Looking For Input On Potential New Fantasy Product

Jason S.Walters

Re: Looking For Input On Potential New Fantasy Product

In my opinion:

Going with option 2, the INcomplete Fantasy Hero will limit your market to those who already have Champions Complete or some other form of the core rules. The only other people who buy it will be those who did not notice the blurb saying it's not a complete game, and they will be angry customers who badmouth Hero to their friends. "Fantasy gamer buys Incomplete Fantasy product and then buys Champions Complete to be able to use it" is a scenario that is not going to happen.

So if you do this at all, I don't think it's worth doing unless you do Complete Fantasy - or whatever you call it, you will need just one book to play. Of course it should be taillored to Fantasy exclusively: rename the Paramedics Skill, cut Skills and Powers that don't fit, add some good Talents, etc.

That said, this may not be the right time to do this AT ALL. Narosia is currently offering exactly that, a complete game based on Hero, and my advice is to not directly compete with them right now. I also advise not viewing Narosia as too reliable a predictor in terms of sales and popularity, but I'd said wait at least six months if not a year.

I spent New Years Eve runnng Fantasy Hero for my game group, and they love it by the way. I asked them (3 people) about this issue, and the consensus is the same as I have been saying - zero interest in a "you gotta buy Champions Complete first" version, but something complete in one book might stand a chance "if it's simple to understand."

More later

Lucius Alexander

The biggest problem with the Game rules included books is that once you get finished including all of the rules. There is little to no space left for anything that resembles campaign info. let alone spells, smallish bestiary etc. That's why the originally decided to go with the Rules in one book and Genre books in another book model. I don't know how many times new customers are going to want to buy the core rules over and over again.

Perhaps if there's a larger page budget given to the FHC book so there CAN be more than just the rules and a smattering of Campaign Book.

I guess I don't see much of a point unless there's something in FHC that's a LOT more than just the Hero System Rules tailored to Fantasy.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion:

Going with option 2, the INcomplete Fantasy Hero will limit your market to those who already have Champions Complete or some other form of the core rules. The only other people who buy it will be those who did not notice the blurb saying it's not a complete game, and they will be angry customers who badmouth Hero to their friends. "Fantasy gamer buys Incomplete Fantasy product and then buys Champions Complete to be able to use it" is a scenario that is not going to happen.

So if you do this at all, I don't think it's worth doing unless you do Complete Fantasy - or whatever you call it, you will need just one book to play. Of course it should be taillored to Fantasy exclusively: rename the Paramedics Skill, cut Skills and Powers that don't fit, add some good Talents, etc.

That said, this may not be the right time to do this AT ALL. Narosia is currently offering exactly that, a complete game based on Hero, and my advice is to not directly compete with them right now. I also advise not viewing Narosia as too reliable a predictor in terms of sales and popularity, but I'd said wait at least six months if not a year.

I spent New Years Eve runnng Fantasy Hero for my game group, and they love it by the way. I asked them (3 people) about this issue, and the consensus is the same as I have been saying - zero interest in a "you gotta buy Champions Complete first" version, but something complete in one book might stand a chance "if it's simple to understand."

More later

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says I'm out of tim

HERO System can be very intimidating. There has been lots of good presentational touches that make it less so (e.g. the presentation of talents in the 6E core rules, special abilities in Pulp Hero, and the spells in the Grimoire). Bringing those together for Fantasy HERO would make it more playable straight from the book. May be consider simplifying monster stat blocks too.

I don't know how many times new customers are going to want to buy the core rules over and over again.

How many times are new customers going to want to buy the core rules over and over again? As I see it, that's a multiple choice question:

A. Once

B. Never

I think "Once" is a preferable answer to "Never." If the only core rules available are Champions Complete, I think that for a lot of gamers, the answer will be "Never."

I guess I don't see much of a point unless there's something in FHC that's a LOT more than just the Hero System Rules tailored to Fantasy.

