Snippets

Greywind

Jason just stared at the girl laying in the bed. Marlene looked up at him for a moment before she turned her attention back to the security chief. “No. Thanks, though.” She, too, turned to the prone girl as Knight walked away. They stood silently for a few moments before Marlene tugged on his hand. “Come on. Let's go meet the family.” They turned back the way they had come. When they were out of earshot of the officer, she said quietly, “You want to do that thing where you heal, don't you?” Jason gave her a sad look and nodded. “You can't. Not like this.”

“I know,” he said and checked his watch.

In the waiting room a man with a military haircut sat with his arm around a small, dark haired woman. A little girl knelt at a table, coloring a picture in a coloring book. The girl reminded Marlene of Jessica. Trese sat watching the girl color. When Marlene and Jason came in, she looked up with a smile.

“Marlene, Jason, this is Jacob Randall, Jessica's brother,” Trese said out of politeness, knowing that they both realized his relationship with their reason for being here. “And his wife, Sally,” she continued. “And this,” she put her hand on the little girl's back, “is Samantha.”

Jake stood and held out his hand. “It's just 'Jake',” he said.

Marlene took his hand. “I'm sorry we had to meet under such unfortunate circumstances, Mr. Randall.” Jason shook his hand in turn.

“She wrote saying how much she liked working for you. How could something like this happen?”

“I don't know, but I promise you that the persons responsible will be found and dealt with,” Jason told him. Jason looked down when Samantha tugged on his pant leg.

She looked up at him with questioning eyes. “Is my Aunt Jessie going to be okay? They won't let me see her. She said she had a surprise for me.”

Jason knelt down. “I'm sure that she is going to be just fine, Samantha. I know what the surprise is. She was excited about seeing you.”

“Will you tell me?”

He smiled at her. “I don't think Jessica would like that, Samantha. It's her surprise for you.”

Samantha thought for a moment and then nodded in agreement. “It's okay. I just wish I could talk to her.”

“Well...” Jason was interrupted by his phone chirping the arrival of a text. He pulled it out and read the message quickly before slipping it back into his pocket. “I'll tell you what, I promise you that you'll see Jessica later today and she'll be perfectly fine and happy to see you.” Samantha threw herself at Jason, wrapping he arms around his neck. It took a few moments before Jason wrapped his own arms around the girl.

Jake and Sally passed a concerned look between themselves. “I don't think you should be making a promise like that,” Jake said.

“Mr. Randall,” Beth said, “I have been working for Mr. Scott for a long time. He will not make a promise that won't be kept.”

“Jason, I was thinking. Instead of a motel, why don't we let them stay in the guest house?” Trese asked.

“I think that's a wonderful idea,” Marlene said. “Jessica will be staying in her room, since her apartment will be off-limits with the police investigation going on. Trese, why don't you make the arrangements?”

Trese shot an annoyed look at Marlene before smiling. “I guess I walked into that one,” she said, pulling out her own phone.

Stepping into what had been his father's home office, Jason quietly closed the door against the laughter of Jessica and her family. “Connect to the tower.” He slipped around the desk and lowered himself into the waiting chair.

“Connecting,” Mentor said.

Jason rubbed at his forehead, lost in thought for a moment. “Pull the security files on Jessica's assault and prepare to transfer them to the tower. Flag the files so that Knight knows I have a copy.”

“Guardian Tower. Nightwing speaking.”

“Secure the line,” Jason ordered.

“The line is secure,” Mentor responded.

“Jason? What's up?”

“Where's Callahan?” Jason's fingers loosened the knot of his tie. “Screw it,” he said quietly, disappearing the tie before reappearing it and tossing it on the desk.

Callahan? He's out on a hunting trip.”

Transfer the file. Michaels, I'm sending you a file. Track the archer down and get him to look over that file.” Jason unbuttoned the collar of his shirt.

He isn't going to like that. You know how he gets when he's hunting.”

Michaels, right now, I don't care. This is a personal matter and he needs to start being a team player. I need to pick his brain and his expertise. You track him down. You get him to look over that file. And you get him in touch with me after he's done.” Jason's tone was cold. “This isn't a request.”

Yeah. Sure. Not a problem. File received.”

Jason sat back in the chair. “Disconnect and put the file up on the screens.” The room went dark and one wall lit up with photographs of Jessica and the interior of her car. His eyes flicked from one picture to another, committing them all to memory.

Access Wildfire, Mentor. Search for any and all whose preference is archery. Even if it is secondary. Get me a list.”

Yes, Jason.”

• 2 weeks later...

Jason closed the door behind Michael after making sure the man made it safely into his truck. They heard the engine catch and the tires crunch snow when he headed down the lane he had plowed on his way up.

Why did he say not to wander?” Theresa asked.

Leah smiled. “Lions and tigers and bears, oh, my,” she sang. Theresa gave her a funny look.

More like 'mountain lions and wolves and bears', but the idea is the same. This is a wilderness area, Theresa. In the winter food is sometimes scarce and the cats and wolves will hunt people if they're hungry enough,” Jason explained.

Oh,” she said quietly. “What happens now?”

Now?” Jason looked at her for a long moment. “Now, how about a bath? It must have been a while since you've had a real chance to clean up.”

She gave him a grateful look. “Too long.”

Leah, why don't you pull stuff out for dinner while I get her settled?”

Leah gave him an amused questioning look. “My weekend. Remember? I'm not cooking.”

Didn't say you were. I just asked that you get stuff out so I can cook.”

Well, I suppose I can do that much,” she said, turning to open the refrigerator.

Jason led Theresa down the hall to the bath room. She held her bag with both hands tight against her body. “I don't have anything to wear,” she said despondently. “Everything I have with me is dirty. Until earlier, this shirt and jeans were in the best shape. Now...”

Stopping to look at her, Jason said gently, “One thing at a time. Okay? First, we get you cleaned up so that you feel better.” He stepped into the bathroom with Theresa in tow.

That's a big tub,” she said quietly. The bathtub looked like it could accommodate five of her. Jason smiled.

Pulling towels and washcloth from a linen closet, he said, “When you're older, you might understand why.”

Looking confused for a moment, Theresa looked at him for a long moment. “Oh!” she exclaimed, blushing. She looked around for a moment. “Where's the door?”

Ah, a friend of mine got a little carried away. She didn't realize her own strength.” He went out into the hall from where Theresa heard a door open, and then a few seconds later, close. Jason reappeared with a wolf throw hanging from a rod. He set the rod into hooks above the door. “There's soap and shampoo in the cabinet there. Pick your flavor.”

