Beginning versions of the Justice League for 6e on 400 points

Hyper-Man

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you like it.  The export format was created by board member desaturated

Others have asked me to do something like this for the Avengers before.  I don't know if I could match the energy I put into this thread and it's 5e predecessor.  To get Iron-Man built on starting points and still have his Intellect and skills would mean making the armor closer to the very first version and the final version would probably end up looking a lot like Defender from the Champions.  I have posted a quick-n-dirty 5e version of Thor in the past.  I've never done a complete Captain America but I have built his Shield and Wolverine's Claws (also for 5e) and more recently, Spider-Man's Web Shooters.

You might also like this 5e version of Hawkgirl from the old thread.  The DCAU version of the character was often referred to as Thor-lite.

I don't see much of a mechanical build challenge with Ant-Man and The Wasp. With them it's all about the starting background stuff right.  Since I've never been as big of an Avengers comic collector (compared to JLA and DCU stuff) and being only a fair researcher I would be hard pressed to turn out something comparable to my JLA stuff.  Ant-Man just doesn't commit as many points to dedicated combat stuff as Jan (flight and 'stinger blasts') which is necessary if he's going to live up to the rep as being at the same level of smarts as Mr. Fantastic.

I plan on eventually tackling the Hulk but not before I figure out The Thing and The Human Torch on my Fantastic Four thread.  Like, the Flash and Captain America, The Hulk sets the standard for his shtick (Strength in his case) so gauging all the other characters around is just as important as his build.

Darren Watts did a 600+ point version of the Hulk for Gametraders magazine back in 2003 but I cannot find a good link to it.

Good stuff, Hyper-man. I did indeed enjoy the Hawkgirl and Thor write-ups as well.

The Fantastic Four stuff you've been working on is good stuff too. I'd give a starting Thing a strength of 55-60 myself. I think that would fit in well with what you already have for Mr. F and Susie too.

Switching gears a second - have you ever read Marvel's "Exiles"? I ask because I started reading it recently (late to that show too), and really like it. Was wondering how you would write-up Mimic from that team. I think most of the team is pretty straight-forward, but Mimic seems a bit more complex to me.

Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

I've never even heard of the character 'Mimic' before.  If the powers are anything like the name suggests it probably would require a nested Multiform/VPP combination to work (a warning sign combination for anything less than a special effect that demands it like this).  Look up the partial Parasite write up in my old JLA 350 thread in my sig for a better example of what I mean.

OK, will check out that Parasite write-up you mention.

Mimic is a character who can copy up to five powers from other characters at one time, and he does so at 50% of the power level of the person whose power he is copying. So, if he copied the strength of a character who could lift ten tons, then Mimic would be able to lift five tons. He does not prevent the character he copied from from using their power. He just copies it himself so he can use it.

Off to check out that Parasite write-up...

So, I'm back after reviewing that Parasite information. There are some similarities in the two characters apparently, but not exactly the same. As I mentioned above, Mimic doesn't actually drain the power of the target - he just copies it at roughly 50% power level. He also has no fade rate. Whatever power he copies he keeps until he decides to replace it with another.

I applied some Google-fu to scour the interwebs to see if anyone else had taken a stab at writing up Mimic in Champions, but came up empty. No worries. Not like it's a pressing matter. I was mostly interested from a mechanics point of view in how such a character would be constructed. I think you are on the right track with your suggestion of VPP/Multi-form, and perhaps with the right modifiers his set of powers could be worked out.

If I ever get my campaign going again, I'll likely make a go at trying to write him up myself and see what I come up with. My campaign world is an amalgamation of Marvel, DC, Champions Universe, and my own creations, so I incorporate a lot of different characters depending on the story-line without regard for original universe the character came from.

Thanks again, Hyper-man!

I've more or less got a first draft of the Golden Age Atom. Unfortunately, it's hard to get him up to 400 points as a starting character!

The biggest problem is the version with superstrength/an atomic punch is an experienced one.

I'll post what I've got, because the point is to inspire Hyper-Man, after all.

There will, no doubt, be errors in my draft.