The point is to get people who already play fantasy role playing games to try a Hero fanasy role playing game, and hopefully at least some of them would go on to buy other Hero fantasy products. As opposed to these same potential customers never purchasing any Hero products whatsoever, which is what I expect to happen if Hero Games puts out an INcomplete Fantasy Hero.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says we're hoping at least one of Lucius' players who already has an account here will come online to weigh in.

I don't know how many times new customers are going to want to buy the core rules over and over again.

That assumes that a new customer will be interested in HERO for both supers and fantasy, at least out of the gate. We're reading and hearing anecdotal evidence that at least some gamers, even HERO veterans, don't use the system for both. Certainly the discussion we've been having is how best to bring in new gamers, and that many of those look for a good fantasy game, not a good generic game.

Of course the hope is that once they get a taste of HERO, they'll want to expand their gaming experience to other genres. If they already have the essential rules in the Fantasy book, and they don't feel a need for genre advice, they'd be able to use any of the 6E supplements for another genre. If they are committed enough to also want the genre advice in Champions Complete, if the rules have been edited/tailored for each genre as discussed earlier on this thread, hopefully they'll feel they're getting enough of a new experience.

That reminds me, I suggested in a previous post that the detailed fantasy genre, magic system and world-building advice from 6E Fantasy Hero could go into a "Companion"-style book supplementary to FH Complete. Would it be practical to put the more detailed genre and campaigning advice from 6E Champions that isn't in CC into a supplement, perhaps as a PDF?

The biggest problem with the Game rules included books is that once you get finished including all of the rules.

Also, it doesn't have to be "all of the rules." For example, Knockback: You can cut it out completely. Vehicle and Base rules: useful for fantasy, but not essential, you can leave them out entirely or just mention the books (Champions Complete, Hero System Basic, or Hero System 6E Vol1) that have those rules if a player really wants them. What has to be there is just enough of the rules to play a fantasy game. If there is ever an expansion for fantasy, it can include those rules and the Advantage: Does Knockback (I see it useful for some spells, some magic weapons, perhaps attacks like a giant's club.)

Here's another example of something to leave out, and of making it easier to understand. I gave one of my players Champions Complete to look at. She turned to Character Creation, because that's the first thing she looks at in a new game, and on the third paragraph, "Taking Less Than The Full Amount," said she was already confused and turned off. "What's a 'unit?'"

Let me contrast that with the other game we all regularly play, Trin'Dar. In the section on Experience, among other things one can spend XP on in Trin'Dar, one can buy 5 Hit Points for 1 XP or buy 5 Spell Points for 1 XP. Can you spend 1 XP and get 2 HP and 3 Spell Points? I dunno. It's not forbidden, but not even mentioned. Certainly there's nothing about spending 1 XP and getting less than 5 of either because you just didn't want to take that many. If it ever comes up, it will be up to whoever is running that particular game.

Given how seldom it's likely to come up - how many gamers are ever likely to deliberately take less than all they could get for the points they spend? - that paragraph doesn't need to be there at all. "Complete" should mean "can run the game on this one book" but shouldn't mean "includes rules for every eventuality and corner case and oddball situation." Realistically it CAN'T be complete in that sense, and shouldn't try.

1st Edition Champions had END at 1 pt for 2 pts of END, and COM the same. I saw a lot of characters with 13 COM and the extra half pt spent on END. I wouldn't be surprised if most of you never saw any such thing, and it was explicitly forbidden later, but it did no harm - at worst, someone taking a character to a game where whoever was running had ruled against that, would have to move half a point from one to the other. Some things can be left to the discretion of individual gaming groups. And in my experience, gamers are more tolerant of ambiguities or unaddressed situations that require judgment calls, than they are of too much complexity or an overabundance of rules.

Speaking of earlier editions, 1st Edition Fantasy Hero was complete in this sense, and had room for monsters, a magic system, sample spells, sample magic items, 3 complete characters ready to play, PLUS a whole starting adventure, all in one book - we know it can be done, they already did it once!

Lucius Alexander

It doesn't need rules for palindromedaries.

