HERO System Kickstarter Wishlists

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 2,038 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

This is to give ideals on what you would like to see for the next HERO System Kickstarter books, both from the company AND from third parties.

As you can tell from my spelling, I am not a sutible canadate for writing any of this stuff. So I leave my ideals to be developed by better men.

Wish List Item #1: Profit And Purity
Let's get this long suffering and waiting supliment on ARGENT and the IHA out of mothballs and on to the field.

Wish List Item #2: Horror Hero (Complete?)
One of the better supliments from HERO 4ed. Let's make one for 6ed also.

Wish List Item #3: The Martial World
Mystics got there own 'world' supliment, so why not martial artests?

Wish List Item #4: Champions Of The Rising Sun
Visit Japan, the 4 color way.

Wish List Item #5: Enimies (Vilains) Of The Rising Sun
Why should the heros have all the fun traveling?

Wish List Special: Villians Utopa
Would you beleve we get some famous writers together, have them create a vilain each, then sell the end results and give the funds to charity? Where else could you get an original vilain created by Stephen King and others? Just an ideal...
  • PhantomGM6101 likes this

#2 Zen Archer

Zen Archer

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 960 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

I really don't do wishlists anymore - no point in risking getting an idea that won't happen stuck in my head. You have some good ideas, though. I do hope to see the mentioned and discussed Golden Age Champions up this year.

#3 Balabanto

Balabanto

The Classic Avenger!

• 3,110 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

Well, right now I'm working on "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and then I'm going to work on "A Bridge Too Far" after "Journey" is over. After that, who knows? Possibilities include: Mind over Matter (I've talked about doing this for years.) The Imperial Throne Eastern Blocs Biafra: Super Nation Legacies: The Campaign Sourcebook 2 full villain books C.A.S.H. (Citizens Against Super Heroes) 3 From the Old School: This would reprint and revise all the old Digital Hero Material for THIS campaign world along with an extra adventure, update it to the new edition and add some maps. SPIDER Sourcebook Cult of the Ebon Flame sourcebook Superhero Team books (Along with their enemies not printed elsewhere.) SPIRIT Sourcebook I think I've got my work cut out for me.

#4 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Epic Morning Breath

• 16,246 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

Steve Long still aspires to publish Mythic Hero one day, and is considering another Kickstarter as one possible route. So hope for that is not dead.

I'm all for detailing any elements of the official Champions Universe which have not yet been treated in the depth they deserve.

Wish List Item #4: Champions Of The Rising Sun Visit Japan, the 4 color way. Wish List Item #5: Enimies (Vilains) Of The Rising Sun Why should the heros have all the fun traveling?

It would probably maximize appeal to potential buyers to combine these into one book, even if that means trimming the material to fit.

Biafra: Super Nation

If this is based on real-world Biafra, color me intrigued. :)

#5 kahuna's bro

kahuna's bro

golden tiger

• 2,281 posts
  • Locationtitusville fla.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

i'll second the martial world

#6 PhantomGM6101

PhantomGM6101

Omnipotent Cosmic Hero

• 398 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'll go along the lines of:
League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: A team sourcebook for Pulp HERO
POWER-PALS:The Champions Animated Series: animation Style team book for CHAMPIONS
BLOODLINES: THE BREED [Revised BLOOD Source-book for Champions]

COURT OF DREAMS: Magic Girls and Mystics[Anime Style Mystic Masters source book for CHAMPIONS]
BAD ATTITUDE:the villains Playbook[Enemies Source book for TEEN CHAMPIONS
TEEN CHAMPIONS [revised source book with 6th ed Material for GMs]
Challenges for CHAMPIONS II [revised book of adventure scenarios for Champions]

Anyone want to add to my list?
You're welcome to do so.

#7 Ranxerox

Ranxerox

It's An Android Thing

• 2,039 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

My person wish list is Golden Age Champions, which I would be willing to go over my normal $50 max donation to get my hands on, and Solar Hero. I want Solar Hero so bad that I have seriously considered writing it myself. Ultimately, I'm too lazy to write it all by myself and would rather simply pay money for it. However, if somebody or somebodies wanted to work on it with me, I would be willing to consider that.
  • mallet likes this

#8 IndianaJoe3

IndianaJoe3

Mad Hero System Genius

• 1,968 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

These are in no particular order.

