Is there any way the HERO can do this power?

Yamo

This one is just breaking my brain trying to write it up in HERO terms.

It's from an online PDF game called Console that I stumbled across. The game as a whole reads like a semi-serious attempt to do a tabletop version of Final Fantasy. Anyway, I stumbled across this power for the Time Mage class:

"Duplicate - You can force a particular event to happen again. For instance, if the Fighter just hit a nearly untouchable foe, you could use your action to cause that to happen a second time. You can't use this ability more than once in a row."

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Can it be done?

Extra Dimensional Travel, with the time travel option, only for replaying recent event.

But I don't understand:

Bob hits Al.

Phil uses his time travel to go back in time to the instant Bob hit Al.

How does this equate to Al having been wounded twice-over when Phil once again reaches the instant he first used the time travel? Wouldn't this accomplish nothing except allowing Phil to witness the initial wounding twice?

Try a Variable Power Pool to simulate the event. Then buy a bunch of levels to "guarantee" that the VPP always hits.

The maximum effect will naturally be limited to the size of the VPP. If Doctor Destroyer just blasted someone with a 30d6 blast, and you want to duplicate that, you're going to need a mighty VPP.

Event Duplication VPP (Mimicry Pool)

60 base.

36 control cost

96 real points. 150 active points.

No Skill Roll Required (+1)

Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1)

VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (-1/2)

Character Has No Choice Regarding How Powers Change (-1/2)

Can Use the Duplicated Power Only Once (-1/2)

Originally posted by Yamo

But I don't understand:

Bob hits Al.

Phil uses his time travel to go back in time to the instant Bob hit Al.

How does this equate to Al having been wounded twice-over when Phil once again reaches the instant he first used the time travel? Wouldn't this accomplish nothing except allowing Phil to witness the initial wounding twice?

Yamo, very good observation. Ideas like that help to keep Extradimensional Movement from becoming abusive.

My guideline for creating Hero powers is to focus on the end-results, not the special effects. That's why I suggest Variable Power Pool for your event-duplication power; VPP can create any end-result desired.

Re: Is there any way the HERO can do this power?

It's from an online PDF game called Console that I stumbled across. The game as a whole reads like a semi-serious attempt to do a tabletop version of Final Fantasy. Anyway, I stumbled across this power for the Time Mage class:

"Duplicate - You can force a particular event to happen again. For instance, if the Fighter just hit a nearly untouchable foe, you could use your action to cause that to happen a second time. You can't use this ability more than once in a row."

Can it be done?

Ye Olde copout answer.

30d6 area effect hex transform, target into target with same damage as previous phase. Untransform is healing/recovering the damage normally

Can it be done?

Well if you are talking about a spel that just lets you hit something a second time, than that could be represented with levels.

Ex.

+10 with All Combat, Usable By Other (+1/4) (100 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charges (-1 1/4), Only usable with last attack (Power loses about half of its effectiveness; -1), Activation Roll/Spell Roll 14- (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Requires both hands (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Or you could try this:

Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension; Travel Through Time, x8 Increased Weight), Usable As Attack (+1) (110 Active Points); Limited Power (Only to send single creature back to previous phase; -2), 1 Recoverable Charges (-1 1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase; -1/2), Character May Take No Other Actions (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Costs END Every Phase; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)

This is just a couple of ways of doing it. I'm sure there are other people out there who can give you better insite.

Re: Re: Is there any way the HERO can do this power?

Originally posted by Chaosliege

Well if you are talking about a spel that just lets you hit something a second time, than that could be represented with levels.

I think it lets you duplicate the result of virtually any ally's attack, but doesn't require a roll to hit. It also doesn't require any preparation, spell components, charges, extra END, etc.

Ex.: Joe finally gets his Wave Motion Cannon Strike charged up, makes the 8- Activation Roll, and luckily hits the enemy even though he's dodged every other attack so far. And he gets maximum damage! You won't see rolls like that again soon! But now Joe is out of Charges and END and almost out of STUN.

Jim Bob duplicates the effect exactly and nails the villain again automatically. But he doesn't need any prep or take any side effects.

Re: Re: Re: Is there any way the HERO can do this power?

Originally posted by Fuzzy Gnome

I think it lets you duplicate the result of virtually any ally's attack, but doesn't require a roll to hit. It also doesn't require any preparation, spell components, charges, extra END, etc.

Ex.: Joe finally gets his Wave Motion Cannon Strike charged up, makes the 8- Activation Roll, and luckily hits the enemy even though he's dodged every other attack so far. And he gets maximum damage! You won't see rolls like that again soon! But now Joe is out of Charges and END and almost out of STUN.

Jim Bob duplicates the effect exactly and nails the villain again automatically. But he doesn't need any prep or take any side effects.

In that case I agree with the others.. You are looking at a HUGE mimic pool.. This is for a cosmic game right?

Yamo, I think you enjoy challenging us.;)

This idea would require a bit of GM leniency, but having checked the FAQ on it, I think it might be allowable as long as the range of attack events isn't too broad, e.g. attacks with standard weapons:

Buy a Naked Advantage, Two-shot Autofire, large enough to cover the AP of the attacks you think it would apply to. Make it Usable on Others. Cross-Link it with EDM Movement to a previous moment as Geoff Speare suggested. So, you go back to the moment of the successful attack, and give your ally the ability to use that attack twice.

This may need some fine-tuning, so I toss it out to see how everyone thinks it floats.

I think our local Lord is on to something here. It's very GM permission, but you could EDM back to the previous phase, smack your ally with a usable as attack at range naked advantage (2 shot autofire) MPAed with a +2 OCV (so that the second autofire shot always hits). Of course, this doesn't work very well on duplicating AF attacks. Hmm...

Michael

Keep in mind from the description of the power, that "You can force a particular event to happen again." (Emphasis mine.) It's not limited to Attack powers only. Your ally does a Full Move but is still in radius of the AE Dragon's Breath, you can use this to give them a second phase of movement for free. This is an extraordinarily powerful ability, ideal for a console computer game where you're limited to a set of pre-defined moves, but not very well adjusted for a tabletop RPG where anything is possible...

That said, I'd do it as a VPP to cover all the bases...

Can it be done?

Short Answer: No.

The Hero system does not have any mechanism for automatic successes. I prefer it that way, others do not.

If you are not concerned with an automatic success, my advice would be something like this: Summon (Ally from previous phase ), fanatically loyal, Summoned can only perform act from previous phase, invisible power effect, extra time (full phase plus a segment).

Can it be done?

I think more info would help (before I say I don't have a clue...haha).

For instance, using the example given above, is this the sequence of events?

1. Fighter swings at nigh untouchable foe and hits.

2. Time Mage "casts" Duplicate.

THEN EITHER

3. The Fighter gets to go again, outside of the normal turn sequence, and on this additional/free/extra action, he must perform the same action as in Step 1, and he automatically succeeds with the same level of success as previously.

OR

3. On the Fighter's action, within the normal turn sequence and if the Fighter chooses to perform the same action as he did in Step 1, he automatically succeeds with the same level of success as previously.

OR

3. On the Fighter's action, within the normal turn sequence, he must perform the same action as in Step 1, and he automatically succeeds with the same level of success as previously.

Other questions...

Is there a time limit, meaning could the action being duplicated have happened many, many game sessions ago; or is it strictly the character's action immediately proceeding the casting of Duplicate?

Can the Time Mage cast Duplicate on himself?