Reaffirmation Day

Greywind

Warren sat in the dark. Moonlight danced through the curtains of the window. The light drew his eyes out the window to the blossoms that had sprung forth from the window box. That box held a lot of memories, both for him and for Kate. He remembered making it for her. He remembered the silly look she had on her face when she opened it that Christmas. Warren remembered, too, her laughing about it the day that he and Jason mounted it on the balcony of Leah and Kate's apartment, where she could see it from her bed. Kate had thought it was cute the way he tended that box for her when it was needed. Most importantly, Warren remembered the way her eyes lit up when the first flowers bloomed.

He had wanted to make her a bigger one when they moved to the farm, to fit the window sill, but Kate had insisted that it had to be that box. Kate usually got what she wanted from him.

Sound from downstairs drew his attention and he tensed. Jennie. Jennie would stay with Kate until he got back. Jennie didn't understand; she just knew that this day was somehow important to Warren and his friends. She loved Kate like the older sister she wished she had had growing up. Instead of an older brother she always complained about. Warren loved her though. She was his kid sister.

Warren's gaze drifted back to where the moonlight played on his wife's face. He sat quietly, thinking about how lucky he was. He heard the alarm clock click, cast his glance at it, and changed. It wouldn't do to run from Omaha to New York out of costume.

He checked his bag one more time. His best suit was laid flat against the rigid back, his good shoes at the bottom, what Kate referred to as his “grubbies” she had insisted he pack in a separate bag; jeans he didn't mind getting dirty, sneakers to work in, and a t-shirt. That bag nestled in with his shoes. Warren's jacket was tossed in, in case the day was cool.

The last thing Warren put in he had to force to close the zipper. A hard tool case that contained a handle in which various implements could be locked into. A hand rake, a trowel, a small hoe. It wasn't much, but to Warren it was one the greatest gifts he'd ever been given. Kate had given it to him the first Christmas that they had been together after they had officially decided that they were a couple. The first thing he had used it on was Kate's window box.

Kate's hand ran down Warren's side of the bed. Finding it empty her eyes fluttered open. “Warren?” she called quietly.

“I'm right here,” he answered just as quietly. He knelt beside her and took her hand in his and pressed his lips to it.

She ran her fingers through his hair and smiled. “I thought you might have left without saying goodbye.”

“I wouldn't break that promise, Kate. I will never leave you without saying goodbye or telling you that I love you.” He sat up beside her and helped her up to where he could embrace her. “I love you.”

“I wish I were going with you. Only going to be one day?”

“I wish you could go, too.” He smiled for her. “That's all I'm planning on. If anything happens I'll give you a call.” He rubbed his wife's belly affectionately. His wife and his son. “You and junior should go back to sleep.”

“Juniette,” Kate said. “I fully expect that room to be painted pink the day after she's born.”

Warren smiled. “We'll see.” He adjusted the covers and kissed her. “I love you, Katherine.” She rolled over on her side and made a contented purr when he ran his fingers through her hair. He waited and listened for her breath to settle before he left.

Re: Reaffirmation Day

Warren had timed it well. A two-and-a-half hour run and it was still before dawn. He had time to watch the sun come up. He even had had time to stop in a diner for a large breakfast and coffee. Even the idiot that tried to rob the place didn't spoil Warren's mood.

In an isolated corner of the cemetery, Warren changed into his grubbies and pulled out his tool kit. He looked at the headstone, partially covered by overgrowth. He would have to make comment about the grounds keeper not keeping it up. He knelt beside the grave and opened up the tool kit. He pulled out hand trimmers and set to work.

“Hey, Cheryl. I'm sorry that I haven't visited in a while. I didn't expect it to be a year. Things got kind of busy. Kate and I are going to have a baby. I'm pretty sure it will be a boy. Kate is insisting that it's going to be a girl. No, we aren't sure. Only the doctor and the techs know for sure. We didn't want to be told. We thought we would do it the old-fashioned way and find out when the baby is born.” As he worked the clippings and weeds made a small pile.

“It's kind of funny. When I first met Kate, she was this... I don't know... party girl. She was shallow. It seemed that the only things she was really interested in was her next bit of fun. I didn't like her. I really can't explain why I kept agreeing to go out with her.” Warren sat back on his heels and looked at what little he had done so far. This was too important to him to do at speed. “And then that day came. She called me, Cheryl. She was crying and scared and she called me. She wanted me to come over. I don't know if it was the tone in her voice or what, but I went to her.

