Autofire and Muliple-Power Qs

Guest C_Zeree

Guest C_Zeree

Sorry for the new question, but I have no XP playing the game. Only looked at stats thus far.

Ok how does Autofire work with martial maneuvers?

Do you have to build a power to get a martial maneuver, which looks like it would cost a lot more, and then add the autofire adder? Or could you just put the adder on the maneuver?

Basically I am looking for a quick triple strike from an epee.

I was thinking just put the adder on the Slash maneuver from Fencing. This seems like its cheating...

However, if I built a power to simulate it, should I just include the epee damage as well in the HKA? Or is it "more correct" to build the HKA maneuver separate, and then do a multi-power attack with the autofire move + epee damage? How would the damage add for this? Like a maneuver or like two attacks, each getting the STR boost?

Soooo confused. :confused:

Well an option you have not considered is to actually use the optional Sweep maneuver from the FRED. It basically allows you to make more than one attack in a phase. While not perfect it might be better to do it this way.

As for autofire and martial arts, as far as I know that's not really allowed. You would need to buy HKA attack with autofire instead to simulate it.

For example the epee attack in question would have to built so that the HKA equaled the epee's DCs.

In a heroic game I might allows someone to buy a naked advantage of autofire to apply only to an epee attack. In a supers game almost never.

Re: Autofire and Muliple-Power Qs

Originally posted by C_Zeree

Sorry for the new question, but I have no XP playing the game. Only looked at stats thus far.

Ok how does Autofire work with martial maneuvers?

Do you have to build a power to get a martial maneuver, which looks like it would cost a lot more, and then add the autofire adder? Or could you just put the adder on the maneuver?

Basically I am looking for a quick triple strike from an epee.

I was thinking just put the adder on the Slash maneuver from Fencing. This seems like its cheating...

However, if I built a power to simulate it, should I just include the epee damage as well in the HKA? Or is it "more correct" to build the HKA maneuver separate, and then do a multi-power attack with the autofire move + epee damage? How would the damage add for this? Like a maneuver or like two attacks, each getting the STR boost?

Soooo confused. :confused:

This is put together from Info from both 5th and UMA...

Cost Power END
10 Slash: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 +1 (vs. PD), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/2) (35 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (3x END; -1), No STR Bonus (-1/2), Hand to Hand Attack (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) [Notes: Add Weapon Damage ] 3
Powers Cost: 10

UMA p. 131 says Autofire is allowed but doesnt give a good example....

5th p. 162 has a usueable version with throwing knives....

combined is what I worked out...

Might be better options...its late and I am very tired....

hope it helps.

C_Zeree,

Not to worry, you'll get the hang of it. :D

The short answer is that you can't slap Autofire on a four-point Martial Maneuver. You can either:

(1) Build a separate power to simulate the attack. GradonSilverton's post is close. Or,

(2) There are optional rules in Ultimate Martial Artist for adding Advantages to Martial Maneuvers.

I'll work up both methods tonight, if someone else doesn't beat me to it. :P I think you'll find the folks here most helpful.

Or, as nblade noted, you can also use the Sweep maneuver.

Guest C_Zeree
Originally posted by nblade

Well an option you have not considered is to actually use the optional Sweep maneuver from the FRED. It basically allows you to make more than one attack in a phase. While not perfect it might be better to do it this way.

I actually thought about sweep, but it is, I guess, a personal preference. I liked the idea of each strike getting tougher and tougher to land. Instead of the entire set of attacks being degraded because the character hurries and tries to hit multiple opponents.

My thanks for your help and the general welcoming air, thus far.

I'm pretty sure you can buy Advantages on Martial Arts maneuvers, but the way you do it is to buy it on the effective DC of the attack. There are some modifications to that in the UMA, but they aren't really necessary. So, basically, if you had an Offensive Strike that did 1.5D6K total with STR, Weapon, and Maneuver all added together, then that would be a 5DC attack. That is basically equivalent to 25 points, so you would buy the naked advantage on the 25 points. For a +1/4 Advantage, that would then cost 6 points. Then you could apply any limitations you wanted.

Here's my current thinking; I'll also point out where I think it's lacking...

Assumptions:

* Heroic campaign

* Epee: 1d6 HKA, STR Min 10

* Character has STR 10

* Fencing Slash: +0 OCV, +2 DCV, +2DC Strike (note that +2DC with a Killing Attack weapon gives +1DC)

So what is wanted is a 3-shot Autofire attack with an epee that does 1d6+1 with a base damage of 1d6.

Fifth Edition

Flashing Blade 1d6+1 HKA (20); AF3 (+1/4) (25); OAF epee (-1), No STR Bonus (-1/2) (10) PLUS 2 5-point CSLs (10); OAF epee (-1) (5); total cost 15; END 2 per shot (no END for STR use)

Ultimate Martial Artist

1d6+1 = 20 base points

+2 DCV = 10 base points

total base points = 20+10 = 30

+1/4 Advantage on 30 points = 7

total cost 7; END 1 per shot plus 1 for 10 STR use

LACKING: The epee is a 1d6 HKA weapon and therefore can't do more than 2d6 HKA with all damage bonuses (from CSLs, velocity, Manuevers). Both examples above are 1d6+1 base damage and could go to 2-1/2d6. My best thought so far is to apply a Limitation on one of the DCs "Doesn't count as base damage" (-1/4???), but that feels clunky. There must be a better way! :D