Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kaze9999

Mythic Hero revival? I hear things...

Okay, not trying to start any rumors, but Steve has mentioned here and there that he's doing some work still on Mythic Hero. Will there be another Kick Starter to complete and or print it? Or is there any concrete plan for publishing it that it would not be premature to share?

Well, never say never. ;) I am considering trying another Kickstarter to get the book funded, in the hopes that KS has become even better known, more people are inclined to use it, etc., and that therefore I could attract enough pledges to succeed this time.

For the time being, though, I have no specific plans. I'm working on MH steadily, but at this point with no concrete plans other than enjoying the work. It's my "spare time fun project," so to speak.

I would absolutely love to publish the book, and better yet somehow get enough money that I could afford to do so according to my most grandiose visions. ;) But at this point the book's going to be so large that even publishing it in basic B&W will be something of a feat. But the enthusiasm of fans like y'all keeps me dreaming. :)

But at this point the book's going to be so large that even publishing it in basic B&W will be something of a feat. But the enthusiasm of fans like y'all keeps me dreaming. :)

Have you considered making the book a series instead, Steve? Maybe smaller books concentrating on specific or regional mythologies, with a vast collected edition offered when the final issue is printed?

But at this point the book's going to be so large that even publishing it in basic B&W will be something of a feat. But the enthusiasm of fans like y'all keeps me dreaming. :)

Have you considered making the book a series instead, Steve? Maybe smaller books concentrating on specific or regional mythologies, with a vast collected edition offered when the final issue is printed?

This has been asked and answered at least a dozen times. He wants to do a single book.

Steve, I've been following the Pathfinder Freeport KS, which is looking for $50k for a 512 colour to be printed in HC, and they've got a bit over a week and under $30k. Sad to say, but the wait may be a while longer. Still, I'd back another run for Mythic Hero.

Well, how about a single smaller book, so as to get it to a less painful price point?

How do you propose making it smaller Ranxerox?

Cover fewer pantheons. Steve's original list for this book was quite extensive. He could drop a third of them and still give a good assortment.

Yes, I have, and I've rejected it absolutely. If I'm going to do MH, I'm gonna do it the way I wanna do it, which is one big ol' book. ;)

Even if that weren't my feeling on the issue, splitting MH into multiple books significantly increases the monetary costs involved, the logistical and administrative burdens, and the drain on my time. I'd rather just go for one big bite at the apple. ;)

Well, how about a single smaller book, so as to get it to a less painful price point?

I appreciate the suggestion, and again it's something I've considered. But again, it's something I've rejected. I want this book to be as comprehensive as I can make it; that's part of the enjoyment of creating it for me. Cutting pantheons, particularly the lesser-known ones that most gamers have never been exposed to, defeats one of the book's main purposes.

Steve, I've been following the Pathfinder Freeport KS, which is looking for $50k for a 512 colour to be printed in HC, and they've got a bit over a week and under $30k. Sad to say, but the wait may be a while longer.

That's certainly one data point to consider. OTOH, most of the Freeport material is available in some form or another (I believe), which may discourage some backers. MH at least has the virtue of being unique on the modern market (again AFAIK).

Not to mention the fact that Green Ronin seems perpetually able to pull rabbits out of hats. The Freeport KS hasn't failed yet.

Are you averse to dividing it up into volumes?

Volume 1 - Europe

Volume 2 - The Americas

Yes, I am. For one thing, that's just not my "vision" for the project. For another, it increases the risk of inconsistencies. For a third, it increases my workload and expenses.

So I'd rather stick to my preferred method of "one big ol' book." ;)

Not to mention the fact that Green Ronin seems perpetually able to pull rabbits out of hats. The Freeport KS hasn't failed yet.

With 70 hours to go, it's 98% of the way there. Looks like a lot of folks have kicked in recently, and it should make it, if not by a huge amount.

It, of course, succeeded, as I expected weeks ago.

Meanwhile, I am continuing work on my Egyptian mythology chapter. ;) I'd say it's at least 90% done, but I have a lot of books yet to get through as I look for the useful little details that will really set each chapter of MH apart from the competition. :D

Just a quick update for those interested in such things: I have declared the Egyptian Mythology chapter more or less "finished." It ended up being about 26,000 words long, making it the fourth or fifth longest chapter so far. The book as a whole is approaching 250,000 words and is nowhere near being finished. O.o

Next up: Yoruban Mythology! On deck: Japanese Mythology, because a friend's daughter put in a special request. ;)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get this one up on Kickstarter again, and that it makes it this time. This is a project I really, really want to see happen.

Did you manage anything on Eastern Bantu mythology? My wife's tribe, the Kikuyu, is traditionally monotheistic, and believe Ngai (God) lives on Mount Kenya, or at least visits it regularly - though these days, most are Christian.