“She rambled a lot when she talked. I really couldn't talk to her. All I could get out were lines like 'I understand'. Finally she stopped. She stopped talking. She almost stopped crying.” Warren picked bits of glass out of the grass. Brown, green, blue and clear bits of glass. Remnants of someone partying in the cemetery. He pulled a plastic bag out of his pack and dropped the refuse in. “I can't really say why I did what I did. I just felt that she needed me. She was laying there on her bed with a silly stuffed bear clutched to her with her back to me. I didn't know if she was daring me to go or was afraid I would go.”

Warren eyed the four holders for votive cups. One was bent. Two were empty. Probably part of the glass he had picked out earlier. The other two still had the candle holders in them. One, the uppermost, somebody had turned into an ashtray. He pulled those out and dropped them in with the rest of the trash.

“I slipped my shoes off, Cheryl. I laid down beside her and pulled her blanket up. She didn't move. I laid with my chest up against her back, and I couldn't help but think how small she was. I remember her shaking and I put my arm around her. It took her a while, but she slept.”

He gripped the bent holder and straightened it the best he could. He wasn't as strong as Brad or Jason, but farm work was good for keeping him in shape.

“I can't remember if I told you this before, Cheryl, but Kate had been picked out. Sex slavery, white slavery, whatever you want to call it. Jason knew she was in trouble. And he saved her. That link that he has with us. I'd forgotten that it was the link that let him know she was in trouble.” Warren traced the letters carved into the headstone with a finger. “I should apologize to him about what I said. There's no way he could have known about feedback through the link.” He sat with his back against the side of the grave marker. “I think I'm just going to sit here a while and think.”

Ash looked at the disaster that was the Guardians' kitchen and groaned. “Looks like the kitchen won this battle.” Ash cast a glare at the speaker, the Amazonian Charley.

Remind me again why we don't get along.”

Because I'm stronger, bigger and a lot more attractive than you. Sink or floor?”

Ash sighed. “I'll do the floor. You start the dishes. When I get done I'll help you out. If you're so wonderful how come you always lost the fights?”

Charley started stacking glasses and other used items as neatly as she could to clear room in the sink. “I didn't always lose. And it's because you're short. That makes you a hard target for someone like me.”

Rolling a mop and bucket in from the utility closet, Ash said, “So all I ever had to do to beat you was to hide under... No. I'm not going there. Forget I even alluded to it.” She slopped the mop across the linoleum. “Times like this I really miss Warren.”

I can imagine the joy of a high speed janitor. Or dishwasher.” Soap suds rose from the sink. “I'm surprised there isn't an automatic dishwasher in here.” Ash laughed. She reached over and tripped a release under the counter's edge. The door fell open and the rack rolled out. “What the...?”

Who told you we didn't have one and that the dishes had to be done by hand?” Ashed asked with a smirk.

Nightwing,” Charley growled. She quickly altered her plans and began rinsing the dishes.

Floor cleaned and dishes mostly done, Ash commented, “Now we're getting to the point where I wish Jason were here.”

For what?”

A decent breakfast. I'm tired of cold cereal.” Ash rolled the bucket out of the kitchen.

Charley watched the shorter blonde come back into the kitchen. “What would you like?”

Eggs. Fresh oatmeal. Pancakes. Waffles. Anything other than cold cereal.” Ash buried her head in the fridge.

The statuesque blonde raised an eyebrow at the rant. “You can't cook?”

I can. I don't like to. I got spoiled by years of Jason doing it. Meh,” she said, closing the door.

What did you do for the last couple of years? Get the stuff out. I'll cook.”

Ash gave her a look of annoyance. “You can cook?” Charley shrugged. Ash returned to the refrigerator, taking out eggs, bacon and juice. “When did you ever need to cook?”

Angel wasn't the only one that spent time with Jason. He taught me a few things.”

Setting the things on the counter, Ash asked her, “How did you and Jason become friends, anyways?”

Does it matter?” Charley said quietly. “Omelet?”

Ash pulled peppers from the fridge and tossed those to Charley. “Sounds good.” She got a large onion from the pantry and set to peeling it down. After a few moments of the chopping of vegetables being the only sound, Ash put her hand on the taller woman's arm. “It matters to you. Otherwise you wouldn't still be here.”

Charley stopped with the touch. When Ash dropped her hand and resumed dicing the onion, Charley slowly returned to doing the same with the peppers. “A little while after things got... complicated with Angel and Jason,” she said quietly, “I had a bad night. A little bit of history and a little bit of other problems got to the point where I couldn't handle any more. I went out. I got drunk. I'd like to say that I hadn't meant to, but I'd be lying to myself if I did.” She turned her attention to cracking eggs. “You ever get drunk after?”

