Thinking of starting a "Borderlands" campaign

Funksaw

Been a while since I played HERO, so I'll have to get up to speed, but it seems like that's the best system to use for a campaign set in the Borderlands Universe. 

The big thing is how to design the weapons and armor - my players will be new, so I'll probably be just handing an index card with the weapon on them. 

Here's what I want to take from Borderlands:

1) Each player has a certain amount of hit points that they can take before they fall over.

2) Armor *mostly* comes in the form of "force-shields," which are ablative, but very quickly regenerate when not under enemy fire.

3) Guns *do* cost character points, but these points will come from a VPP with the limitation (Can only be changed at gun shops/vending machines or by looting a dead body.)  

I figure that each character should have about 100 points for basic character stuff, 30 character points in their VPP for guns, 20 for a shield, and 50 points which can be placed anywhere among the three groups.  

For those of you who have played it, any ideas? 

1) You that already. It is called stun. Or body.*

*Considering that the worst you get on 0 HP is a revive, I think stun seems more fitting here.

2) Those never really model well in HERO*. And frankly having to use "Ablative, regenerating Shields" is actually a flaw in Computer Game Design. It was also heavily used in SciFi to build tension - "Shields at 40%" is implying a not very good tactical situation without requiring the ship to take permanent damage.

I prefer going the Hero route: Shields give resistant Protection. When the enemy still does STUN or BODY damage to you after the Shield, you have your "dramatic Tension" right there.

*There are at least 3 different approaches for this, but I will not write them down until you are really certain you want to go that way.

3) APG I 191 has a Resource Point System, wich works like what you want to do.

Powerlevel: Since equipment is at least partially bought with Points and inate ability are very common, you should consider putting this into the Superheroic powerlevels (300 too 500 point range). Basically it's a superheroic setting with "Can't Kill" and "Won't die permanently".

• 2 weeks later...