How would MHI treat a member infected with the Lycanthrope Virus

A player in my game has been bitten by a werewolf and has become infected (Not Yet Confirmed).  This has resulted in quite a discussion.

In the end it was decided to monitor the character and at the next Full Moon cycle to confine them and observe whether they change.

My thought was on how MHI would react.  Considering their employees I think that MHI would help, get them somewhere isolated and with Earl's help get them to come to terms with the beast and gain some control.

If the condition did become known, especially to MCB I would think MHI would request PUFF exception in which case they would work for Special Task Force Unicorn to earn it.

What are peoples thought on the matter?

That's actually a sub plot in the books.

The Eldest Shackleford is actually a Werewolf. They chain him up during the full moon so he doesn't harm anyone.

So if the character is very well liked, they might allow the character to live. As long as he submits to being chained up in a Werewolf proof cell during Full Moons.

However, it's explicitly said that only a handful of werewolves in history have managed to learn to control it, so having it happen again should be a pretty major plot element just as it was with Harbinger (who basically has an ego that would earn even batman's respect) and with Heather (who has different rules because of the effects of the amulet, an effect which can't be achieved again with the amulet now gone). So everyone would expect that the odds of a teammate managing to learn enough control would be miniscule. In fact, I think that the meta- reason for the amulet giving Heather more control was to bring in a second friendly werewolf without taking away from Harbinger's unique status. Heather is very strong for a pup and is under control, but Harbinger did it the hard way and she didn't. I doubt we'll see anyone else in the series do it the hard way so as to protect Harbinger's uniqueness.

Would they give them a chance anyway? Harbinger did give Heather a chance when he expected her to fail like everyone else, and while that had a lot to do with his feelings for her, it shows that MHI might do the same for a teammate if they can do so without putting everyone in danger. I think if getting a new werewolf to a holding cell endangered anyone, and especially innocents, they'd kill the were just as they would a teammate bitten by zombies or turned into a vampire. For that matter, most of the hunters apparently would probably ask to be killed so as not to turn into a monster just as Heather did (and she hadn't even killed a person).

That's my impression, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

If the condition did become known, especially to MCB I would think MHI would request PUFF exception in which case they would work for Special Task Force Unicorn to earn it.

I would think they'd do everything they could to hide it from MCB/STFU, especially since we've been told PUFF exemptions for werewolves are extremely rare.

I think...I'd lean towards a "re-roll" for the player character if at all possible, personally...because you're setting a precedent. What happens next in your game when a PC gets bit by a vampire, or a zombie?

Several MHI members have been bit by vampires (including Holly). All it means is when you die your teammates have to cut your head off. As for zombies, a zombie bite kills you. What comes back is not you. The character is dead.

Point's wise

Unless you had planned on being a werewolf character, this would be your origin

Points to pay for it would be horrible for a 200pt character

look at Harbinger

and if MCB found out

I'd say the test came back at worst a false positive
with no change during the next full moon

I'd say the test came back at worst a false positive

with no change during the next full moon

I would say that the only problem with this is that the only people who can test for the Lycanthrope virus are MCB and they would shoot the person as soon as the test showed positive, maybe even before that if they think the person was healing too quickly. 

This statement might now be completely accurate. MCB are only people with Field Test Kit to test for Lycanthrope Virus.  A Lab might be able to test for the virus if they knew what they were looking for, however I am unsure if anybody outside MCB in the US knows how to perform these test or is allowed to.

In the end it turned out two of the players had been infected.  That's what happens when you decide to track a Lycanthrope through its forest territory on the night of the fall moon.

In the end they were both confined to the MHI Compound for the next month under armed guard.  One of the players decided to have a bullet put into the back of his head and a hunters funeral.  The other decided to try to learn to control the beast which meant they were taken to a deserted island (the same one Earl used) and would be left there until they learnt to control the beast.  They would be monitored regularly.   This effectively removed the PC from the game as it take years to learn to control the beast if its even possible.

So we had two new members joined to the squad.

Yeah, plot options in books are different than in rpg's, and everyone's going to want a different "feel", but I think going dead or NPC and 're-roll' is the best way to create dramatic monster hunting tension, and besides once a single player gets "cool stuff" from getting infected, the game goes to Monty Haul.  :weep:

Yeah, plot options in books are different than in rpg's, and everyone's going to want a different "feel", but I think going dead or NPC and 're-roll' is the best way to create dramatic monster hunting tension, and besides once a single player gets "cool stuff" from getting infected, the game goes to Monty Haul.  :weep:

Oooohhhhh....Shiny, Shiny, Shiny.  I want to be a Vampire-Werewolf-Mage-Ghost-Thingy! :P

~ M