I drink, Charley. Getting drunk has never been one of my vices.”

That night was the first time in a long time. The first time since I was pulled into that lab and remade. I got blind stinking falling down drunk to the point that I couldn't stand, couldn't fight if I had to. And that night,” Charley made a sound that Ash couldn't tell if it was a laugh or if she was trying not to cry, “that night... I got drunk in a bad place. Helpless. I hate being helpless. I don't know if they were rednecks, bangers or just assholes, but a bunch of guys thought they would screw the lesbian straight. And I couldn't fight them off.”

So what happened?”

Jason was out looking for a fight. He happened to be in the right place, just in time to keep me from being violated. I woke up in the loft. I was sick. Jason took care of me through a couple of days of detox and nightmares. I broke the toilet. I broke the island in the kitchen.” In a quieter tone she said, “I broke Jason a couple of times. And through the nightmares he held me. When I was able he got me in the bathroom and into the tub.”

Ash gave Charley a friendly smile. “Luckily Jason has an affectation for having large tubs wherever he lives. I think he does it for the women in his life. So you were the reason he had it remodeled?”

I guess so. Anyways, while I was a helpless prisoner of his bed, we talked. About a lot of things. Been friends ever since. I would appreciate if you...”

Charley,” Ash said warmly, “no one will ever hear it from me. Are you coming along today?”

The tall woman pulled out plates while Ash got forks. “I don't know. I thought about it. I wasn't sure how welcome I'd be. Jason invited me to dinner later.”

We're all invited to dinner later. When it was just the four of us, Jason usually cooked. With more of us, well... Warstar will be staying in the tower to monitor. He's kind of hard to take into a semi-public dining room. Honestly, I was wondering if Jason was planning on showing. He missed the last two.”

He had his reasons. Ash... thanks,” Charley said with a shrug.

Ash took one of plates from Charley and handed her a fork. “Any time.”

Brad came around the corner. “Hey! That smells good. What's to eat? I'm starved.”

Together, Ash and Charley said, “Cereal,” and took their plates to the dining area.

Kris stole a glance at the clock mounted on the wall. She had hoped that she would have been able to get some sleep. Either at the apartment she shared with Kari or back at the tower. She wanted to at least feel human by the time everyone gathered.

She was sitting at a desk at the wards nurse's station writing up her notes. She had been “requested” to write a report for the Chief of Staff. Staff reports. Patient reports. Inventory reports. It went on and on. She hated having to cover the midnight shift. The day shift was due in any time now. About half an hour after that, all her papers filed and she could fly the coop. Or more specifically, fly back to her coop.

“Dr. Tyler?” Kris looked up at a young orderly. He reminded her of a young Matt Damon. He had an envelope in hand. “A guy in long coat and a 'Gilligan' hat asked me to give this to you.”

“Thank you,” her eyes darted to his ID, “Robert.” She turned it over, finding nothing written on it. She slipped it under the reports on her clipboard and went back to filling in the proper boxes with the correct information.

“Ma'am?”

“Hmm?”

“What's it like?”

Kris hooked her pen to the clipboard. Questions like this tended to keep her from working. “What's what like?”

“To fly. To know all those people. I don't know, to be a hero, I guess.”

“Robert, to me there is a great deal of freedom in flying. I'm not bound by anything except gravity when I fly. 'Those people' are just people. Just like you and the nurses and the doctors. They have problems. Relationship issues. Money issues. Sometimes they have issues because they are different.” She smiled at him. “And I'm not a hero. I'm a doctor. The people I have the most respect for, they don't think of themselves as heroes. They do what their gifts allow to help others. Not a lot of difference between that and being a trauma surgeon in the ER.”

Kris pulled the envelope free of the papers and slipped her pen through the flap, breaking the seal. Inside was a plain card. She flipped that open to find only a single scrawled word. Roof. The only thing that came close to a signature was a badly drawn bee with an arrow pointing at the stinger.

She stood up. “Where's the man that gave you this?”

“He left,” Robert said, pointing towards the outer doors.

Kris sprinted for the doors. She hated the slow traverse of the revolving door, but it was easier with her wings. Once clear of the door she unfurled her wings and launched herself into the early morning sky.

On the roof of the hospital Stinger sat on an air conditioning housing. “Hiya, doc.”

