Ulitmate Vehicle Challenge

Tamashii2000

Ok here is a small challenge.

At the very begining of the 1981 film Heavy Metal there is a short scene where a car is dropped out of the bottom of a space shuttle, drops down through the atmosphere and lands on a road. the driver shifts gears.. lets lose with a parachute out the back and then drives on his merry way.

How would you make that car?

Very carefullly. ;)

Okay, for real. For game purposes, I don't think anything more than a parachute attached to the car (TUV page 71, sidebar) would be needed. A detail-minded GM might ask for an advanced suspension (extra DEF on the undercarriage, only for rough landings (-1), and/or some Flight or Gliding for the same purpose), but overall I think the parachute should be sufficient.

Well, that and maybe some Life Support for the high altitude... :D

Originally posted by Tamashii2000

Heh actualy, the car was a convertable, and the driver was wearing a space suit..so Life support would not be nessassary for the car.

:P

Depends on whether the engine was running (never seen Heavy Metal). If the driver didn't start it up until after landing, then no need for LS.

well first of all you have to add some COM to the car, it was a 1953 Corvette after all, some extra PRE seems likely too.

Gliding is a given since the car clearly was under control during the decent and as I recall the parachute wasn't used to slow the decent, it was used once the car hit the ground to slow its forward velocty to a manageable level (and looked cool), ablative armor vs reentry seems likely since the driver used the windshild wipers to clear the windshield of ash. As mentioned the car is a convertible so the life support was probably provided by the space suit. Otherwise just a regular classic auto.

How about Harry Canyons taxi, that may be a bit more difficult. remote laser gun, armor, disintogrator ray, big ol glove box of weapons, jet drive etc.

If you have not seen Heavy Metal you must go, NOW, hurry up.

Anyone see the second one, I never heard anything about it until it came out on DVD and was wondering if its worth while.

Re: Ulitmate Vehicle Challenge

Ok here is a small challenge.

At the very begining of the 1981 film Heavy Metal there is a short scene where a car is dropped out of the bottom of a space shuttle, drops down through the atmosphere and lands on a road. the driver shifts gears.. lets lose with a parachute out the back and then drives on his merry way.

How would you make that car?

speaking of that movie... never watch it with a bretherin youth pastor :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Toadmaster

well first of all you have to add some COM to the car, it was a 1953 Corvette after all, some extra PRE seems likely too.

Gliding is a given since the car clearly was under control during the decent and as I recall the parachute wasn't used to slow the decent, it was used once the car hit the ground to slow its forward velocty to a manageable level (and looked cool), ablative armor vs reentry seems likely since the driver used the windshild wipers to clear the windshield of ash. As mentioned the car is a convertible so the life support was probably provided by the space suit. Otherwise just a regular classic auto.

How about Harry Canyons taxi, that may be a bit more difficult. remote laser gun, armor, disintogrator ray, big ol glove box of weapons, jet drive etc.

If you have not seen Heavy Metal you must go, NOW, hurry up.

Anyone see the second one, I never heard anything about it until it came out on DVD and was wondering if its worth while.

I have it on DvD, definitly a worth while film but not quiet as good as the original.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Irrelavent. Starting the engine has nothing to do with whether the driver can breathe.

Life Suport for a vehical is difrent than Life Suport for a human. The Life Suport repersents what enviroment a vehical can work in without major problems. Think about it this way...a can needs to eat (fule...gasolien), needs air (exhast), and needs water (radiator, to cool the engin). This, a car is like a person...well, almost like one.

Heh, once I put togather the car and post its stats, I am going to do a thread on the HM characters and thier stats..

Stats for Taarna anyone?

Taarna would be relatively easy, I would think. Base 75+75 hero, give her about 50 XP, and make her a well-travelled warrior. I don't recall her doing anything superhuman - just incredibly skilled human. Maybe go 100+100, but I don't see that you'd need to go any higher.

