In other news...

tkdguy

1 hour ago, Sociotard said:

I think a civil servant should have fallen on his sword, but was protected instead.

1 hour ago, Sociotard said:

my compatriots are too bloodthirsty to allow it.

Yet you're calling for (metaphorical) blood over this screw up. It wasn't the guy who clicked the wrong thing from a pull down menu who needs a new career. It's the UI designer for a critical system and the moron who approved that designer's work who should consider new careers. Firing the guy who fell victim to their incompetence would be petty.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Yeah, it is kind of easy to drift into poltics at that.

Honestly, I feel we should be able to Critizes Trump without someone bringing up "one party state" and "big conspiracy" stuff.

Trump the human being in power is a issue, that has nothing to do with Republican or Democrat. Or even being American. I am not a American, and I am worried sick about that guy.

British multinational construction and management services company Carillion has collapsed and is undergoing "compulsory liquidation" -- i.e., everything they still have that's worth anything is being auctioned -- which seems likely to recover only a couple of percent of the company's obligations, from what little I have seen.  They don't seem to have much going in the US (though, of course, stockholders in the US just like all others will lose whatever investment they had), but that's about the only place they didn't.  Lots of shouting going on in UK media right now.

4 hours ago, Christopher said:

Honestly, I feel we should be able to Critizes Trump without someone bringing up "one party state" and "big conspiracy" stuff.

We should be able to criticize any U.S. president without bringing up conspiracy theories or "aid and comfort to the enemy" BS.  Slamming the president's actions and policies is a fundamental American duty. It just needs to not go off into the weeds with birtherism or other flat earth nonsense.

12 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Swedish Hospital reports Natural Cycles 'contraceptive app' to regulator after 37 unwanted pregnancies

Instant poll: what ending would be the most amusing to append to that?

• In one week!
  • Among girls Death Tribble snogged
  • In section 243 during last weekend's Steelers-Jaguars game
  • In the frozen foods section of the local Piggly Wiggly
  • Involving four dropbears, six jackalopes, and the casts of three Mexican soap operas
  • ... Foxbat wiggles his eyebrows :eg:
  • ... cross-talk with an app for fast pizza deliveries is rumored to be a contributor
  • all due on Groundhog Day!

1 minute ago, Cancer said:

Instant poll: what ending would be the most amusing to append to that?

• In one week!
  • Among girls Death Tribble snogged
  • In section 243 during last weekend's Steelers-Jaguars game
  • In the frozen foods section of the local Piggly Wiggly
  • Involving four dropbears, six jackalopes, and the casts of three Mexican soap operas
  • ... Foxbat wiggles his eyebrows :eg:
  • ... cross-talk with an app for fast pizza deliveries is rumored to be a contributor
  • all due on Groundhog Day!

Make a poll. Also if you can think of others as well--more poll options! 

16 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Swedish Hospital reports Natural Cycles 'contraceptive app' to regulator after 37 unwanted pregnancies
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16895978/natural-cycles-contraceptive-app-unwanted-pregnancies-complaint

A bug perhaps?

They say: 100% -93% = 7%.

700.000 users times 7% = 49.000 possible unwanted Pregnancies.

Considering I was conceived despite my mother being on the pill, I can personally attest to those error quotas. And those are only in case of proper useage.

Even the 93% alreaady seems to beat all the others:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27275788

And that quote was apparently certified by TÜV Süd. People responsbile from quite some high danger stuff. If I read it right, this is the category this App falls under:

https://www.tuev-sued.de/topics/health-medicine/healthcare-medical-devices

To nobody's surprise, Russell M. Nelson has been named the LDS Church's 17th President.

What is a surprise is that Thomas S. Monson's Second Counselor, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, was replaced in the First Presidency by Dallin F. Oaks. Uchtdorf had become a beloved figure among lay believers. He is a German former pilot, and well known for using aviation references in his talks. Since the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles makes those decisions in private (believing they are doing it with divine guidance), we will never know why Uchtdorf was demoted. (He remains on the quorum, whose members are appointed for life.

Of the three members of the First Presidency, the youngest is 84. President Nelson is 93.

Bluetooth is getting 20 years old this year:

The first meeting of the Bluetooth Special Interest Group members was in February 1998.

The proper formation was September 1998.

