Combat Luck

TheRealDeal

Question

Hi Steve,

I would like some clarification on what was intended to negate Combat Luck in a few example situations below. I would like to know if Combat Luck should apply to the following situations, in your opinion as the game designer. I know the GM has the final say and all that, but I would like some guidance. Sorry if this was the wrong place for this, here goes:

Hit by a fireball blast area of effect.

Grabbed and squeezed for damage in a bear hug by an Owlbear monster.

Hit with an Acid Attack that is a constant damage power, does CL apply to the continuing damage?

Crushed by a falling wall or between 2 walls closing in on you (like in a trap).

Falling damage.

I think those should be enough for me to get the idea, thanks.

1 answer to this question

Personally, I'd definitely allow Combat Luck to apply to the first two situations you list. The latter three I would be less likely unless the player made a convincing argument based on the circumstances.

For example, falling damage -- there are lots of possible circumstances there. If a character falls out of a plane into a featureless field, there may not be much argument for Combat Luck (though we've all read about situations like that where someone mysteriously survives an accident like that when they really shouldn't, that might be Combat Luck at work). OTOH, if a character falls off a building in the Big City he might argue that he could slow his fall by grabbing onto cornices, flagpoles, awnings, etc. and in a sufficiently cinematic campaign I'd accept that explanation for applying Combat Luck without hesitation.