Golden Age Justice Society of America - 6e, 400 points-ish

assault

A couple of years ago, I wrote up a number of Golden Age characters on 250 points, under 5th Edition. Now I am going to attempt the same under 6th, except at 400 points. This should allow me to fill in some of the gaps my original attempt left.

I am going to initially limit my focus to JSA members, specifically its final Golden Age membership. That means: the Atom, Black Canary, Doctor Mid-Nite, Flash, Hawkman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman.  (Possibly Hawkgirl too).

This is a nice line up of favourite characters, without awkward ones like the Spectre and Johnny Thunder, or the ring-ins who only appeared in a couple of adventures. Thus no Superman, Batman, Wildcat, Mr Terrific, or Red Tornado. In practice, no Doctor Fate :( , Hourman, Starman or Sandman either.

My original characters were based very strictly on the characters as they first appeared. This isn’t really appropriate for the period I am modeling, where only Black Canary was anything close to being a rookie. I’ll therefore definitely have to avoid some of the shortcuts I took. Despite this, I am going to focus fairly narrowly on the core functions of the characters.

A bench check suggests that the characters should vary in their point totals, rather than be shoehorned into a single total. Specifically, I suspect that they would vary, from highest to lowest totals, in the following order: Wonder Woman, Hawkman, Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, Doctor Mid-Nite, Black Canary.

In fact, I suspect that I could reasonably fit the last three into 300 points, and the two above them into 400 comfortably. WW and Hawkman would need to be trimmed to fit into 400. Hawkman in particular has a lot of “stuff” outside his core functions, which would probably attract the razor.

Naturally I will start with Wonder Woman.

This project will, of course, take place subject to my time and interest.

Wonder Woman's abilities are a massive ambit claim.

Basically she has every skill ever, superstrength, speed, toughness, intelligence, wisdom, beauty... She can play bullets and bracelets, run at 80 miles an hour, jump large distances, wing walk, is a brilliantly trained fighter, has a high-tech plane and a magic lasso.

You could easily build two separate characters dividing up her abilities between them. She's pretty much certain to blow any budget you set for her. Obviously, she will need to be trimmed dramatically. Fortunately, I think this is possible without completely destroying the character.

The skill part is obviously the first to go. She doesn't need most of them. A lot of her other stuff is only relative to the other characters, and to normals. As long as she is impressive with respect to normals, and credible with respect to the other characters, she should be OK.

Wonder Woman's abilities are a massive ambit claim.

Basically she has every skill ever, superstrength, speed, toughness, intelligence, wisdom, beauty... She can play bullets and bracelets, run at 80 miles an hour, jump large distances, wing walk, is a brilliantly trained fighter, has a high-tech plane and a magic lasso.

You could easily build two separate characters dividing up her abilities between them. She's pretty much certain to blow any budget you set for her. Obviously, she will need to be trimmed dramatically. Fortunately, I think this is possible without completely destroying the character.

The skill part is obviously the first to go. She doesn't need most of them. A lot of her other stuff is only relative to the other characters, and to normals. As long as she is impressive with respect to normals, and credible with respect to the other characters, she should be OK.

Maybe Wonder Woman could have Cramming to allow her to use various skills as they come up.

She should always have Contortionist, Paramedic, Bureaucratics, and Oratory based on the early comics.

• 2 weeks later...

I may go for a soft option version of the character. There's a writeup of a lasso clearly modeled on WW's in Champions Complete. I'll modify it for Golden Age purposes and just glue it into the character.

I'll fudge the Invisible Plane by buying it as focused flight. If it's a universal focus, it can be stolen from her, which actually happened once. IIF should be right - it's invisible, and can only be stolen if you know where it is. She won't be able to afford enough flight to dogfight Axis aircraft at first, but that's OK enough.

---

Golden Lasso (based on the CORD OF HONESTY from Champions Complete):

This magical golden rope compels obedience from anyone it binds.

Game Information:
Cost Power
35 Compel Obedience: Mind Control 14d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Alternate Combat Value (uses OCV against DCV; +0) (105 Active Points); OAF (Unbreakable; -1), No Range (-½), Must Follow Grab (-½)

8 Rope’s Reach: Stretching 15m, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (22 Active Points); OAF (Unbreakable; -1), Always Direct (-¼), No Noncombat Stretching (-¼), Range Modifier Applies (-¼)

4 Acts As A Swingline: Swinging 15m, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (10 Active Points); OAF (Unbreakable; -1), Lockout (prevents use of Mind Control or Stretching; -½)

Real Cost: 47 CP

---

Eyeballing things, it might actually be cheaper to buy her plane as a plane!