Theresa opened the indicated door. “There's so many different kinds.”

Lots of female friends with different preferences,” he said by way of explanation. “Run the water to your liking. I'll see what I can find for you to wear.” He slipped from the room, allowing the curtain to fall into place.

Looking at her reflection in the mirror, Theresa said, “He's not what I expected.” She took a closer look at herself. Her hair was lank and dirty. Her face, while cleaner than it had been in the bar, was still a far cry from being fresh. Her fingers traced the cut in her shirt. Tears stung her eyes. “It's just a stupid shirt,” she said quietly. She pulled it over her head and tossed it next to her bag. Fingers wiped at her eyes.

Sitting on the edge of the tub, she said, “I like it hot. Not too hot.” She reached for spigot. Water running; tested for temperature, Theresa shucked her jeans off. Those she lay on the counter and took in the long cut in the leg. She checked her bare leg and saw a light scratch running up where the knife had passed through the denim. Seeing it and realizing it was there made it start to ache.

Jason's hand passed by the curtain and set sweat pants, shirt and socks on the counter. Theresa squeaked. “You okay?” he asked.

Giggling to relieve tension, Theresa said, “You startled me.”

I'm sorry. Set your clothes here by the door before you get in the tub. I'll collect them in a few minutes and we'll get your stuff cleaned up as best I can. Okay?”

Yeah, sure, I guess. Is it okay if I...”

Anything you like, Theresa. As long as it doesn't involve anyone breaking a law.”

Pulling the drawstring tight on the sweat pants, Theresa took in how thin she was. Too long without regular eating was better in her mind than dealing further with Burt. It didn't surprise her that he hadn't had her declared missing.

She slipped her arms into the sweat shirt. It hung low, further covering the thinness of her body. The sleeves dropped past her hands. Theresa tugged the sleeves up to her elbows where they argued with her about staying. She frowned in the mirror.

Her hair, clean after far too long, hung damp and long. Theresa pulled it from the collar of her shirt and ran a brush she had found on the counter through it. She smiled to herself. Theresa couldn't explain it and she didn't understand it, but she felt safer now than she had in a long time. “Since mom...” She frowned at the thought and set the brush back on the counter.

What if...what if he's not being helpful? What if he wants something in return? Crossing her arms, Theresa stared at her reflection. What if he wants what Burt did?

She dropped her eyes, unable to meet her own gaze. He's not like that, she argued with herself. Everything I've read about him said that he's a decent guy.

You just met him. I bet mom thought Burt was a decent guy, her reflection seemed to say to her. What about putting his hand on your leg the way he did?

He was trying to reassure me is all! She thought back at the mirror.

Sure he was. It wasn't like he couldn't have just patted it. No, he had to leave it resting there, the reflection taunted her again.

Theresa brought her eyes up to the mirror again. The look on her face was resolute. He's not going to hurt me! She flung the throw out of her way and walked quietly down the hall.

The aroma of cooking onions and garlic met her before she left the shadows of the hall. Theresa watched from a distance. From the movement and the sounds it seemed he was chopping something up. He dumped what he had into a pan causing steam to rise. She leaned against the wall, shoulder and head, and crossed her arms; watching.

He moved on to something else, slicing instead of chopping. When he was finished, he added to the pan and washed the knife. She found that peculiar; washing while doing instead of letting things pile up to be washed all at once.

Theresa lost track of how long she had been standing there. With a sigh, she walked out into the light and started taking in her surroundings. Everything seemed to be made of wood. The kitchen where Jason was, was off to one side. The appliances, while modern, tended to blend in. The dining table set for three on the other side of a service bar, was large enough to seat a small army.

A bay window caught her attention. On the padded seat, leaning against the wall, was a black acoustic guitar. Theresa seemed drawn to it. There was a splash of purple on the body. The pickguard blended in to the body. She moved closer. The splash of color was from violets painted on the surface. Her fingers reached out and stroked the strings, sending a few notes into the air.

Do you play?” Jason asked her.

Theresa turned to him and saw something, a look of hurt or something else, before he masked it. She shook her head. “My mom...she played. Is this yours? Of course it's yours. It's in your cabin and...”

Slow down, Theresa,” he said with a smile. “It's mine, but I don't play. It probably needs to be tuned. It belonged to someone that was very special to me.”

Sandy Wilson?” Jason cocked his head at her. “I read.” Theresa dropped her head. “A lot.”

It was hers. She left it there the last time she was here. She wasn't planning on it being a long time before she came back to it,” Jason explained quietly.

Theresa walked slowly towards the kitchen. “Can I ask you something?”

Jason smiled at her. “Ask.”

Why are you helping me?”

He gave her a concerned look and turned back to tend what he was cooking. “Do you feel that you are somehow not worthy of being helped?”

Do you always answer a question with a question?” she snapped back.

Jason raised an eyebrow in Theresa's direction before giving his full attention to the stove. “Not always. It's nice to know you have a few teeth.”

Dropping her chin to her chest, she said, “I'm sorry. It's been a hellacious day. I guess it's all catching up to me. Why are you helping me?”

Which reason would you accept? I've been accused of being a white knight. I help because I think it is something that my mom would do. I help to honor a promise. More importantly, I helped you because you needed it. If I hadn't helped you, I probably would have a problem looking in the mirror next time I needed a shave.”

Theresa looked at him for a long moment before a smile crept on her face. He hadn't looked at her at all during his explanation. The same feeling of relief she had felt earlier came into her again. “What are you cooking?”

He smiled without looking at her. “I've got a pot of chili going for tomorrow in the slow cooker. Chicken and Spanish rice for tonight.”

Do you need some help?” she offered.

If you're handy with a knife, Theresa, there's a couple of peppers in the fridge that you can chop up for this.”

Trese. I like to be called Trese by my friends.”

I'd like us to be friends,” he said smiling at her. “How old are you, Trese?”

His question caught her off guard. “I...I'm nineteen. Like I told the sheriff.”

Jason stopped what he was doing to stare at her. “I think Theresa, that if we're going to be friends that there's a few things we need to get straight. One: don't lie to me. It's really simple. If I ask you a question that you aren't willing to answer, say so. Don't lie.

Two: the sheriff didn't believe that you're nineteen any more than I did.”

Then why did he let me come with you?” Her eyes burned, but she refused to shed the tears.