Previously announced products:
  • Hero System Vehicles
  • Victorian Hero
Updates of older material:
  • Book of the Snake (updated VIPER sourcebook for 6e)
  • Action Hero (the non-superheroic material from 5e Dark Champions, covering super spies, crime drama, modern military, etc.)
  • Dark Champions (the superheroic portions of 5e Dark Champions and Dark Champions: The Animated Series)

#9 Guest_dan2448_*

Guest_dan2448_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

I'd recommend that anyone interested in this topic consider watching Steve Long's recent 1 hour video interview with Dorkland. (See the link below. And it's also posted on You Tube.)

http://www.herogames...table-videocast.

Near the end of that interview, Steve discusses Kickstarter in some depth. For those interested in future Kickstarter projects to be authored by Steve Long, he discusses in some detail the types of Hero System projects that he thinks work for Kickstarter. (While I would personally be interested in several of the above suggestions, many would clearly not match the criteria described by Steve in this interview, in my view.)

And for those interested in Hero System projects authored by people other than Steve (and maybe other than Darren, too), Steve discusses how Kickstarter may be less useful to those without an established fan base.

In this interview Steve mentions the possibility of one day again seeking to fund his 'Mythic Hero' project by Kickstarter. The only other potential upcoming publication (after Monster Hunter International) I recall him mentioning by name in this recent interview was "Fantasy Hero Complete" (and that mention was not necessarily in the context of Kickstarter).

Reading this thread after having recently watched that interview, I'm left with the impression that these suggestions (many of which I like myself) might only ever get produced by third parties outside of Steve, Darren and DoJ, and maybe outside the context of a Kickstarter campaign.

#10 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 2,038 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'm listening to the podcast now. As for more what I want to see: 1) Champions Hero: Like the Villian Volumes, but with superheros instead of villians. Pros: All the Champions published heros all in one book (or, prehaps two books). Cons: Hero tried this before, with Alies, but it was one of the less populer books. 2) Champions Villian Volume Four: Orginzations. Pros: Most (if not all) the 'starting' orginzations and 'starting' information of a;; the villianous orginzations in the Champions Universe. Cons: Might not suport all the information a GM may need. Also there is a question of how many orgizations inside the book.

#11 Guest_dan2448_*

Guest_dan2448_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

From the Dorkland interview, Steve Long on Kickstarter: "Kickstarter is great for companies or creators that already have a reputation for producing quality work, Hero being one of them. It's not a good way to build your own audience. You really need to go into Kickstarter having an audience if you're gonna succeed... You can't use it as a promotional tool in that sense..." And then Steve Long on what's next after Monster Hunter International: "We're looking into doing some other things like that. It's difficult because we have to find what we call 'a perfect storm'...a property that lends itself well to gaming, that is well known, by an author who has a strong internet presence, that we like, that I want to write about...At this stage of my life I'm not really willing to do things just for money. There has to be some love and desire for doing it, and that tends to come through in the Kickstarter. You know, if it's something I really love and want to do, the odds are that a lot of other people love it and are gonna want to pay for it. So we're looking for other potential properties that might fit those criteria. We're considering doing a Fantasy Hero edition of our Champions Complete book..." At the very end of the interview Steve goes on to discuss Mythic Hero, on which he continues to work as a side project. His enthusiasm for the subject and the project is evident. It appears to be a real 'Labor of Love.' As someone who wasn't as personally captivated by the topic, however, I might not agree unequivocally with his earlier assertion that, "if it's something I really love and want to do, the odds are that a lot of other people love it and are gonna want to pay for it." But all of the above did give me a pretty strong sense of his direction going forward (and his vision for DoJ/Hero Games' direction, too). I didn't get any sense that more Hero System rulebooks or more supplements related to the Champions Universe were under active consideration. I got the feeling that 2013 and 2014 were most likely to see Kickstarters for 'the next Monster Hunter International' and perhaps a second Kickstarter attempt for 'Mythic Hero,' and maybe the direct publication by Hero Games of Fantasy Hero Complete. An open question might be the prospects for the 'Golden Age Champions' book mentioned in the thread above (and mentioned in this forum frequently a year ago or so as well). Darren might well feel differently, of course, but Steve's emphasis on Kickstarters for licensed properties that might be "the next MHI' (presumably in part to draw a potential audience for the book wider than Hero System fans) makes me think that a Kickstarter for Golden Age Champions is incrementally less likely. That feeling is underscored by the fact that a previously published 'Golden Age Champions' book is already commonly available on ebay at very reasonable prices, as is a similar book previously published for Mutants & Masterminds. And there's also the "Godlike" RPG. A Kickstarter for any new 'Golden Age Champions' book now would probably have to promise a radically fresh and innovative take on the subject in order to have any realistic chance of success, I'd think. And evn then, a lesson I'd personally draw from the prior failure of the Mythic Hero Kickstarter is that the target audience for such a book might simply be way too small.