"Complete" should mean "can run the game on this one book" but shouldn't mean "includes rules for every eventuality and corner case and oddball situation." Realistically it CAN'T be complete in that sense, and shouldn't try.

regrettably this thought seldom occurs to most Hero writers.

I've held off on commenting on this until now, but my vote is very solidly for Fantasy Hero Complete. I don't see what is to be gained from forcing new players to go buy a superhero book in order to play fantasy. 1st ed FH proved that you can put the entire game in one book, so let's do that. Especially since Hero has always had the problem of being perceived as a supers ruleset shoehorned into other genres.

My vision for FH Complete would be to provide the minimum required for impulse buyers to start playing FH immediately, and still be a complete game. If that requires stripping out perks, talents, and even powers, so be it. (I can't remember ever using Tunneling in 25 years of Hero gaming.) It would have to include ready-to-run characters and an introductory scenario, and a brief list of standard spells. It will probably have to be vaguely tailored to a specific setting--I'd pick Tuala Morn--but still be able to work with generic fantasy once the serial numbers are filed off. I'd consider defining specific spells from other systems in the standard spell list, such as Cure Wounds and Fire Sphere, to ease the conversion process.

Industry insiders may say that large numbers of new gamers for HERO to tap into may not be there--but we should try anyway. And there are plenty of RPG gamers from other systems to plunder besides. FH1 didn't get me into gaming, but it did get me into Hero, and once here I have never looked back.

Ah, good. I consider this to be the minimum, but in this case the minimum is probably OK. Hero Games seems to have built up quite a bit of art over the years.

I knew that. However, I still feel any target page count is penny wise and pound foolish. It's all about the product, and I'm concerned that some mediocre products from Hero are shrinking its customer base. It'd be better to run a Kickstarter to pay for those extra 60 pages and make a better product than it would be to allow subpar product chase away more potential customers.

If you can make a *great* product in 240 pages, fine. But the emphasis needs to be on making a *great* product, and then figuring out how to finance it second.

I'd be less worried about page count and more worried about keeping the price down to where it might be an impulse buy. That probably means black and white softcover, but I also want to stress the importance of art and layout in the book. Hero books have almost totally ignored this for all of recorded history, reaching its nadir with the 5th ed. Grimoire, which looked like a Word document I'd see in a government office. Art and borders and headings are all critical to establishing the mood and 'feel' for the game. It has to look like something you'd want to read, and it's going to be sitting on the shelf next to some really gorgeous Pathfinder books.

Seriously, one easy way to tackle this project would be to take 1st ed. FH, update it to 6th, and make it pretty. I'd buy that. Some powers, advantages, and disadvantages will have to come out, and the entries for all of them will have to be cut down and renamed for fantasy. But the silver lining there is reducing complexity and intimidation for new players.

1) Make the Dungeon Hero Complete book complete and edit to sound like a Fantasy book' date=' not a reprint of a superhero book (If I never heard of Champions and use Dungeon Hero Complete to play a campaign I should be surprised when I discoverer that Dungeon Hero Complete uses the same concepts and rules as Champions Complete. That realization should be a "wow this is cool" moment). [/quote']

Like the reaction I get when I tell fans of Call of Cthulhu that they're playing a system that started out as the rules for RuneQuest.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says no, that's more a reaction of incredulity

Lucius, you make lots of good points that I can't really disagree with. My personal preference is different, but I'm only one data point and I might not be the target audience anyway.

That reminds me, I suggested in a previous post that the detailed fantasy genre, magic system and world-building advice from 6E Fantasy Hero could go into a "Companion"-style book supplementary to FH Complete. Would it be practical to put the more detailed genre and campaigning advice from 6E Champions that isn't in CC into a supplement, perhaps as a PDF?

This might end up being the best of both worlds, in fact for Champions as well.