Because he trusts me, for one thing, and he thought that you would be better off with a friend than with a State agency and juvenile detention.”

Theresa had a hard time looking him in the eye, so she looked down at her socked feet. “Sixteen.”

Jason nodded. “Are you running from or to?”

She didn't know what to do with her hands. Theresa fidgeted, shifting her weight from one foot to the other and tangling her fingers in the hem of the shirt she was wearing. “From. I...I don't want to talk about that.”

Fair enough, Trese. Peppers. You can use the knife I just rinsed off.”

• 4 weeks later...

Tara took a drag from her cigarette. She held the smoke in for a long moment, before slowly blowing it out through pursed lips. Her attention was divided. One part of it was on Michael, who was busy romping through the snow to the best of his ability along the shore of the frozen lake. The rest of her attention drifted to the lonely figure of a man.

Jason shifted from one position, flowing easily into another, doing his exercise routine. Katas, Tara reminded herself. She wondered how he made it seem so simple. She wondered about Jason. He had made no complaint about having to chop his own firewood when he had rented the cabin from her mother. To her surprise, he had even filled their bin. Tara had watched him once, when he was chopping the wood. He went at it like a man possessed.

Taking a last puff from the cigarette, Tara flicked the butt into the snow and turned back to Michael. “Michael! Get back here! It's not safe on the ice!”

I'm getting my ball!” her son called back to her while pointing further out on the frozen lake. The wind across the open ice blew the ball further and further away.

You can't get it. Get off the ice! Now!”

But Mom!” Michael stomped his braced foot in a fit of childish defiance.

Tara moved closer without going out on the ice herself. “Michael, it isn't safe. I'll get you a new ball. Come back...” There was a loud crack and her son disappeared. “...In,” she whispered. “Oh, god,” Tara said quietly as reality set in. “Michael!” she screamed. “Help! Someone help!” Oh, please,” she screamed, begging.

Jason passed her in a running dive. He plowed through the thin layer of snow and slid into the hole in the ice, disappearing into the dark water that had claimed Michael.

“Oh, look. It's a Rainbow,” Ash quipped.

“The name's Brawl now,” her opponent snarled.

“Really? What happened? Did the LGBT community refuse to let you be their poster boy?”

Taking a swing at Ash, Brawl growled, “I'm not gay!”

“Maybe not, but that costume you used to wear sure was,” Ash responded, dodging the blow.

Well over an hour had passed when Marlene opened the door. “There you are. I've been looking all over for you.” She closed the door quietly behind her.

Jason's attention never wavered from the pictures. “You could have just asked Mentor.”

Where's the fun in that if you want to play hide and seek?” Her eyes darted to the pictures. “Is this what you've been doing? Thinking? Brooding? Trying to figure out what happened? Turn it off, Mentor.” The wall screen went dark. Marlene crossed the room carefully in the dimness that remained.

She leaned back against the desk, her hands gripping the edge on either side of her. “What are you thinking?”

Reaffirmation Day.”

What about it?” Marlene asked with some concern.

Jason leaned back in the chair and sighed. “Before your meeting, I had another meeting. Kris and Stinger.”

He's the one that kind of looks like a giant hornet?”

Jason nodded. “He wanted to talk. First to me and then with Angelique. He told me that Artie had a game in motion.”

Marlene hiked her skirt up a bit and sat up on the desktop, kicking her shoes off and crossing her ankles. “What does that mean?”

Darque has a habit of playing a game of chess with someone.”

Marlene ran her fingers through her hair. “That Arkayne person?”

I assume so, based on what Adalene said. They choose people for pieces. From what Stinger said, Artie has been learning from Anton.” Marlene wanted to ask a question, but bit it back, letting Jason tell her in his own way, realizing at the same time that he was working through the puzzle. Looking for a pattern, the way Adalene had described Jason after Reaffirmation Day. “You have fifteen men on the field.

Mentor, put up a chess board on the wall.” The wall screen lit up, displaying the board. “Now, put me in as the white king.” A star burst appeared in the designated square. “Put Artie in as the black king.” “Artie Stephen Rocco-Bauer” appeared in the square of the black king. “Without your sense of humor, Mentor.”

My apologies.” The name was deleted and left with a simple “Artie”.

Jason brought his hand up in a closed fist and rested his chin on it. “Now, the question becomes, who does Artie have as his pawns, rooks, knights, bishops and queen? The game that he's playing is blind. He is also choosing who my pieces are.”

How can you be sure?”

There was a crimson flash in Jason's closed fist and then he held it out to Marlene. She lifted hers to take what Jason offered. He dropped a crystal pawn into her palm. It was severed in two. “I found that on her table when I went in to heal her.”

Marlene gave him a concerned look. “That's evidence. If Detective Harris finds out you have this...”

“He won't. He had officers on her door constantly. How did it get in there?”

“A nurse or orderly?”

Jason shook his head. “Warp. He teleported it in and left it for me to find.”

“How can you be sure?”

“Because, for one, I saw it appear.” Jason stared at Marlene for a long moment.

“And?”

Jason pursed his lips. He was caught between wanting to protect Marlene and keeping her in the dark about how his life sometimes was and a day-old promise not to keep things from her. The promise won out. With another crimson flash he appeared a cream colored envelope with a broken red wax seal and black ribbon. He handed it to Marlene.

She gave Jason a questioning look. Marlene lifted the flap and slid out a single announcement card. It said, in an elegant script, simply, “When two objects collide, there is always damage of a collateral nature.” Marlene read it again. Her brow furled.

“So, Artie is a fan of A Game of Shadows.”

“You've seen it?”

Marlene nodded. “Beth and I went. Holmes went to Moriarty to ask that Watson and his wife not be used against him. Moriarty told him, 'In answer to your previous request regarding Dr. Watson not being involved, the answer is "no": the laws of celestial mechanics dictate that when two objects collide, there is always damage of a collateral nature.' Then he went on to explain how Irene Adler died.” Jason gave her a questioning look and Marlene laughed. Her laughter brought a smile to his face. “What?” Marlene asked. “You and Warren aren't the only ones that can throw movie quotes around.”

Marlene dropped her chin and cocked her head to the side. She raised an eyebrow at Jason. “Can I ask you something?” Jason nodded. “This Darque, you kept bouncing back and forth. You use his first name then you use his last name. Why?”

Jason rocked back in his chair, putting his head against the rest. He thought for a moment, trying to figure out the best way to answer. “I...” he began. “I respect him. As an adversary and as a man. Dating Angelique required that I sometimes interact with him. Part of me wants to like him.”

