I wonder how many have stopped using Champions/HERO for similar reasons to this?

Hyper-Man

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fan of Hero (and Champions specifically)' date=' I've found myself running other games due in part to my group and in part to looking for some streamlining. I ran Hero through the '80s and '90s, with some play during the early '00s. While I like both 5th and 6th ed versions, 4th ed was my favorite. I loved the setting in particular and carried it over through 4th, C:NM and into 5th before ending the campaign and compiling my own campaign world. Since then, like you, Darrin, I've found myself sampling system after system, including Silver Age Sentinels, M&M 1st-3rd, d6 Supers, and Deeds Not Words. I've even looked at Savage Worlds and many of the indie superhero RPGs. In the end, we settled on M&M3e because it had some of Champions' flexibility but was a bit more streamlined when it came to equipment and vehicles. Honestly, I think at this point, if I got to return to Champions, I'd be house ruling quite a bit in to help the system be more what I want it to be (which, IMHO, is one of the things I like about Hero). It's rough finding a system that appeals to both you and your gaming group. Have you looked over Super or Icons? Super always looked interesting to me, and Icons can be fun. Good luck Darrin, I hope you find the system that works for you. :)[/quote']

I'm currently with M&M 3rd edition. And I'm so fluent in both Hero and M&M that I can translate characters between the two systems rather easily.

The current owner of Supers! actually sent me a complimentary copy of that game yesterday. So I could check it out and see if it was what I was looking for in a game. Nice effort by a nice guy. And I'm still evaluating it.

Icons is built around random character creation. Which I'm not thrilled by. So my search continues.

BASH UE actually sounds interesting. And it certainly has a lot of nice sourcebook support.

The point shift was to account for pricing changes.

From Fifth to 6th edition, that is true. But from 4th to 5th the price of individual elements of characters were not that different.

"Not that different" implies that changes were still made. Enough so that someone decided to increase the amount players started with.

Hi Darrin/Shiva13,

Thanks for taking the time to post here. I can relate to your point of view. I haven't actually gamed in several years. The times I've been active in face2face games in the past 20 years is actually quite sparse. I look at Steve Longs contribution to HERO as a "better than nothing/fusion". The level of crunch he introduced with Dark Champions (especially super-skill abilities like Deadly-Blow that overlap existing Hit Location mechanics) bugged me in certain spots too but without him and the other investors of DOJ who published 5e we would have been stuck with Fusion as the 'last' published edition of the game and 4e's BBB as the last good one. That really would have been the end of HERO. There have been a LOT of really good 5e & 6e books published. The Ultimate Martial Artist is one of the best HERO supplements ever and the rest of the Ultimate books and their 6e equivalents are all good as well. Honestly, if there had not been a 5e I would probably not own any modern gaming books. It's the only stuff I've spent money on in the past 10 years. The only other options in my local community for face2face gaming has been D&DvX or Warhammer and I had no desire to invest any money into those systems. About 7 years ago my then wife and I hosted a D&D3.5 campaign (ran by someone else) for a couple of years at our place. We were loaned the books we needed so I gladly participated but it was just a "this is better than nothing" situation. I would have jumped at any opportunity to play HERO instead. But I'm just goofy that way.

"Better than nothing" alienated a significant majority of the 4th Edition fanbase to a worse degree than Fuzion ever did. It only embraced the hardest of the hardcore fanbase, and utterly ignored the rest of the game's audience.

"Some" or even "many" I would accept at face value. "A significant majority" I would need quantification to accept. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Isn't it enough to state a personal position without claiming multitudes to lend it more credence?

If you have real metrics to share I would be interested to see them, of course.

This discussion is pretty pointless for all participants. People change from system to other when they get fed up to current one. I have GMd and played several systems during the last 20 years. There are actually only few things that keep me playing systems and stop to play some.

1. Interesting setting

- World where game is played should be interesting, fun and suitable for GM and players.