Another example of how I'd like to see Complete Fantasy cut word count and enhance comprehension:

Either

Include Growth and Shrinking and possibly Density Increase, and explain that large and small creatures can have those Powers 0 END, Persistant, Always On, and leave the Size Templates out,

Or

Include the Size Templates in the section with other Templates, and note that a spell, potion, etc. that causes size change can be bought as those Characteristics and Powers with appropriate Limitations, as part of a general point that applies to all Templates - a Potion of Heroism for example could apply the Fighter Template temporarily, even to someone who already has that Template (They'd get an additional +5 STR, +1 Level with All Combat, etc.) Complications that come with a temporary Template would either be part of a Side Effects style Limitation, or to keep things simple allow a Template-as-Power to be bought with a Base Cost based on Total Points - Complications. Growth, Shrinking, and Density Increase, would not be included.

Reluctantly, I think the second option might be preferable despite my usual bias for the first.

My personal preference is different, but I'm only one data point and I might not be the target audience anyway.

Yeah, I personally like Growth: Always On and found it hard to admit that, at least for this product, using Size Templates might work better. in any case, it should be one or the other to make it consistent and save space.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Template

Rep for Old Man and Lucius (must spread...) for the well-considered posts on this.

Updating FH 1st edition really captures what I envisioned when Jason first started this thread.

Based on my own experience, I think the non-Hero Faithful are more likely to buy the all-in-one game than having to buy multiple volumes just to be a player and try it out. And I noted in my earlier post that I felt that brand confusion could arise, which others have since brought up as well.

All IMHO of course.

And for the sake of all that's good in gaming, go back to an explanation of Complications that's easy to understand! Come out and say upfront in the Character Creation part that the recommended points for (whatever given level of play) are (so many base points you get "for free") plus (UP TO this many more for Complications.) You have to get halfway through Champions Complete to find out that the maximum isn't actually mandatory!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has heard me say that the way Characters Points are discussed in 6th Edition is like trying to talk about Accounting if you have a taboo on ever mentioning Owner's Equity

And for the sake of all that's good in gaming, go back to an explanation of Complications that's easy to understand! Come out and say upfront in the Character Creation part that the recommended points for (whatever given level of play) are (so many base points you get "for free") plus (UP TO this many more for Complications.) You have to get halfway through Champions Complete to find out that the maximum isn't actually mandatory!

A thousand times yes!

I'd be less worried about page count and more worried about keeping the price down to where it might be an impulse buy. That probably means black and white softcover' date=' but I also want to stress the importance of art and layout in the book.[/quote']

I completely agree! I just seized on page count as the single most arbitrary "shewt yerself in the foot" metric that was presented. Nice artwork and spiffy layouts should be used if at all possible.

I honestly don't see why Kickstarter can't be used to help defray these costs. Unless Kickstarter was going to be used anyway, then I can see the focus on getting the minimum needed for a book first. But I was hoping that HG was going to pay for the base costs like Champions Complete, and Kickstarter could be used to add "extras" to the book, like artwork, nicer layout, more writing for background stuff, etc.

I've held off on commenting on this until now, but my vote is very solidly for Fantasy Hero Complete. I don't see what is to be gained from forcing new players to go buy a superhero book in order to play fantasy. 1st ed FH proved that you can put the entire game in one book, so let's do that. Especially since Hero has always had the problem of being perceived as a supers ruleset shoehorned into other genres.

My vision for FH Complete would be to provide the minimum required for impulse buyers to start playing FH immediately, and still be a complete game. If that requires stripping out perks, talents, and even powers, so be it. (I can't remember ever using Tunneling in 25 years of Hero gaming.) It would have to include ready-to-run characters and an introductory scenario, and a brief list of standard spells. It will probably have to be vaguely tailored to a specific setting--I'd pick Tuala Morn--but still be able to work with generic fantasy once the serial numbers are filed off. I'd consider defining specific spells from other systems in the standard spell list, such as Cure Wounds and Fire Sphere, to ease the conversion process.

Industry insiders may say that large numbers of new gamers for HERO to tap into may not be there--but we should try anyway. And there are plenty of RPG gamers from other systems to plunder besides. FH1 didn't get me into gaming, but it did get me into Hero, and once here I have never looked back.

