They made a Solomon Kane movie

IndianaJoe3

Re: They made a Solomon Kane movie

I though it was wretched - but then I was a fan of the hellfire and damnation original Solomon Kane not the weepy emo pacifist from the movie.

Also - io9 said "If you're hankering for a supernatural period piece guest-starring Max von Sydow that sways between affably ridiculous and "I can vacuum my house to this," look no further than Solomon Kane" which I wouldn't take as a ringing endorsement.

The good thing about the Solomon Kane movie is that I picked it up in the bargain bin for 4 bucks, so I don't feel that I overpaid by too much. If you feel like watching it, I'd recommend you do the same.

cheers, Mark

The movie is quite lame - not as lame as the last Conan was, but still quite not up to what Howard was thinking about when he weaved his magnificent tales about the moody Puritan. The whole "you sinned, now get it right" is totally agiant puritan thought by the way - you are saved by the Grace of God, not good deeds and your fate is already decided when you are born! You can only try to follow God's law but if you predestined to go to hell, you are the Devil's and nothing can chnage that.

You can find this in Howard's story's (at least it's not contradicted Kane's atitude to be God's instrument on Earth) whereas the Movie Kane is more like a good Catholic trying to redeem himself.

But even if you don't give a hoot about all this you get only a mediocre movie at best.

Guest steamteck

I thought the last Conan was pretty good. I guess I bring away different things from both the books and movies. Saying it was better than thelast Conan movie would intrigue me if our opinions weren't quite so divergent.

Well, I found the last Conan rather tasteless: The birth on the battleground was rather stupid, the whole "we need to find the pieces of a super-powerful ancient relict that you are cleverly hiding under the wooden planks of your flooor" was less than ininspiring and Conan's character wasn't well grasped in my opinion: Why exactly did he free the slaves? Because he is "Conan Hood" or "Spartacus the Barbarian"?

And don't get me started about the ship ...

Schwarzenegger WAS Conan, even though the story wasn't canon. But the movies BREATHED Howard (and The Destroyer was tongue-in-cheek amusing). The alst Conan had one really well made Hyborian scene - the tavern. That really was something. But when they found it they cast it away again.

I think that Solomon Kane is better than the last Conan movie - by some inches. Get a cheap copy, have some beer with friends and you can have an enjoyable evening.

I think Momoa made a much better Conan than Schwarzenegger did. But Schwarzenegger's movie was much better written. (The first one, I mean.) Momoa's had huge plot holes and extremely vague character motivations, and worse, completely failed to be set in the Hyborian Age.