What is Happening with Dark Champions?

Deadman

Re: What is Happening with Dark Champions?

No worries Manic Typist. I agree with you. Now that you put it that way. The name itself does lend to the confusion. Some of the guys put forth that it should be renamed to Action Hero or the like. But I doubt that will happen since Dark Champions was Mr. Long's first large contribution to the Hero System. If I am not mistaken. I have that book. And in buying it, it put my friends and I on a long and fun Dark Champions gaming rollercoaster that we are still riding today.

Dave

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My players want more masks in the game so I am going to try and get some inspiration from Batman`s Rogues gallery. I plan on swapping out HERO system write-ups of the various villians. For instance the Black Harlequin is basically the Joker.

Dave

Since you say your players are interested in "more masks" in the campaign, have you looked at Dark Champions: The Animated Series? The name is probably a giveaway as to the style of gaming and characters that it represents.

I do own Dark Champions : The animated series. I will be borrowing a few of the write-ups. Although one of my longtime loves is the Batman Animated series and I would love to run a game envisioned like it. I found the Dark Champions : The animated series disappointing as a product. There were some major editing errors in my copy and the art work was not really up to the same caliber of the rest of HERO system books. I also feel many of the write-ups are a little too corny even for the animated style genre. Icons the rpg was able to get an artist that emulated the animated style. So I have never really understood why HERO games couldn`t have gotten a similar artist. Money maybe, time who knows.

What would have been nice to see is "Animated" style write-ups and artistic renditions of some of the existing Champions universe characters that would fit in a Dark Champions: The Animated Series style rpg.

Dave

I have no idea what's happening with Dark Champions, I can't see it.

Somebody shine a light on it for us.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary points out that if it were lit up, it would no longer be dark.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We play a tabletop DC game, Shadows Over Detroit,  low SUPER powered. Set in modern day Detroit, the player characters are vigilante super heroes stumbling to free Detroit from the grip of the villainous Card Shark & his organization! All the while trying to prevent open warfare between Buckshot & his Overlords with the voodoo Hogun Brother Namann & his Ghede Posse.

Are the urban legends of the criminal genius known only as the Master of Crime & his Midnight Syndicate real?

Welcome to the gritty streets of Detroit, lock & load, & watch your back! The Card Shark organization dates back to the 1930s in Detroit and the very first Card Shark carved out part of the Purple Gang's turf with brains, guts, & skill. Their war continues today with the new Purple Gang nipping at Card Sharks heels this time! Caught in middle of this are our heroes who may be all that stand between the regular people of the city and chaos! Mean while the aging vigilante Night-Spider is looking for someone (or some), to take over his lonely & deadly vigil. "Welcome to Detroit where the weak are killed and eaten!"

Disclaimer: I'm just a player, so my info is limited, but here goes: I play The Kraken, similar to Bruce Lee with a utility belt and Night Vision.  Also see...

Spectre:  Images; all senses, 2m x 2m or smaller.

Silent Knight*: super escape artist with a sword cane.

Captain Blood: swordsman.

Kid Crusader: street fighter.

Bloodsport: assassin.

Jack O'Lantern*: weaponeer, like the Green Goblin from Spider-Man.

Masked Claw and Ghost*:  Brawler with dire hound.  He's based on me! <blush>

*pregens made by our GM, Bo, used by players.

So, some of our (anti)heroes have low-end powers, others have none, as we chose.

Disclaimer: I'm just a player, so my info is limited, but here goes: I play The Kraken, similar to Bruce Lee with a utility belt and Night Vision. Also see...

Spectre: Images; all senses, 2m x 2m or smaller.

Silent Knight*: super escape artist with a sword cane.

Captain Blood: swordsman.

Kid Crusader: street fighter.

Bloodsport: assassin.

Jack O'Lantern*: weaponeer, like the Green Goblin from Spider-Man.

Masked Claw and Ghost*: Brawler with dire hound. He's based on me! <blush>

*pregens made by our GM, Bo, used by players.

So, some of our (anti)heroes have low-end powers, others have none, as we chose.

I recently discovered Jack O'Lantern in an anthology of old Spider-Man comics and decided he'd make a great villain for a Dark Champions game. Although he has pretty much the same gimmick as Green Goblin, he just seems so much cooler to me.

Yeah, we're martial arts fans, ran two successful ancient Chinese martial arts campaigns.  Martial arts are a good fit for no/low Powers campaigns like many Dark Champions games.  Holla if you're going to be in town and want a special guest cameo, Ninja-Bear. http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Shadowsoverdetroit/info

I did buy DC: TAS several months ago and I was able to run a scenerio with my kids. The famous duo Lady Hawk and Hawk boy foiled the caper of the Astraloger!  It was fun.  When the kids swung across the ballroom to get to the villians, I had to whistle the theme from Batman: TAS.  The book I thought had some neat concepts.  Now as a disclaimer, it is hard for me to fairly judge the book since I don't have DC 5th but only the original 4th version.  Which means that even though I felt that he could've covered more information in the GM section, the author might of felt that it was already covered sufficently in DC.  One area where I thought he could've went more in-depth was pros and cons of running Hudson city knights versus Hudson Powers.  I was surprised by the amount of villians!  And it even had suggestions of converting CKC to the game.  Another quirk I thought was the author implied that the game be set in Hudson City.  I don't know why.  My guess, is that its the default setting for DC.  (I came to this conclusion because he stated that Hudson powers weren't official in-universe).  I thought that Allen Thomas did a decent job.

I do hope the content is worth it, but I still like to look a gaming pages without heaving. the pictures in 4th edition were quite good and usually up to the standards of comparable books. Some had their own style that made them recognizable as HERO products - which is fine with me. 6th edition is just great, especially the Champions books. But there were 5th edition books that really were a shame. DC:TAS was one of them.

I'll see if I can pick up a copy on ebay - if it is cheap.

DCC: TAS is the only Cark Champions book that I didn't buy. THE ART-WORK IS GODAWFUL!!!

Especially when you consider that it is to emulate animated superheroes.

Terrible. Just terrible. Ach Gott - fürchterlicher geht's nicht ...

I agree most of the artwork was sub-par. But the content was bang on, IMO.