In other news...

tkdguy

Gravity wave observatories find merging neutron star event

From the press release:

The LIGO data indicated that two astrophysical objects located at the relatively close distance of about 130 million light-years from Earth had been spiraling in toward each other. It appeared that the objects were not as massive as binary black holes — objects that LIGO and Virgo have previously detected. Instead, the inspiraling objects were estimated to be in a range from around 1.1 to 1.6 times the mass of the sun, in the mass range of neutron stars. A neutron star is about 20 kilometers, or 12 miles, in diameter and is so dense that a teaspoon of neutron star material has a mass of about a billion tons.

Giddy Scientists are ADORABLE!

;)

Yeah, excuse me while I bounce up and down and go, "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

Edit: Pie in the face coincidence: This event happened 132 years to the day after the first observation of S Andromedae, the first supernova seen in M31, back in 1885.

Kind of wish Markdoc still frequented these forums, as this is right up his alley.

Successful treatment for sleeping sickness with a pill, though it has not yet had a proper clinical trial. That's a huge gain if it is as good as billed.

That link is to a Nature article; I don't know if it's behind the subscriber wall or not.

Really? Try seeking out tech news sites. The reason the sci-tech part of the newspaper used to be my favorite part is that tech advancements are usually good news.

Not for me, since technology hates me, and possibly wants to kill me, it means bad news for me.

Note: Like I've already mentioned, the first day I ever end up with a self-driving car, it will probably intentionally weave into oncoming traffic.

Robotic car voice: Bon-zai!

Me: :jawdrop: 

Not for me, since technology hates me, and possibly wants to kill me, it means bad news for me.

Note: Like I've already mentioned, the first day I ever end up with a self-driving car, it will probably intentionally weave into oncoming traffic.

Robotic car voice: Bon-zai!

Me: :jawdrop:

Or your car could be an ATMOS..http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/ATMOS