“But?”

“I use his last name to remind myself of what he is.”

“What about Artie? You don't respect him?”

Rubbing his chin, Jason said, “No. I've never respected Artie. Especially not since that night at the Stevens' party.”

Lifting her legs and resting her feet in Jason's lap, Marlene ran a hand down her leg to her ankle. “Isn't that part of how you got so messed up?”

Jason gave her a humorless smile and shook his head. “I underestimated him. That has nothing to do with respect. Artie has power. It was given to him. He didn't earn it. I can't say he really suffered for it.” He absentmindedly caressed Marlene's foot until his fingers touched hers and she laid her fingers over his. “In that, I don't think he has any respect for it. It's just another way for him to cause damage.”

“Well, I think...”

“Pardon the intrusion, sir. There is a call for you,” Mentor said. Marlene sighed.

“Put it through,” Jason told the AI. The wall screen flickered to life again. This time with an image of Ash. “Ash? What's going on?”

“Well, Jason, I though you should know.” Ash turned her camera to Warren and Kate's second story window. Warren, right hand in a cast, was directing Leah and Dani in replacing the window frame.

Jason rocked the chair forward. “What happened?”

Ash flipped the camera back to her. “We had unexpected company. One of those mechanized assassins, Warren's 'killbot', showed up.” Jason's mouth drew tight.

“Is everyone okay?” Marlene asked.

“Yeah,” Ash said smiling. “Except for Warren's hand. He broke it disabling the bot. Jason, the first shot that it took, it was targeting Kate. The shot went through the window and took out that antique mirror of her grandmother's. At the distance, I assume it had to rely strictly on its visual sensors and none of the fancy targeting. Or it would have realized that it was aiming at a reflection.”

“Is there any other damage?” Jason asked.

Ash quirked a smile at the camera. “Just my shirt. It fired one of those freezer rounds. I figured hitting me with whatever it had fired was better than it hitting Warren's house. The girls are getting frustrated with him. He's pretty frustrated that he can't fix it himself.”

Jason hung his head in thought. “Was there anything around after? A clue? Anything?”

“Yeah.” Jason's raised his head to look at the image of Ash. “There was an envelope addressed to Leah. Plastic film, both the envelope and the sheet inside. It read, 'My condolences on your loss.' And signed, 'Steven'.” Rocking back in the chair again and turning his head away from the screen, Jason rested his chin on a thumb and ran the side of his finger below his bottom lip. “What are you thinking?”

He turned his attention back to the screen. “Nothing else was found? Maybe a crystal chessman?”

Ash shook her head, “No. We did a pretty extensive sweep. We're turning over the remains to Wildfire. What's left, anyway. You know how those things burn themselves up.”

“Yeah,” Jason said quietly. “What about Kate's mirror? Is it salvageable?”

“That's taken care of,” Ash told him. “Warren called Binder. She's here working on putting it all back together. Promised Kate that it would never be broken again.”

Jason sighed. One less thing to worry about. “That's good,” he said, nodding to himself.

“Jason?” He looked up. “How are things there? How is Jessica?”

“She's good, Ash. All patched up.”

“That's good, too,” the blonde said with a smile. “Anything on the archer?”

“Not yet. I sent what I had to Callahan. Told Michaels to get it to him and have him get in touch after. I'm still waiting on that call.”

“Then I guess I'll let you go. Take care of him, Marlene.”

“I plan on it, Ash,” Marlene said smiling at Jason. The screen went dark. “You're tired. You need to rest.” Jason's hand found its way back to Marlene's foot in his lap.

“I'm not tired.”

“No. You're not. You're exhausted. If you aren't interested in sleep, then I'm interested in distracting you,” she teased lightly.

Jason uncrossed Marlene's ankles and held one in each hand as he stood. “Desk fantasy, Miss Palmer?”

Marlene gave him a smoldering look. “I've had desk fantasies, Mr. Scott, but it wasn't this desk. If it is fantasy fulfillment you're thinking of, I used to fantasize about you coming in my room at night and having your way with me until the wee hours of the morning.”

“You don't really have a room here right now,” he said, his voice low.

Marlene smiled. “Then we'll have to look into one of the other ones. Like where you cart me off to your room and have your wicked way with me.” She picked Jason's tie up off the desk. “So, shall we?” She rubbed her foot against his side.

“What do you have in mind?” he asked, leaning in close to her.

Jason's fingers caressing her legs made her moan. “Whatever you'd like? Experiment a little?” she said breathlessly. Jason leaned in and kissed her. His fingers slipped his tie from hers and Marlene pressed her hands against his chest, teasing at his buttons. “Jason? What?” she asked in surprise when the tie bound her wrists together.

He knelt down and slipped his fingers into her shoes. Then, standing back up, he easily lifted her with one hand and tossed her over his shoulder. “You wanted to be carted to my room. You're being carted,” he teased her back.

Out in the hall they ran into Trese. “What's going on?” she asked.

“I'm carting Marlene to my room,” he told her playfully. Marlene laughed.

“Uh huh.”

Jason turned to go before turning his attention back to the redhead. “I'm expecting a call from Callahan. It is absolutely imperative that I talk to him, Trese. No matter what, let me know when it comes in.”

“Is it about Jessica?”

“Yes.”

Trese nodded. “As soon as the phone rings.”

“Thank you.”

“Go...whatever it is you're going to go do.”

Jason quirked a smile at her. “Whatever I want.” He turned away and headed down the hall. Marlene smiled and waved at Trese with bound hands. Trese gave her a questioning look and then shook her head. She turned in the opposite direction. She stopped when Marlene squealed and, “Jason, that tickles!” echoed down the hall.

Shaking her head and muttering, “Children”, under her breath, Trese went on her way.

Trese stood patiently after knocking on Jason's door. She waited for the latch to release and let herself in when it did. Marlene's shoes had been dropped inside the door. A little further on and Marlene's skirt had been tossed over the back of Jason's chair. One dark stocking pointed towards the bed.

“Someone looks content,” she said quietly.

Jason lay using Marlene's belly as a pillow. One of his arms ran along Marlene's torso. The other hand rested in one of hers. One exposed leg was tossed over his back. Marlene ran her fingers lightly through his hair. She smiled. “I am,” she said just as quietly.

Trese frowned. “I almost hate to do this,” she said.

“What is it?”

“Longbow is...” Jason was up, apparently wide awake, and heading to his desk. “...on the line.”

