Let's talk Web Shooters (the spider-man kind) :P

acide_bob

So yeah, I am building spider-man. and while most of it is nothing hard. (increased dexterity, danger sens et defense maneuver)

his web shooters are increasingly difficult to deal with considering all they can do.

Most of people would probably toss them in a VPP (Focus) but I really don't like the idea.

So my first try was building a MPP all based around the web-shooter. But i ran in a kind of problem considering that the web cartridges are not endless.

And then I had this idea. 

I built a Endurance Reserve 60 end, no recovery (IIF, 6 charges, recoverable)

And basically from there all web-shooters related powers take "endurance" from the this pool.

Web Slinging: swinging, 35m (x8 noncombat) (not sure about the speed of this one), gestures, requires gestures throughout, physical manifestation, cost END to maintain (half), Leaves a trail.

you could add only in alternate identity. but i don't quite like this limitation so i never use it.

Entangle, 7D6 (this amount was picked cause most human will never get through the webbing, but most mildly powered villains can.) Cone 7m cone, non selective, Time limit 2 hours, no range. (I used no range, but i remember seing spider-man use it as a kind of fishing net in some episode when i was young so i'm really not sure)

Webbing Balls, Blast 3D6, autofire (5 shots).

So this as far as i am right now.

The real problem i have is building all those little tricks he does with his web. you know like hitting on/off switchs. I was thinking useing a small telekinesis with physical manifestation.

Also taht move where he jsut tag someone and pulls him.

i was thinking:

Entangle 7d6, 7 PD/7 ED, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4) (105 Active Points); Does Not Prevent The Use Of Accessible Foci (-1), Beam (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)

anyone to  bounce that ball back with me so i can build that spider

if you ahve any other idea concerning our all-time favorite wall-crawler I'm more than welcome.

I think using a Multipower and Charges approach will actually bog things down during game. 

1. Each individual slot cost is representing skill with use of the web slingers. Beyond a certain number of slots a VPP makes more sense and will actually be cheaper.  It just needs to have certain limits in place for what it can be used to do.  And then take a Requires a Roll (skill) Limitation on it to use effectively.  Just because it's a VPP doesn't mean you have to allow the player to make up builds during a game session.  You can still require everything to be built and approved ahead of time (see the VPP on my version of Superman for an example of this).
  2. Putting a standard number of Charges on the overall Multipower or individual slots will become a bookkeeping nightmare very quickly.  I would suggest using a custom Limitatioin approach similar to what I did here* for the 24 hour charge of Green Lantern's ring.

*1 Continuing Charge [1 Day] (Custom Limitation) (Can only be recharged by living wearer with Oan Power Battery (Lantern); -1/4)

For the Web and pull and all of the flipping switches. How about around 35str Telekinesis? Physical Manifestation, IIF webshooter, Beam, Gestures, Instant power.

Why not just Power Skill:  Webslingers?

Remember that not every little tiny thing a character or power can do has to have a full write-up.  Using webslingers to flip a switch seems like a perfect use of the Power Skill - using your powers in creative ways via a skill roll.

You can do almost anything Spiderman can with Entangle, TK and Swinging.  Possibly Barrier too with 6e.

You don't really need Blast as TK can do that.  Mind you, Spidey has used the webs in various ways, often repeated, so you might want to consider a VPP with pre-specified powers, and only allow new ones with a Power Skill roll.  Bear in mind that Barrier and Entangle will remain even if you swap slots.  

Couple of points on the OP: I would have thought that you COULD escape Spiderman's web with teleportation (pretty sure Nightcrawler has) but that it would prevent the use of accessible focii: how many times has he webbed up someone's gun hand?

• 1 month later...

Here is a far more complicated way to build them:

85    Web Shooters (worn on each wrist): Variable Power Pool, 42 base + 60 control cost; Private Adder, Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1); all slots Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (138 Active Points); all slots 2 clips of 1 Continuing Charge lasting 20 Minutes (Increased Reloading Time: 2 Full Phases; Web Fluid; -1/2), IIF (Private Adder is for 5-Point Equipment Doubling Rule (2 Webshooters, 1 on each Arm) from 6e2 page 181; -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4), Gestures (Must be able to squeeze palm trigger to use.; -1/4)

[Notes: Each VPP's (*2 Web Shooters are worn using the Equipment Doubling Rules) require a Skill Roll to change slots.  Every slot has some form of the Range Based on Strength modifier.  This means they effectively still cost the wearer END to use though the exact amount is up to the Player and GM to agree on.  The slots only appear to have 105 Active Points due to the application of Reduced End and Persistent (They are all 60 Active Points if removed from the VPP) These VPP Only Modifiers are only being used to allow the application of the Continuous Charge Modifier to represent the limited amount of Web Fluid carried.  I think this is a much easier method to track than traditional Charges or a separate End Reserve.]
0    1) Web Wall: Barrier 8 PD/7 ED, 9 BODY (up to 8m long, 8m tall, and 1/2m thick), Opaque Sight Group (105 Active Points); Cannot Englobe (-1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) Real Cost: 38 - END=0
0    2) Web Cocooning: Entangle 4d6, 6 PD/5 ED (Stops A Given Sense Normal Sight), Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4) (105 Active Points); Range Based On Strength (-1/4) Real Cost: 42 - END=0
0    3) Thrown Web Balls: Blast 8d6, Reduced Negation (1), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Constant (+1/2) (105 Active Points); Range Based On Strength (-1/4) Real Cost: 42

[Notes: Constant was only included to meet requirement to fit into the VPP due to using a Continuing Charge instead of traditional Charges or End Reserve to describe the limited amount of Web fluid carried.  I would disregard the Constant Advantage otherwise in this case.] - END=0
0    4) Web Rope: Telekinesis (40 STR) (105 Active Points); Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) Real Cost: 38 - END=0
0    5) Web Rope & Web Ballooning: Flight 30m, Range Based On STR (+1/4), Usable As Attack (+1 1/2), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally (105 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Swinging or Gliding (-1) Real Cost: 32

[Notes: Not only does this slot represent Swinging and Gliding.  It also covers Stretching by way of Usable As Attack. This was the only way Ranged Based on Strength (as an Advantage in this instance) could be applied to this slot.] - END=0

Since it is a VPP more slots could be added with no change to costs. Without the Equipment Doubling it would cost 80 Real Points.

Edit

I totally forgot to include a VPP Only Limitation for what types of Powers are available.  I would Make it at Least a -1 Limitation which would change the Total Real cost to 82.

edit - added hdc file 3/1/15

Spider-Man Web Shooters for 6e.hdc

• 9 months later...

Had to bring this back cause I was just messing with a spiderman clone. How would you build a "safety net" type web? Just call it a use of barrier or entangle? I was looking at flight usable against other with various limitations. (P.s. I'm using 5r)

Btw with web rope I wouldn't use no damage limitation but I would use grab only. That way he can use use the rope to grab or grab and throw an opponent.

Had to bring this back cause I was just messing with a spiderman clone. How would you build a "safety net" type web? Just call it a use of barrier or entangle? I was looking at flight usable against other with various limitations. (P.s. I'm using 5r)

Btw with web rope I wouldn't use no damage limitation but I would use grab only. That way he can use use the rope to grab or grab and throw an opponent.

I might add an Uncontrolled version of slot 4) to my build to accomplish it in a fire & forget fashion. No big deal considering that it's a VPP.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For the safety web, I think it's more of an AoE, Uncontrolled, Strength at range, because the safety net flexes and reduces the velocity of falling persons.