spell: ignite & douse

feywulf

Hey

I'm working on a list of spells that are conversions of d&d spells. The baseline i have set up is

Active points ~ d&d Spell level

01-15 ~= 0th level

16-30 ~= 1st level

31-45 ~= 2nd level

46-60 ~= 3rd level

Anyways, i was working on a small spell to represent the way wizards can light and extinguish candles(and other small flammable things) with magic.

My first idea for how to do an ignite/douse spell was to use a minor transform:

ignite/douse:minor transform 1d6 "create or extinguish small flames"

increased target group +1/4

no range -1/2, g&i -1/2, rsr -1/2

10b 12a 5r 1 END, -1 to roll, range 0"

However, someone mentioned on the boards that they do an ignite spell with a 1 pip rka, which sounds like a better way to do ignite.

ignite v2:rka 1pip

5b 5a 2r 1 END, -1 to roll, range 0"

My question is, with ignite written as a 1 pip rka, what would be the best way to write a spell to extinguish a small flame? I could use the minor transform and remove the increased target group, but i'd like to see if anyone else has a better idea.

I've already written a greater ignite that can do multiple candles within an area at once, so the write up for douse should be expandable to handle extinguishing many candles at once.

greater ignite:rka 1pip

area:radius(x2radius 2") +1.25, selective +1/4

5b 12a 5r 1 END, -1 to roll, range 0"

Try these....

Cost Power END
6 Extinguish: Telekinesis (8 STR) (12 Active Points); Only Works On Limited Types Of Objects (Very Limited Group of Objects; -1) 1
10 Ignite : Change Environment 1" radius (Long-Lasting: 1 Hour) (15 Active Points); Only to ignite Candle/Torch (-1/2) 1
Powers Cost: 16

Simple and Cheap....

You can add a temperature change to the ignite if you desire. The Time limit is also optional (GM Call) via p. 91 5th...

You can Add the Fine Manipulation clause if you'd like, but I'd rule as a GM that its not a requirement to "blow out a candle, torch, etc."

Originally posted by Shadowpup

How large of an area does extinguish cover? What are the special effects? Does the fire just die out or is there a sudden downpour of water?

1d6 EB splash of water, area effect, indirect

1d6 EB or 1 pip RKA oxygen removal, area effect, only to extinguish fires

The greater douse/extinguish spell should have the same area as greater ignite, 2" radius. The sfx would be something like freezing the flame so it stops, a gust of wind to blow the candles out, or snuffing out the oxygen so they stop burning. The small flames would just die out.

Its probably the kind of small cantrip like effect that could be handled freeform rather bothering to write it up.

I like the idea of it being a 1d6 stun only eb with the sfx of a tiny gust of candle snuffing wind. That way it has the same base and active cost as ignite, and can use the same advantage that turns ignite into greater ignite to make the greater douse/extinguish spell.

douse/extinguish:eb 1d6

stun only -0, no range -1/2, g&i -1/2, rsr -1/2

5b 5a 2r 1 END, -1 to roll, range 0"

greater douse/extinguish:eb 1d6

area:radius(x2radius 2") +1.25, selective +1/4

stun only -0, no range -1/2, g&i -1/2, rsr -1/2

5b 12a 5r 1 END, -1 to roll, range 0"

Originally posted by archer

If you're letting Energy Blast douse a fire, I'd say make the whole spell an Energy Blast, Variable SFX and not Stun Only; that way you could use it either to light a fire or douse one.

So then that would be:

greater ignite/extinguish:eb 1d6

area:radius(x2radius 2") +1.25, selective +1/4,

variable effect +1/4

5b 14a 6r 1 END, -1 to roll, range 0"

Which would result in a 1 pt slot cost for an MP to light or extinguish any candles or other small flamable objects within a 2" radius. Whether you make it be a 1d6 eb, or a 1 pip rka wouldn't really make much of a difference, since a candle wick, or tinder and other such easily flammable things wouldn't have any defenses. And it keeps it under 15 active points to line up with the spell level conversion chart i'm using.

Ignite/Douse

I like Gradon's solution, makes more sense to me using the rules, though I don't think you need 8 STR to blow out candles/torches. The other option is to use the same CE to extinguish the flames and just expand your effect a bit.

Tim

>>>

6 Extinguish: Telekinesis (8 STR) (12 Active Points); Only Works On Limited Types Of Objects (Very Limited Group of Objects; -1) 1

10 Ignite : Change Environment 1" radius (Long-Lasting: 1 Hour) (15 Active Points); Only to ignite Candle/Torch (-1/2)

<<<

Re: Ignite/Douse

Originally posted by tgaptte

I like Gradon's solution, makes more sense to me using the rules, though I don't think you need 8 STR to blow out candles/torches. The other option is to use the same CE to extinguish the flames and just expand your effect a bit.

Tim

>>>

10 Ignite : Change Environment 1" radius (Long-Lasting: 1 Hour) (15 Active Points); Only to ignite Candle/Torch (-1/2)

<<<

I looked the otehr day and since everyone was going the RKA way i kindof dropped out....

I agree...but change my mind on the Teke....

I like the Change Enviroment for both now....just alter the effect....

I think the KA is a bit of a stretch for the SFX wanted....

And Change Enviroment fits nicely if not exactly (in my mind)... as said before, the time limit is optional per FRED but I like it to simulate the need for fuel, cloth, etc for the fire... as for the Extinguish, it seems non necesary to have e time...