“Put him through, Mentor.” Jason bent over his desk, resting his knuckles on top of it. When the connection was made, Jason asked, “Callahan, what have you got?”

Callahan's hair was cropped short and his lower face was covered in the shadow of a beard and mustache. A few days growth at most. He coughed before beginning to answer. “Jason,” his pronunciation of it came out as jai-sin, “sorry for taking so long to get back with you. I put in a request through channels for photographs of the arrow. I told them it might be tied to an ongoing investigation on our end.”

That's fine. What did you find out?”

The image of a bloody arrowhead appeared on the screen. “I'm going to make a few assumptions here. I know how you and the others like facts, but you wanted my expertise. The arrowhead is three bladed. The first assumption is that the arrow is titanium or a titanium alloy. The same with the head.

The fletchings are synthetic feathers. They aren't painted silver. They're made that way.”

Any idea who the shooter is, Callahan?”

I was getting to that. The report said that your girl was shot through a window?”

Car window. Driver's door. Then it went through her carryall.”

It said it went through a book. Do you know how thick it was?”

The book in question is two and a quarter inches thick,” Mentor supplied.

Longbow whistled. “You're looking at a powerful bow if it was able to drive this arrow through a book that thick. Especially after hitting a window.” Jason hung his head. “How's your girl, Jason?”

She's fine, Bryce. Physically there's nothing wrong with her.”

Nodding to himself, Longbow said, “That's good. Keep an eye on her. She may need it.”

Jason looked up. “If and when she is willing, she'll have people to talk to to help her through it.”

She's a pretty girl. I'd hate to see... Anyway. Your shooter. It's a woman. I've run into her a couple of times. She's good.”

As good as you?”

She wishes. I don't know who she is. First name's usually a variation of Rose; Rose, Rosa, Rosita. You get the idea. Last name is a variation of thorn or silver. She has been known to be English, Portuguese, South African, Brazilian. All depends on who is hiring her and where.”

Mercenary.”

Absolutely. The mask is known as Silverthorn.”

Mentor, find out anything and everything you can on her.”

Yes, sir.”

The first piece was in place. Now Jason just needed to find other pieces to fit to it. “Bryce, Michaels said you were hunting. Anything important?”

Drug manufacturing. Looking to close down the operation.”

Jason nodded. “If you need help...”

I work better alone.”

Thanks, Callahan.”

Glad I could be of help. There is one thing, though. Next time, put on some bloody pants!” The screen went dark.

Mumbling, “Sorry, Trese,” Jason climbed back into bed, curling himself around Marlene. Seemingly falling asleep just as fast as he had woken up.

“I see,” she said coldly. She thought for a moment before her face brightened. “Well then, I won't keep you gentlemen. A lovely party, Jason. Thank you for the invitation.”

“Good evening, Julia,” Jason said with a nod of his head.

Jordan saluted to her with his hooked hand. “Miss Frost. Ever a pleasure.” Julia gave a shallow curtsy, spun on her heel and clicked her way back to the stairs. “To see you leave,” Jordan added quietly when she was out of earshot.

Jason turned his attention back to the dance floor. Jordan followed suit. There was a slow song playing. Warren held Kate close while they danced. Irish was sitting on the window seat, shoes off and rubbing one foot. She was chatting animatedly with Emily.

Brad danced slowly with Jennie while looking elsewhere. Jason didn't need his link to know that Leah was in the direction Brad was looking. Jason shook his head slowly. Marlene was nowhere in sight.

“Are you sure you're doing the right thing? I've never known you to go into battle without a plan?”

Of the three options, Jason choose the one closest in his mind. “If it was anyone else, I might have doubts. My godmother once told me that sometimes you need to just follow your heart.”

Jordan nodded. “Wise woman, your godmother,” he said.

“Except for who she married,” Jason said with a smirk.

“Except for that,” Jordan agreed.

Jason toyed with the envelope in his hand before pulling up the flap and taking out a single sheet of stationary.

Jason,

Sorry for not being there, but I've got a project that I'm working on.

If you are doing what I think you are, and with whom, I can only say it's

about time you opened your eyes to what's in front of you.

Much love,

Brianna

You were supposed to come looking for me.”

Jason looked up and smiled at “Lady Pulsar”. “I've been watching you all night,” he told her.

From a distance.” She walked slowly towards him and Jason took his time admiring the nuances of her costume. The under layer was an orange body stocking or body suit. The over layer was a high cut leotard, much like a bunny suit, only with a high collar. The star burst was cut out, showing cleavage through the sheer under layer. High heeled yellow pixie boots were on her feet. Yellow gloves matching the cut of the boots covered each hand. Orange lens canopied her eyes in her yellow mask. The lower part, where Pulsar wore a full mask, was open. Her lips were colored a sparkly orange, fading to yellow along the line of her mouth. She spun slowly, allowing Jason to see all of it. “What do you think?”

Very daring, Marlene.”

She turned to Jordan and cocked her head up to look at him. “You haven't danced with Irish, Jordan. There's a slow song playing”

Jordan smiled. “Why do I get the impression that I'm being dismissed.”

You aren't, but I'm about to do something that might embarrass you again.” Jordan nodded to Jason and headed towards the stairs.

Eric Somers stood aloof. At an intimidating six-and-a-half feet tall and wide enough through the shoulders to seem like a wall, no one approached him. Not even the servers. That didn't bother him. He wasn't at the party to be entertained.

He wore a long, black coat over a suit and tie. His shoulder length brown hair was pulled back into a tail. Draped across his arm was a fur trimmed, blue cloak that Julia Frost had opted to wear in lieu of a coat.

His eyes never stopped scanning the crowd of revelers. He especially watched anyone that went too close to the staircase Julia had gone up. He hated masquerades. Too many masks, in his opinion. And behind any one of them could be a real mask. New York was rife with them. Moreso than a lot of other major cities. Eric preferred Chicago.

Finally, Julia descended the stairs. He did not stir. Her orders had been explicit to him. “Wait here,” she had said. And so he had. A figure in orange and yellow moved towards the bottom of the stairs. Orange and yellow reminded him of the Guardians and Pulsar; no love lost there. The figure was dressed as Pulsar might look as a woman. She stopped and exchanged pleasantries with Julia. Before long both women continued on their ways.

Unfurling the cloak with her approach, he said, “My Lady.” Julia paused just past him, allowing him to drape the garment over her shoulders. She pulled the hood up. Heading towards the door, Eric fell into place two steps behind her.

