Cybernetics and Bioengineering: what are YOUR limits?

Ragitsu

Re: Cybernetics and Bioengineering: what are YOUR limits?

I am up for almost anything as long as I still appear completely human and normal. Augment strength, enhanced hearing, artificial organs, whatever! Bioware will obviously be the way I would have to go...

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can’t even prove other humans have human-level thought, only that they appear to. Any sufficiently complex algorithm will appear to be sapient from outside the black box, just like a person.

I’m for any amount of improvement, so long as it is an improvement and I can afford it.

You never go full cyborg, you know?

Cybernetic stuff scares me. If they can link up a device to your brain, then that means a device can read your brain, and the concept of "thought crime" can't be far behind that.

If they can link up a device to your brain' date=' then that means a device can read your brain, and the concept of "thought crime" can't be far behind that.[/quote']

Just remembered: Once had the concept for a character with an obvious, artificial arm. The prototype of a new genration of cyber-limbs with direct, shielded link to the brain. That limb had a special slot for a chip. A "make limb user loyal" type of chip.

For him it that slot was empty, but there is a potential: Take some militaty guys, replace all 4 limbs with one of that design and you can have loyal supersoldiers...

Cybernetic stuff scares me. If they can link up a device to your brain' date=' then that means a device can read your brain, and the concept of "thought crime" can't be far behind that.[/quote']

Are you talking about Direct Neural Interface (DNI) (the concept of connecting electronics to a meat brain), or patterning (the concept of digitizing a human being into an electronic copy)?

While “thought crime” is a scary word, we don’t destroy all cars due to “automotive crime”, guns due to “gun crime” or the internet due to “internet crime”. Our society will adapt, and the ability to enforce and break the law will equilibrate.

Are you talking about Direct Neural Interface (DNI) (the concept of connecting electronics to a meat brain), or patterning (the concept of digitizing a human being into an electronic copy)?

While “thought crime” is a scary word, we don’t destroy all cars due to “automotive crime”, guns due to “gun crime” or the internet due to “internet crime”. Our society will adapt, and the ability to enforce and break the law will equilibrate.

You are an optimist ;)

We have burned books, we have attempted genocide on countless occasions, we love to vilify those who have different beliefs or politics than we do, and we love to throw people in jail for victimless crimes. We have had Presidents state that Atheists should not be allowed citizenship...

Not saying it would happen, it just scares me that it could happen.

Is that not potentially underestimating human creativity in the field of robotics/artificial intelligence?

It is. Over the years, I've known several intelligent well-trained people who stated confidently that "Computers will never be able to do X". The common feature is how swiftly they have been proven wrong.

cheers, Mark

Bioengineering? DNA computers, "organic" carbon-nano-fiber bone, skin, muscle that regenerates rapidly, a "bio-fusion" organ that converts food to energy far more efficiently than our existing digestive system(and skin cells which do likewise with solar energy), anaerobic support for my cardiovascular system(enabling me to go hours without breathing), engineering of Metheuselah genes and anti-senescence systems, sensory abilities rivalling the best in the animal kingdom, and "wireless" brain-to-brain communication(using pheromones or tiny organically generated em signals or subvocalizations or whatever). An internal "drug factory" run by DNA computer which manufactures whatever's necessary for my needs.

Oh, and a prehensile phallus...or three.

But cybernetics? Probably not. It's just sooo early 21st Century. :P

Cybernetic stuff scares me. If they can link up a device to your brain, then that means a device can read your brain, and the concept of "thought crime" can't be far behind that.

Another Ghost in the Shell fan, I see.

It is. Over the years' date=' I've known several intelligent well-trained people who stated confidently that "[i']Computers will never be able to do X[/i]". The common feature is how swiftly they have been proven wrong.

The case of true AI is especially silly. We don't even know how consciousness works yet, how can anyone say whether computers will be able to do it or not?