If they DO have the rules with the system, then include enough stuff that a GM could pick it up from the shelf. Get 4 -6 players together and start playing with a minimum of fuss. I know we all love to make stuff, but having to build each stinking spell, monster etc is one reason that many GM's will refuse to run Fantasy Hero. There really needs to be enough there to be playable without much GM work. That's why I mentioned a Default Campaign, spells, Classes, Races, Monsters etc. The thing needs to be pretty self contained. It's can't be just the toolbox like Champions Complete is. If a newbie GM opens a Fantasy Hero Complete and then realizes that there's nothing there more than Armor, Weapons, a few spells, a monster and nothing more. The darned thing will go right back on their shelf never to be played again. If you want to attract players away from D&D you have to make it as easy to run and play as D&D.

Yeah, I do realize that cutting stuff out of the rules is a given. Computer Programing in a High Fantasy Game world makes no sense. Though in a Steampunk Fantasy World perhaps it makes more sense. System Operation could be replaced with Scrying. A number of PS's and KS's relating to Fantasy could be listed. A List of languages for the barely detailed campaign that's included could be there too (along with that fun relational chart for those languages).

1st Ed FH isn't much to aspire to. It didn't have much to it beyond the rules. There were few Spells included, few monsters, Less than a dozen NPC's including the Sample party of Adventurers.

Another example of how I'd like to see Complete Fantasy cut word count and enhance comprehension:

Either

Include Growth and Shrinking and possibly Density Increase, and explain that large and small creatures can have those Powers 0 END, Persistant, Always On, and leave the Size Templates out,

Or

Include the Size Templates in the section with other Templates, and note that a spell, potion, etc. that causes size change can be bought as those Characteristics and Powers with appropriate Limitations, as part of a general point that applies to all Templates - a Potion of Heroism for example could apply the Fighter Template temporarily, even to someone who already has that Template (They'd get an additional +5 STR, +1 Level with All Combat, etc.) Complications that come with a temporary Template would either be part of a Side Effects style Limitation, or to keep things simple allow a Template-as-Power to be bought with a Base Cost based on Total Points - Complications. Growth, Shrinking, and Density Increase, would not be included.

Reluctantly, I think the second option might be preferable despite my usual bias for the first.

Yeah, I personally like Growth: Always On and found it hard to admit that, at least for this product, using Size Templates might work better. in any case, it should be one or the other to make it consistent and save space.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Template

I never minded growth always on, but Shrinking always on made small weak animals VERY expensive for no real good reason.

After reading what Spence had to say, I am 100% on board with Fantasy Hero Complete. I think it's very important to get new customers and customers that will play the game. Since it's difficult to find Hero players in many areas, getting new people on board with it is crucial.

Very well put, Spence. I really liked your post.

You know, I totally missed Spence's post from two pages back. Had I seen that I could probably have just said "+1" and saved myself some time. :)

If they DO have the rules with the system' date=' then include enough stuff that a GM could pick it up from the shelf. Get 4 -6 players together and start playing with a minimum of fuss. I know we all love to make stuff, but having to build each stinking spell, monster etc is one reason that many GM's will refuse to run Fantasy Hero. There really needs to be enough there to be playable without much GM work. That's why I mentioned a Default Campaign, spells, Classes, Races, Monsters etc. The thing needs to be pretty self contained. It's can't be just the toolbox like Champions Complete is. If a newbie GM opens a Fantasy Hero Complete and then realizes that there's nothing there more than Armor, Weapons, a few spells, a monster and nothing more. The darned thing will go right back on their shelf never to be played again. If you want to attract players away from D&D you have to make it as easy to run and play as D&D.[/quote']

+1. (That was easy.)

I'm proud of my fellow HERO gamers for all their thoughtful' date=' respectful, positive contributions to this discussion. Most other forums would have descended to personal attacks by now.[/quote']

Dork. :winkgrin:

Given there is no "rules with no genre" rulebook (like Basic RP for Call of Cthulhu, to hit Lucius' point) and probably can't be, FHC seems like the compromise.

