Turakian Age - Digital Maps

lou_tennant

Are there any available in a digital format for download?

I have bought the PDF and most of the 5th Ed books (FH, Grimoire, etc) and I have found an overall map of Ambrethel, but I need more regional maps and ones that I can 'zoom' in to be able to add details specific to my game.

Copies of the ones from the TA PDF would be a good start.

Cheers

D.

The best that's legally available, from the "Free Stuff" section of this website, are JPG copies of the whole-world map from the TA book, in color or b&w, with text or without, in various sizes. You can download them from this webpage: http://www.herogames.com/freeStuff.htm?category=Maps

Frequent Hero Games cartographer Keith Curtis has some of his work from The Turakian Age and other sources among the samples hosted on his personal website, although none of the regional maps from TA. FWIW his samples are here: http://kacurtis.com/Map_Samples/

Your best available option may be to print out the map pages from your PDF copy of TA. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• 1 month later...

The best that's legally available, from the "Free Stuff" section of this website, are JPG copies of the whole-world map from the TA book, in color or b&w, with text or without, in various sizes. You can download them from this webpage: http://www.herogames.com/freeStuff.htm?category=Maps

Frequent Hero Games cartographer Keith Curtis has some of his work from The Turakian Age and other sources among the samples hosted on his personal website, although none of the regional maps from TA. FWIW his samples are here: http://kacurtis.com/Map_Samples/

Your best available option may be to print out the map pages from your PDF copy of TA. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I have been in touch with Keith Curtis as suggested. He has been very helpful, but he will not release all of the other maps he has until HERO gives him the okay. I suggested to him that I thought it would be great if they were available to those that had purchased the PDF/book - or even just generally for download.

Portions of his recent email to me :

"... I can't release anything without some official word from someone like Jason Walters, who I believe is now in control of the IP. I just don't have the rights to release files. ...

... I will send an enquiry to Jason and see what he says. ..."

So, if you are reading this Jason, please can you get in touch with Keith and allow him to send things on, and/or get things added to the downloads section.

Cheers

I suggested to him that I thought it would be great if they were available to those that had purchased the PDF/book - or even just generally for download.

I could get on board with that.  For me maps are priceless and I'd LOVE to be able to purchase highres versions of the maps in the Hero Books that could be printed without pixilation.    It is one of the reasons so many of my games happen in Hudson City.    I zoom in and print off a part of the map and write on it. 

I have no idea how selling the Hudson City map worked out, but selling individual maps from existing products at $5 like the HC map (or $10 depending)  would definitely be down my alley.   I run a lot of pulp and regularly wish I could get the maps in Pulp Hero at a bit higher in resolution. 

If they still had all the original art, maybe even have "Map Packs" like they have packs for HD. 

No idea of how feasible any of this is, but I I hope it is possible...

Thanks for the support guys, I was sure I wasn't the only one out here interested in this kind of thing.

A 'support' pack of extras like the artwork, maps, etc. for each product would make sense - after all someone has gone to all the effort to create them and often only a small amount is seen/used.

I had a similar issue when I was using the Valdorian Age (one of the other Hero Fantasy Settings) and the maps that were available.  What I did was to scan the maps in the book and use a very useful tool called Hexographer to create the maps I needed.  Hexographer allows you to 'trace' a new map based on an existing jpg/png file.  Another useful feature is child maps.  So you can mark out an area of a map and have Hexographer produce a more "detailed map" based on the parent.  The professional version is worth every penny IMO.

Here is an example of the main map (basically the trace) of Sarth (one of the continents in the Valdorian Age).  I linked parts of the map to other parts of the site.  If you click on the Frontier link it will take you to an older map.  But if you click from that map on the area surrounding Elweir you will find a 'child map' that was based on the Sarth map.  The 'in-between' maps were not replaced because I didn't have time to do that.

As for Cities I would suggest the companion product Cityographer which is very customizable.  This is another product that is worth every penny.

• 2 months later...

I now have the original artwork files from Keith Curtis and the permission (from HERO) to post them on here.

I need to work on some of the files and export to usable formats for a variety of purposes. Once I have done this I will get them uploaded and post back here with links to help promote their existence. 

• 8 months later...

I now have the original artwork files from Keith Curtis and the permission (from HERO) to post them on here.

I need to work on some of the files and export to usable formats for a variety of purposes. Once I have done this I will get them uploaded and post back here with links to help promote their existence. 

Any update on this?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...