Outside, their car, an SUV limousine, stood waiting. A valet rushed over to open the door for her. He offered Julia a hand and Eric stared at him. An intimidating stare that caused the valet to stumble and back away. Eric put his hand out for Julia so that she could pull herself up into the car. Eric slipped in behind her and the SUV settled lower on its reinforced frame. Before he could pull the door closed, Julia pulled her tiara off and tossed it out to shatter on the drive. Ice to melt in the morning sun.

“It did not go well?”

“Hsst!” she gave out in warning. Julia punched a button for the intercom. “Take us back to the hotel,” she told the driver. Condensation was heavy on her breath. Eric went to make comment and Julia held her hand up to forestall him. “Contact the team.”

“So what happens now?” Trese asked, her face turned towards the small window. She had finally surrendered Jason's coat to the attendant. There was a cup of hot tea on the table in front of her.

Beth gave her a long look before answering. “I'm not sure. I don't know what Jason's thoughts are. Until we get that sorted, you are, at the very least, his guest.”

“Have you worked for him very long?”

“A little more than five years.” Jason moving back caught Beth's attention.

Trese turned to look when Beth fell silent. Jason was carrying the guitar from the cabin. That confused her. She didn't recall Jason packing it in the Range Rover. She heard Jason say, “Hey,” and a gasp from Marlene when she saw the guitar. She saw Marlene reach towards the guitar with a shaking hand, not quite touching it from where Trese sat.

Jason turned the guitar around and set it in Marlene's lap. Her arms went around it, not like she was holding a guitar, but rather like she was hugging an old friend. Trese saw two shiny streaks roll down the face of it. Marlene drew her legs up. Kneeling down, Jason laid his hand on Marlene's calf. Two fingers lay above the hem of her skirt, two below. Something about Marlene changed with that touch that Trese couldn't define.

Open your damned eyes, idiot,” Trese heard Beth say.

Excuse me?”

Beth gave her a weak smile. “I'm sorry. Just talking to myself.” Trese turned back to Marlene.

He spoke quietly so that only Marlene heard. Whatever he had said she replied only with the nod of her head. Jason moved to stand and Marlene flipped the armrests between her seat and the one next to her up. She patted the seat. “Sit with me? Please?” Jason smiled and nodded. He retrieved the brief Beth had given him and sat.

Trese heard the music of a piano coming from the library. She changed her course and headed for it. Before she got there she heard the tink-tink-tink of one key being repeatedly pressed. She stood against the door frame and watched Marlene play on the antique Steinway. She had never seen or heard anyone play it before.

Marlene was playing from sheet music, but Trese couldn't place the song. Marlene looked up and smiled when she saw the other girl. “I didn't know you can play,” Trese said.

Marlene shrugged. “I took it up early. My mom wanted me to learn to play. I never really got into playing until I met Stacy. The first time Jason brought me over I ended up spending more time with her than him. I think I learned more from her than I ever did during my lessons.”

I wish I had had the chance to meet her.” Trese came closer and stood on one bare foot with the scarred one hidden behind her leg. Her fingers tangled in the hem of her t-shirt. “I don't think the cover had ever been lifted off the keys in the entire time I've been here.”

Marlene smiled. “She would have loved you every bit as much as Charles did. It's been used. Jason had it taken to the Mistral Wind for a party. Michael Williams was in attendance and he played on it.”

Michael... Williams? Black Lightning Michael Williams? The guy who sings Thundering Rain?”

Nodding her head, Marlene said, “Yes. He's a friend of Leah's”

Wow. I just thought he was a guitarist and singer.” Trese came closer and sat on the bench with Marlene. “What are you wearing?”

Jason's shirt,” Marlene said with some amusement.

Trese gave her a perturbed look and Marlene laughed. “That's not what I meant, and you know it.”

Marlene stuck her tongue out at Trese. “I'm also wearing a garter belt, if you must know. Bikini bottoms?”

Trese nodded. “I was going to go for a swim when I heard the piano. Marlene, can I ask you a question?”

You're going to be my little sister and you still feel you have to ask if you can ask me something?” Marlene teased.

The redhead blushed. “How come you dress...?”

She smiled. “Well, when I was in high school there was this guy I found interesting and I was experimenting with different things. To try and catch his attention. I was out shopping and came across a garter belt and it gave me a few ideas. After that, I found out that I preferred them to pantyhose.” She shrugged. “I like how I feel when I wear them.”

Did they work? Did you get his attention?”

Eventually.”

Jason?” Marlene gave a nod in answer. “Where is he, anyways?”

Marlene screwed up her mouth. “Melner over in Special Projects called. He wanted Jason to meet with him.” She pulled the key cover over the keys. “Tell you what. You let me go get my suit on and I'll swim with you.”

I am enjoying the cutscenes, but I would love an introduction to the scene.

Last time on Snippets Jason left early on to pursue his investigation into ??? Leaving Marlene and their guest Trese at their Residence in ??? It's a beautiful morning with the household waking up.

Just my 2 cents. Wish I could write as good as you.

QM

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Mitchell sat in a chair in the waiting area outside Jason's office. His eyes were on his companion. The black Wildfire dress uniform fit her well; from the soft-soled Oxford shoes to the beret on her braided red hair. The patch on her jacket's sleeve showed the flame of Project Wildfire. The shoulder epaulet closest to him was covered in captain's stripes. Pinned to the collar of her jacket were pilot's wings. Instead of the flame of Wildfire in the center, it had a white cross on a red field. A medical pilot as opposed to a combat pilot.

Roan Shepperly's attention was fully on a painting hanging on the wall. She had been staring at it so long that she no longer saw the picture, but the brush strokes. It was a way to keep herself from checking the time every few minutes. The painting was one of Jason's. Every time she looked at his name her temper rose. I thought I was past that, she chided herself.

The door to Jason's office opened and Mitchell pulled himself forward in his chair. Roan turned her head and watched the man leaving the office close the door behind. He smiled at Roan and nodded his head. She nodded back, vaguely remembering him. She turned her attention back to the painting.

She wasn't sure how long she had been staring at it before she heard Jessica Randall's voice. “Roan? Jason can see you now.”

Thank you, Jessica,” she replied. “That won't be necessary,” she said, halting Jessica's movement towards the door. “Come on, Brian.” He made it to the door before she did.