Another possibility would be a fantasy game that's "powered by Hero system", but doesn't include the builds. This would change the character building rules section a lot. We'd have characteristics and skills, of course. But then we'd have powers (talents, superskills, spells, what have you) without the build, and without the building blocks to construct them. Probably Race and profession archetypes as well They would be constructed under the Hero rules, but the builds would not be detailed, just the effects. And they would be specific to this Fantasy setting. You'd still get your point budget and buy these abilities, but you would not be able to design your own.

A web link on the builds themselves would be nice (JUST the build - no fluff text or explanation so you buy the book if you want the context), and the book would presumably note that the Hero System Rules, presently available in Champions Complete, would tell the reader how to build their own spells, talents, etc.

ADVANTAGE: More space for the specific fantasy builds (be they monsters, spells, talents, whatever).

DRAWBACK: No "complete rules"; no "build it yourself" guidance.

I'm not sure which would be better, but a "powered by Hero" fantasy game seems more playable out of the box, a goal many have espoused over the years as an entry level Hero product. Demand for the broader rules outside a Supers game would indicate a need for a Hero Rules Complete product.

If they DO have the rules with the system' date=' then include enough stuff that a GM could pick it up from the shelf. Get 4 -6 players together and start playing with a minimum of fuss. I know we all love to make stuff, but having to build each stinking spell, monster etc is one reason that many GM's will refuse to run Fantasy Hero. There really needs to be enough there to be playable without much GM work. That's why I mentioned a Default Campaign, spells, Classes, Races, Monsters etc.[/quote']

I do agree with this. Publish a game, not a rulebook or "project." (A project is like a car you buy that the previous owner tore apart to "fix" it. You pay money for it, then you have to do a lot of work before you can enjoy it.)

I think I could get behind Fantasy Hero Abridged. Publish fewer rules, a reduced set designed to work with a fantasy game. Then devote the rest of the book to setting, pre-builds (including spells), NPCs/monsters, and maybe a map or two.

Given there is no "rules with no genre" rulebook (like Basic RP for Call of Cthulhu, to hit Lucius' point) and probably can't be, FHC seems like the compromise.

Another possibility would be a fantasy game that's "powered by Hero system", but doesn't include the builds. This would change the character building rules section a lot. We'd have characteristics and skills, of course. But then we'd have powers (talents, superskills, spells, what have you) without the build, and without the building blocks to construct them. Probably Race and profession archetypes as well They would be constructed under the Hero rules, but the builds would not be detailed, just the effects. And they would be specific to this Fantasy setting. You'd still get your point budget and buy these abilities, but you would not be able to design your own.

A web link on the builds themselves would be nice (JUST the build - no fluff text or explanation so you buy the book if you want the context), and the book would presumably note that the Hero System Rules, presently available in Champions Complete, would tell the reader how to build their own spells, talents, etc.

ADVANTAGE: More space for the specific fantasy builds (be they monsters, spells, talents, whatever).

DRAWBACK: No "complete rules"; no "build it yourself" guidance.

I'm not sure which would be better, but a "powered by Hero" fantasy game seems more playable out of the box, a goal many have espoused over the years as an entry level Hero product. Demand for the broader rules outside a Supers game would indicate a need for a Hero Rules Complete product.

I actually thought about that, while I posted my last bit. I would be worried a bit about new players/gms complaining about bait and switch if there's only prebuilt stuff and we refer to Champions Complete for the rules on HOW to build new stuff. OTOH I have complained for years about how the Heroic Genre Games spend too much time on points. That having to buy weapons and Armor as point constructs sends the wrong message about how Hero works for the Heroic genre games.

It may be best for the 'Take it off the shelf and play" feel for FHC or Dungeon Hero to not include the power construction rules. Perhaps people would focus more on what the spell does and not the effects that make up the spell.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. Include a TON of spells, Fighting abilities/talents, assume the default Game world would be a D&D style high adventuring fantasy.