Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

Re: Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

The moment anything is labeled geeky I instantly love it. I find it saves time. :sneaky:

The biggest blow to my geek cred I can think of is that I've never watched a whole episode of The Big Bang Theory, which is supposedly a love letter to geek chic. I do own the movie Free Enterprise, which is virtually the same thing.

Didn't hate Twilght - except for the idea of sparkly vampires.

Not only is your geek cred gone, but you need to get off OUR boards...:ugly:

Just kidding, but... really?

*shrug* I didn't hate Twilight either. Honestly, once you get through one particular stretch of about 50 pages or so in the first book (which basically consists of Bella mooning over how perfect Edward is), the rest of the series is fairly decent urban fantasy-ish fare (though obviously with an angsty and romantic undercurrent). Nothing great or inspiring, and certainly not deserving (IMO) of the level of popularity it has. But readable.

The movies, on the other hand, have pretty much sucked (especially the first one...)

The moment anything is labeled geeky I instantly love it. I find it saves time. :sneaky:

The biggest blow to my geek cred I can think of is that I've never watched a whole episode of The Big Bang Theory, which is supposedly a love letter to geek chic. I do own the movie Free Enterprise, which is virtually the same thing.

Big Bang Theory is really funny. I have just started watching it this year, and I have to say I have laughed as hard with it as I have with anything. Sheldon Cooper is a fantastic character.

Okay, here's where I revoke my geek cred....

I didn't hate the Matrix sequels. Seriously, I think they weren't all that bad, except for...

...Trinity's death scene. That one gets a "five" on my Jager shot scale; meaning that's how many shots of Jager I have to get down before I can sit through it without groaning in agony.

Aside from that bit, I was okay with it. And all that Juno Reactor music on the soundtrack did NOT hurt one bit, either. :rockon:

Most of mine have already been touched on by others. But I do have one nobody else has given. I found the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie to be better than the comic. Much more entertaining.

I'll second that.

I hate the writer. He's only done 1 halfway decent comic.

The spakly vampires didn't bother me at all.

In Dracula vampires were supernaturally evil.

In Salem's lot they were evil, but it wasn't the holy symbols it was the faith in them

Anne Rice killed any relation to God at all.

I saw Sparkly as just the next step. :)

Actually as a champions player I sort of liked it - it was like "What are the classic vampire schticks - strong, fast, durable, cold the the touch, cannot go out in the sun (or at least don't like to - Dracula did)... what could explain that- having a body made of gemstones would do - which means the sun thing is the masqurade - it's their secret.

I like the resoning from effect - Vampire power - and coming up with a single SFX that tied it together. :)

The spakly vampires didn't bother me at all.

In Dracula vampires were supernaturally evil.

In Salem's lot they were evil, but it wasn't the holy symbols it was the faith in them

Anne Rice killed any relation to God at all.

I saw Sparkly as just the next step. :)

Actually as a champions player I sort of liked it - it was like "What are the classic vampire schticks - strong, fast, durable, cold the the touch, cannot go out in the sun (or at least don't like to - Dracula did)... what could explain that- having a body made of gemstones would do - which means the sun thing is the masqurade - it's their secret.

I like the resoning from effect - Vampire power - and coming up with a single SFX that tied it together. :)

Check out this link : http://scienceinmyfiction.com/2010/07/26/i-know-why-the-vampire-sparkles/

*shrug* I didn't hate Twilight either. Honestly, once you get through one particular stretch of about 50 pages or so in the first book (which basically consists of Bella mooning over how perfect Edward is), the rest of the series is fairly decent urban fantasy-ish fare (though obviously with an angsty and romantic undercurrent). Nothing great or inspiring, and certainly not deserving (IMO) of the level of popularity it has. But readable.

The movies, on the other hand, have pretty much sucked (especially the first one...)

I like Twilight too, but I consider Eclipse to be the worst so far of the 4 movies released.

I'm actually planning on playing a Twilight/3rd Ed White Wolf Vampire in a friends Cosmic Level Supers game: Twilight Vampire Physically/OWoD Vampire Disciplines.

