What RPG worlds do you wish would be converted to Hero

Tasha

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Third Imperium - don't try to replicate the mechanics of Traveller, but do port in that sweet, sweet setting.

Shadowrun - I've yet to see it done well, and was just this evening considering whether I wanted to invest some time in trying to detail a good Hero adaptation of the astral and spirits in that vein.

Star Frontiers - an old favorite, a little goofy, a little two-dimensional, but full of good memories for me.

And I, too, would love to see Glorantha done right.

Amber Diceless

:stupid:  :slap:

I could see it. While a lot of people playing Amber Diceless like the Diceless part of the system. I know people who would be happier with a Dice Mechanic. If you brought Amber to Hero you may as well also Bring Lords of Gossamer and Shadow to Hero as well. LoGS has a much better setting IMHO, but still has a bit of the Amber feel.

The Third Imperium - don't try to replicate the mechanics of Traveller, but do port in that sweet, sweet setting.

Shadowrun - I've yet to see it done well, and was just this evening considering whether I wanted to invest some time in trying to detail a good Hero adaptation of the astral and spirits in that vein.

Star Frontiers - an old favorite, a little goofy, a little two-dimensional, but full of good memories for me.

And I, too, would love to see Glorantha done right.

I started a sci-fi game in the Star Frontiers universe. It quickly morphed as neither I nor my players were that interested in the simulated artificial gravity mechanic at the time. Would be a fun setting to officially adapt but I have a feeling that, like me, you will find that it sort of starts to look like any other sci-fi setting once you rip the Star Frontiers mechanics out of it.

Which one, the series or the movie version? And there was/is a Western Hero book.

I would like to see the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" universe.   It is one of the very few series out there that has successfully combined characters from wildly divergent power levels (normal to epic to demigod to god) in the same story line and yet make them fit smoothly.  He was also able to present beings that do not think like humans in a manner that avoids the  "human in a rubber mask" syndrome.   But be warned the first book of the series "Gardens of the Moon" is a bit rough to get through.  The author jumps right in the middle of his fully developed world and you have a LOT of terms, titles and name thrown at you in short order.  But once over the hump the series is one of the best realized fantasy worlds I have seen in years for depth of detail and history. 

This is also why I don't believe it will ever be actually done.  

Definitely the series.

I too would enjoy Star Frontiers setting. I thought the aliens were alittle different especialy the 'blob' ones. (Can't remember their name)

Dralasites, IIRC. I loved their quirk of enjoying bad human comedy. It was weird and somewhat alien without being incomprehensible.

They were cool and the Vrusk and Yazirians. Different from the "bumpy heads" you might expect from a setting with its feel. I liked that especially at the time because it was inspirational, a reminder that RPGs have an infinite "special effects budget" so you didn't have to stick to the limits of tv and movies.

A Rifts conversion will never happen. The IP owner thinks that any such conversion will negatively impact his sales. Same with fan sites and other fan based content. The IP's owner is a jerk.

Indeed he is, I have had dealings with him - I own a lot of the Rfits and Palladium stuff and did a lot of mega-verse stuff with it back in the 80's & 90's. Brought all sorts together, TMNT, Unltd, Mechanoids, N&S, BtS & Rifts.  My gaming group at the time loved various material, the game sessions I ran... then there was the system - oh dear!

I did a lot of work to bring it together and work with better conversions between books, things like SDC & MDC, and all sorts of other stuff. Got in touch and even suggested possible ways to convert to and from Palladium.  

I could say a lot more, but it isn't required as Tasha's statement covers it.

I have recently been looking at a way to do TMNT under HERO, using package deals and the like to tailor things for the use of BIO-e etc.  Still in my mind and on the back-burner.

I am currently (actively) working on a conversion of ICE's Cyberspace. I have a campaign that I want to run again, but the system is hard work.

I am building a part-generate, part-build character creation process, to very closely mimic Cyberspace - I want new characters to closely emulate originals (in their converted form). I have also done work on the conversion of existing characters.

I'd love to see:

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space; after reading the UNIT sourcebook, I'd briefly considered doing a conversion of that...plus I'd love to play in the Doctor Who universe

Primeval: Uses the same system as Doctor Who.  I loved the TV series, and this would just be a fun campaign.

A Rifts conversion will never happen. The IP owner thinks that any such conversion will negatively impact his sales. Same with fan sites and other fan based content. The IP's owner is a jerk.

I could say a lot more, but it isn't required as Tasha's statement covers it.

LOL...  I see I'm not the only one...... :rofl:

FWIW the handling of IP and licensing and allowing/denying third party support is something RPG publishers never seem to get right.  How many games had, or have, weird IP licensing arrangements that prevent new publication and strangle the line?

For some reason Palladium is still in business. He has enough dedicated players and a LOT of books to attract new players. He's also ended up with some fairly decent Licences that haven't hurt either (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Robotech).

TSR nearly strangled their business with IP lawsuits back in the 90's (or late 80's?) Under WotC OGL revitilized gaming while also diluting the value of a bunch of companies and publishing a ton of crap. 4e's attempt to return to a highly restrictive licence blew up in Hasbro's face as former OGL companies decided to keep making OGL products and further version branch D&D.

I wonder if Hero's more restrictive 5e and earlier licences Harmed the brand.

TSR nearly strangled their business with IP lawsuits back in the 90's (or late 80's?)

The reign of Dark Lady Lorraine Williams -- thrice-blasted be her name -- lasted from 1986 to 1996, when a magician hailing from far-off shorelines arrived, hailing in a new age.