The Atom (Golden Age)

Al Pratt

Beginning version

Val          Char       Cost        Roll         notes

25           STR        15           14-          Lift 800 kg; 5d6 HTH damage [2]

28           DEX       36           15-

23           CON       13           14-

18           INT         8              13-          PER Roll 13-

18           EGO       8              13-

20           PRE        10           13-          PRE Attack: 4d6

11           OCV       40

9              DCV       30

3              OMCV   0

3              DMCV   0

15           PD           13           Total: 18 PD (3 rPD)

15           ED          13           Total: 18 ED (3 rED)

7              SPD        50           Phases: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12

14           REC       10

40           END       4

20           BODY    10

42           STUN     11

Total Characteristics Cost: 271

Movement:           Leaping:               8m

Running:               18m

Swimming:            8m

Cost        Powers                                                                                                                                   End

Martial Arts (Boxing and Wrestling)

4              Block                     +2           +2           Block, Abort

3              Clinch                    -1            -1            Grab Two Limbs, +10 STR

4              Cross                      +0           +2           9d6 Strike

5              Hook                      -2            +1           11d6 Strike

4              Choke Hold          -2            +0           Grab One Limb; 3d6 NND

4              Escape                   +0           +0           +15 STR Escape

3              Hold                       -1            -1            Grab Two Limbs, +10 STR for holding on

3              Sacrifice Throw    +2           +1           7d6 Strike; Target Falls; You Fall

3              Slam                       +0           +1           7d6 + v/5, Target Falls

8              +2 Damage Classes (already added in)

2              Powerful Legs: Leaping +4m                                                                                            1

6              Swift: Running +6m                                                                                                            2

2              Powerful Swimmer: Swimming +4m                                                                               1             

Total Powers Cost: 51 Points

Cost        Skills

3              Acrobatics

3              Breakfall

3              Climbing

3              Concealment

3              Conversation

3              Deduction

3              KS: Boxing

3              KS: Wrestling

3              Paramedics

3              Persuasion

3              Shadowing

3              Stealth

3              Streetwise

Total Skills Cost: 39 Points

Cost        Talents

6              Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Total Talents Cost: 6 Points

Total Powers, Skill & Talent Cost: 196

Total Cost: 367

400 Matching Complications (75)

20 DNPC: Mary James (romantic interest) (Frequently, Normal, Unaware of Identity)

10 Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing (Common, Moderate)

10.Overconfident (Common, Moderate)

20 Psychological Limitation: Superpatriot (Very Common, Strong)

15 Social Complication: Secret ID (Al Pratt, College Student) (Frequently, Major)

Total Complications Value: 75

Experience Points: 0

Background: "An Atom is absolutely the smallest thing on Earth -- so we find our little friend Al Pratt, much to his discomfort, dubbed "Atom Al" by his college friends -- who constantly kid him about his small size."

98-pound weakling Al Pratt was bullied at school and unable to impress the girl of his dreams, Mary James.

One day Pratt, a kind-hearted man, bought dinner for a vagrant who turned out to be Joe Morgan, former boxing trainer. Morgan promised Pratt he could be made into a he-man with the right training. In less than a year Pratt became a skilled and strong fighter, and he decided to use his new ability to protect the oppressed as the mystery man Atom.  (All-American Comics #19)

Notes: Starting version. Unfortunately not compatible with Hyper-Man's designs.

I gave him 25 STR because of his tendency to break things.

The combination of his weak CvK and Superpatriot makes him able to join the Army, as he did in one story.

He has 33 points unspent.

Probably Defense Maneuver, Rapid Attack, more combat maneuvers and such like.

Or more Combat Luck, CON, BODY and STUN.

Or, of course, his superstrength, but that comes up against power level limit guidelines.

Basically, of course, he’s a boxer in a mask, so his power level can only be pushed so far before he has to resort to superpowers.

A 7 Speed! That's higher than my Flash.

I might borrow an idea from the WEG Star Wars game and build him and other JSA members in the style of an 'old Jedi'.  Since they are from an earlier era it makes sense that they originally started out with less points than the modern JLA members.  It also allows me to build a 400 point version that is experienced instead of a rookie with too much upside to power growth.  But even limiting his true powers to an Atomic Punch, some superstrength and immunity to radiation it'll be hard to fill out 400 points. 

I might instead go for converting the current versions from the Earth 2 comic where Al Pratt can grow to giant size.

We'll see....

Couple of things...

I recently updated Clark to reflect the 6e updates to AOE Accurate on a HA and the damage adding rules for Advantaged HA. Up till now his character sheet was still reflecting the 5e rules.

More on the JSA....

If I do end up going with the old school JSA members It'll be really tough to differentiate the abilities of characters like Atom, Hourman and Wildcat.  Arguably, Hourman should be the best of the bunch during his 'Hour of Power'.  Like the Justice League Unlimited Animated Series - it was very rare in the comics for the entire JSA team to show up for any particular fight.  They would often split the team around the powerhouses (GL, Dr. F, Flash, etc..) with the rest of the team providing support.