#12 Steve

Steve

Hero Games Otaku

• 3,751 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

From my list, in order: The Martial World Time Travel Hero Solar Hero

#13 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 1,537 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

From my list, in order:

The Martial World
Time Travel Hero
Solar Hero

Count me in on a martial world source book.

#14 Ranxerox

Ranxerox

It's An Android Thing

• 2,039 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

From the Dorkland interview, Steve Long on Kickstarter:

"Kickstarter is great for companies or creators that already have a reputation for producing quality work, Hero being one of them. It's not a good way to build your own audience. You really need to go into Kickstarter having an audience if you're gonna succeed... You can't use it as a promotional tool in that sense..."

And then Steve Long on what's next after Monster Hunter International:

"We're looking into doing some other things like that. It's difficult because we have to find what we call 'a perfect storm'...a property that lends itself well to gaming, that is well known, by an author who has a strong internet presence, that we like, that I want to write about...At this stage of my life I'm not really willing to do things just for money. There has to be some love and desire for doing it, and that tends to come through in the Kickstarter. You know, if it's something I really love and want to do, the odds are that a lot of other people love it and are gonna want to pay for it. So we're looking for other potential properties that might fit those criteria. We're considering doing a Fantasy Hero edition of our Champions Complete book..."

At the very end of the interview Steve goes on to discuss Mythic Hero, on which he continues to work as a side project. His enthusiasm for the subject and the project is evident. It appears to be a real 'Labor of Love.' As someone who wasn't as personally captivated by the topic, however, I might not agree unequivocally with his earlier assertion that, "if it's something I really love and want to do, the odds are that a lot of other people love it and are gonna want to pay for it." But all of the above did give me a pretty strong sense of his direction going forward (and his vision for DoJ/Hero Games' direction, too). I didn't get any sense that more Hero System rulebooks or more supplements related to the Champions Universe were under active consideration. I got the feeling that 2013 and 2014 were most likely to see Kickstarters for 'the next Monster Hunter International' and perhaps a second Kickstarter attempt for 'Mythic Hero,' and maybe the direct publication by Hero Games of Fantasy Hero Complete.

An open question might be the prospects for the 'Golden Age Champions' book mentioned in the thread above (and mentioned in this forum frequently a year ago or so as well). Darren might well feel differently, of course, but Steve's emphasis on Kickstarters for licensed properties that might be "the next MHI' (presumably in part to draw a potential audience for the book wider than Hero System fans) makes me think that a Kickstarter for Golden Age Champions is incrementally less likely. That feeling is underscored by the fact that a previously published 'Golden Age Champions' book is already commonly available on ebay at very reasonable prices, as is a similar book previously published for Mutants & Masterminds. And there's also the "Godlike" RPG. A Kickstarter for any new 'Golden Age Champions' book now would probably have to promise a radically fresh and innovative take on the subject in order to have any realistic chance of success, I'd think. And evn then, a lesson I'd personally draw from the prior failure of the Mythic Hero Kickstarter is that the target audience for such a book might simply be way too small.

A couple things about Steve's Dorkland interview, one he only talked about projects that he himself was doing the writing (and since it was his interview who can blame him) and two he specifically said that there was stuff that he was working on that he he couldn't talk about. For these reasons I wouldn't read too much into the stuff that he didn't talk about such as Champions books. Champions has consistently been Hero's best selling genre line and I would be shocked if they didn't continue to float Kickstarters for it.