Originally posted by steriaca

Life Suport for a vehical is difrent than Life Suport for a human. The Life Suport repersents what enviroment a vehical can work in without major problems. Think about it this way...a can needs to eat (fule...gasolien), needs air (exhast), and needs water (radiator, to cool the engin). This, a car is like a person...well, almost like one.

This is assuming that one is using the optional rules in DH#7. The only rules called upon were those in TUV (well, and FREd), from which those rules were cut. Thus, Life Support on a Vehicle affects the occupants, but any restrictions on where a Vehicle can go is either a Power Limitation, Physical Limitation, Susceptibility, or Special Effect.

And it's spelled "Vehicle," not "Vehical."

Originally posted by Stormraven

Taarna would be relatively easy, I would think. Base 75+75 hero, give her about 50 XP, and make her a well-travelled warrior. I don't recall her doing anything superhuman - just incredibly skilled human. Maybe go 100+100, but I don't see that you'd need to go any higher.

The only two possibly superhuman actions that she did was when she destroyed the loc-nar in a blaze of glory (now..thats one charge.. Kills character!) and when she put her fist through the face of the mutant leader.. and I do mean THROUGH the face.

other then that she was just a realy nasty swordswoman (in the bar she took 3 mens heads off with 2 swings of her sword.)

Bob Greenwade wrote:

This is assuming that one is using the optional rules in DH#7. The only rules called upon were those in TUV (well, and FREd), from which those rules were cut. Thus, Life Support on a Vehicle affects the occupants, but any restrictions on where a Vehicle can go is either a Power Limitation, Physical Limitation, Susceptibility, or Special Effect.

I've always assumed that a Vehicle was like any other character in that it requires a base atmosphere type, "food" (fuel), "sleep" (time to cool down), and so on; Bob, I think you mention something like that somewhere in TUV (I just went back and looked but couldn't find the exact place). I would think that, for example, if you wanted a vehicle that could operate in air and space, or a vehicle that needed refueling only once a year or not at all, you'd buy various forms of Life Support for it. But then you need to differentiate between Life Support: Does Not Eat (i.e. requires no fuel) for the vehicle and Does Not Eat (i.e. a galley) for the crew. Or, for a ship that can't operate in an atmosphere, you can define its base "atmosphere" as vacuum; Life Support: Self Contained Breathing would then only apply to the crew.

I think I'm not expressing myself very well today; I hope you get the idea.

I think that's related to Bob's point in TUV that vehicles don't need Environmental Movement for an environment it was designed to work in. If it can handle multiple environments, then you should figure out the primary environment, and buy Environmental Movement for the other environment(s). Nothing is said about Life Support, except that, obviously, it doesn't have to pay for Usable by Others to apply it to occupants.

The only two possibly superhuman actions that she did was when she destroyed the loc-nar in a blaze of glory (now..thats one charge.. Kills character!) and when she put her fist through the face of the mutant leader.. and I do mean THROUGH the face.

other then that she was just a realy nasty swordswoman (in the bar she took 3 mens heads off with 2 swings of her sword.)

:shrug:

I have a martial artist character - built on 75+75 - who could routinely put her fist through a bandit's chest and show him his heart.

(Okay, a bit of hyperbole there, she did it once or twice)

With Hit Locations, a decent strength, and maybe one or two extra DCs (well within the realm of heroic level) I could see doing that. Say that between strength and Martial arts you're doing a 2d6 HKA. Strike to the head does x2 Body.

Now, if you have CSLs, you could add more damage, but say you stick with what you've got, putting your CSLs towards the OCV penalty to hit the head. Get lucky and roll 12, you've just done 24 body to the luckless Mutant. Say 'hi' to your brains, mutant.

As for the Loc-Nar, my take on it was that she simply grabbed it and dove into a volcano (I hope I'm remembering that right). Where she showed anything 'superhuman' was in her willpower not to be immediately destroyed by it, but otherwise she just showed nobility. I wouldn't require a PC to point that out.

