Please Help Me Name My Character

Gideon

So I'm in two fairly new games, with two different GMs, and I cannot come up with Hero names for either of my characters.  I have both of their normal identities down, I know their powers, personalities and even what they look like, but I simply can't come up with Superhero names for them.  Please help.  Thank you in advance.

Character #1:  Dr. Bill Matheson helped build a private use spaceship, and was part of its crew.  Shortly after activating the ship's hyperdrive, the engines malfunctioned and exploded.  The ship was hurtled back to earth, and upon crashing the survivors discovered they had super powers (very much like the Fantastic Four or U-Foes).  Bill changed from being a 5'10" tall, 146 pound man with an average/ thin build to a 5'1"tall 300 pound man with an athletic build.  He has control over his density and mass (similarly to Vision, but he hasn't learned how to decrease past his "normal").

I want him to have a very golden age or silver age style name, but I have drawn a complete blank.

Character #2: This character currently has no name at all.  The campaign is taking place in space and is going to be very "cosmic" in scope, and very classic Marvel in style.  My character is the last Deity from an alien pantheon that was destroyed in a Ragnarok-like cataclysm hundreds of years ago.  Originally he was the demi-god of heroism.  He was a mortal who was tasked to go on several odyssey-style quests.  Upon completion of the tasks, it was determined that he truly exemplified the qualities of a hero the gods felt their worshippers should strive for and he was granted god-hood.

When the cataclysm that destroyed his pantheon (and the world he was worshiped on) came, the leaders devised a plan to save the pantheon.  They all transformed into a form of energy and retreated inside the Hero-god (my PC).  So he now hosts their consciousness and roams the galaxy helping people.  The results are that he has gained significant power and a few minor extra abilities.  He also has the ability to (occasionally) ask the other gods for information or advice.

As the "hero-god" he is meant to be very similar to Marvel's Thor or Hercules.  He is strong, can fly, incredibly tough and has a magic sword that can shoot bolts of raw energy.

I want him to either have a really awesome "Deity name" ALA Thor, or a cool "Galactic Superhero name".

Again, thank you for the help.

No Beta-Ray Bill love to be found here, eh? :P

To tell you the truth, I thought the era of such names for supers characters was over when Walt Simonson created him. :rolleyes: But for Golden/Silver Age style I think your "Gamma Wave Bob" is quite appropriate.

In that spirit I might as well reprint a suggestion I gave for another character name request which might fit this one, and which happens to have a patriotic theme: "Manifest Density." (The original requester didn't go for that one, so it's up for grabs.) :D

I like some of the suggestions so far, but I still can't decide.

If it helps Dr. Matheson also has powers pertaining to torque (the GM has called it "mass shifting").  He has powers like an HA with double knockback, and an area of effect "shockwave" with zero range and requires striking a surface.  These powers are in a multipower that also includes his density increase, and all of them are fixed slots (purposeful major character flaw.  He uses one of his "special momentum based attacks" his density returns to normal.)

The deity character, I had hoped to NOT use a name that referred to his being a "host" to the rest of his pantheon.  Its something about the character I had actually hoped to keep secret IG for a while.

@Hyper-man:  Beta-Ray Bill is one of my favorite Marvel characters.  Simply "Gamma-wave Bob" doesn't fit either of these characters, regardless of how much I like it as a name.  (no gamma waves, not named bob)

Austronaut with Density increase:

Neutron - after Neutron Stars, the densest stuff before Black Holes

The Hero that is a Pantheon:

Paladin - someone who does quests for gods.

Phoenix - playing with him comming "from the ashes" of his home world. And I asume the gods in him have some plan to be reborn.

[Enter Planets name] Knight

Last Knight of the Gods

What always helps me is either using a Synonym or a Annagram.

Here is a Anagram generator: http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/

He isn't quite a "hero that is a pantheon".  Think more Firestorm and the Professor and less Legion.  His powers increased (all background stuff) because he houses their essences, and he can attempt to commune with them, but most of the time the "essences" remain dormant.

Character #1:

Red Dwarf

White Dwarf

Brown Dwarf

These combine his height, his density increase and his background as an astronaut.

Character #2:

In his alien pantheon, he is known as Mayak-Kel. Like Thor, he can use that as his "hero name."

However, his fame as a demigod has spread far beyond his alien planet. The stories about him have spread (and changed) into all sorts of myths and legends throughout the galaxy. Word of him has even spread to earth. But on earth, the stories describe him as an archangel: Michael to the Christians/Jews, Mikhail to the Muslims. For that reason, in his secret ID, he could call himself Michael.

Character #1:  Dr. Bill Matheson helped build a private use spaceship, and was part of its crew.  Shortly after activating the ship's hyperdrive, the engines malfunctioned and exploded.  The ship was hurtled back to earth, and upon crashing the survivors discovered they had super powers (very much like the Fantastic Four or U-Foes).  Bill changed from being a 5'10" tall, 146 pound man with an average/ thin build to a 5'1"tall 300 pound man with an athletic build.  He has control over his density and mass (similarly to Vision, but he hasn't learned how to decrease past his "normal").