And then name was apparently picked 1997 and has a deep historical meaning:

" The name "Bluetooth" is an Anglicised version of the Scandinavian Blåtand/Blåtann (Old Norse blátǫnn), the epithet of the tenth-century king Harald Bluetooth who united dissonant Danish tribes into a single kingdom and, according to legend, also introduced Christianity. The idea of this name was proposed in 1997 by Jim Kardach of Intel who developed a system that would allow mobile phones to communicate with computers.[9] At the time of this proposal he was reading Frans G. Bengtsson's historical novel The Long Ships about Vikings and King Harald Bluetooth.[10][11] The implication is that Bluetooth does the same with communications protocols, uniting them into one universal standard.[12]"

16 hours ago, Bazza said:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16895978/natural-cycles-contraceptive-app-unwanted-pregnancies-complaint

A bug perhaps?

Doctors have a medical term for people who rely on the natural cycles method:

Parents.

I thought this was an interesting attempt to predict the future of Cryptocurrencies

https://hackernoon.com/what-will-bitcoin-look-like-in-twenty-years-7e75481a798c

TLDR:

1) The bubble will burst. Obviously. This is not unlike when the internet bubble burst, but growth continued after the bust. Crypto currencies will still exist after the bust, and will develop and grow. The Dutch still grow tulips, after all.

2) Government Cryptocurrency will be a thing. To some degree this is nonsense words, since if only the government or a couple banks control the blockchains, that's just a database of all exchanges. It represents a corruption of cryptocurrencies ideals.  It'll still happen. Authoritarian governments like the idea of that kind of database. Besides, modern monetary policy is useful and good. I'd expect that some future cryptocurrencies will try to hybridize in the virtues of a Reserve Bank.

3) Decentralized Cryptocurrency will still exist alongside it. I honestly dread a world where I have to think of my money in a dozen denominations. Yeesh. Anyway, he suggests that the top ones will need some killer app that doesn't exist yet.

4) This isn't even the Blockchains final form! This is one of the core pieces that makes Bitcoin work, but he expects lots of variety and experimentation on this front. He also mentions there will be many types of coin, which sounds awful, and that the user interface has to vastly improve. That last is obviously true, even if  the 'how is beyond me.

20 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

3) Decentralized Cryptocurrency will still exist alongside it. I honestly dread a world where I have to think of my money in a dozen denominations. Yeesh. Anyway, he suggests that the top ones will need some killer app that doesn't exist yet.

Why? Do you dread the world where you could think of your money as US Dollar, Euro or any of the other 100+ currencies on the planet?

Just becuase we have a currency on the planet, does not mean it maters to you in everyday life. Or ever, really.

20 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

4) This isn't even the Blockchains final form! This is one of the core pieces that makes Bitcoin work, but he expects lots of variety and experimentation on this front. He also mentions there will be many types of coin, which sounds awful, and that the user interface has to vastly improve. That last is obviously true, even if  the 'how is beyond me.

All the Blockchain is, is a Ledger with a buildin incentive to host it (Bitcoin farming).

Right now the Incentive is Bitcoin Generation + Transaction fees if you figure out the next segment of the Blockchain first.

As the Bitcoin generation slows down and eventuall stops, it will be reduced to the Transaction fees.

I only need to think about the multitude of currencies if I travel or order something from another country.  The implication in the article was that there would be many in day-to-day life.  There would be deflationary coins for your savings portfolio and inflationary coins for easy spending, and there might be single-business currencies. 

plus the tech will be adapted to things that aren't really money but can still use the blockchain concept, like voting (you have your vote and you make a transaction to send it in an the blockchain records that it happened) or reputation (hitting the like button is now a transaction. It costs nothing, but it gets recorded the same way)

Your description of the Blockchain is accurate, but the articles point is that it serves as consensus mechanism.  The ledgers exist so that we can all agree that a transaction was made, and people can't just copy-paste their money.  But the protocols that create that consensus can vary.  They seem to look a little different in Hashgraph or the other currencies in development.  The protocols themselves will change.

3 hours ago, Sociotard said:

The ledgers exist so that we can all agree that a transaction was made, and people can't just copy-paste their money.

That is true for any Ledger.

The only thing novel is that rather then have it hosted and managed by a commercial group with vested interest (like a bank), Bitcoins Ledger is shared. With the appropirate Incentives to be the host for it.

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

The Navy will court-martial two commanding officers (of USS Fitzgerald and USS McCain) and several lieutenants (of Fitzgerald) on charges including negligent homicide .  That official statement doesn't describe the circumstances, but other sources cite a collision with a freighter.

Propably this colission with a Freighter:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/18/world/asia/path-ship-hit-uss-fitzgerald.html