Mood Music

tkdguy

Originally part of a soundtrack for a "low rent version of Star Wars" (according to a review quoted by Wikipedia), but the song fits a moody, dark cityscape.

A collaboration between Alan Parsons, David Gilmour (of Pink Floyd) and the band Shpongle, gives kind of a "Blade Runner" meets "X-Files" vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlOwosCbW6Y

• 2 weeks later...

Other Golden Earring songs fitting the genre are "Ce Soir" and "Quiet Eyes": both are about betrayal.

I might put in Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Tin Pan Alley" in the mix, too.

For more recent stuff, Within Temptation's "What Have You Done" and "Stand My Ground".

On a light-hearted note, Warren Zevon's "Lawyers, Guns, and Money".

Most of those make me thing "80's Cop Show," which, if you like white suits with boat shoes and pastel t-shirts is a subset of Dark Champions, I guess.

I'm a child of the 80's. All of those songs have an extant set of associations that I just can't get past.

None of them say "Dark Avenger of the Night" to me. I mean, Man in Motion and Self Control, really?

I've gotta agree with Vondy here. All of these are good to great songs, but don't really convey Dark Champions to me. My tastes are very selective though. Try the Blade Runner score, the Elfman Batman score, or something else moody like that. Assuming you want 80's. The more recent Batman Begins music is pretty much the definition of Dark Champions for me. I don't even have a problem getting past the movie imagery either. The music is just that good. Overall, I would consider instrumental scores of more use than pop songs.

If you are looking for more mainstream radio music, I have a harder time suggesting music. The 80's seemed a lot more cheery than these days. Here a few suggestions;

"Welcome to the Machine" by Pink Floyd

"Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" (I prefer the Roger Daltrey version but you can have the Elton John version if you like)

"Lunatic Fringe" by Red Rider.

"Scoundrel Days" a-ha

"Ride Across the River" "The Man's Too Big, The Man's Too Strong" "Brothers in Arms" from the B-Side to Dire Straights Brothers in Arms (though that would be more for retrospective scenes than action).

"Bravado" Rush

"Red Barchetta" Rush

Almost anything by Front 242 but especially "Felines" and "Headhunter"

"Targeted" by Intermix

I think if it were played on America's Top 40, then it will probably have a hefty association with some other media. That makes some songs difficult to use.

I guess I'm just into heroic campaigns that much more than superheroic campaigns. I'm okay with the private eye or police inspector genre as part of Dark Champions. I'm okay with Batman or Punisher types of campaigns, but I don't often run those too much nowadays.

Not all mood music needs to concentrate on the hero or villain, nor does it always have to be "battle music." It can help set the tone in a certain scene, maybe a night club or a scene where a PC/NPC is elated, depressed etc. Instrumentals are great in general, but some scenes work better with a singer. I once used Lena Horne as a minor NPC's introduction, since she was a singer at a club.

I guess it just depends on the type of game you're running.

I don't mean to disrespect anybody's musical inclinations. I just don't see much of the originally listed music being particularly evocative of the Dark Champions genre. That's my preference. In terms of the listed music, I generally actually like it a lot.  Just wanted to clear that air lest anybody think I was trying to be snobbish.

• 5 weeks later...

And I would add some retro 80's synth such as

track from an artist name of Perturbator, or check out tracks by Noir Deco, including one called Cyberpolis.

Or, y'know, you could just have Vangelis and Jean MIchel Jarre. There's an album by Vangelis called

. Tangerine Dream also do great work.

Yes, I'm a fan of electronica. You can tell, can't you? :)