Russian Nazca-like Space Elk discovered

Guest Celt

Mysterious Elk-Shaped Structure Discovered in Russia

3-Russia-geoglyph.jpg1349987078

A huge geoglyph in the shape of an elk or deer discovered in Russia may predate Peru's famous Nazca Lines by thousands of years.

The animal-shaped stone structure, located near Lake Zjuratkul in the Ural Mountains, north of Kazakhstan, has an elongated muzzle, four legs and two antlers. A historical Google Earth satellite image from 2007 shows what may be a tail, but this is less clear in more recent imagery.

Excluding the possible tail, the animal stretches for about 900 feet (275 meters) at its farthest points (northwest to southeast), the researchers estimate, equivalent to two American football fields. The figure faces north and would have been visible from a nearby ridge.

It looks more like a hill figure like can be seen in England, but I suppose Nazca has a catchier feel.

Re: Russian Nazca-like Space Elk discovered

I can see the elk there -- allowing for the fact that the primitive creators couldn't exactly see what they were doing. Four legs, a snout, some "horns." Close enough for gub'mint work. ;)

Thanx for posting! I hadn't heard about this. Definitely some adventure fodder here.

Re: Russian Nazca-like Space Elk discovered

I really have my doubts about anything new like this being discovered in Russia after the Cold War. There must have been thousands of satellites combing the Russian landscape and it is only discovered now. Makes me wonder.