“Hello, Archie. What's on your mind?” Kris settled lightly on the roof.

Stinger's wings vibrated. “Got a problem, doc. I was kind of hoping you could return a favor for a favor.”

“I can't make promises, Archie, without knowing what it is you want.” Kris slipped her hands in to the pockets of her lab coat. To Kris's eyes Stinger looked like he was mulling something over.

“Three things, doc,” he finally said. “I need to talk to Titania. I need to talk to Lord Darque's daughter. And I think I need to talk to your friend that Bauer hates. Bauer has been taking lessons from Lord Darque. Whether your friend realizes it or not, the board is already in play.”

Sunlight played through the skylight to fall across the blankets. Marlene had her arms wrapped around a pillow. Jason lay propped up on one elbow and he watched her sleep. In time her eyes fluttered without ever really opening. She rolled on her back and stretched, the blankets outlining and defining the curves of her body. Her hand smoothed the covers until she encountered Jason. She rolled over and pressed herself up against him.

“Someone kept me up late last night,” she said.

Jason brushed her hair away from her face and his finger traced the shape of her ear. “Is that a complaint, Miss Palmer?” he asked with a hint of amusement.

“Hmmm”, Marlene mumbled while shaking her head. “You can keep me up late like that any time you want.” Her hands moved under the blankets. “What time is it?”

“Almost noon.”

Marlene rolled back and sat up. “Jason, I had an appointment at nine with Accounting! Now I'm going to have to reschedule.”

Jason caught her hand when she threw the covers back, and pulled her to himself. “The meeting with Accounting went fine. I took your notes and your questions and I went in your place.” Jason kissed the hollow of her throat. “What kind of owner would I be if I didn't give my favorite employee time to recuperate from the fringe benefits such an arrangement offers?”

“You're sure?” There was a quaver in her voice.

“Umm hmm,” he mumbled, his kisses slowly working up her neck. “Took Mentor along to record it for you.”

Her voice became huskier. “And then you came back to bed?”

“No. I came back to be with the most beautiful woman in my world.” And then they lost themselves in each other for a time.

Waking from a light doze, Marlene cast a glance at the alarm clock. Almost one. She threw the covers over and got up, poking Jason as she did so. “Need to get motivated or we'll be late. I'm taking a shower.”

Jason watched her walk out the door for the stairs. “You need any help with that?”

“If you and I get in the shower together we'll be late. If you cut some fruit up for me, I might leave you some hot water.” Jason grabbed shorts and slipped those on before doing a back flip off down to the lower level. Marlene gave him a look. “I really wish you wouldn't do that.”

“You just don't like it because I can beat you downstairs.” Jason kissed her gently. Her look broke into a laugh. “I love you,” he said quietly, kissing her again.

Marlene started slipping her arms around him before she broke the kiss. “Oh, no you don't. I'm taking a shower. I am not missing this secret superhero initiation ritual because you want to do things to me.”

“You're no fun,” he said with a put-upon grumble. “It isn't an initiation.” Anything Marlene said was drowned out by the running water. Jason pulled melons and berries from the refrigerator and set to cutting them up. His mind wandered back to his first meeting that morning.

Jason stood atop the Scott Enterprises office's helipad. He gaze caught white wings against the blue of the morning sky. His eyes picked out the brown and green of Dove's companion. He watched as they drew nearer. Kris landed easily with a snap of her wings breaking her momentum. Stinger did a bit of J-hook before he came to rest a bit behind Kris.

“I remember you,” Stinger said. “You were the guy that Lady Darque was seeing.”

"
For a time. What is it you want, Stinger?” Jason said.

Kris stepped aside. If things turned ugly, between these two men is not a place she wanted to be standing. “Jason...”

He blew out a sigh. “I apologize if I'm a bit short with you. I happened to very much enjoy where I was at before you called. That aside, Stinger, I would like to thank you for the assistance you rendered before.” Jason held out his hand.

Stinger looked as if Jason's hand might bite him before putting out his own. “It wasn't much, but Charley seemed to have some interest in seeing they were taken care of. Did she make it?”

Jason gave Stinger a bit of a smile. “Psistorm is fine. Thank you.”

“What I wanted to tell you, Bauer isn't giving up. He's got a game set up, if you take my meaning. He's learning to play like Lord Darque.”

"
He's set himself up as the black king?” Stinger nodded. Jason's minded swirled. Uppermost in his mind was a card he had received before printed upon with a single line from a movie.

“When objects collide there is always damage of a collateral nature.”

