Clever Future Weapons

CorpCommander

Re: Clever Future Weapons

I guess that quick thinking shows he's not completely stupid. :) But I really hope he got a very' date=' very good (painful?) lesson on gun safety after that. He violated rule #1 of guns, after all.[/quote']

Actually, I doubt any lesson could be worse than what he put himself through. By the time he came home - many hours later - my Dad had been at the hospital for about 12 hours, until I had come out of surgery and was basically wrung out. I think he got a mild talking to and that was it: he knew what he'd done.

The next day, though, Dad rounded up all the guns in the house and threw them in the river behind our house. It took us a long time to persuade him to let us have them again. :D

cheers, Mark

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a soldier armed with a laser rifle' date=' with dozens of settings for range, focus, pulse rate, frequency, and whatnot will be at a severe disadvantage to a soldier armed with an M-16 that just has a safety and a trigger.[/quote']

My M-4 has a safety - I point it at other people and I am safe. It also has a selector switch that sets the trigger from 0 to many bullets per pull.

I think the laser guy has the advantage though. By the time we get to having lasers all of that "manual crap" will be done automatically as registered by the signal return from the laser itself. There is zero time of flight, flat tragectory and little effect from trigger flinch. Honestly, I would not be happy knowing I was up against lasers with scopes. It takes a math genius to fire a sniper rifle at > 400 yards* - but a laser is point and shoot.

Just remember to shoot the guys in back first if you are elevated because all that mist and smoke from the burning and steaming will just blunt the force of the laser. Search and traverse boyos.

CC

*You have bullet drop, differing hights changing the hypotnuse of the bullet path, scopes marked in minutes of angle that you have to convert to inches at the estimated range, etc. Don't let video games tell you differently. You cannot "no-scope" in real life! :-)

Still' date=' I wouldn't be around if the bullet had continued in - instead the slug ricocheted off the shattered bone and kind of skidded along the inside of the skull, eventually coming to rest up against the superficial temopral artery (back by my ear). A fraction of an inch more and I would have hæmorraghed to death in a couple of minutes.[/quote']

Probably seconds actually. See, it is all about shot placement. I was talking to a colonel that in Viet Nam got a ride from a guy that needed to be lifted by the crew into the pilots seat of his Slick. Upon inquiry he found out the guy was a hell of a chopper pilot and that he got hit by a .50 cal. in the gut. The shot took away most of his abdominal muscle but he managed to *fly the bird home*!

I have also heard of an SAS guy that got a 40mm round (big Air Defense round) and tossed about 10 meters. It hit his rucksack! No idea if the story is true - there is some controversy in the truth of the tale.

Anyway, I am very glad your brother had such lousy shot placement and that you've lived to tell your tale. Any follow on problems from the injury later in life?

Probably seconds actually.

Nah, I've seen enough trauma up close to be able to make a good guess. But it would be pretty academic - you get a hole in even a secondary artery where you can't pinch it off and you're dead unless you're alreday in an operating theatre

Anyway' date=' I am very glad your brother had such lousy shot placement and that you've lived to tell your tale. Any follow on problems from the injury later in life?[/quote']

Not to speak of. I had really bad headaches in my last year of high school/first year of college, which were eventually traced to the plate they put in my head. I had a second op to remove the plate, and after the bone grew back in, I was fine. At least one person on the boards here can remember me when I still had a soft squishy hole in my head and a pretty impressive scar (scar's still there but not all purple and exposed like it used to be).

cheers, Mark

Lets see. Some of the alien weapons I've used:

KET (kinetic energy transducer) weapons that store kinetic energy and instantly inject it into the projectile: no recoil and super high speed.

Similarly, a KET baton that does the same thing in hand to hand, causing horrible wounds with a touch.

A gun that fires a desolidified miniature bomb into the target which remains there and can be remotely detonated at a later time.

The old standby Gauss weapons that are miniature rail guns

Electrothermal guns, which use water as propellant (the gun fires a high-amperage bolt of electricity into the bullet which channels the now-plasma into the spent uranium bullet, firing it).

Smart Bullets that are miniature rockets, able to turn and bank into the targets you mark or lock on to a target and hit it around corners, super accurate and doesn't require careful aiming

Psych Blaster that does mental damage to the target, ignoring defenses.

Nah, I've seen enough trauma up close to be able to make a good guess. But it would be pretty academic - you get a hole in even a secondary artery where you can't pinch it off and you're dead unless you're alreday in an operating theatre

Wait! Apply a tourniquet to the neck! and... oh... uh wait a minute.