TB

Now, as to destroying my own geek cred. I've seen at least one episode of most of the 'geeky' shows of the past ten years. Hated them all (Big Bang Theory, The Guild, Chuck, The IT Crowd, BSG, Dollhouse, etc...). Oh, and I've never succeeded in paying attention to even the pilot episode of Lost. Dull as dishwater. I don't get the appeal of anime or manga at all. CCG's just irritate me. And I really wish the open-source community could find a role-model other than the Vegans or Jehovah's Witnesses.

And I think Hero could be improved in some ways .

I have no interest in watching Fight Club.

I didn't realize that this one would get you geek cred, but either way, you are dead to me now, Hermit. I love that movie! It was also what started me on my Ed Norton passion!

While I've seen many examples of utterly lovely women of East Asian descent, in general I just do NOT understand what all the fuss is about. For that matter, most Asian cultures are mild curiousities to me at most. I'm not even into manga/anime. More power to you that feel differently, but that's one area where I'm lacking as a geek I guess.

Okay, I admit it, I have a thing for Asian (specifically Japanese) women. But I've never understood the "all or nothing" mentality of some people. Why give up a chance to be with a beautiful non-asian girl just because she is non-asian?

As to anime and manga, I'm meh about them. This one gets me into some issues with the Japan-o-philes. As much interest as I have in Japan, I've never understood the otaku mentality of some.

---

As to my own personal list of geek-cred killing things, it is nigh endless. Indeed, I decided to buy my geek cred as:

Geek Cred : +4 with CuK: Geek (4 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1), OIF (Interwebs (wiki); -1/2)

But I have never been to a Con of any kind (have wanted to but either have no time or money). I'm not big into reading fiction (minus Horror). I did enjoy the twilight movies (haven't seen the most recent). Have absolutely NO desire to join a LARP. Have owned percisely one comic (friend gave it to me since it was about Nightcrawler) - although I use to read them infrequently. And many many more things. :)

La Rose.

I have a thing for Taylor Swift. Don't tell my Iron Maiden albums.

Taylor Swift was on an episode of Crossroads with Def Leopard. The format is some country singer teams with some non-country singer and they sing each others' songs. I really started liking her more after that. (Actually, that goes for a lot of pop artists. Seeing them do something other than what the record company usually has them do lets you see more of their actual talent.)

As far as Tolkien goes, I agree that reading him can be tedious, but I think the worlds he created are worth the slogging.

I think Tolkien's problem is more one of being dated vs. style or ability. Dickens is a huge offender in the same way. I always have trouble getting through the middle book myself. It does tend to bog down.

I never really cared for the Dragon Riders of Pern, couldn't get into them.

Same here. Just don't like her style.

I've never read the Amber series. I keep meaning to, but something comes up.

I'm not going to tell you what to read, but... They are very quick reads, like a lot of Zelazny's stuff. Won't take much time at all. =)

I have no interest in watching Fight Club.

I think that one's too mainstream for you to worry about it impacting geek cred.

If it weren't for the rest of society moving along whether I like it or not, I would have been perfectly content with VHS tapes as opposed to the over protected over regulated and often over commercial ridden DVDs. Grog like fire, fire good for Grog's father, Fire good for Grog.

You know, high end VCRs in the 80s and 90s had a lot of features you still can't get on digital. I do loves my Blu-Ray though. =)

While at Gencon, I learned with some embarrasment that there are a LOT of sci fi writers who I have not read.

You're absolved by Sturgeon's Law on this one. You probably aren't missing much, really.

I love superheroes, but have yet to find a superhero MMORPG that really catches me....they always put in something that takes me out of the moment.

That's on the game developers, I think.

While I've seen many examples of utterly lovely women of East Asian descent, in general I just do NOT understand what all the fuss is about. For that matter, most Asian cultures are mild curiousities to me at most. I'm not even into manga/anime. More power to you that feel differently, but that's one area where I'm lacking as a geek I guess.

I like some manga. They can be fun, and tend to be more character driven (depending on genre) than Western comics. Liking Asian women is more of a horny sailor thing, though, so I don't think it impacts geek cred much.

The 'new' Battlestar Galactica was so bitterly cynical, it had me thinking Mechanon was right.

I liked the show, but not the goofy ending.

Babylon 5 WAS good, but the first season was rather drab, where as Deep Space 9 was good from start to finish IMO; accusasions of rips offs aside.

more to come later perhaps

I ended up missing a lot of the first season of B5 due to work schedule and VCR failure, and never did get around to watching it. DS9 sucked at the beginning, but got very good later IMO.