As for Golden Age Champions, Darren has a proven track record to making good books which as Steve mentioned is important for a successful Kickstarter and Hero fans have been waiting for the new Golden Age Champions for years. Really the six words that anyone running a Kickstarter most wants to hear are "Shut up and take my money!" So unless Darren shoots himself in the foot by pricing it ridiculously high, I think a GAC Kickstarter has an excellent chance of succeeding.

#15 Ostof

Ostof

Incompetent Normal

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

World Books, hands down. Anything that details Locations for me, and supplies maps, histories, challenges, characters and hooks. I don't need "Heroes" or "Villains" of any sort - I can make those myself, and tailored to my campaign. "Horror Hero" was a fantastic supplement, and one which has been used many different ways in my games. "Hidden Lands" is another. Even something that lays out a large city, or part of a country, and gives me some juicy character hooks with it. I'll second the "Solar Hero" concept, and the Victorian World as well. Scratch the Martial Artists - they're easy enough to update from older material. Unique styles and histories can be addressed as parts of other projects. I don't know that the Anime material would have a large enough audience, or one that can - or would - plunk down enough money to cover a Kickstarter. In other words, as a GM I'd pay for someone to develop *any* area in depth so I don't have to, or any large organization, for the same reason. :)

#16 Guest_dan2448_*

Guest_dan2448_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

From the Dorkland interview, Steve Long on Kickstarter:

"Kickstarter is great for companies or creators that already have a reputation for producing quality work, Hero being one of them. It's not a good way to build your own audience. You really need to go into Kickstarter having an audience if you're gonna succeed... You can't use it as a promotional tool in that sense..."

And then Steve Long on what's next after Monster Hunter International:

"We're looking into doing some other things like that. It's difficult because we have to find what we call 'a perfect storm'...a property that lends itself well to gaming, that is well known, by an author who has a strong internet presence, that we like, that I want to write about...At this stage of my life I'm not really willing to do things just for money. There has to be some love and desire for doing it, and that tends to come through in the Kickstarter. You know, if it's something I really love and want to do, the odds are that a lot of other people love it and are gonna want to pay for it. So we're looking for other potential properties that might fit those criteria. We're considering doing a Fantasy Hero edition of our Champions Complete book..."

At the very end of the interview Steve goes on to discuss Mythic Hero, on which he continues to work as a side project. His enthusiasm for the subject and the project is evident. It appears to be a real 'Labor of Love.' As someone who wasn't as personally captivated by the topic, however, I might not agree unequivocally with his earlier assertion that, "if it's something I really love and want to do, the odds are that a lot of other people love it and are gonna want to pay for it." But all of the above did give me a pretty strong sense of his direction going forward (and his vision for DoJ/Hero Games' direction, too). I didn't get any sense that more Hero System rulebooks or more supplements related to the Champions Universe were under active consideration. I got the feeling that 2013 and 2014 were most likely to see Kickstarters for 'the next Monster Hunter International' and perhaps a second Kickstarter attempt for 'Mythic Hero,' and maybe the direct publication by Hero Games of Fantasy Hero Complete.

An open question might be the prospects for the 'Golden Age Champions' book mentioned in the thread above (and mentioned in this forum frequently a year ago or so as well). Darren might well feel differently, of course, but Steve's emphasis on Kickstarters for licensed properties that might be "the next MHI' (presumably in part to draw a potential audience for the book wider than Hero System fans) makes me think that a Kickstarter for Golden Age Champions is incrementally less likely. That feeling is underscored by the fact that a previously published 'Golden Age Champions' book is already commonly available on ebay at very reasonable prices, as is a similar book previously published for Mutants & Masterminds. And there's also the "Godlike" RPG. A Kickstarter for any new 'Golden Age Champions' book now would probably have to promise a radically fresh and innovative take on the subject in order to have any realistic chance of success, I'd think. And evn then, a lesson I'd personally draw from the prior failure of the Mythic Hero Kickstarter is that the target audience for such a book might simply be way too small.

You make a very fair point, Ranxerox, about Steve only talking about his own projects during the Dorkland interview. That's why I also posted a quote from him about how challenging it can be for people without an established 'name' to use Kickstarter successfully. Since this thread is about Kickstarter projects, I thought it was notable to consider who might use it successfully and who might not.