Jason stared at Stinger, gauging. “What's your place?”

“Off the board. Me'n Stevie don't much get along. I gave him a warning based off what happened before. I don't know what you can do or what you think you can do, but I pretty much made up my mind that I didn't want to be collateral damage when you two finally come face to face.”

Jason rinsed the knife he had been using and realized that Marlene was standing there, hair curly from the shower and a wearing a towel. “Are you okay? You seem distant.”

“I'm alright, Beautiful,” he told her. “Just have a lot of things on my mind.”

Marlene nodded. “So, what would you like me to wear?” She fished out a piece of strawberry.

“That towel looks just fine,” he said with a playful leer. Marlene grinned. “Dress comfortable. You'll be dancing later.” Jason took hold of her by her towel and pulled her into his arms and kissed her, tasting strawberry. When he broke the kiss the towel came with him. “My turn for a shower.”

Brad knocked on the door and opened it in the same motion. Charley had one foot up on the arm of the chair in her room. Her skirt was rucked up to her hip and she was smoothing the nylon covering her leg. Brad couldn't help but notice the fleur de lis tattoo that was visible near her hip. “Whoa. That's a lot of nylon. Nice ink.”

“Thank you,” she said, dropping her foot and slipping it into a waiting shoe. “It's a lot of leg. What is it you need?”

Brad missed the look of annoyance that crossed her face. “I didn't think they made that stuff in your size. Ash is loading up the van. Just thought I'd see if you were ready.”

“Or not. If you know what you're looking for, you can get anything in just about any size.”

"Huh?”

Charley smoothed her skirt and checked her reflection in a mirror. “To which part?”

“The 'or not' part. What do you mean by that?” Brad asked.

She didn't bother to look at him. She checked the back of her blouse and skirt in the mirror. “Any villains in your family?”

“Not that I know of.” Brad couldn't help but be confused.

Satisfied with how she looked, Charley caught up a shoulder bag and dropped a few pieces of makeup into it. “Right now, you're reminding me a lot of someone I don't like. This room was given to me to stay in. I can only assume that you opening the door as you knocked meant you hoped you might get a peek at something.”

Brad had the sense to look sheepish. “Sorry,” he mumbled.

“And I'll tell you the same thing I told him. Only one free show to a customer. The next one you'll pay for.”

Water poured from the multiple shower heads running down over Jason's head. His arms were braced against the wall. His eyes were closed and he was lost in thought.

Is there anything you need, Stinger?” Jason asked.

Stinger rubbed the back of his head. “I need to talk to Lady Darque. Bauer is saying that Lord Darque is allowing this game. Says that he wants retribution for the betrayal. The Lady and Charley both.”

Jason nodded his head. “That all depends on Anton. Normally he would be all over anyone that hurt her.”

Charley said she was protected by her relationship with the Lord's daughter.” Jason could hear the capitalization in Stinger's voice. “I don't think she's all that protected right now.”

I appreciate the warning. Charley is supposed to be busy all day. I can see about Angelique, if you'll give me a few moments.” Stinger nodded and Jason stepped away dialing his phone.

Stinger cocked his head at Kris and gave her a smile. “Thanks. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but he seems nice enough.”

Kris returned the smile. “He feels he owes you, Archie. You did good by him.”

She's really his sister?”

Archie, we're a family. Family isn't always blood.”

He nodded his head, sending reflected sunlight dancing from his eyes. “Never had much in the way of family myself.” They stopped talking when Jason walked back towards them. He had a note pad in hand and was writing.

She'll see you, Stinger. This,” he handed Stinger the paper he'd written on, “is the address where you'll find her. This,” he handed Stinger a business card, “is my personal number. Feel free to use it if you need anything.”

Stinger held the card and looked it over. “How long is it good for?”

Until I consider us even.” Stinger nodded at that.

Thanks. And thanks, doc. Guess I have an appointment with the Lady.”

Kris stepped up to the shorter man and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks, Archie.” Stinger hid his blush by taking to the air. Kris laughed when she saw him do a barrel roll.

How much of that did you hear?” she asked Jason.

All of it.”

So what now?”

Jason checked the time on his phone. “Reaffirmation Day. I've got a meeting with Accounting in fifteen.”

Kris grinned. “You'll be there this time?”

Yeah. I'll be there.”

“You're bound and determined that we're going to be late, aren't you?”

Jason opened his eyes and reached for the soap. “We'll make it, Marlene.”

“Should I call for the car?”