Jason stood leaning against the front of his desk. He was reading a paper held in one hand, while the other hand tugged at the knot of his tie. When Roan moved into the office he set the paper aside. “Hello, Roan,” he greeted her with a slight smile. “Mitch,” he said with a nod of his head.

Sir,” Mitchell responded. “Ma'am,” he nodded to Kris where she sat on a couch.

Kris? What are you doing here?” asked Roan.

Smiling, Kris said, “I've got a lunch date,” she nodded her head towards Jason. “If he can get through the rest of his meetings before we're supposed to head back to New York.”

Sorry,” Jason said quietly. “Please, have a seat,” he said, indicating chairs. Mitchell dropped himself into one.

Roan pursed her lips. “That's alright, Jason. I don't want to take up your time, so I don't think we'll be here that long.” Slipping her hand inside her dress jacket, Roan pulled out an envelope. She held it out for Jason. “I've come to tender my resignation.”

Jason stood quietly, studying her, while Kris and Mitchell both tried getting her attention. Jason held his hand up and they both fell silent at the gesture. “Kris?”

Sitting forward on her seat, Kris said, “Roan, I thought you liked flying for me?”

I do, Kris, but I don't want to feel like I'm being constrained working for Jason and flying for you,” Roan explained. “I can't fly two birds at the same time.”

Jason took the envelope that Roan still held out to him. “I see your point,” he said. He set the envelope on his desk beside him and squared it to the edge. “Mitch, how much has Miss Shepperly been told?”

Mitchell's eyes darted to Roan before looking back at Jason. “Standard indoctrination debrief, Sir. Nothing further, to my knowledge.” Jason nodded.

Roan, you want to keep flying for Kris, yes?”

Yes, I do.”

But you don't want to continue working for me?”

No, Sir. I don't.”

Did you read the papers that I prepared for you?” Jason asked.

Roan's hand shot out, striking Jason across the face. “Son of a bitch! I cared about you! And...and you toss me away just to cover up a mistake!”

Mitchell shot to his feet. “Roan!”

It's okay, Mitch. I see Roan's point and I kind of had that coming,” Jason said.

Kris gave Jason an amused look. “You sure can pick them.” Jason gave her a quick shrug.

Roan, please, have a seat. Mitch,” Jason motioned for him to resume his seat. Roan settled into a chair near to hand. “I care about you, Roan. Really, I do. Which was why I stopped taking your calls and stopped making myself available.

Now as to the matter at hand, if you wish to keep flying for Kris, I'm afraid that I must refuse your resignation.” Roan came to her feet again and opened her mouth. Jason's hand went up to silence her. “If you had read through those papers, one of which was a transfer.”

I am aware of that.”

A transfer that came with a sizable pay raise. I was not trying to get rid of you, Roan. I was not trying to cover anything up.” He gave her a smile. “I wanted you to be happy doing what you do best. Now, I can't accept your resignation if you truly enjoy flying with Kris.”

Why?”

Because you still work for me. Had you read through the papers and the Wildfire manuals, you would have realized that your pay still comes through this company.”

Roan,” Mitch got her attention, “I worked security at Kendall Electronics before I transferred to Wildfire. Same set up. I was suited for working with Kris. That's why when her jet goes up, I'm with her.”

Lowering herself back to her seat, Roan quietly said, “Oh.” Taking the envelope off the desk, Jason held it back out to her. She took it without looking at him. “I guess this changes things.”

I'm sorry if it burst your bubble of righteous anger, Roan,” Jason said just as quietly.

I thought...”

I am sorry, Roan. I should have been more open with you. It wasn't like we weren't alone on a plane for hours.” Roan chuckled quietly.

Can I ask you something?”

Sure,” he answered.

Roan tilted her head up to look Jason in the eye. “What were you doing on that island last year?”

Pursing his lips in a contemplative manner, Jason was quiet for a long moment. “I was trying to kill someone.”

I don't understand.”

Jason looked at Mitchell, who only shrugged. Then Jason looked at Kris. She gave him an appraising look before giving him a slow nod. Jason sighed and stood to his full height. Roan slowly rose to her feet once again.

With a sudden crimson flash, Pulsar stood before her.

This is why? Why you keep distance from everyone?”

Partly,” he responded.

What about you and Marlene? Was there any truth to you and her...” His only answer was to nod. Roan reached up and laid her hand on his cheek. “I'm sorry,” she said quietly. “What happened to her?”

I...” his gaze dropped to the carpet between them, “I don't know.”

Stepping confidently into view, Jason addressed the Tharian warrior, “Hydron.”

“Praetor,” the alien said with a slight nod of his head. “You should not be outside of your sanctuary without your guard.” The sounds coming from Hydron's mouth were in no language a human could understand. The voice Jason heard came from a device attached to the alien's harness. His head cocked to the side, studying Jason. Nictitating membranes slowly covered his eyes before drawing back. “You are not the Praetor,” Hydron said in a questioning manner. “You are other.” The trident scepter in his hand snapped out into the full length of a spear.

Well, I guess subterfuge isn't going to work any more,” Jason said with quiet humor.

Returning late from lunch, Jason had a jaunty spring in his step. He passed by Jessica's desk and she commented, “Someone is in a good mood.” And he was. He would miss Kris, but it wouldn't be long and he would find a reason to travel back to New York. In private moments, Kris was always able to talk to him and pull things out in ways Ash had never been able to. He was very pleased that their friendship was back on a proper course.

As for Roan, Jason was happy for her and Mitch. She seemed to handle the revelation of his dual identity well. And he felt he could trust her. He always had, which was part of what led him to asking her out in the first place. He hadn't even minded when Kris extended an invitation to lunch to them. Which was why he was returning late.

Jessica followed him into his office. “I hate to be the one to ruin your lovely mood, but I wasn't exactly able to reschedule all of your appointments. The representative of Bright Star waited. He only left about an hour ago.”

Hanging his suit coat in his office's closet, Jason nodded his head. “Set up a call with their rep and see when a good time will be. Might have to make a concession or two to Daniels.”

“Jason, Joshua Daniels was the rep that was here today. You kept him waiting and never showed. He said he will be here first thing in the morning. Six AM.”

“Great,” Jason said quietly. “Looks like some get called in early. Let the necessary parties know.”

“Yes, sir,” Jessica responded. Jason raised his eyebrows in a questioning manner. “Yes, Jason.”

He smiled warmly at her. “That's better.” He turned his attention to the papers set out on his desk. Picking up one, he scanned the first page. “Contract,” he said quietly and set it aside. “From legal to be read, I assume.”

