[New Product] Champions Complete

Jason S.Walters

The ultimate super roleplaying game returns to reclaim its crown in *Champions Complete!* All the legendary flexibility and power of the renowned *HERO System* rules engine, plus all the superhero goodness *Champions* has been famous for over 30 years, now in one pulse-pounding, senses -shattering, heroic handbook of superpowered action!

At 240 pages, *Champions Complete* includes everything superhero gamers need, and nothing they don't. New players will love the unmatched freedom of *Champions* that allows them to create and play exactly the hero they imagine. Longtime fans will appreciate the tight, concise new approach, presenting the full game system in a fraction of its former length.

HERO System 6th Edition

978-1-58366-145-1

HERO2000

Author: Derek Hiemforth

Cover: Sam R. Kennedy

Layout: Ruben Smith Zempel

PDF: $20.00

Print: $40.00

Print+PDF: $40.00

240pp B&W interior with color softcover.

PDF will be made available with every retail purchase via Bits and Mortar

Look for Champions Complete in Fall of 2012!

Re: [New Product] Champions Complete

I am so looking forward to seeing how this will turn out. Derek's no slouch in the Hero community, so I'm expecting to be pleasantly surprised.

Sketch did pose a question on FB that I'm curious about as well. Will this be purely crunchy bits or will there be chewy bits thrown in? Sketch's question was specifically about whether a new in-house setting was in the works or not.

I also had a question of my own. Are third-party writers encouraged to refer their readers to this product?

This is the best birthday news ever! OK, my birthday is still more than a week away, and the book is coming out fall-ish, but I am stoked.

In fact, the only thing better would be "Champions of the Rising Sun" being writen as I speek.

Okay' date=' everybody who's been saying this is the kind of product they and their game groups have been wanting for years... time to pony up![/quote']

I haven't been saying that. Does that mean I'm not allowed to buy it? Because I was totally thinking it, and that's got to count!

No? But I want it I want it I want it I want it!

And now ladies and gentlemen, to the best of my ability Q and A!

Q:Will this be purely crunchy bits or will there be chewy bits thrown in?

A: Champions Complete is mostly crunch with some chew; 80/20 sounds about right. However, Derek's writing style is not overly technical; it's as easy to read as he could possibly make it.

Q: Is a new in-house setting was in the works or not?

A. No. We are pleased with our partnership with Cryptic Studios, and look forward to continuing to developing the Champions Universe with them.

Q: Are third-party writers encouraged to refer their readers to this product?

A: Yes! Champions Complete will be the core Hero System product for the foreseeable future, and we strongly encourage all of our 3rd publishers to promote it.

Q: Will 6E1 and 6E2 remain in print? What about the current Champions genre book? For that matter, will Basic stay in print?

A. Champions Complete is designed to replace 6E1, 6E2, Champions, and Basic in our product line. Though we will continue selling these products in digital form, through our website, and at conventions, we have no plans to reprint them at this time or to continue selling them through distribution.

Q. How does this compare to 6th ed Champions?

A. Champions Complete contains the core elements of 6th ed Champions, but doesn't focus *as much* on discussing the genre elements and techniques of successful superhero roleplaying games. Instead, it is a complete, stand-alone book for playing Champions using the 6th ed Hero System, priced at a level we hope won't provide a significant barrier to new players who want to try out Champions.

It sounds very promising, and looks to address several issues mentioned on the board, at least.

Speaking selfishly, if it does well, it could help spark interest in plenty of other products, like the upcoming Golden Age Champions Kickstarter.

Okay' date=' everybody who's been saying this is the kind of product they and their game groups have been wanting for years... time to pony up![/quote']

I've been saying I want something like this - for fantasy.

But I am very happy to hear about this, and only wish it were coming out for GenCon.

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary and I won't be at GenCon but we hear there will be a few gamers there

What does that mean for other genres that Hero might or might not decide to do?

If there is a solid response to this product we will consider others. Super heroes and fantasy have always been the two genres that have sold best for the Hero System, that that is probably where we focus our efforts for the moment. But we aren't ruling out other genres.

Guest dan2448

This is interesting news. I thought kickstarter was being used to fund new books though.

It sounds like the return of the 4th edition Champions BBB, updated to 6E.

Speaking as someone who learned to play Champions as a teenager with 2e (88 pages), and who played 3e (140 pages) most extensively, while also subsequently buying 4e, 5e, and 6e (mostly for the sake of sentiment, mixed with a little curiosity), I personally think that a complete, 240 page Champions game book is the absolute best product Hero Games (DoJ) could publish now.

I already own both 6e core rulebooks, as well as the "Champions" genre book for 6e (and the Villains books), and the 6e Basic Rulebook, but I'll buy this new book as well, almost entirely as an indicator of approval and support.

I supported the Kickstarter for " Champions Villains v3." But I personally think that having the company publish this new book on its own sends a much better signal to the market than would doing a Kickstarter for it.