2. Possibilities (Hero system "rule" explains this pretty well. You get what you pay for.)

- Just examples...

Rolemaster is hard to learn, but everybody remembers the critical tables. Game is rather complex to play and character level advancement is not so easy task for those who lack concentration skills.

Rune Quest is deadly, pretty simple and kind of low fantasy setting. No special powers (edges, feats etc.). Setting is interesting, but current 6th edition contains some problems.

Savage Worlds is simple (I think that too simple to play), possibilities to create different kind of characters are quite limited, adventures are very combat oriented and so on. After one year characters start to be similar. Setting are interesting, but that system is something between FATE and other RPGs.

Vampire...well all know this and is suitable for certain people.

Last edition of Shadowrun...it is interesting, but there are some very complex rules and I don't like those mini games that inside the game. That is excellent game, but is demanding for players and GM more than some other games.

D&D...well...all know that. Direction is toward tactical miniature RPG/wargame mixture. There fans of that too.

Summarum from my examples. Complex systems, give possibilities. Simple systems limit those. That is simple rule...I think that Hero System (Champions) powers are not too complicated. Easy...you pick power, add certain points, then multiply that result by advantages and divide whole thing with limitations. Of course there are some things that could be done easier, but that is only in character creation.

One player might like M&M, other likes from some other that is not a problem. I think that saying from system that it is bad or good is not right way. People like from different things. I know for sure that there are no perfect system.

3. Game flow.

- If game flows easily, but it is easy to add some rules without changing the whole mechanic. Then it works.

Those reason, but sometimes those will be forgotten by game designers. The best game tester is person who is playing whole system for the first time. Those old veterans who have played system for years know the basic rules and are not able to question too complex version from rules. They know most of the things by heart and can keep game flowing easily, but some new might not.

Guest Goradin

If you think that was uncivil then you need to get out more folks. Folks that post here or anywhere on the net, and this includes myself, are open to comments from others.

Who uses systems exactly as written? I have played RPG's since nigh the beginning of the hobby in 77 when they went mainstream. We always used the rules we liked and cut what we didn't. It's called homebrew. I suggest you try it. There is no perfect system. You can't please every one and one has never been written. If you really want a system you like, I suggest you take up your pen or pencil or keyboard and write the system you want. Many games have started that way. If it's good enough then people then you can sell it and criticize it for making them get lost or using math just below linear equations.

This decline isn't just HERO it's a wider thing. Ask WoC how 4th edition went. The RPG industry has become more of a cottage industry ran by independents with a few biggies left.

I tried to keep things civil. That's all. Tasha: The growing view of complexity comes from the verbosity of character sheets. 4th edition' date=' the baseline superhero character was 250 points. 5th edition, they lept up to a 350 point baseline, And 6th edition, the baseline is now 400 points. The verbosity in character sheets actually started in 4th edition with Dark Champions. It was a paradigm shift in how characters in the sourcebooks were presented.[/quote'] The complexity issue is a valid one. I think part of the problem is the competition RPGs face nowadays from the numerous other entertainment options that are available. I feel as though people were more willing to make the learning curve investment for a complex RPG in the eighties than they are now. Nowadays you really have to lower the barrier to entry just to get people in the door. I don't think Hero character creation is complex so much as time consuming, but either way it's an obstacle.

If you think that was uncivil then you need to get out more folks. Folks that post here or anywhere on the net, and this includes myself, are open to comments from others.

Who uses systems exactly as written? I have played RPG's since nigh the beginning of the hobby in 77 when they went mainstream. We always used the rules we liked and cut what we didn't. It's called homebrew. I suggest you try it. There is no perfect system. You can't please every one and one has never been written. If you really want a system you like, I suggest you take up your pen or pencil or keyboard and write the system you want. Many games have started that way. If it's good enough then people then you can sell it and criticize it for making them get lost or using math just below linear equations.