How about "Dwarfstar", or "Doctor Neutronium"?

As the "hero-god" he is meant to be very similar to Marvel's Thor or Hercules.  He is strong, can fly, incredibly tough and has a magic sword that can shoot bolts of raw energy.

Again, thank you for the help.

Maybe "Paragon", or "The Exemplar" (X's are always cool...)

Character #1:

Red Dwarf

White Dwarf

Brown Dwarf

Perhaps we should explain what all those Star types mean (to avoid picking the wrong):

Red Dwarf: Very common (at least near us), and small/light (compared to Sol) thus not very hot or bright. However, also very long lived (Trillions of years are possible)

White Dwarf: This is what our Sun will some day be. Very Dense (third a black hole; Sol's mass in Earth Radus) and only emits rest-heat, but for very long times.

Neutron Star: What happens to Stars between Sol and those that become a Black hole. Second Desest in teh Universe (around 10 times Sol's mass, radius as low as 10 km). Best know exaples are Pulsars.

Brown Dwarf: A failed Star or really large Gas giant (it's kinda right on the border between the two types). Not massive enough to get Hydrogen Fusion running so not really a star. Make it heavy enough for H-Fusion and you get a Red Dwarf.

Black Dwarf: A White Dwarf that cooled out. Due to the time White Dwarfs need be formed and to cool out, should not exist in the Universe yet.

Red Giant: Helium Fusion Star. What the sun will be before becomming a White Dwarf. Not very bright or hot, but really big (will swallow earths orbit) and rather long lived.

Exotic Star: When you get a Neutron Star really close to the Black Hole border without crossing it, but only exists in theory. If one exists we have no idea what it is made of (It will be something between a Electrons and a Singularity). Subtypes are "Electroweak", "Preon" and "Boson" Stars.

If he also has Growth looking at te Giant Stars might be an idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_giant#Yellow_giants

I like some of the suggestions so far, but I still can't decide.

If it helps Dr. Matheson also has powers pertaining to torque (the GM has called it "mass shifting").  He has powers like an HA with double knockback, and an area of effect "shockwave" with zero range and requires striking a surface.  These powers are in a multipower that also includes his density increase, and all of them are fixed slots (purposeful major character flaw.  He uses one of his "special momentum based attacks" his density returns to normal.)

That sounds a lot like the power suite of my board name character minus the oihid part (just reduce the Multipower from a 120 to a 60 Reserve). 

How about Dr. Hypermass?

*The link is to one of the earliest threads I started and includes another link to the the final 5e version of the character in post #1.

I want him to have a very golden age or silver age style name, but I have drawn a complete blank.

I was thinking Captain Cosmic would be appropriate for this character.  Play up the outer space aspect of his origin, give him a spacesuit for his "costume" with a built-in rocket pack and laser weapon.  (I know what you're thinking--but I submit there is no character representative of Silver Age space adventure than he.)

Character #2: This character currently has no name at all.  The campaign is taking place in space and is going to be very "cosmic" in scope, and very classic Marvel in style.  My character is the last Deity from an alien pantheon that was destroyed in a Ragnarok-like cataclysm hundreds of years ago.  Originally he was the demi-god of heroism.  He was a mortal who was tasked to go on several odyssey-style quests.  Upon completion of the tasks, it was determined that he truly exemplified the qualities of a hero the gods felt their worshippers should strive for and he was granted god-hood.

When the cataclysm that destroyed his pantheon (and the world he was worshiped on) came, the leaders devised a plan to save the pantheon.  They all transformed into a form of energy and retreated inside the Hero-god (my PC).  So he now hosts their consciousness and roams the galaxy helping people.  The results are that he has gained significant power and a few minor extra abilities.  He also has the ability to (occasionally) ask the other gods for information or advice.

I want him to either have a really awesome "Deity name" ALA Thor, or a cool "Galactic Superhero name".

I would call him VOLTHAK The Magnificent--and yes, his name is always spelled out in bold caps.  Very Kirby-esque in appearance, always speaks at full volume, loves to taunt his foes, loves to be the first one into battle and to celebrate when the battle is done.  Fiercely loyal to his friends and teammates, he would rather die than abandon them or surrender to the enemy.

Hope that helps.

He uses one of his "special momentum based attacks"

There's your name.

Doctor Momentous!

As for the Alien God:

BeaconStar.

A translation of the name He was given upon apotheosis, when He became the God of that world's Pole Star - a symbol of a guiding light, exemplar of his people's values.

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary suggests Professor Torque and Urgulon or Kilkamash

So, I finally played the game with my "god" character.  I actually took two of the names suggested.

He is Sharos Havensoul The Wanderer, but he operates as a hero under the name of Archon.

The other character: Dr. Matheson, I've played before, but its a game we only play about once a month right now.  I haven't decided but I'm leaning towards either Neutron or Doctor Density.

If people have other ideas I'd love to hear them.  And again, Thanks

• 2 weeks later...