What RPG worlds do you wish would be converted to Hero

Tasha

One thing that strikes me when I browse DriveThru RPG's Superhero and other Genre selections is how many game worlds out there that have been converted to various systems (ie M&M, Icons, Savage Worlds etc). I look at some of those worlds and think that they would be great worlds to have a Hero System (Champions) version of. I saw that "The Kerberos Club" was supposed to have a Hero Translation in 2011, but something happened to derail that.

So what other Third Party Worlds would you like to see a Hero System version of?

I would love to see:
Castle Falkenstein
Interface Zero
Traveller (6e version :D)
Prime Directive (or any Trek)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Falkenstein would be perfect, if only because I've always wanted to play a Falkenstein campaign but never got to.

Shadowrun would be another good one, god what a terrible system.  I know there have been previous attempts to make the conversion, but I don't think there's anything current.

Anima would be another one, for power level reasons.

Falkenstein would be perfect, if only because I've always wanted to play a Falkenstein campaign but never got to.

Shadowrun would be another good one, god what a terrible system.  I know there have been previous attempts to make the conversion, but I don't think there's anything current.

Anima would be another one, for power level reasons.

Actually someone is currently working on a conversion for Shadowrun.  I played their game at 2013 GenCon and it was excellent.

A Rifts conversion will never happen. The IP owner thinks that any such conversion will negatively impact his sales. Same with fan sites and other fan based content. The IP's owner is a jerk.

Exalted has a better chance of happening. There was briefly a GURPS Vampire and Werewolf. So there's someone at WW that may still be open to licencing their world IP to other game systems.

I really wish that Hero Games had done more Licences period. I know that they can be expensive and a PITA. That sometimes you will end up with hundreds of books that you are supposed to shread. IMHO one draw to GURPS was always the licenced product. That you could pick up like GURPS Horseclans and play a game in that world. Or Gurps Traveller etc. That was important. The emphasis on the Toolkit to the exclusion of everything else hurt it's adoption among gamers, who at most played some Champions back in the day.

I really wish that Hero Games had done more Licences period. I know that they can be expensive and a PITA. That sometimes you will end up with hundreds of books that you are supposed to shread. IMHO one draw to GURPS was always the licenced product. That you could pick up like GURPS Horseclans and play a game in that world. Or Gurps Traveller etc. That was important. The emphasis on the Toolkit to the exclusion of everything else hurt it's adoption among gamers, who at most played some Champions back in the day.

Conversely I also wish Hero Games had kept up with their own CU IP.  I know Flare and the other Champions books by Eclipse met with limited success, but there's still a lot of untapped potential in the characters that Hero still owns.  (And I would kill for a comic based on Strike Force, too.)

Conversely I also wish Hero Games had kept up with their own CU IP.  I know Flare and the other Champions books by Eclipse met with limited success, but there's still a lot of untapped potential in the characters that Hero still owns.  (And I would kill for a comic based on Strike Force, too.)

Flare was never owned by Hero Games. All of the stuff that Heroic Publishing put out was with permission of the original character creators. Hero Games had no rights to use those characters.There was a brief deal between Hero Games and Heroic Publishing to use "Champions" and to include Hero System stats in the Comics. Those comics were all pretty darned bad, and eventually got really super bad.

I think that porting the Guardians Universe to become the default became mired in mixed IP's. Which is why they went with the constructed team "The Champions"

This probably assumes that the one converting it shares my general taste in rules adaptions and view of the particular setting? Which isn't rather likely, so depending on how much that differs my benefit from this varies. I'd rather see more settings where the mechanics don't matter that much and it isn't cluttered with needless NPC statistics (Worst example: Every D&D book about religions. You want to know more about churches and beliefs, and what you get is friggin' stat blocks for the deities. Especially in 3E, where this took several pages.)

Having said that, I'd like a WFRP conversion. Low-level HERO is something you don't see that often and I would wonder if they even could get some limited lifepath character generation into play.

Shadow World (Kulthea) that's my main campaign setting for Fantasy Hero.

RIFTS (I know, zero chance, but it would still be cool)

The Wheel of Time (Hero's VPP is perfect for representing The One Power)

Gamma World (the original PA game.  I still love how it was represented and the wide variety of power levels found within)

Wild, Wild West

Which one, the series or the movie version? And there was/is a Western Hero book.

I would like to see the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" universe.   It is one of the very few series out there that has successfully combined characters from wildly divergent power levels (normal to epic to demigod to god) in the same story line and yet make them fit smoothly.  He was also able to present beings that do not think like humans in a manner that avoids the  "human in a rubber mask" syndrome.   But be warned the first book of the series "Gardens of the Moon" is a bit rough to get through.  The author jumps right in the middle of his fully developed world and you have a LOT of terms, titles and name thrown at you in short order.  But once over the hump the series is one of the best realized fantasy worlds I have seen in years for depth of detail and history. 

This is also why I don't believe it will ever be actually done.  

The Mass Effect universe minus everything that happened in the main plot arc through the three games.  Bioware built, IMO, the single best space opera setting ever. I like it more than Star Trek, Star Wars, Andromeda, BSG, and any other that I can quickly think of. Then they pissed it down their proverbial legs with the main story arc. The worst part is that they could have used that arc to their advantage. They chose, instead, to throw away such a great setting for some sense of embittered revenge against the players/consumers that fed them*. Anyway, I would love to see the universe converted. I'll just ignore the Reaper invasion as presented in the games.

*I realize this sounds bitter. Trust me, it doesn't even compare to the actual emotions it stirs up. My initial reaction was very.....visceral. I think the words "beat to within an inch of their lives" entered the discussion at one point. And I tend to be really easy going about such things.