Blowing water off his face, Jason said, “Al's got his orders for the day. He'll pick us up at two.”

Jason finished his shower just as the water started to turn cold. Marlene was going through the closet, picking out clothes for him; black casual pants and she was deciding between a medium blue mock turtleneck shirt and a royal blue silk dress shirt. She had on a tight black top and a mid-length gray wrap skirt. Her legs were covered with sheer dark hose, adding a hint of shading.

“What do you think?” she asked.

Jason slipped up behind her, sliding his hand around her belly. He kissed her gently on the side of the neck. “I think you're beautiful, but I'll wear the blue one.”

Marlene laughed and turned into him. “They're both...” Jason caught her mouth with his. He took the dress shirt and hung it back up. He let his hand fall to caress her back.

“So what's gotten in to you?” she asked with a twinkle in her eye.

Jason took the shirt out of her hand and vanished it. A second flash of crimson and he was wearing it. “You,” he said simply. His pants were donned the same way.

“That's hardly fair. I actually have to put some effort into getting dressed.”

“You need shoes. He'll be here in about ten minutes. If it helps at all, I can get you undressed that way.”

Marlene looked the small collection of footwear she had available on a rack. “Had I known, I would have gotten from my apartment.” She looked over her shoulder with a smile. “If you play your cards right you can unwrap me later. What do you think I should wear?” She turned her attention back to the shoes.

“How about your black boots? The knee-high ones with the heels?” he suggested.

“That's what I was thinking, too, but I left those in my apartment,” she said with a sigh.

“These ones?”

Marlene turned around to see him holding the boots in question. “How did you do that?” she asked with a grin.

Jason shrugged. “I grabbed them yesterday before we left. I haven't seen you wear them in a while.”

Marlene sat on the edge of the bed and held one leg up to him. “I thought you liked my legs.”

He knelt and took hold of her leg. “I love you,” he said placing a kiss on the inside of her ankle.

“You're going to start something we can't finish if you keep that up.” He smiled up at her and slid the boot on her foot, taking his time with the zipper.

At precisely two o'clock they stepped out of the loft to find the limousine and Al waiting with the door open. Marlene bent low and with a smile said, “Well, this is a surprise.”

Leah awoke to an intense pounding on her door. She threw the covers back and sat up on the side of the bed. “Enough already. I'm awake. Open.” The door slid open to Trese and Dani.

Dani looked at her. “You're just now getting out of bed?”

Wiping sleep from her eyes, Leah said, “I didn't sleep very well.”

Trese and Dani shared a glance. “Nightmares?” Dani asked.

Leah shook her head. “Uh uh,” she mumbled with a yawn. “Just bad dreams. I wouldn't call them nightmares. What time is it?”

After two,” Trese said. “Is this what you pulled out to wear today?” she asked indicating the clothes Leah had laying on her chair.

Leah pulled her sleep shirt off and dropped it on the floor. “Yeah. How much time we got?” She headed towards the bathroom.

Ash is loading up the van. Her, Charley, Brad, Lisa and Jenny. I figured I'd drive me and Trese. Charley is either riding shotgun, which will put the passenger seat back to the bench, or she'll be in the first bench with her legs vying for space under the dash. Either way she takes up a lot of room.”

I'll drive,” Trese said.

Dani gave her an annoyed look. “Why you?”

Because my Mustang has a back seat.” She checked the time on Leah's clock. “Ash.”

Yeah?” came the response from the intercom.

Leah just woke up. She's in the shower. Go ahead and take off. We'll catch up in my car,” Trese said.

All right.”

All right,” Ash said. “Let's get going.”

Jenny and Lisa climbed in the very last seat. “I'll drive,” Brad said.

Considering what happened the last time you drove? I don't think so. Besides,” Ash jangled the keys in her hand, “I've already got the keys.”

Dibs on shotgun, then.”

Charley stepped up to the passenger side and levered the seat as far back as she could. “'Shotgun'? Isn't that like riding on the luggage rack?”

Come on,” he complained. “Why am I riding with a bunch of women anyways?”

Ash stared at him hard. “Honestly? Because you were hoping that you could get Leah to where the girls are. Because, knowing Warren, he's already at the cemetery. Because Jason stayed in the loft with Marlene last night. And because Kaneda got called out early and made it clear that he probably wouldn't show today. If you don't want to go, that's your business. If going with 'a bunch of women' bothers you, fly.” She climbed in behind the wheel and pulled the door behind her. The engine turned over easily. “Otherwise get in and quit complaining.” Brad closed Charley's door and walked around to climb in behind Ash.