Anyway. I am sure you snicker everytime someone says they want to give you a piece of their mind.

How many hexes away was your brother? Since it wasn't a properly aimed shot he didn't suffer the -8 OCV but got lucky on the location table. What kind of gun was it? One of those small rifles? So RKA 1D6+1? What do you estimate your rPD was at the time? :-)

Wait! Apply a tourniquet to the neck! and... oh... uh wait a minute.

Anyway. I am sure you snicker everytime someone says they want to give you a piece of their mind.

How many hexes away was your brother? Since it wasn't a properly aimed shot he didn't suffer the -8 OCV but got lucky on the location table. What kind of gun was it? One of those small rifles? So RKA 1D6+1? What do you estimate your rPD was at the time? :-)

He was only 1 hex away (so no penalty) and I was surprised and out of combat so the head shot's only a -4. Given that he probably had at least +1 OCV at that point, that makes it pretty much an 11- roll. Small rifle, so I'm guessing only 1d6 or maybe 1d6+1 and he probably rolled low on the BOD, since even a .22 short is quite capable of killing an adult male at close range (it was favoured by a variety of secret services for assassinations)

Despite what I said about combat luck, I don't think I actually have any rPD :D

cheers, Mark

Despite what I said about combat luck, I don't think I actually have any rPD :D

cheers, Mark

Actually, you do. It's special effect is "Bone", but it has an Activation Roll (or Partial Coverage), dependent upon the part of the body. Without the Bone there to absorb much of the shot's energy and deflect it's path, what would have happened?

Better yet: Sonic Screamer. Radiates a 360 degree blast of VERY LOUD ultrasound, large area effect - uses the frequencies that cause disorientation, pain and death in humans.

Used either as an area denial weapon, or, mounted on an armoured vehicle, to clear areas. Troops operating with the Screamer would wear "Bat's Ears" style protective gear; to prevent the enemy doing the same thing, switch the frequencies according to a mutating algorithm which the Bat's Ears match.

Better yet: Sonic Screamer. Radiates a 360 degree blast of VERY LOUD ultrasound, large area effect - uses the frequencies that cause disorientation, pain and death in humans.

Used either as an area denial weapon, or, mounted on an armoured vehicle, to clear areas. Troops operating with the Screamer would wear "Bat's Ears" style protective gear; to prevent the enemy doing the same thing, switch the frequencies according to a mutating algorithm which the Bat's Ears match.

Kinda like in Mars Attacks? :lol:

Clever Future Weapon: Sonic Disrupter. Uses tuned harmonics to literally cause the person/vehicle/structure to shake apart. It tunes itself to each target by analyzing the returning sound bouncing off the target' date=' thus very quickly finding the target's harmonic "sweet spot".[/quote']

Take it a step further. The weapon alternately strengthens and suppresses the atomic forces holding molecultes together a couple hundred times in a second. Should reduce nearly any physical object to dust.:drink:

Take it a step further. The weapon alternately strengthens and suppresses the atomic forces holding molecules together a couple hundred times in a second. Should reduce nearly any physical object to dust.:drink:

I've read somewhere that this is exactly what the Klingon Disruptor does in Star Trek.

The thing is, why do the alternation? Why not just suppress the atomic forces holding molecules together and have the target fly apart instantly?

Take it a step further. The weapon alternately strengthens and suppresses the atomic forces holding molecultes together a couple hundred times in a second. Should reduce nearly any physical object to dust.:drink:

In John Campbell's THE ULTIMATE WEAPON (1936), the "crumbler" ray projects an oscillating electromagnetic field. It is tuned to the crystal structure of the metals composing the hapless target spaceship. It gives the target a vastly accelerated case of metal fatigue, and it crumbles into bits.

I've read somewhere that this is exactly what the Klingon Disruptor does in Star Trek.

The thing is, why do the alternation? Why not just suppress the atomic forces holding molecules together and have the target fly apart instantly?

Yes, that is exactly what the Klingon's vird'dakaasei (literlly translated as the 'shake it 'til it falls apart tool') does.

I would guess that the power requirements to totally supress the atomic forces is too high for it to be practical - in a Star Trek, rubber science sorta way. On the other hand, creating an 'ocsilating' effect would do the same job, very nearly as fast, and on a vastly smaller energy budget which is important from a weapon standpoint.

Besides, the Klingon's early energy weapons were sonics of exactly the type you described (vibrate it physically until it shatters). The Klingon disruptors simply take the concept from the physical to the atomic scale.

(Just realized: I have just shown exactly how much of a Star Trek geek I am! :eek::o)