This decline isn't just HERO it's a wider thing. Ask WoC how 4th edition went. The RPG industry has become more of a cottage industry ran by independents with a few biggies left.

Goradin, while I can appreciate your passion on the subject, there's no need for an insulting tone. Comments are one thing, being insulting is another. Please refrain from such posts in the future.

The complexity issue is a valid one. I think part of the problem is the competition RPGs face nowadays from the numerous other entertainment options that are available. I feel as though people were more willing to make the learning curve investment for a complex RPG in the eighties than they are now. Nowadays you really have to lower the barrier to entry just to get people in the door. I don't think Hero character creation is complex so much as time consuming' date=' but either way it's an obstacle.[/quote']

I thoroughly agree with you on this.

If you look at Mutants & Massterminds over it's 3 editions of development, you see a clear pointed effort at serious system refinement. The differences between 2nd and 3rd Edition of M&M are extremely pronounced. To the point that they are almost different games from each other.

I think the Hero System needs that level of development and refinement. And it's needed it since before the Fuzion attempt.

Chrome growth is always an issue as the fanatics want more and everyone else finds it tedious. Star Fleet Battles killed itself by the designers only listening to the fanatics. Champions? There are bits and pieces meant to cover gaps, but it seems very much the same system now as it did decades ago. It's an involved character creation process, that you can keep easy, or create an intimidating wall of data with. My advice is just stick to simpler designs if you don't like walls of data. Or reduce the amount of points to make more focused heroes. I'm experimenting with 350 point characters rather than 400 for 6th Edition, and I might well take it down to 300 (young superheroes suggestion). Better to let the players start small and grow into it, and then let them do a new/additional character later on with more points. Simpler systems are - simpler. You simply can't capture the subtleties that Champions can - you are giving that up for ease of play. I didn't really see Mutants and Masterminds as all that simpler, and at least I understood Champions from past use.

This discussion is pretty pointless for all participants. People change from system to other when they get fed up to current one. I have GMd and played several systems during the last 20 years. There are actually only few things that keep me playing systems and stop to play some.

1. Interesting setting

- World where game is played should be interesting, fun and suitable for GM and players.

2. Possibilities (Hero system "rule" explains this pretty well. You get what you pay for.)

- Just examples...

Rolemaster is hard to learn, but everybody remembers the critical tables. Game is rather complex to play and character level advancement is not so easy task for those who lack concentration skills.

Rune Quest is deadly, pretty simple and kind of low fantasy setting. No special powers (edges, feats etc.). Setting is interesting, but current 6th edition contains some problems.

Savage Worlds is simple (I think that too simple to play), possibilities to create different kind of characters are quite limited, adventures are very combat oriented and so on. After one year characters start to be similar. Setting are interesting, but that system is something between FATE and other RPGs.

Vampire...well all know this and is suitable for certain people.

Last edition of Shadowrun...it is interesting, but there are some very complex rules and I don't like those mini games that inside the game. That is excellent game, but is demanding for players and GM more than some other games.

D&D...well...all know that. Direction is toward tactical miniature RPG/wargame mixture. There fans of that too.

Summarum from my examples. Complex systems, give possibilities. Simple systems limit those. That is simple rule...I think that Hero System (Champions) powers are not too complicated. Easy...you pick power, add certain points, then multiply that result by advantages and divide whole thing with limitations. Of course there are some things that could be done easier, but that is only in character creation.

One player might like M&M, other likes from some other that is not a problem. I think that saying from system that it is bad or good is not right way. People like from different things. I know for sure that there are no perfect system.

3. Game flow.

- If game flows easily, but it is easy to add some rules without changing the whole mechanic. Then it works.

Those reason, but sometimes those will be forgotten by game designers. The best game tester is person who is playing whole system for the first time. Those old veterans who have played system for years know the basic rules and are not able to question too complex version from rules. They know most of the things by heart and can keep game flowing easily, but some new might not.

I agree that Savage Worlds is a very simple system, but how do you see it as being similar to Fate?