Warren waited. When he had finished with Cheryl's grave he had run to the store. Four votive cups and candles later, he ran to a florist for four roses. The full four this year, instead of three, like the last two years. If only Jason shows.

He heard tires rolling over gravel and saw Ash pulling the van up the narrow lane. She pulled off onto the grass to park. Warren moved and opened the door for Charley, offering her his hand. “Ever the gentleman,” she said, accepting his help.

“One tries,” he said to her with a shallow bow. He opened the side door and helped Jenny and Lisa out, with a “Ladies,” in greeting. Brad exited the van and slid the door closed behind him. He walked around the van and took up space by his sister.

“Thanks, Brad,” Ash said, opening her own door. Warren cast a look around and raised a questioning eyebrow at Ash. “Leah overslept.” They heard the green Mustang's engine roar. “In fact, here they come now.”

Out of the corner of his eye, Warren saw Jenny elbow Brad in the ribs. “Uh, Warren? This is my sister, Jenny.” Warren shook her hand with another greeting. “And this is Lisa Sheffield.” She waved and smiled. Warren cocked his head in greeting with a smile.

“Wow,” Lisa said quietly. “I never realized how it would actually look to see her fly.” Warren turned to see Kris land lightly near the grave marker. “She's so...”

“'Graceful'?” Warren supplied.

“Yeah. She's beautiful.”

Trese, Leah and Dani joined the group, and they all walked slowly towards the grave. Warren easily slid his arm around Leah. “You okay?”

Leah nodded. “Just didn't sleep very well. How's Kate?”

“Wishing she were here,” he replied with a smile. “I hope Jason shows.”

“He'll be here,” Kris said. “He told me he would earlier. Charley, I had a visitor at the hospital. Archie wants to talk to you.”

“Did he say what it was about?” the tall woman asked.

“Yes. Jason sent him off to talk to Angelique.”

Charley winced. “I can imagine what it's about, then. Thanks.”

Warren glanced at his watch. “It's almost three.”

“Getting antsy?” Ash teased.

Warren gave her a joking smile in reply. “You try living in a world that insists on moving in slow motion.”

“Why three?” Jenny asked.

Kris said, “We'll explain things when Jason gets here, Jenny. There's not a lot of secrets. Just everything in its place and time.”

Once again Warren turned at the sound of gravel crunching. “Think that's him?”

“Who else would it be, Warren?” Ash asked him. She noticed him shifting his weight from foot to foot. “You all right?”

“Yeah. There's something I need to do when Jason gets here, and I'm not sure how well he'll receive it,” he said quietly.

The black limousine pulled up at the head of the short line of vehicles and pulled off the gravel. Al, in suit and cap, opened the back door. Jason stepped out into the sunshine and held his hand out to assist Marlene. After Marlene, he helped Emily Devereaux out, and then her daughter, Stacy.

Warren started walking towards Jason, and after a moment, Dani followed. “Hi, Emily,” Warren said. “I was worried you weren't going to show again. Jason, can I talk with you?”

Marlene looked at Jason. “No reason not to show,” he said to Warren. “You go on ahead,” he said to Marlene. “We'll be there momentarily.”

“Hey, Stacy,” Dani said the younger girl.

Stacy smiled. “You're here too? Jason said we might learn some things.”

Dani looked at Jason, who merely shrugged. “No, Stacy. I belong here. Come on with everyone else.” Everyone went, leaving Warren and Jason alone.

Warren watched Jason. He could tell, behind the sunglasses, that Jason's attention was not on him. “Want to walk?”

“Whatever is good for you.”

Kris was right, Warren thought. They set to walking together. “You all right? You seem distracted.”

Jason quirked a smile without really looking at Warren. “I'm fine. I just have a lot of things on my mind. What's on yours?”

“A couple of things. I wanted to apologize for going off on you about Kate. You couldn't have known that would happen. I had forgotten that your link with her was what let you know she was in trouble the night that...”

“She's safe, Warren,” Jason said quietly. “That was what mattered. Then and now.”

“I know. I also wanted to apologize to you about going off on you about your personal life. Who you see, who you sleep with isn't any of my business.”

Jason stopped and something in the sky caught his attention for a moment. “None of them.”

“What?” Warren asked, not understanding.

“I didn't sleep with any of them. Not in the limo. Not at home. Not in the office. I slept with Leah. I slept with Angelique. Now I sleep with Marlene.” Jason looked weary to Warren.