I've never really understood the HUGE fanbase response to Harry Potter or Firefly/Serenity. The special effects are great but I don't get what's original about either besides the effects. Kinda feel the same about the LTR movies. It's cool but I never really got the books either. I guess I am such a huge fan of hard sci-fi stuff that I don't like most fantasy stuff that lacks any focus on internal consistency and relies on mostly on mood. Firefly bugged me from the beginning because it was never clear on whether the ships had FTL or not or if the various planets where all in the same star system (cleared up in the RPG, but a very odd place to discover such info). My feelings about the X-Men are similar. I like some individual characters but the various series never clicked for me (I liked the original run of Excalibur with Neary/Davis art being the biggest draw). I've never really been a big fan of the vampire movie genre. There are a couple of ones that were ok the 1st watch but they aren't worth a re-watch. I like all the Star Wars movies but episodes IV and V are my favorites. If anything my biggest loss of geek cred is that I don't see a defining line between geek & non-geek. I like watching college sports (football & basketball). I love HERO but I am not so addicted to RPG's in general that I have to game. I would enjoy hanging with friends who like comics and playing HERO in that order. If the latter 2 don't happen I can forgo gaming. I don't get the big appeal of gaming consoles. I enjoyed arcade games back in the day but I don't get the constant drive some folks have to stay current with their gaming tech when it seems so dead end compared to the shared experience of F2face gaming w/rpg or boardgames. I am a hermit (even among geeks) with this board being my biggest social outlet of late. So I might be a geek but I'm either the most common or most odd, I'm not sure which.

HM

:D

Let's see...

I've never read the LOTR books or the Harry Potter books(but have seen all the movies)

Hated the Battlestar Galactica reboot(how ridiculously depressing can one show get?)

Never watched Stargate, Fringe, or Eureka. I don't even have a clue what Fringe is supposed to be about.

MMOs bore me to tears...haven't played one I actually like.

Phantom Menace is actually my favorite of the prequels.

I actually liked ST:Voyager

I found The Dresden Files horrible. I particularly took exception to the fact that the author made magic not get along with technology. I found that to be an exceedingly lazy way of making the main character’s life difficult.

He makes the main character's life difficult in so many ways it'll make your head spin. He doesn't need the magic and technology thing to do that in the least, as Dresden manages to get himself into multiple life and death fixes in every book due to his own personality quirks, whether stubbornness, pride, contrariness, or nobility. The magic vs technology thing is just setting fluff.

He makes the main character's life difficult in so many ways it'll make your head spin. He doesn't need the magic and technology thing to do that in the least' date=' as Dresden manages to get himself into multiple life and death fixes in every book due to his own personality quirks, whether stubbornness, pride, contrariness, or nobility. The magic vs technology thing is just setting fluff.[/quote']Actually, the level of utterly unremitting "things are constantly getting worse" that Harry's always going through is one of the few things I don't care for in the Dresden Files books. It may seem odd to say this about fantasy novels where magic is real, but it kind of strains my suspension of disbelief a little bit. I mean, no one has that many things all go wrong at once, and all go wrong in the most damaging way possible all the time. If you built him in Hero, you'd have to give him like 10d6 of Unluck... :winkgrin:

Actually' date=' the level of utterly unremitting "things are constantly getting worse" that Harry's always going through is one of the few things I don't care for in the Dresden Files books. It may seem odd to say this about fantasy novels where magic is real, but it kind of strains my suspension of disbelief a little bit. I mean, [b']no one[/b] has that many things all go wrong at once, and all go wrong in the most damaging way possible all the time. If you built him in Hero, you'd have to give him like 10d6 of Unluck... :winkgrin:

Or Dresden's player is the GM's ex.

Actually' date=' the level of utterly unremitting "things are constantly getting worse" that Harry's always going through is one of the few things I don't care for in the Dresden Files books. It may seem odd to say this about fantasy novels where magic is real, but it kind of strains my suspension of disbelief a little bit. I mean, [b']no one[/b] has that many things all go wrong at once, and all go wrong in the most damaging way possible all the time. If you built him in Hero, you'd have to give him like 10d6 of Unluck... :winkgrin:

If I wasn't me, I'd agree with you. =)

Fair point, though. It does make for a pretty solid pace, though.