Chrome growth is always an issue as the fanatics want more and everyone else finds it tedious. Star Fleet Battles killed itself by the designers only listening to the fanatics. Champions? There are bits and pieces meant to cover gaps, but it seems very much the same system now as it did decades ago. It's an involved character creation process, that you can keep easy, or create an intimidating wall of data with. My advice is just stick to simpler designs if you don't like walls of data. Or reduce the amount of points to make more focused heroes. I'm experimenting with 350 point characters rather than 400 for 6th Edition, and I might well take it down to 300 (young superheroes suggestion). Better to let the players start small and grow into it, and then let them do a new/additional character later on with more points. Simpler systems are - simpler. You simply can't capture the subtleties that Champions can - you are giving that up for ease of play. I didn't really see Mutants and Masterminds as all that simpler, and at least I understood Champions from past use.
The issue that earlier versions of Champions had was that players who were so inclined could wring a significant advantage in character capability out of the complexities of the system. I think the last three iterations, which did focus on closing the loopholes, has helped a lot with that, though it hasn't been completely solved (nor will it ever be, IMO).

What some folks see as a flaw others will see as a feature. :P

I basically agree with this.

In fact, I would go you one further and say that you can play even "supers" at very low points, even in 6e, like say 150 points...

For the purposes of gauging exceptional-ness; the total effect and CV's of the PC's are less important than relative values over baseline and the opposition they face.

The system scales well both up and down, across both power level and nuance vectors.

The point shift was to account for pricing changes.

From Fifth to 6th edition, that is true. But from 4th to 5th the price of individual elements of characters were not that different.

Actually my experience suggests that 4e should have shifted character costs higher. 3e added in Skills to the core product (1e and 2e required the purchase of Champions II for the skill list). In 4e Skills became more emphasized for us, but point values for characters stayed the same. Those point values seemed to be based on a Character who was built mainly around powers with a few skills for flavoring. In 4e I saw players start to build more rounded characters with Knowledges, Professions, Sciences and other skills like Computer Prog etc. This inflated character costs, but wasn't really reflected in more character points. Powers didn't get more Complex, we started to create characters that had more skills along with the same number of powers.

I pretty much agree with the comments just above regarding Hero. You can very much set your own complexity level and encourage simpler builds if you want to. Of course, doing so takes effort, and I understand that can be off putting. The prep time and effort with Hero has always been one of its drawbacks.

That said, the only other system I've got much experience with that was mentioned is Marvel FASERIP. I own some of the others, like V&V and the newest Marvel, and the DC/M&M rules, but haven't really dug into them.

So, just a few observations on FASERIP:

Marvel Superheroes Game (FASERP)

This was the first superhero RPG I got involved with. My very first. And it interested me because of the license. I was a huge Marvel Comics fan back in the day.

My problem with it? Only option is random character creation. There is no "point buy" system to build your own characters based on what you wanted to model. It just doesn't have the option.

The Advanced edition, which I think is probably the most widely-played, gives three options in the Player's Book: Premade characters, generated characters, and modeled characters. It gives examples for both generating characters and modeling characters. The Judge's book gives the additional Alien Hero option, of picking an alien race then modifying its baseline stats by rolling on the table used to adjust stats for powered armored characters.

Generated characters aren't totally random. Players roll for an Origin, then roll their FASERIP stats, then roll for their number of powers, power categories, and number of talents. The player can then chose their powers and talents rather than randomly roll them. Randomizing individual powers and talents is an option.

If you don't like random generation, you can simply do character modeling, but for an original character rather than one in the comics. It requires some negotiation, and a bit of effort on the GM's part, but it's doable.

There was also a point buy system published in Dragon Magazine that's still available on the web on FASERIP fan sites. It's slightly flawed in that it doesn't provide guidance on purchasing powers that have no ranks, or on purchasing something like Invulnerability that's technically a CL1000 rank, but if you make up your own rules for those cases, it's very usable.

