In other news...

tkdguy

I was lucky in that my family in Houston stayed dry. I realize that this has been a catastrophe of Epic scale and that the next hurricane following it makes it even worse. But the lack of coverage of the monsoon flooding in Bangladesh and Pakistan is rather disturbing to me as it has killed at least 1,200 people and the people's lives there can be hard enough for the floods hit

The flooding in Asia is covered in more detail by international news - local bias is local bias.

Also - sensationalism.  The death counts in Asian natural disasters are always high (especially in 2nd World countries with high populations, poor rural infrastructure, and limited viable living space). Familiarity breeds complacency. 

It's the same way with terrorist attacks - the death count in the middle east due to suicide bombers is obscene but since it's 'always' been that way it takes something truly out of the ordinary to stand out.

Emotional bandwidth.  7 people is a tragedy because you can readily envision 7 people.  7000 people is a statistic. 

And now there's another Category 4 bearing down on Florida. If it has anywhere near that potency when it hits Key West, even hurricane-savvy Floridians are going to be in trouble.

More to the point, Irma is now a category 5, and it's going to bullseye Puerto Rico, where 3,400,000 Americans live.

In the WA news today, the governor declared a state of emergency this afternoon due to our wildfires. I guess we didn't want to be outdone by Canada. Our car was covered in a light dusting of ash this morning. I've been holed up in a very hot home with the windows shut. Death by asthma or heat stroke. Decisions, decisions.

In the WA news today, the governor declared a state of emergency this afternoon due to our wildfires. I guess we didn't want to be outdone by Canada. Our car was covered in a light dusting of ash this morning. I've been holed up in a very hot home with the windows shut. Death by asthma or heat stroke. Decisions, decisions.

It's just as bad down here in Oregon. I'm about to take my second shower in the last ninety minutes because it's so dang hot and stuffy in my apartment. I actually had trouble breathing while trying to do laundry this evening.

It's just as bad down here in Oregon. I'm about to take my second shower in the last ninety minutes because it's so dang hot and stuffy in my apartment. I actually had trouble breathing while trying to do laundry this evening.

I'm not too great at the breathing thing most days. Smokey days, I just hide and sit around with my brain in idle mode due to low fuel supply. Here's to clear air for you guys too!

And now there's another Category 4 bearing down on Florida. If it has anywhere near that potency when it hits Key West, even hurricane-savvy Floridians are going to be in trouble.

Yeah, that one is a slight worry where I live, if it is expected to move up the states  (usually they die down before they get to VA, but older residents still talk of Camille, and even if it dies down, some flooding is always a possibility)

I wish we'd stuck with 'pollution bad' instead of switching to 'climate change.'..  it *worked*. We stopped using CFC and the ozone layer has mostly healed itself! That's pretty cool.

'Pollution bad' shares the same solutions but hasn't been turned into an 'us vs them' buzz topic - because it's more 'tangible'.  Far fewer people, no matter how 'fact resistant' humanity has become, can seriously look out their windows on the smoggiest day or look at trash floating in a harbour and say 'this is fine'.

Sigh.