I personally think it would be great if Hero Games established more Kickstarters for Champions-related supplements. I pledged the Kickstarter for 'Villains' vol. 3 myself, and would be likely to do so again. But both 'Champions Live Action' and 'Imaginary Friends' struggled to meet relatively modest funding goals on Kickstarter, and 'Mythic Hero' failed to reach a more ambitious target. It's now almost 18 months since the company announced it was 'altering its business model' and, other than Kickstarters to print copies of two Champions books that were already written ('Empress" and 'Villains" v. 3), I don't believe that there's been much else forthcoming that's Champions-related. As a result, I'm more pessimistic than you might be, I'm afraid, that Hero Games will be establishing more Champions-related Kickstarters in the future. I hope I'm wrong about that. But nothing in Steve Long's Dorkland interview made me reconsider my pessimism. That being said, you're absolutely correct to point out that this is mere uninformed speculation.

#17 Guest_dan2448_*

Guest_dan2448_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

From my list, in order:

The Martial World
Time Travel Hero
Solar Hero

"Time Travel Hero" was a book that really caught my eye when it was first announced as a future project 2 or 3 years ago. I'd enthusiastically agree with that suggestion. But I have a nagging memory that sometime in the last few months that book came up here on another thread and was officially declared to be a 'dead' project.

#18 Guest_dan2448_*

Guest_dan2448_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

World Books, hands down. Anything that details Locations for me, and supplies maps, histories, challenges, characters and hooks. I don't need "Heroes" or "Villains" of any sort - I can make those myself, and tailored to my campaign.

"Horror Hero" was a fantastic supplement, and one which has been used many different ways in my games. "Hidden Lands" is another. Even something that lays out a large city, or part of a country, and gives me some juicy character hooks with it.

I'll second the "Solar Hero" concept, and the Victorian World as well.
Scratch the Martial Artists - they're easy enough to update from older material. Unique styles and histories can be addressed as parts of other projects.
I don't know that the Anime material would have a large enough audience, or one that can - or would - plunk down enough money to cover a Kickstarter.

In other words, as a GM I'd pay for someone to develop *any* area in depth so I don't have to, or any large organization, for the same reason. :)

I have been surprised that more 'third parties' haven't been producing 'world books' and other Champions supplements over the last year or so, even if just in PDF form. Michael Satran's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" project is the only 3rd party, Champions-related thing that might be close to a 'world book' I can recall, and that's still in the drafting stage I believe.

Is that a reflection of a broadly shared assumption that the market for such products is just really small? I don't know, but I think it might be.

#19 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 2,038 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Basicly I would love ANYTHING from the Champions Universe at this point. What has come down the pike since turning to a Kickstarter format from Hero/DOJ proper? Got The Book Of The Empress, Villians Volume 3, and Champions Complete (which dosen't count because it was not a Kickstarter) in PDF format (and loaded on my Nook), and...nothing else (well, I did buy more PDFs than that, but none of them were frome after the Kickstarter format).

I must apologies, but my funds are rather low, so I can't suport Kickstarter directly. But I CAN buy the books once thay are done generating suport.

Mr. Long: You know, if you cut up your Mythic Hero supliment by panthion, you could proably be able to self publish a few and sell them as PDFs on the site. Just a thought... (I myself might be intrested in some of them).

Isen't it time for another Champions Universe update? Just a random thought.

#20 Balabanto

Balabanto

The Classic Avenger!

• 3,110 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Well, to answer Dan2448's questions, I just do what I do. And that's "Bring my champions world into print one chunk at a time." There are a number of reasons for this. 1) I like it. It's fun. 2) A lot of the things I do are slightly different from the superhero worlds that have come before it. My world is a little more Earth-Centric and a little less cosmic. 3) By doing the exotic stuff first, when I put in the standard stuff later, it will put things into perspective. 4) I like to challenge minds. So when I come up with an idea, I send Dave Mattingly my blurb, and he says "Yes!" or "No! Do this instead!" The thing about the Kickstarter model is that unlike a lot of these other folks, when I do one of these things, the first draft is DONE. Completed. Finished. Over. There's no "In Development" setup or time delay. When we're ready to kickstart, Dave has a draft in his mailbox. :) Why? Because I like to deliver what's promised on time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users