“Yes. Would you like a cup of coffee or something?”

Shuffling through the various reports and whatnot, Jason said, “No, but thank you, Jessica.” She turned and had made it to the door when Jason asked, “Jessica, what's this?”

Turning back, Jessica saw that Jason had an envelope in his hand. The envelope had a red, white and green alternating border. Jessica knew that there was a seal of crossed candy canes on the flap. She stepped forward with her hand out for the envelope. “That was supposed to go into Trese's mail. I'm sorry, sir...Jason. I'll take it to her.”

Jason had pulled the card out and read it before Jessica made it to his desk. “What's it for?”

Jessica slowly lowered her hand. “It's a thank you card.”

“I can see that. What's it for?”

Jessica seemed nervous when she answered. “You'll have to ask Trese or Beth.”

Holding her gaze, Jason soon slowly nodded his head and smiled at his personal assistant. “All right. I'll do that. Mentor.”

“Yes, sir?”

“Scan, sort and prioritize these papers, please.” Jason headed out the door.

Jessica let out a sigh.

Making his way through the administration center, Jason glanced down the hall towards his old office, now Trese's. The door was closed and Tara was absent from her desk.

He continued through the office. The cubicles were mostly quiet, being late in the day and close to quitting time. There were some that preferred the quiet of the evening to do their work as opposed to the bustle and rush of the days. That also held true for the scientists and researchers. Even for the holidays Scott Enterprises never really closed.

Passing through the cubicle farm, Jason made his way across to the glass-walled office of Beth Gilbert. The door was open so he stepped inside. “You busy?”

“No. This stack of files on my desk is just to make sure that it doesn't float away,” sarcasm was thick in her voice.

“Sorry.”

Beth sighed. “Don't worry about it. I'm just going through the end-of-year evaluations and reviews for the staff. How was lunch?”

“Lunch was good. Roan stopped by before she and Kris had to leave. Kris invited her along.”

Giving Jason a crooked smile, she said, “I bet that was interesting. Last time I talked to Roan she was threatening to do you irreparable harm.”

“I think she's over it. She's seeing someone.”

Beth gave a real smile. “Well, good on her. I hope she's happy.”

“She seemed that way,” Jason agreed. “I wanted to ask you about this,” he said, holding up the envelope. “What's this for?” He passed it to Beth when she held up her hand for it.

Slipping the card from its sheath, she looked it over. “It's a thank you note.”

Annoyance crossed Jason's face and was gone before Beth looked up. “I got that from reading it. I also got that from Jessica, who adamantly refused to comment on it. She said to ask you or Trese. Seeing as Trese is not in her office, that left you.”

Beth looked at Jason in silence for a moment. “No, I can't imagine why.”

“What's that supposed to mean?”

“It means, Jason, that anything that remotely has to do with Marlene, or that reminds you of her becomes a very touchy subject. You've got people walking around you like they're walking on broken glass barefoot. They don't know how you'll react, so they try not to bring it up,” Beth explained.

Jason looked down. “Beth, you have to understand...” When Jason looked up there were tears in Beth's eyes.

“No, dammit!” she exclaimed standing up and slamming her fist to a bare spot on her desk. “Dammit, Jason, I don't have to understand! I need to know! For as long as I've worked for you Marlene has been my best friend. Nobody knows what has happened to her. I've talked to Warren. As far as anyone knows Marlene was in your loft when it got blown to hell! And then you go running off for the better part of two months!”

Marlene,” he said quietly. “Marlene was in the loft when it blew. All they found were some traces of blood that matched Marlene and someone else.” He slipped his hand into a pocket. “And they found this,” he said, pulling his hand out and showing her a necklace that she'd never seen Marlene without. A black stone with a red star that normally shone with its own light, that now seemed dead.

• 3 weeks later...

Staring at the cell phone in her hand like it was something alive and liable to bite her, Leah wanted to toss it out of the car. It was Jason's, though, so she stuffed it into the pocket of the jacket she was wearing against the cool Southern California winter day.

The sky was blue and reflected off the Pacific Ocean. The view helped her some, as did the memory of that morning. After an awkward night of dancing and an ill-advised passionate kiss, Leah had spent several hours in the shower crying. When she finally felt she could face Jason again, she had crawled into bed beside him, only to have him in turn get up and take what had to have been a cold shower, since the water had started to turn just before she had gotten out.

But that morning, Leah had woken up with Jason's arms about her. Her head had rested on his arm, her face close to his chest. His other arm held her close in sleep. She had awoken early and realized, and then just laid with him, not wanting to disturb him, pretending to still sleep. That lasted until Jason quietly slipped from her and went into the bathroom.

When Jason came out, Leah was up and awaiting her turn. Jason had smiled at her, but she had had a hard time meeting his eyes.

“Want to talk about it?” Jason asked, passing a car heading to a beach turnoff.

“Not really. The guy thought he could get me to pose naked for him. Three years without work and the guy figures all I'm good for is porn work. From what Renea said, he's tried this stunt before with other models.”

“At least she was able to give you a heads up on the situation before you got down to San Diego. Any expected problems with the Vancouver shoot?” Jason asked her.

Glancing at Jason out of the corner of her eye, Leah gave him a wry smile. “No. Renea set that one up for me.”

“It was nice that she re-signed you.”

Turning her head towards the ocean, Leah, brushed her wind-blown hair from her face. “Yeah. Now I just need money,” she said quietly. “I can't keep living off everyone else.”

Slowing the '59 Corvette Roadster so as not to rear-end a touring bus, Jason said to her, “No reason you have to.”

“What do you mean?” Leah asked, turning her attention back to Jason. “I've pretty well depleted my savings.”

“You've got money coming to you. Marlene...” Jason got quiet and Leah reached out a tentative hand to touch his leg. Jason's hand dropped from the steering wheel to lay atop hers. “Marlene had been fighting with accounting to get funds released for you for the time you were working undercover.”

“I wasn't working undercover. You know that.”

Jason swung out to pass the bus. “I know that. You know that. Marlene knew that. Marlene didn't care. Remember, she's the one that dealt with the Guardians. Everything went to her first before it got disbursed through to the various departments, like Accounting. It was a small matter for her to have a few files altered with Mentor's help, to create the truth that Sparx was undercover as a Guardian. You're entitled to the same pay that the others claim.”

“She didn't have to do that,” Leah said smiling, although there were tears in her eyes.

“No, she didn't,” he agreed. “She wanted to do that. For you.”