Also, the books for it? Hardly legible. Which is why I gave up on it and went over to Champions.

I don't understand the hardly legible comment. If it's a comment on the writing being often vague, then I agree. The core books aren't too bad, but there are plenty of entries in, say, The Ultimate Powers Book, that make no sense at all from a mechanics perspective. I think the author of that one had a pretty loose grasp on the game.

Based on what's currently out there, I'd say there are three options for a relatively simple supers RPG, in no particular order:

1. Hero System 4th Edition, but using some 5th edition rules clarifications in play. Probably the option that takes the most amount of work.

2. Marvel FASERIP, using either modelling, fudged random generation, or the point buy system. I'd suggest ditching Karma use for advancement, so that players use it dynamically in play. (You can either assign advancement points separately in some ratio to Karma earned, or simply not use advancement for a shorter campaign.)

3. Big Eyes, Small Mouth. I actually like the rules over Silver Age Sentinels, which adds complexity without adding enough mechanical support for it in places. BESM still suffers from the problem of not offering any balancing benchmarks aside from points, so you need GM oversight on builds, but probably has a few less loopholes than Hero to worry about munchkin builds due to it being a lot simpler.

I keep coming back to HERO System because I know it better than anything else. I can Reason From Effect practically in my sleep. There've been times in my life I could create characters without reference to the book. I could practically run the game without having to reference the book. I play other RPGs, and it's been a long time since I've thought of Hero as the One True RPG, but warts and all it's still my favorite.

I personally think Old Man is dead on, people no longer wish to make the time for a hobby. Most seem to want it served to them like hors d'oeuvres... I think this is both a legacy of video games and television.... Less and less people read or follow pursuits that require actual work. Now, I am not judging this, as people should do what makes them happy, but the dumbing down of America is certainly the big factor in my opinion. So it probably is a lost cause to hope for the hay days of the 80's, as far as TTRP goes... and Hero's rep for complexity (mostly undeserved in my opinion) makes it a prime target for this tar pit... Sad....

I pretty much agree with the comments just above regarding Hero. You can very much set your own complexity level and encourage simpler builds if you want to. Of course, doing so takes effort, and I understand that can be off putting. The prep time and effort with Hero has always been one of its drawbacks.

That said, the only other system I've got much experience with that was mentioned is Marvel FASERIP. I own some of the others, like V&V and the newest Marvel, and the DC/M&M rules, but haven't really dug into them.

So, just a few observations on FASERIP:

Marvel Superheroes Game (FASERP)

This was the first superhero RPG I got involved with. My very first. And it interested me because of the license. I was a huge Marvel Comics fan back in the day.

My problem with it? Only option is random character creation. There is no "point buy" system to build your own characters based on what you wanted to model. It just doesn't have the option.

The Advanced edition, which I think is probably the most widely-played, gives three options in the Player's Book: Premade characters, generated characters, and modeled characters. It gives examples for both generating characters and modeling characters. The Judge's book gives the additional Alien Hero option, of picking an alien race then modifying its baseline stats by rolling on the table used to adjust stats for powered armored characters.

Generated characters aren't totally random. Players roll for an Origin, then roll their FASERIP stats, then roll for their number of powers, power categories, and number of talents. The player can then chose their powers and talents rather than randomly roll them. Randomizing individual powers and talents is an option.

If you don't like random generation, you can simply do character modeling, but for an original character rather than one in the comics. It requires some negotiation, and a bit of effort on the GM's part, but it's doable.

There was also a point buy system published in Dragon Magazine that's still available on the web on FASERIP fan sites. It's slightly flawed in that it doesn't provide guidance on purchasing powers that have no ranks, or on purchasing something like Invulnerability that's technically a CL1000 rank, but if you make up your own rules for those cases, it's very usable.

Also, the books for it? Hardly legible. Which is why I gave up on it and went over to Champions.