I recently came up with another method to simulate a HTH Reflection ability via a Self Only Barrier with Backlash.

18) The Man of Steel v3: Barrier 12 PD/12 ED, 1 BODY (up to 1m long, 1m tall, and 1/2m thick), Backlash (Custom "HTH Reflection" - Any HTH attack that does not break the Barrier gets reflected back at the attacker; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Costs Endurance (to maintain; -1/2), No Range (Already part of Self Only - only added so power does not show as Ranged in exports (ACTUAL Real Cost = 24); -1/2), Self Only (-1/2) Real Cost: 20

Notes: Can only use attacks with Indirect while active. Barrier also effectively functions as Knockback Resistance.

Thoughts?

If I do end up going with the old school JSA members It'll be really tough to differentiate the abilities of characters like Atom, Hourman and Wildcat.  Arguably, Hourman should be the best of the bunch during his 'Hour of Power'.

There would be very little difference between Wildcat and the early version of the Atom. Basically, Wildcat owns a motorcycle. Other than that, the difference is artistic.

Of course, in the Golden Age, the Atom was a mainstay of the JSA, while Wildcat was a ring-in who only appeared in a few stories. He only become a prominent member in the decades of subsequent revivals.

I'm in the early stages of a JSA project myself, and have Wildcat on my "don't bother" list, along with all the other one (to three) appearance wonders. I like the character though.

The later version of the Atom would, in fact, have a lot in common with Hourman during the latter's hour of power. However, Hourman was relatively invulnerable and superhumanly fast, which I don't think the Atom was.

In the Golden Age, Hourman left long before the Atom gained his powers. They only interacted when he was a boxer in a mask. Obviously that doesn't apply to later versions.

The other major difference between the characters is that Rex Tyler is a total weenie without his super-roids.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently updated Bruce Wayne (increased INT to 30, added Weapon Familiarities and other minor details). 

To pay for this I changed 1 Overall Level to 1 w/Martial Arts to free up points and maintain a total of 3 CSL's. 

Does anyone think it would be better to keep 2 Overall Levels and lose the Martial Art CSL instead (and scrounge up 2 more points to balance out things as well)?

Oh I know how to scrounge up points. I was* just looking for input on which is more important to begin with (2 Overall Levels or 1 Overall & 2 CSL's with Martial Arts).

*I've already decided to go with 2 Overall Levels. And yes, I am paying for it and other details by lowering INT to 23. :D

Bruce Wayne

edit

working link - http://www.herocentral.net/get/files/premium/Bruce+Wayne+6e+400.HTML

• 8 months later...

I recently came up with another method to simulate a HTH Reflection ability via a Self Only Barrier with Backlash.

18) The Man of Steel v3: Barrier 12 PD/12 ED, 1 BODY (up to 1m long, 1m tall, and 1/2m thick), Backlash (Custom "HTH Reflection" - Any HTH attack that does not break the Barrier gets reflected back at the attacker; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Costs Endurance (to maintain; -1/2), No Range (Already part of Self Only - only added so power does not show as Ranged in exports (ACTUAL Real Cost = 24); -1/2), Self Only (-1/2) Real Cost: 20

Notes: Can only use attacks with Indirect while active. Barrier also effectively functions as Knockback Resistance.

Thoughts?

I think a damage shield works best for that kind of thing, but its complicated if you want it to reflect absolutely everything exactly as is.

I think a damage shield works best for that kind of thing, but its complicated if you want it to reflect absolutely everything exactly as is.

Oh, I know Damage Shield is the RAW way to do it.  I even asked Steve Long about this approach in the Rules Forum back when I came up with it and he shot it down.  I think it's a more elegant solution with many applications besides the Brick SFX (think sci-fi Force Fields that zap the zapper back).

• 3 months later...

Oh, I know Damage Shield is the RAW way to do it.  I even asked Steve Long about this approach in the Rules Forum back when I came up with it and he shot it down.  I think it's a more elegant solution with many applications besides the Brick SFX (think sci-fi Force Fields that zap the zapper back).

Walter, ya know, it's Smokey, so his toe slipped over the line a little, big deal. It's just a game, man.

Anyway...

I recently made some minor updates to Barry and Clark.  They are mostly corrections to the Aids each of them have and some tweaks on movement for Barry (now ALL of his movement builds have the Combat Acceleration/Deceleration Advantage. Clark only has it on Leaping).

I also posted my version of a 6e 400 point update to Uberman to the Atlas Unleashed 6e updates thread.