The case of true AI is especially silly. We don't even know how consciousness works yet' date=' how can anyone say whether computers will be able to do it or not?[/quote']

DNA computers' date=' "organic" carbon-nano-fiber bone, skin, muscle that regenerates rapidly, a "bio-fusion" organ that converts food to energy far more efficiently than our existing digestive system(and skin cells which do likewise with solar energy), anaerobic support for my cardiovascular system(enabling me to go hours without breathing), engineering of Metheuselah genes and anti-senescence systems, sensory abilities rivalling the best in the animal kingdom, and "wireless" brain-to-brain communication(using pheromones or tiny organically generated em signals or subvocalizations or whatever). An internal "drug factory" run by DNA computer which manufactures whatever's necessary for my needs.[/quote']

I would say half of that list is impossible to build, since we do not know enough about how the underlying process works/how to build it into the body without killing us. Yet, nobody argues that this will be possible someday.

I would say half of that list is impossible to build' date=' since we do not know enough about how the underlying process works/how to build it into the body without killing us. Yet, nobody argues that this will be possible someday.[/quote']

If we can contemplate nanotechnology, quantum computing, AI, megascale engineering etc., I don't see why we can't contemplate using bioengineering to transcend the limitations of our current meat suits. It's true we don't know enough about the underlying processes...yet. And I'm sure a lot of the stuff I suggested would be dismissed as technically impossible or even science fantasy. BUT...how much of the stuff we do routinely now in medicine and bio-science would have been thought of as technically impossible or science fantasy a mere century ago?

I'm open to any augmentation as long as any losses are substantially mitigated by the gains and pose no future problems.

GuntherHermann.jpg

Yeah, i'm going to want to stay looking human, at least. Maybe this shallowness of mine will deepen in time...

I'm open to any augmentation as long as any losses are substantially mitigated by the gains and pose no future problems.

I'd require a significant increase in capability before I'd actually replace any functioning body part with a cybernetic version. I did get my eyes lasered out, for example, which is about the best four grand I ever spent. And other than the slight risk of infection or error, there's basically no downside. OTOH I understand that prostheses for leg amputees are superior in some ways to actual feet, I think I'd still rather have an actual foot for the sake of versatility.

I think I'd prefer to stay with biotech improvements over cyberware. Replace failing organs due to age or disease with better ones, replace my bones with ones that are stronger and more durable and resculpt my body to one that is thinner and fitter.

It mostly depends on how necessarily it is. If a body part is failing to the point where it damages my ability to function, there is no limit to how far I'd go to replace it. If I for example have the choice between a crippled arm or a cybernetic replacement, I'd take the replacement. And I'd prioritize functionality over looks. I'd rather have a slightly bulky metallic arm with the ability to carry more, and some nifty features like a built in harddisk, precise temperature/weight measuring device, hidden compartment, etc than a prosthetic with normal human capabilities.

I'd like to stay humanoid though, and I'd like to keep my face as it is (a cybernetic eye would have to have a lot of features before I'd take an obvious one over a prosthetic). I'd also prefer being symmetrical, except where asymmetry would look cool. I wouldn't like two different cybernetic arms, for example, but one obvious and bulky cybernetic arm and one normal human arm does have a certain appeal.

I'd take the more extreme options (brain-in-a-jar cyborg or uploading my personality into a computer) only in two situations: either when its the only way to continue living (where living is defined as being mobile, awake, and capable of functioning in society) or when it's proven to be hugely beneficial and completely reversible.

That leaves mental augmentation. Where do I sign? I'd be very happy to accept almost any type of mental augmentation that doesn't infringe upon my freedom. But built in cell phones (or better yet, a smart phone), AR, parallel processing and direct computer links are all good investments. I'd basically take anything I can afford.

The other obvious issue would be any social stigmas that result from others knowing you are modified.

Who cares? I plan to outlive the meatbags. If discriminating against me for a few decades makes their lives trapped in rotting flesh more endurable, I can give them that.

I like the idea of upgrading myself, as long as I'm still myself.

As for moving my memories into a computer - Buddy, a "Move" operation is just a "Copy" operation with a following "Delete" operation on the source. All you're doing is making a clone and killing yourself. And who wants to inflict that pain on their clone?