However, about 50m Flight, x8 NCM should do, if we use the 5e figures for WW2 era aircraft. She won't be encountering the really fast ones at first. Reduce her endurance cost - 1/2 or 0. Let's say 0 END.

So that would be (50+10) 60, 0 END +1/2 => 90 Active points! Pricy.

On the plus side, the plane counts as IIF, Bulky (-3/4)

Invisible Plane

51 Normal flight: 50m Flight, Improved Noncombat Movement (8x, +10 points), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (90 Active Points); IIF (-1/4), Bulky focus (-1/2)

4 Megascale flight: 2m Flight, Megascale (100km, +1 3/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (6 Active Points); IIF (-1/4), Bulky focus (-1/2)

Real Cost: 55 CP

I may have messed something up.

I should probably throw in something to represent her mental radio, but whatever.

In any case, I've spent 102 points just there, which only leaves 300 to buy everything else! I can't even multipower them, since she uses her lasso from the wing of her plane all the time. :(

I knew she was going to blow her budget.

Complications: rough draft

15 Secret ID: Diana Prince

15 DNPC: Steve Trevor

20 Psych: Superpatriot (US, despite being from Paradise Island ;) )

15 Hunted: Axis spies

10 something

Etta Candy is more a follower, but could be a DNPC. General(?) Darnell serves as a DNPC on occasion too.

Or she could take another Psych complication.

Or subject to orders (Army)

Or whatever.

Wonder Woman

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

20 EGO 20

15 PRE 5

18 COM 4

5 PD 2

5 ED 1

4 SPD 10

7 REC 0

40 END 0

28 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 100 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

2 AK: Paradise Island 11-

2 AK: Washington, D.C. 11-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bureacratics 12-

3 Contortionist 13-

3 Conversation 12-

3 Disguise 12-

3 Fast Draw 13-

5 FB: Amazon Princess

1 FB: Registered Nurse

2 FB: U.S. Military Officer

2 Navigation [Air] 12-

3 Oratory 12-

3 Paramedic 12-

2 PS: Nurse 11-

2 PS: Secretary 11-

2 Rep: Super Heroine 11-

3 Tactics 12-

Total Skills Cost: 50 Points

Cost Powers

12 Armor +5 rPD +5 rED, Does Not Work When Bracelets Are Chained Together By A Man (-1/4)

7 DEX +6, NFC (-1/2), Linked [FF] (-1/2), OIF: Bracelets (-1/2)

15 EC [Magic]-15 Points

8 1) Flight 7", 1/2 END (+1/4), Useable Simultaneously (+1/2), Variable Advantages (+1/2),

[Megascale 1km, or No END Only (-1/4)], IIF[bulky]: Invisible Plane (-3/4)

10 2) FF +10 rPD +10 rED, No END (+1/2), OIF: Bracelets (-1/2)

12  3) STR +30, Does Not Work When Bracelets Are Chained Together By A Man (-1/4)

6 4) Stretching 4", No END (+1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat (-1/4), OAF: Magic Lasso (-1)

20 Multipower (50 Points) No Range (-1/2), OAF: Magic Lasso (-1)

2 u) Entangle 2d6 DEF 2, BOECV (+1), Takes No Damage From Physical Attacks (+1/4), Works Against EGO Not STR (+1/4)

2 u) Mind Control 10d6

15 Multipower (15 Points) Does Not Work When Bracelets Are Chained Together By A Man (-1/4)

1 u) Healing: Regeneration 1 BODY/Turn

1 u) Leaping +15"

1 u) Running +5", 4x NCM

5 LS: Longevity [immortal]

Total Powers Cost: 100 Points

Total Cost: 250 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Etta Candy (Unaware Useful Normal) 8-

10 DNPC: Steve Trevor (Unaware Useful Normal) 8-

5 Enraged When Bracelets Are Removed (Uncommon) 8-, Recover 14-

10 Hunted: Cheet

20 PsyL: Code Of The Hero (Very Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Superpatriot (Common/Total)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Princess Diana/Diana Prince] (Occasionally/Major)

15 Vuln: Ambushes/Treacherous Attacks, 1 1/2x STUN (Very Common)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

My 5th Edition version of the Golden Age Wonder Woman.