Why is it so slow in here?

NuSoardGraphite

I think all of this talk has me motivated enough now, I will get to making adventures again. I will my own exsisting setting and magic system, include some adventures to go in it and share it. All in all I hope it works out.

I know a lot of people are infavor of community projects, but my experience is that community projects get either pushed by and forgotten.

I hope I stay motivated enough to stay on top of it and finish. When i am done i should have 10 adventures, mini setting and a mini (numbers light) magic system.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all of this talk has me motivated enough now, I will get to making adventures again. I will my own exsisting setting and magic system, include some adventures to go in it and share it. All in all I hope it works out.

I know a lot of people are infavor of community projects, but my experience is that community projects get either pushed by and forgotten.

I hope I stay motivated enough to stay on top of it and finish. When i am done i should have 10 adventures, mini setting and a mini (numbers light) magic system.

Go for it dude. the more stuff people put out there, the higher chance we can convince other people to try the system. just make sure you don't make the characters so convoluted that newbies can't decipher the script!

It seems to me that people are going about recruiting new players to HERO the wrong way. sounds like most of you are trying to recruit whole groups of players all at once. what you need to do is separate them, get each individual player in the group alone, then convince them to try HERO in a solo effort. try these steps:

1: find the most malleable person in the group. the one that doesnt mind trying out new systems.

2: invite him or her to your place without any of the other players.

3: tell them you are thinking of running a new game, but you arent sure how to play it yet and that you want their help in creating a character and playing a couple of solo sessions to get the hang of it.

4: determin you genre, likely fantasy as most roleplayers are interested in that, then sit down and make the type of character that person likes to play best. make sure you emphasize the points of character creation you think would interest them most.

5: run the solo session. play to the strenghts of the character that was made. if its a fighter, emphasize the combat system. make sure they get to use all the basic functions of combat (using skill levels to increase damage, emphasize how great the hit location system in the game is. show them how effective a defense sheilds can be. how martial arts increases combat capability) if they are a mage, emphasize the versatility of magic in the game etc. chances are pretty good that they'll love it.

6: do as many solo sessions as you think it takes to hook them. should only take 2 or 3.

7: rince and repeat with other members of the group one at a time. once you've convinced one or two members, yo will now have allies to your cause. they can join you in play sessions when converting the others.

8: congratulations, you now have a group willing to take on a fantasy hero campaign. have fun!

I suspect that either introducing groups of players or just a single one will work.  Whether it works or not is situational in any respect.  

These are the days when I miss the old magazines (Dragon, White Dwarf, etc.) when they supported more than just the publisher's games.  Unfortunately, the times have changed a publishing a physical magazine is a cost that is tough to bear.  That's not to say that it couldn't be done on the web.  But there would still be the two big problems of time and money.

My current gaming group is made up of people who didn't know how to play Hero.  I taught everyone of them.  Now my son is GMing a game.  And one of the other players wants to run his campaign.  when he told me he had some 'mish-mash rule system' I told him "I will only play Hero."  Now he is trying to figure out how to make the $s to purchase the books (he is a teenager).

I eventually convert all the groups i play with to HERO. and in general, HERO becomes the default game system. once the players figure out the powers creation system, they tend to be hooked.

I recently had an old gaming buddy come to visit for the holidays, and she brought her live-in boyfriend with her, who is a very experienced gamer but with little experience with HERO (which he knew of as champions of course). in the midst of a discussion on various roleplaying systems, my friend pipped up "I much prefer hero over all the others we've played. you can do so much more to customize your character, i had so much fun with it." leaving her boyfriend (who is also her current GM) rather speachless. i had to restrain the pride i was feeling to keep it from beaming out of me.

Out of all the people i gamed with regularly, i only "failed" to convert one of them to HERO. he played with us when i gm'd it of course, and he had fun with it, but he never wrapped his mind around how to make a character. didnt even bother to try and figure out how to construct a power in hero. his preferred game systems were very light on character creation and if you ever played a game where characters had powers, you just wrote the power down on your sheet and asigned it a skill number from your available skill points and the gm would pull the rest out of his butt. consequently, i remember those games devolving into a lot of arguments and the vast majority of them never ran to their story's conclusion, whereas all the games i ran using HERO, ran to a satisfying conclusion. one of the reasons i prefer a rules consistent system vs a rules lite system.