3,000-year-old ‘Frankenstein’ mummies discovered in Scotland

Guest Celt

3,000-year-old ‘Frankenstein’ mummies discovered in Scotland

Researchers say that a pair of 3,000-year-old mummified corpses that were recently discovered in Scotland are actually composed of body parts originating from six different people.

The mummified corpses were discovered in Cladh Hallan, an archaeological site on the island of South Uist in the Outer Hebrides in Scotland. It is the only location in Great Britain where prehistoric mummies have been discovered.

National Geographic reports that isotopic dating and DNA experiments revealed the unusual pairing of body parts. The tests also revealed that the body parts were assembled and buried together more than 600 years after death, meaning that the assemblage was almost certainly deliberate.

However, it remains unclear exactly why the Frankenstein-like pieces were put together. The merging of mummies and Frankenstein sounds like something out of an unproduced 1930s Universal horror film. But lead researcher and University of Manchester professor Terry Brown says the answer could be simple and somewhat morbid: The original body parts may have simply been plugged in as a convenience to replace missing pieces.

"Maybe the head dropped off and they got another head to stick on," he said.

FrankensteinMummy2.jpg

Re: 3,000-year-old ‘Frankenstein’ mummies discovered in Scotland

However, it remains unclear exactly why the Frankenstein-like pieces were put together. The merging of mummies and Frankenstein sounds like something out of an unproduced 1930s Universal horror film. But lead researcher and University of Manchester professor Terry Brown says the answer could be simple and somewhat morbid: The original body parts may have simply been plugged in as a convenience to replace missing pieces.

"Maybe the head dropped off and they got another head to stick on," he said.

See, it's not enough to simply choose a necromancer who offers an impressive showroom model--you also need a quality service plan that isn't going to stick you with cheap third-party replacement parts.

Re: 3,000-year-old ‘Frankenstein’ mummies discovered in Scotland

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [to Igor] Now that brain that you gave me. Was it Hans Delbruck's?

Igor: [pause, then] No.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Ah! Very good. Would you mind telling me whose brain I DID put in?

Igor: Then you won't be angry?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: I will NOT be angry.

Igor: Abby someone.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby someone. Abby who?

Igor: Abby... Normal.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby Normal?

Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [chuckles, then] Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

[grabs Igor and starts throttling him]