Follow up about summons and variable power pools

ACormello

Question

I've been examining the framework in one of my player's powers, which allows him to summon drones (yes, same power as my last question) and I've encountered a snag: the power in question doesn't summon identical drones; rather, each OAF object represents a specific summoned drone with its own VPP loadout. Does this require the "summons specific being" advantage even though the summon can potential summon a number of different drones? 

And for the other part of the question, in a VPP loadout one of the drones he's proposed a drone has a few one shot rockets with an actual cost of 9 but an active cost of 38. The vpp only has a control cost of 46; can the drone fire off two or all three rockets in a single phase, or is it limited to firing them one at a time like in a multipower?

In an unrelated topic, regarding triggers: when a trigger requires a Turn to reset, does the character with the trigger have to spend a full turn resetting it? Or can the trigger automatically reset while the character does other things?

Edit: Additional question and typo correction. 

1 answer to this question

1.  If a character can Summon a variety of different types of drones, he probably needs the Expanded Class Advantage (see 6E1 290) for his Summon. The value of the Advantage is up to the GM (with guidelines listed in the rules). However, in this case, if I understand you correctly, the drones are built identically, but each has a VPP so that they can in effect be very different drones. Technically speaking that’s only one type of drone so Expanded Class wouldn’t be required — but it’s weird technicalities like this that are why we have GMs. If he’s using the VPP-based drones in ways that effectively make them very different, and you as GM think the Summon’s going to impact the campaign as if they’re different, you can require him to buy Expanded Class for the power at whatever value you consider appropriate.

Summon Specific Being isn’t required in this case. That Advantage contemplates Summoning a specific, named individual.

2.  If the Active Point cost of a power fits within a VPP’s Control Cost, the character can buy the power via the VPP and use it normally (however that power’s defined normally). The fact that the Active Cost + Real Cost = greater than the Control Cost is irrelevant. In this case, how many rockets the drone can fire depends on how the power’s built (e.g., does it have Autofire) and what Combat Maneuvers the drone uses.

3.  A character with a Triggered power has to spend the full amount of indicated time resetting the Trigger; he can’t simply “start” the reset and then do other things while he waits for the time to run out. For example, if a Trigger tales 1 Turn to reset, then resetting it requires the character’s full attention for that 1 Turn; he can’t do anything else during that Turn.