“Why didn't you say anything about when I went off on you?”

“You were kind of caught up in your righteous indignation,” Jason said half-jokingly. “You weren't interested in listening.”

Warren shrugged. “Still, it wasn't any of my business.”

“Warren, you're my brother. Through blood and battle and choice and...” he looked at the grave marker, “and death. You're my best friend. If I can't trust you to tell me when you think I'm making a mistake, then who can I trust?”

Warren nodded his head. “Okay. Then sleeping with Angelique was a mistake.”

This time Jason shrugged. “Maybe at first.”

“Was that one of those 'investing in people' things your grandfather taught you?” Jason shrugged again in response. Their walk led them back towards the grave marker and their friends. “If you die again and endanger my wife, I'm going to kick your ass for it. Kate would like it... I'd like it if you would be there when my son is born.”

Jason nodded. “If it's at all possible I'll be there.” Jason stepped beside Marlene and slipped his hand into hers.

“Well,” everyone's attention turned to Ash, “some of you want to know why. Why we do what we do.” She looked at Jenny. “Some of you want to know why three.” Ash stood behind the grave marker and wiped her hand across the top of it. There were no dates on it. Simply five lines:

Cheryl Anne Danforth

A Friend

A Lover

A Reason

A Promise

“Each of us has our own reasons for doing what we do. Some because we have a sense of responsibility to use our gifts to help others. Some do it because of a sense of guilt.” Jason dropped his head for a moment. “Some do it because they feel that they have something to prove.” Brad flushed with embarrassment. “Each one of us has a reason that drives us.

“As a team, the reason the Guardians exist, is right here. Some consider what we do a game. Like cops and robbers. It can be seen that way, as long as you never forget how high the stakes are that you're playing for.”

Charley looked around at the four. “And this is what your Reaffirmation Day is? A memorial?”

“After a fashion,” Ash answered her. “Three o'clock on this day, every year. It was the day we buried her.”

Lisa shook her head. “Who was she?”

“She was a friend,” Kris said. “More than that to one of us. In a lot of ways she was the fifth member of the Guardians.”

Jason squeezed Marlene's hand a little tighter. “And she was the worst mistake we made in the beginning. She was a member of Wildfire.”

“She was our liaison with them,” Warren said. “We would often work with them. Same as we do with the police. Cheryl was... she was something special. Even among us.”

“And we come here to remember her and to hope and pray that we never make a similar mistake,” Ash said.

“How did she die?” Leah asked.

“She was shot,” Warren said quietly. “She was used as bait. The trap closed before we could get her out. I got to her in time to hold her as she died.”

“Who did it?” she asked him.

“You know who, Leah,” Jason said somberly.

“Spears?” Jason nodded in answer. “That's why... I never realized. Oh, god,” she said on the verge of tears. “Why? Why didn't somebody get to him before?”

“Dan wanted proof. Not supposition,” Ash said. “Knowing something is true and being able to prove it,” she shrugged, “not a lot we could do. So Dan decided to start feeding him information.”

“I'm sorry, Jason,” she said in a whisper.

Jason shook his head. “No, Leah. I'm sorry I failed you.” More guilt settled on his shoulders.

Warren handed Kris a rose. She smiled at him by way of thanks. She knelt down and slipped the stem of the rose through a hole in a votive cup holder. She held up a match towards Dani. “Do you mind?” Dani shook her head and for a moment her eyes flamed and the match ignited. Stacy jumped when it did. Kris lit the candle in the holder where she had put the rose. “I still miss you, my friend,” she said quietly.

While Kris did her thing, Warren handed a rose to Ash and Jason, holding one back for himself. When Kris moved away he stepped up and knelt down. He, too, slipped the rose stem through a waiting hole. He lit his own match off Kris's candle. “Another year without you. If Kate is right and we have a girl I'm giving her your middle name. I'm pretty sure Kate already has a first name picked out.”

Ash looked at Jason, who shrugged his shoulders, then she stepped up to the place Warren had vacated. “We're still here, Cheryl. Still holding the line.”

When Ash had finished and moved away, Jason stood silently for a time, simply staring at the grave marker. He had turned the rose in his hand so that a thorn was buried deep into one of his fingers. Slowly he took a step forward. Marlene came with him. He slipped the rose into place and lit the waiting candle. When he spoke only Marlene could hear him. “I broke the pact, Cheryl.” The blood that had welled up on his finger he used to color the dot over the “i” in “promise”. “I'm sorry. It won't happen again.”

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...