I don't understand the hardly legible comment. If it's a comment on the writing being often vague, then I agree. The core books aren't too bad, but there are plenty of entries in, say, The Ultimate Powers Book, that make no sense at all from a mechanics perspective. I think the author of that one had a pretty loose grasp on the game.

Based on what's currently out there, I'd say there are three options for a relatively simple supers RPG, in no particular order:

1. Hero System 4th Edition, but using some 5th edition rules clarifications in play. Probably the option that takes the most amount of work.

2. Marvel FASERIP, using either modelling, fudged random generation, or the point buy system. I'd suggest ditching Karma use for advancement, so that players use it dynamically in play. (You can either assign advancement points separately in some ratio to Karma earned, or simply not use advancement for a shorter campaign.)

3. Big Eyes, Small Mouth. I actually like the rules over Silver Age Sentinels, which adds complexity without adding enough mechanical support for it in places. BESM still suffers from the problem of not offering any balancing benchmarks aside from points, so you need GM oversight on builds, but probably has a few less loopholes than Hero to worry about munchkin builds due to it being a lot simpler.

I played a ton of FASERIP (the advanced version, of course) in highschool, and also made literally many dozens of characters just for fun using it.

I used the point buy system, and rather than using Karma for advancement, we eventually ended up using a more story driven advancement scheme which was neither fair nor balanced but did reward players who actually did stuff with their characters and also modeled comics well.

I had and used the Ultimate Powers Book, and overall liked it. Some of the powers were not just vague but entirely made of handwavium. Balance was not even really a consideration, of course. There was one power, I can't quite remember the name of it but it was something like Molecular Control or Transmutation (or mabye both...its been a couple decades plus a few years) that was basically just a blank check for instance. But the concepts were fun and we worked with it.

FASERIP literally led me straight to the door of Champions 4e and thus the HERO System in general, as I had gotten to the point where the abstractness of the rules was irritating me, and of course Champions was coming from the exact opposite end. However, the sheer fun we had w/ FASERIP was immense and I still think about it fondly all these years later.

I discussed a bit of this issue today with my friend Bo. I mentioned we Yanks need to focus on improving our math skills, and said there are steps GMs can use to simplify, such as not permitting Power Frameworks, which are really a bonus award, and decreasing points allowed for Complications/Disadvantages. barbie-hates-math-518x274.png

Edited by GhostDancer

I discussed a bit of this issue today with my friend Bo. I mentioned we Yanks need to focus on improving our math skills, and said there are steps GMs can use to simplify, such as not permitting Power Frameworks, which are really a bonus award, and decreasing points allowed for Complications/Disadvantages.

barbie-hates-math-518x274.png

What are Power Formats?

EDIT: Never mind. I assume you meant Frameworks.

Out of my entire group of players, they love playing Hero when I GM it. Most of them play other systems when I don't. However, that being said, they keep coming back because pound for pound, Hero is still the best superhero system out there. Other genres require the rules built in to get them to work, but when I want to play superhero games, I've tried to play other systems. They don't work in my head.

Now, granted, there's a certain amount of pleasure in playing for a guy who writes for the system that might have something to do with that. But nonetheless, when they have a question, just like any other group of players, they ask me. I answer the question. We move on.

This begs several other questions about gaming, especially superhero gaming, that I'd like to bring up at this time. And this is pretty simple moralistic stuff.

1) Have we become so narcissistic that the concept of teamwork has passed us by? Superhero games are first and foremost about teamwork. All I've heard in this discussion is "I, I, I," no offense to anyone intended.

2) Is the very internet we post on a part of that narcissism, or is it a true generational shift where people are simply more selfish?

3) Why are we unwilling to do the hard work of basic arithmetic? The math I do for Champions may be harder than the math I do for my day job, but so what? That gives me an advantage in my day job that I am simply unwilling to give up.

4) You get out of a system what you put into it. And that's why I like a lot of Hero's complexity and options. The more you put into something, the more you get out.