Urban Fantasy Dream Team -- The League of Extraordinary Monster Hunters

mattingly

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Carl Kolchak is a GREAT answer.  I used to sneak in and watch from behind the couch.  I think my Mom knew I was there, but as long as I pretended to hide, she pretended to not see me.

What about the Iron Druid, Atticus, by Kevin Hearne?  He and Oberon could definitely fight some monsters.

I would also think Harry Dresden fits into the MHI world quite easily.

Hey Tasha,

Rather than stating what wouldn't fit, what is your opinion?

If you are the new lead on the East Frisco team, who would your dream team be made of:

From my limited U.F. reading I can see Harry Dresden fitting into MHI as a consultant, but not a permanent hero.  His adversity to technology would wreck havoc on Skippy's flying machine.

I think Carl Kolchak as a "knows the truth" reporter who joins the team is also a great addition.

Both of those guys are from Chicago and I think they would be fun to add in.

Personally my dream team would include:

Father Lankester Merrin [He is the priest/archeologist  from the Exorcist]

SSG Timothy L. Kellner [arguably one of the greatest long range shooters of all time]

Doc Savage [before he was a Superhero and just a doctor, martial artist, archeologist, and all around great guy]

Kate Libby (a.k.a. Acid Burn)...it's my dream team and I want a hacker on that team...it might as well be Angelina...of Course I think Laura Croft has possibilities, but only one Angelina at a time

Indiana Jones Scientist, Archeologist, whip master and a nose for bad stuff

and me...

I have a priest, a shooter, a doctor, a hacker and Han Solo...I think my team would rock.

• 7 months later...

Hey Tasha,

Rather than stating what wouldn't fit, what is your opinion?

If you are the new lead on the East Frisco team, who would your dream team be made of:

From my limited U.F. reading I can see Harry Dresden fitting into MHI as a consultant, but not a permanent hero.  His adversity to technology would wreck havoc on Skippy's flying machine.

I think Carl Kolchak as a "knows the truth" reporter who joins the team is also a great addition.

Both of those guys are from Chicago and I think they would be fun to add in.

Personally my dream team would include:

Father Lankester Merrin [He is the priest/archeologist  from the Exorcist]

SSG Timothy L. Kellner [arguably one of the greatest long range shooters of all time]

Doc Savage [before he was a Superhero and just a doctor, martial artist, archeologist, and all around great guy]

Kate Libby (a.k.a. Acid Burn)...it's my dream team and I want a hacker on that team...it might as well be Angelina...of Course I think Laura Croft has possibilities, but only one Angelina at a time

Indiana Jones Scientist, Archeologist, whip master and a nose for bad stuff

and me...

I have a priest, a shooter, a doctor, a hacker and Han Solo...I think my team would rock.

My choices for the Monster Hunter Dream Team are on page 1.

They don't fit into the MHI universe due to how monsters work in MHI. Nearly all of the non humans are irredeemably evil. So nuanced characters like Anita Blake, or the Cornicks can't exist in MHI. Vampires and Werewolves basically eat humans in MHI. They WOULD fit in a more generic Urban Fantasy

• 1 month later...

real world five

Jerry Miculek professional speed shooter

Ronda Rousey female MMA fighter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw7Jt2bZCBU

Isao Machii modern samurai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDF1MGke8aA

Hafthór Björnsson strong man and game of throne actor

Jamie Hyneman master fabricator, SFX artist, certified dive master,[ wilderness survival expert, boat captain,[8] linguist, pet shop owner, animal wrangler, machinist, concrete inspector, and chef.

• 2 months later...

I would say Jackie Estacado from The Darkness, but he's honestly just as likely to be the problem as to solve it.

Frankly, I'm down with pretty much anybody on the team, so long as they've got the support staff from Captain Britain and MI:13. Just imagining Blake and Dresden with that kind of a crime lab... whoo. I feel safer already.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Faith Lehane the Vampire Slayer!! Who needs Buffy? Put her on a team with Harry Dresden, Capt. Jack Harkness, Blade the other flavor of Vampire Slayer, Lara Croft and Edmund Blackadder as designated sneaky bastard. All led by Agent Phil Coulson.

That's a show I'd watch every week til I died and come back to life just to see the reruns.

Okay, I'll give this a shot.  I decided to follow a few rules here.  No superheroes.  Nobody whose existence or abilities would too drastically change the nature of the "world" (no Care Bears, Voltron, or Dexter's Lab).  People must be able to at least pass as human, so no Robocop.  Stayed with modern-ish time frame. Late 20th century, early 21st century (so no Li Mu Bai).  Significant preference given to stuff I like, so no Vin Diesel.  And a "one Arnold limit" is in place.  So I'll have a strike team and a support team.  Strike team should be able to go into combat with, or at least assassinate, any kind of weird thing.  Support team provides information, tech, and associated weirdness.

Strike team:

John Matrix, Commando

--The field commander of the team.  Tremendous physical strength and combat ability.

commando-L-pgD_vg.jpeg

Dexter Morgan, Dexter

--A serial killer who hunts other serial killers is very useful.  Not a direct combatant, but an assassin.

5f0d49c5f0c87d05dc2de13657051a9c.jpg

Connor Macleod, Highlander

--A lot of combat experience, good with a sword, doesn't die.

1-highlander-christopher-lambert.jpg

Shia Lebeouf

--Just so he can get killed.

shia_labeouf-218x300.jpg

Bryan Mills, Taken

--Good detective, good at hunting people down and finding them.

Picture_17.png

John MacClane, Die Hard

--Quintessential action hero.  Hard to kill.

now-i-have-a-machine-gun-die-hard-sm.jpg

Samantha Stephens, Bewitched

--Magic support.  Not every monster can be shot or stabbed.

tve12230-19671116-40.jpg

Cameron Vale, Scanners

--Head exploding psychics are a good addition to the team.

scanners_br4.jpg

Support team:

Cole Sear, The Sixth Sense

--The "I see dead people" kid.  Never know when that's gonna come in handy.  Good for figuring out what monster just killed people.

21636-24520.gif

Philo, UHF

--"Today, we are going to learn to make Plutonium from common household items."

5548076_std.jpg

Alex Gardner, Dreamscape

--Never know when you need an expert at dream combat.

Dreamscape-1984-Movie-3.jpg

Q, 007 series

--Because exploding pens and submarine cars and laser wristwatches are cool.

Q-james-bond-inventor.jpg

Danny Torrance, The Shining

--He's an adult now, but another highly psychic kid is good to have around.  Don't send him into old hotels though.

danny.jpg

Faith Lehane the Vampire Slayer!! Who needs Buffy? Put her on a team with Harry Dresden, Capt. Jack Harkness, Blade the other flavor of Vampire Slayer, Lara Croft and Edmund Blackadder as designated sneaky bastard. All led by Agent Phil Coulson.

That's a show I'd watch every week til I died and come back to life just to see the reruns.

I'm amused that the first three are all linked by James Marsters (spike in Buffy the voice of Harry dresden in the excellent audio-books of the series and captain John Hart enemy/ally of Captain Jack on torchwood).

Looking at his Imdb page I notice he has the unique distinction of playing both Buzz Aldrin and Ted Bundy

(there's an elevator pitch in THAT. " one's walked on the moon the others a murdering loon together they fight crime ALDRIN and BUNDY. keep your nose clean or your BUZZ-TED" )

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...