child endangerment too... YEESH.