Strength in the MHI Universe - do the RPG stats seem a little low?

I just finished reading the first MHI novel and started the second.  Very fun stuff.  I was constantly referring to the RPG to read tidbits about certain characters.  It spoiled some of the mystery but I knew the risk going in.

I think most of the NPC and monster write ups are pretty cool.  I was originally shocked to see some of the extremely HIGH Speed scores for some characters (10+) in some cases but it fits the source material (this isn't a supers setting, the genre I am most familiar with, so the characters wouldn't general translate well into that type of setting without modification). 

On the other hand, the Strength stats for ALL characters and monsters seem rather LOW compared to the source material.  Maybe I'm discounting pushing but the main character of the series (Owen Pitt) is described as a very big, strong and tough 'normal'.  But he only has a 15 STR?!  It seems like he should have at least 5 more than that and this goes for several other characters and monsters.  I'm just spitballing the numbers right now but if we take into account the amount of gear these characters lug around (armor, multiple weapons & ammo) it seems like a 15 STR would be the MINIMUM Strength to be a MHI 'Hunter' if only to deal with the effects of encumberance.

Anyone else have similar thoughts on the subject?

The STR scores were set where they're set because I have precise data on how much individual characters and monsters can lift from Larry Correia. Some of that information is established canonically, and some of it was provided to me by Larry personally, but it all comes straight from the creator of the series.

Similarly, the SPD scores are set based on consultation with the creator of the IP. After I explained to him how SPD worked in the HERO System rules and provided him with some common benchmarks, we hashed out what the SPDs should be for various characters and monsters. Again, this all comes directly from the guy who created these characters, and who had the right of approval to say whether the material I wrote accurately reflected those characters' capabilities.

Hyper-man. I think the problem gets resolved when you start looking at Powers, Martial arts maneuvers, and some of the other combat maneuvers. With Owen's +1 damage class, he's treated as effectively STR20 for martial maneuvers, his punch is 6d6 (from his base HTH of 3d6) and If I'm reading the ruled correctly, he can get to 10d6 with a haymaker.

• 3 weeks later...

When my players are designing "normal" characters I describe the characteristic levels like this:

10 is normal human average

15 is Olympic level

20 is normal human maximum.  Above is going into superhuman category.

4 max speed again for a normal human.

These guidelines are for physical stats only and have worked well for me over the years.  Of course my players have characters all the time that have small random mutations that adjust the stats too :)

Hyper-man. I think the problem gets resolved when you start looking at Powers, Martial arts maneuvers, and some of the other combat maneuvers. With Owen's +1 damage class, he's treated as effectively STR20 for martial maneuvers, his punch is 6d6 (from his base HTH of 3d6) and If I'm reading the ruled correctly, he can get to 10d6 with a haymaker.

If i recall, you can't haymaker a martial manuever.

• 3 weeks later...

On the other hand, the Strength stats for ALL characters and monsters seem rather LOW compared to the source material.

Yeah, I had a rant about this awhile back on (I think) the FB page. I totally see why Steve set the scores where they are based on canon and creator's guidelines. The book states Owen can lift 400 lbs => he has a 15 STR, QED. Julie & Holly both use weapons with Strength Minimums of 12 => they have 12 STR, QED.

But it's problematic from an RPG perspective when the entire range of STR among the human hunters is all of 3 points. Personally, I've always thought the Max Lift weights make no sense for most heroic campaigns, especially when compared to the Weapon Strength Minimums. I can shoot an M16 just fine, thank you; but even when I was in my best shape I couldn't lift 300 pounds without seriously pushing!

My solution for most modern heroic games is to simply redefine lifting STR one down on the STR table:

10 STR => 75 kg

13 STR => 100kg

15 STR => 150 kg

18 STR => 200 kg

20 STR => 300 kg

That would give Owen an 18 STR, and by extrapolation give Franks a 23 or 25. Julie & Holly can keep their 12s. I think that fits the feel of the books better.