Originally posted by Stormraven

:shrug:

I have a martial artist character - built on 75+75 - who could routinely put her fist through a bandit's chest and show him his heart.

(Okay, a bit of hyperbole there, she did it once or twice)

With Hit Locations, a decent strength, and maybe one or two extra DCs (well within the realm of heroic level) I could see doing that. Say that between strength and Martial arts you're doing a 2d6 HKA. Strike to the head does x2 Body.

Hmm, Point, but then again I did say 'Possibly superhuman'

[quote}

As for the Loc-Nar, my take on it was that she simply grabbed it and dove into a volcano (I hope I'm remembering that right). Where she showed anything 'superhuman' was in her willpower not to be immediately destroyed by it, but otherwise she just showed nobility. I wouldn't require a PC to point that out.

No, the vocano was were the loc-nar was 'resting', it was a mountan before the Loc-Nar crashed into it and caused it to erupt green lava. What she did was fly over the crater grab her sword in both hands at which point lightning erupted form the sword and covered her body and she then dived into the loc-nar.

Originally posted by archer

I've always assumed that a Vehicle was like any other character in that it requires a base atmosphere type, "food" (fuel), "sleep" (time to cool down), and so on; Bob, I think you mention something like that somewhere in TUV (I just went back and looked but couldn't find the exact place). I would think that, for example, if you wanted a vehicle that could operate in air and space, or a vehicle that needed refueling only once a year or not at all, you'd buy various forms of Life Support for it. But then you need to differentiate between Life Support: Does Not Eat (i.e. requires no fuel) for the vehicle and Does Not Eat (i.e. a galley) for the crew. Or, for a ship that can't operate in an atmosphere, you can define its base "atmosphere" as vacuum; Life Support: Self Contained Breathing would then only apply to the crew.

I don't disagree with your assumption; I wrote my manuscript with that same thought. Steve cut all my text on Vehicle Life Support (as opposed to Life Support for the occupants), leaving those for the article in DH#7. What I said in my previous post is my assumption of his reasoning behind it. You may have seen one of my earlier manuscripts for review, and be thinking of that text.

As it stands in the final product (unless I'm misreading or misunderstanding something), any Life Support bought by a Vehicle apply only to the occupants.

The Heavy Metal Car

Ok, here it is, a few days late.. working thirds is a pain. Was easier to make then I expected.. I gave it a 5 def to survive re-entery, Mega-scaled gliding for the 'approach' to the ground and the para-chute I made 'mega-scaled' movement enhanced deceleration (only for breaking) Next up.. Harry Cannon's car, how would you make it.

Heavy Metal Car

Player:

Val Char Cost

30 STR 0

15 DEX 15

14 BODY 0

3 SPD 5

25" RUN 0

0" SWIM -2

0" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 47

Cost Power

16 Ground Movement +19" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x4)), 1 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 6 Hours each (+1/4), Fuel is Difficult to obtain (-1/4) (43 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Only on appropriate Terrian (-1/4) (added to Primary Value)

5 Aero-Drop ability: Gliding 5", Mega-Scale (+1/4) (6 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4)

2 Breaking ParaChute (Drops Vehicles Speed to Max-Ground Non-combat): Custom Power (10 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), 1 Recoverable Charges (-1 1/4), Combat Deceleration (-1), Mega-scale (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 23

Total Character Cost: 70

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Depending on your perspective, Heavy Metal 2000 is either a halfway decent sci-fi story with a lot of gratuitous T&A, or halfway decent sci-fi T&A with a lot of gratuitous plot.

The main character seemed to be somewhere between strongly, if shallowly, characterized, and a collection of "tough chick" stereotypes.

Overall, I would give the movie a C: it fulfilled the requirements of a movie, but that's pretty much it.

If anyone actually finds my micro-review worthwhile, I'm a little surprised, but grateful.

Zeropoint