MYTHIC HERO: What Do *You* Want To See?

• Please log in to reply
352 replies to this topic

#341 megaplayboy

megaplayboy

Left Hook of Justice, Esq

• 20,463 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

Honestly, if you have writeups for dozens of deities from real world mythologies, not that difficult to adapt the format and write up a few fictional ones as well.
  • steriaca likes this
ROOMMATE WANTED in Northeast DC, beginning January 1st. If interested, please PM me.

#342 Matt the Bruins

Matt the Bruins

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 1,174 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

I do think figures from Lovecraft's work might present more of a challenge to that method than most.

#343 megaplayboy

megaplayboy

Left Hook of Justice, Esq

• 20,463 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

I do think figures from Lovecraft's work might present more of a challenge to that method than most.

Well, there are write-ups for one or two of the Kings of Edom(I think in the Demon handbook and elsewhere) and the sanity-blasting effects are well modeled there. Of course, the Lovecraftian deities aren't necessarily prone to vulgar displays of power, so calibrating their capabilities might be tricky.
ROOMMATE WANTED in Northeast DC, beginning January 1st. If interested, please PM me.

#344 Hugh Neilson

Hugh Neilson

SETAC Gadfly

• 16,558 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

I don't think the issue is that it would be hard, but that it is not consistent with the vision for the book. Why not write up the Moorcock deities, the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the God Of Rear Service Entrances, while you're at it?

Mythic Hero is about bringing the real Deities of Myth to Hero, not fictional Deites.

It's not like Steve needs to pad the page count!
  • Steve Long, Lord Liaden and bigbywolfe like this

#345 Steve Long

Steve Long

Decuple Millennial Master

• Administrators
  • 16,776 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

That last point is certainly true. ;)

Steve Long Young Curmudgeon

#346 JmOz

JmOz

I survived Cyber-Games

• 8,782 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

Out of curiosity: what is the status on this?

Also regarding "Fictional Gods" I would say that it might be a good small press book (What ever they are called; $2-5 pdfs) after the main book is done.

The only thing common about common sense is the common lack of it

...'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh, so smart or oh, so pleasant.' For years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."Harvey --- Thanks Hermit and BobGreenwade

Come by the website @ http://jawedel01.wix.../kountry-gaming

#347 PhilFleischmann

PhilFleischmann

Mad Scientist

• 2,773 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

I don't know if this has been addressed already, but what about the illustrations?  I rarely ever see illustrations of RPG gods that look "good" - and by that I mean that actually look like gods.  Most of them either look like ordinary characters or monsters, and some look like superheroes.  I know it's a serious challenge to artists to really make their illustrations look "Mythic", but it seems that in most other RPG sources, they don't even try for a mythic look.  If the gods are "special" - something beyond even the mortal heroes that are the PCs and beyond the mastermind villains and powerful monsters - then they ought to *look* like it!

I know it's a tall order for an artist who is used to drawing superheroes or ordinary mortal characters and fantasy landscapes and cityscapes and monsters.  Let the illustrations of the gods look worthy of ancient tapestries and temple walls, huge statues and sacred altars.  It shouldn't necessarily be that difficult - pictures of gods generally don't need intricate detail.  After all, mere mortals never actually met these gods face-to-face, except in the myths themselves.  And the myths do not describe every detail of their clothing and facial features.  The pictures should be iconic and symbolic, even abstract to an extent - to give them an other-worldly feel.  If they look too concrete and realistic, it makes them seem more ordinary.

• Lord Liaden likes this
"Sir, you're mad with power!" "Of course I am. You ever try being mad *without* power? It's boring. Nobody listens to you."

#348 Zephrosyne

Zephrosyne

Powerful Hero

• 306 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:51 AM

Hey Steve, there is one thing  I'm really curious about.  How many character points do your gods have?  Yes, I know it varies.  I'm sure Zeus has a good bit more than say Hermes.  Just give me a little teaser.  I don't need a character sheet.  I'm just curious about the point range of gods (not heroes and demigods, the big boys).  Please...a little somethin, somethin  :bounce:

#349 Steve Long

Steve Long

• Administrators
  • 16,776 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

Out of curiosity: what is the status on this?

I was just heading here yesterday with a status update when an Internet outage derailed me. Now my Internet is back, so here I are. ;)

The status is:  I have just finished the chapter on Hittite Mythology, and have begun the chapter on Incan Mythology! There's still a long way to go -- a year or years of dedicated work, at least -- but I am making as steady progress as I can.

• Doctor Agenda likes this

#350 Steve Long

Steve Long

• Administrators
  • 16,776 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

I don't know if this has been addressed already, but what about the illustrations?

All I can say at this point is that I have given this issue considerable thought. My intention is to get absolutely the best art I can without spending myself into the poorhouse. I will lose money on the book if I have to, but it is going to be illustrated beautifully.

When I have some actual information, I'll definitely pass it along. :)

• Lord Liaden and PhilFleischmann like this

#351 Steve Long

Steve Long

• Administrators
  • 16,776 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

How many character points do your gods have? 

The honest answer is that I can't give you any real information, because I haven't calculated the costs yet. When I write a HERO System book, the adding up of the character sheets is the very last step. That way if I make any changes or discover any omissions, I don't have to go to the extra work of changing costs already calculated. I developed this method in self defense, and it has worked superbly. ;)

However, for purposes of satisfying your curiosity, I can quickly run through and add up a few sheets as they now stand. These are not final numbers, mind you, but they should give you some ballpark ideas.

Zeus:  2,654

Loki:  1,286

Kali:  2,759

Huitzilopochtli:  1,742

Perun:  2,459

Olorun:  1,647

Note that one of the factors affecting a god's or hero's cost is how well he's described in the sources available to me. Any god who gets a full character sheet is important enough and detailed enough to merit that treatment, but some are much better described than others. That means more stuff on their sheets.

Also worth noting:  gods rarely have Multipowers. I might use one for a multi-purpose weapon or the like, but usually not for specific divine abilities. I buy those separately so the god can use his Divine Power Pool to augment the power when necessary and desired.

The gods listed here provide some examples. Zeus is well-described and has lots of powers; so is Kali (in fact, the Hindu gods and heroes in general are expensive, because they're loaded down with powers, magical weapons, and whatnot). Perun isn't well described (no Slavic god is), but has lots of powers. Huitzilopochtli is generally powerful and well-described, but unlike Zeus his weapon is bought as an OAF, which really saves him some points. Olorun is neither well-described nor has lots of powers. Loki I'm surprised to see come in so low, but he's not that complex a god for HERO System purposes, and in any event there may be more to add to him.

I hope that offers a little insight into the process. ;)

• Doctor Agenda likes this

#352 Zephrosyne

Zephrosyne

Powerful Hero

• 306 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

Cool, thank you very much.  I've been gaming for 30 years and I can honestly say that I have never been wanting a product so badly.

#353 indy523

indy523

Skilled Normal

• 57 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

Hi

What I would like to see are the "limits"to Godly powers due to agreement of the

gods or other things.  For insance if a God goes to earth his Avatar is much more limited and not omnipotent as he might be in the dimension that is the Realm of the Gods, O;y,pus, Asgard erc.

Also I'd ;ike the rules to cover sons of deities uncovering their powers.

Certain powers can be used but not for certain effects.  For instane Zues cannot just hit Persues with a lightning bolt from heaven and kill him but can give limited magic items to his enemies, etc.