Urban Fantasy Dream Team -- The League of Extraordinary Monster Hunters

mattingly

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nayland Smith is the sidekick, Fu Manchu is the real hero.. .

Wait. That doesn't work. It should work, but it doesn't. It's odd that we're willing to slyly rewrite the classic story to make Wang the hero, and Jack Burton the buffoonish sidekick, but for all the face turns in lterature, we're so unready for a Fu Manchu/Lo Pan as a hero that, as far as I can tell, no-one has ever done it. 

Nayland Smith is the sidekick, Fu Manchu is the real hero.. .

Wait. That doesn't work. It should work, but it doesn't. It's odd that we're willing to slyly rewrite the classic story to make Wang the hero, and Jack Burton the buffoonish sidekick, but for all the face turns in lterature, we're so unready for a Fu Manchu/Lo Pan as a hero that, as far as I can tell, no-one has ever done it. 

Well, one is switching the rolls of the hero and villain, the other is switching the role of hero and sidekick, so the two aren't really comparable at all.  Add to that the fact that Wang is intentionally portrayed as more competent than Jack and I'm not understanding who is being accused of "rewriting the classic story".  There are plenty examples in modern entertainment of classic villains being portrayed as heroes.